Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our thread about PODCASTS
Good visibility for him but I'm doubting that recording what amounts to a few minutes of commentary means he's financially set.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
I just don't get it. Scott Weinberg is currently on Twitter talking about how he can't afford to get his car fixed. When you're in a situation like this, why would you pull the plug on the one thing you have that is overwhelmingly loved and respected and, I assume, bringing in some form of income?

I honestly can't picture the behind the scenes bullshit that would be so bad that they couldn't work it out. Even if they hated each other (which it doesn't seem they do, judging by their Twitter interactions), they don't even live in the same state, so they don't even have to be in the same room together when they record.

I still hope they manage to work things out. I really loved the show.
(07-23-2019, 07:29 AM)MichaelM Wrote: Good visibility for him but I'm doubting that recording what amounts to a few minutes of commentary means he's financially set.

I have no doubt the gig didn't pay much (and he was so far only on the 80s episode I think) but I figured he was known/established well enough for them to reach out to him to participate.  I don't follow Twitter so I only really know shit that crosses my path by chance.

It's good to see Amy Nicholson on there too though.
The most important thing in life is broads. Broads!
I think it's less about the actual financial costs of doing the podcasts and more about the time and energy it requires (measurable and abstract). If they're struggling financially and/or having to continually hustle to find paying gigs (meaning gigs that pay enough to meet their personal monthly budgetary needs [mortgage, car payment, food, etc.]), I can really understand something like the podcast "costing" too much in terms of what they have to pour into it to keep going.

I'm still only in 1982 WRT episodes but the last thing they said was that the patreon was at $1500 a month, which frankly isn't near enough to help with monthly expenses and bills, especially if you have children.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

Listened the the BEST MOVIES NEVER MADE episode about Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash... They have the scriptment and go into quite a bit of detail. I have to say, for a movie that at its core just *sounds* dumb, the treatment is pretty fucking great and surprisingly respectful of all 3 franchises. We missed out on something that could've been loads of fun.

The 'cast in general is very cool. It features some pretty interesting what-ifs, often with the writers of the scripts joining the hosts to detail what went wrong and is co-hosted by CHUD's (and Sonic the Hedgehog's!) own Josh Miller.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
Thanks for that--just started listening to that podcast. Holy cow that story about the sequel to E.T. is crazy.
Yeah it's nuts. It sounds like it would have been another Temple of Doom situation where a relatively light film gets a comically dark sequel. I have no freaking idea how it could've worked.
So listening to THE MATRIX episode of Beyond the Screenplay (which is a terrific podcast) - they have Patrick H Willems on, since he's apparently not just a huge MATRIX fan but a huge Keanu fan. And Willems plugs his new Can't Get Enough of Keanu podcast. Being a big KR apologist (and generally a fan of Willems' YouTube vids), I get excited and download four episodes of that 'cast.

Thanks to Willems' video essays, I'm expecting tight, smart analysis and commentary, punctuated with brief, clever bits of humor. And after that guest spot on Beyond the Screenplay, I'm expecting some entertaining and new angles on KR's career and films.

Nope.

Wlllems, for reasons beyond my understanding, has two of the bro-iest bros as cohosts and they bring the podcast to a fucking halt every time they talk. In the first 30 minutes of the episode on John Wick, ten minutes of are spent on nothing to do with Reeves or John Wick. Easily another 7 or 10 minutes is wasted by Wlliems' two cohosts cracking themselves up with horrible wordplay "jokes" on movie titles. If I'm being generous, maybe 12 minutes of the first 30 actually has anything to do with the podcast's name sake or the film the episode is supposed to focus on.

When these two can, for brief moments, bother to talk about the focus of the episode, their comments range from banal to mildly interesting. Neither of them, despite claiming to be "film snobs", ever come close to matching Willems' in terms of insights, research, or intelligence.

It's really disappointing. I really can't understand what Willems thinks these two bring to the podcast, but I'm done listening to it.

I still miss "80's All Over".
If anyone is interested in hearing one of the best improvisers who has ever lived deliver a sub-Michael Scott disaster of a “character” that is just a dozen outlandish, unworkable traits tossed one on top of another on top of another on top of another with no chance for her scene partners to work with any of it, then last week’s COMEDY BANG BANG has the goods for you.
I've only listened to half the episode so far, you mean Lapkus? 'cos that character's amazing. Just a bunch of nonsense piling upon nonsense.
I've had mixed feelings about Blank Check's series on Miyazaki (the Nausicaa and Totoro episodes are WAY too bit-heavy and not focused on the actual films remotely enough), but this week's episode on Spirited Away with guest David Rees is really special. It begins with Shrek talk - which seems like a bit until it takes a left turn into a comparison between the first two Academy Award winners for Animated Feature, Shrek and Spirited Away. Then Rees busts out Nigel Andrews' amazing six-out-of-five stars review for Spirited Away (which sets up an incredible payoff at the end of the episode), and then it's off to the races for two hours of impressively rich, thoughtful, focused discussion on one of the major films of the 21st century. Finally, this miniseries paid out like a slot machine.
(08-24-2019, 11:17 AM)levrock Wrote: I still miss "80's All Over".

As do I.

The real ending to Big...
I'm closing in on their coverage of the end of 1984 and am already sad knowing that there are only a handful of episodes left after that.

I've started listening to Around the World in 80's Movies. It's interesting in a sort of "how it got there" way. He started with the first 3 Star Wars movies and basically treated them as if they were movies no one has ever heard of before.
The Jeff Goldblum episode of Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend is a joy.

(10-02-2019, 08:02 AM)MichaelM Wrote: The Jeff Goldblum episode of Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend is a joy.

Still my favourite ep of that show. 

It's always pretty sweet when some performer you dig the hell out of turns out to be a delight in a conversation too. I just listened to John Turturro on Marc Maron's show (from back in June) yesterday and it was the same thing, I just fell more in love with Turturro.

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episode-10...n-turturro
I've started listening to "The West Wing Thing," a podcast where two lefties go after the bewildering and self-defeating centrist politics of "The West Wing." It's hilarious.

I've never actually seen "The West Wing."
(10-02-2019, 07:55 AM)martianman Wrote: I've started listening to Around the World in 80's Movies. It's interesting in a sort of "how it got there" way. He started with the first 3 Star Wars movies and basically treated them as if they were movies no one has ever heard of before.

I just listened to those first 3 on Star Wars. I like this dude's style.
(10-02-2019, 03:21 PM)bradito Wrote: I've started listening to "The West Wing Thing," a podcast where two lefties go after the bewildering and self-defeating centrist politics of "The West Wing." It's hilarious.

I've never actually seen "The West Wing."

chapo traphouse rebranded their show???
I don't know if I've ever brought it up, but I really enjoy the film junk podcast.  It's a bunch of Canadian guys in Ontario who are I think the longest-running or second-longest-running movie podcast ever?  Unlike other podcasts, it's got a very laid back and chill sort of informal ... Canadian exchange.  Check it out!

Jay's Aragorn impression is amazing.
Guys, guys, SHUT UP.

A new season of SUPEREGO dropped on Itunes today.