Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The MIAMI VICE Experience

I'm going to be honest and say that to add to the TV Guide references and in-jokes, you should have put in brackets, "Preempted from an earlier date," due to the delay in the article.

The Castillo Stare has got the potential for funniest recurring bit here, due to the way you edited everything together in the writeup.

And yeah, the way "Wonderful Tonight" gets used is well, wonderful.

Rene and Erix with the obscure allusions to a Sean Connery movie I thought nobody had remembered (except you two and me who never saw it) in the slightest was hilarious.

By the way, in 1985, Olmos did take the Emmy for Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series, and rightfully so as seen throughout the rest of the show, the man is a classic case of a deep, conflicted man with his skeletons in a big storage unit, and throughout the first season and into the next four, you'll learn that The Enigma of Castillo (possible occasional feature?) is one of the show's greatest strengths at acting and storytelling.

As for the next writeup, the infamous No Exit, where Bruce Willis gives a memorable guest turn as an abusive, uncompromising pimp, has so many elements to it (and I know one of you guys who post in the B thread or here has an AMAZING gif from this episode that needs to be here) that could very well make this particular experience the best Vice Experience yet. And I'm anticipating each new entry more than my collective excitement for a shit ton of big summer movies in 2011. So THERE.

This could explode. The marvel of this, Erix, is that it's a show that's either primarily forgotten, that some people think is cheesy, and smaller groups are able to champion the show's excellent and very often brilliant writing and directing (and yes, the acting). And it's exactly the sort of show that CHUD readers will be more than interested to read through.

Something tells me you're up to something good.

Oh yeah, something good.

Thanks for your support...

I'm glad someone got my Just Cause reference. It's not a good movie, or even a particularly popular one, but I threw that in there. My Ed Harris avatar also quotes Just Cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterTarantino View Post
 (and I know one of you guys who post in the B thread or here has an AMAZING gif from this episode that needs to be here)

If the person who made that gif you are referring to is willing to send it my way, I would probably use it in the piece.

Great write ups. I love how casually intense Olmos is. It's actually pretty cool that they didn't replace Sierra with a copy cat character, and took the opportunity to go in a different route with the superior officer character. Dennis Farina is the shit here, but I have to concur and that I like his second appearance on the show much better, but this episode had some pretty great guest stars.

On another note, I'm kind of surprised how fast I'm blowing through this show. I'm already at the third episode in season 2. I expected to get bored after about two or three episodes, but I'm still digging it. I was already a fan of the film Mann did in 06, and I think that watching the show is making me appreciate it even more, I just ordered a copy of it on blu ray and I'm planning on watching it after I finish the show.

I'm a little worried though moving on because I read that Mann took a backseat on producing duties after season 2.

Mann was more focused on launching Crime Story, not to mention working on MANHUNTER, after the first couple seasons of Vice. Don't worry too much, you won't notice much in the way of a quality dip in the 3rd season. Lots of memorable outings there. After that season you will see the dip. Oh my Lord will you see the dip. But on the bright side this blog just might bring out the fun in even the crummier of season 4/5 episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moltisanti View Post

Mann was more focused on launching Crime Story, not to mention working on MANHUNTER, after the first couple seasons of Vice. Don't worry too much, you won't notice much in the way of a quality dip in the 3rd season. Lots of memorable outings there. After that season you will see the dip. Oh my Lord will you see the dip. But on the bright side this blog just might bring out the fun in even the crummier of season 4/5 episodes.

That's a shame that there's that big of a dip, but seeing as how the show doesn't employ long term story archs I can see how after three seasons they'd run out of strong story material. I don't know if there's a trade off because I absolutely love Manhunter. How is Crime Story? I've never seemed to have heard of that one before.

Crime Story is well worth watching. Dennis Farina is the epitome of hard-boiled as Lt. Mike Torello. Like Vice, it's also chalk-full of "Before they were star" appearances from tons of actors who went on to big careers. It lasted two seasons, the first is pretty much quality the whole way through while the second is not nearly as consistent but still has some merit.

But if you're digging Vice and you like Mann's films then you'll surely find a lot to enjoy about Crime Story.

Well looks like I'll be checking that out when I'm done Vice. It seems season 2 is out of print though, it's not on netflix and it's going for $70 and up on Amazon.

I think some of the individual seasons are out of print. You can check Ebay... But you may as well purchase the full 5-season set from Amazon for a hundred bucks. It's not a bad deal, all things considered.

About Crime Story... It's a show I've never really watched outside of a couple of episodes. I do remember the opening credits with the legendary use of Del Shannon.

I may look into that eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erix View Post

I think some of the individual seasons are out of print. You can check Ebay... But you may as well purchase the full 5-season set from Amazon for a hundred bucks. It's not a bad deal, all things considered.

About Crime Story... It's a show I've never really watched outside of a couple of episodes. I do remember the opening credits with the legendary use of Del Shannon.

I may look into that eventually.

I was actually referring to season 2 of Crime Story being out of print. I've been watching Miami Vice via Hulu which has all five season uploaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erix View Post

Thanks for your support...

I'm glad someone got my Just Cause reference. It's not a good movie, or even a particularly popular one, but I threw that in there. My Ed Harris avatar also quotes Just Cause.

If the person who made that gif you are referring to is willing to send it my way, I would probably use it in the piece.

I do not know if this is what you mean........

nooooozy9.gif

That's a little small for the actual article. But I want to thank you for providing me with a new avatar.

And I'll also take this opportunity to inform you that you can expect the next entry, featuring a variation on that image, sometime tomorrow.

Yeah... Bruce Willis is an asshole.

EPISODE 1.7 - NO EXIT

To me what's funnier than Willis tossing his wife in the pool is what he says before the send off. "You want something to wear? WEAR THIS!" *Splash*

Good job highlighting the odd use of that Teddy Pendergrass song.

It's too bad scumbag Willis hasn't appeared in more movies. Guess he sorta did a white trash version of his Vice persona in MORTAL THOUGHTS.

Isn't Mortal Thoughts supposed to be dogshit?

Holy fuck, this one made me piss myself.

Erix, I'll be honest: this might be the absolute funniest writeup you've done yet. The Operation Wolf and Don Henley references were fucking perfection, and then I just about lost it again when Operation Wolf 2 came up, and finally a Contra reference for the hell of it.

Your Hawaiian pizza anecdote was also very intriguing as well, though here in the States, at least in Jersey, I've never seen a Hawaiian pie that had cherries on it. And the thing about "Tutti Frutti ice cream" probably got the biggest laugh from me in the whole article.

"No Exit" is my favorite episode of season 1, closely followed by Abel Ferrara's episode, and "Evan".

Everything in your review way spot on, Erix. It's a very cinematic episode, and no write up is complete without a Dorian Harewood reference. The man is a character actor treasure!

The final Crockett shot of the episode, and the Reservoir Dogs homage got the biggest laughs from me.

Oh, and about an hour ago I purchased Season 2 online, so I'll be seeing that one soon.

I almost referenced Mortal Thoughts in the blog Molt. You're right. In many ways, that's kind of a "sequel" to this performance.

It's not dogshit HT. Alan Rudolph gives the movie a stylish edge and the screenplay is clever enough. Even though the "twist" probably won't seem like a very big deal now.

It has good performances from the three leads (as well as Harvey Keitel and John Pankow). Overall it's okay.

The epitome of Willis's "evil" is singing Kung Fu Fighting very obnoxiously while drunk.

Bravo... the Operation Wolf references had me howling.. NO EXIT may not be my all time favorite of the season but it is definitely one of the most entertaining. The funniest part is the melodramatic way Crockett moans "This guy's scum..." after the poor lass gets dunked in the pool. Also I'd like to highlight how much I enjoy the character of LESTER played by the dopey-voiced Julio Oscar Mechoso. He is a good character and this is probably the episode where he gets the most stuff to do. Its really too bad they got rid of him so early, most likely to let Zito and Switek have more screentime perhaps.

Another great write up for a great episode. I made it up to about episode 6 or 7 of season 2 and I think I'm going to take a break for awhile. While the show is great, it's hard to watch a shit ton of case of the weeks in row. I only wish that Mann had employed season long story arches. I know that wasn't common practice back then, but I feel like it would make it easier to digest large quantities in a short period of time.

It's not the sort of show you marathon. It's the kind of thing where you enjoy it more if you watch it an episode at a time and give it space. It's how I'm doing it for these write-ups and it's making it a very savory experience. I hope to have the new one up tomorrow.

I love the show, and even I admit that it's heavy going. If you're not in the right mood, or if you miss a single line of dialogue, then it's the most boring shit on Earth. It's a combination of weird, immersive style/pacing and complicated, unorthodox police procedural plotting. Either one of these on its own can be off-putting, but smoosh both of them together, and HOOO BOY do you have a difficult show. Second best show of the 80s, though. After MOONLIGHTING.

Hope you like boat racing...

EPISODE 1.8 - THE GREAT McCARTHY

Wow! I loved this one! With a show like MIAMI VICE, inordinately long boat chases don't hamstring anything - MIAMI VICE thrives on boring, and the boat chase is so long that it becomes hypnotic and soothing. And it's beautifully shot. It doesn't feel like padding so much as it feels like pure genius. I wish I could say the same for that party band, though. Jeez.

There was originally supposed to be more to my post, but seriously, these forums have gone to fucking hell. No wonder nobody posts on this piece of shit of a site anymore. Please forgive any typos in this post, because there's no way I'm going to go back and edit it, for fear of losing my "Enter" function again.

ANYWAY, I would also like to add that:

1) "Born to be Wild" just works so well when accompanying speeding vehicles, and Jan Hammer's original music for the second half is uplifting and inspirational! And the raunchy "Rico's Blues", which accompanies the scene in which Tubbs beds down with this week's dusky black girlfriend for eight minutes, is also outstanding.

2) McCarthy, a.k.a. Eric Roberts, is really truly honestly one of those actors who I feel like I've seen every day of my life, when in fact I'd never actually seen him in anything. I thought he looked like Eric Roberts, but didn't feel satisfied. Then I realised; he looks exactly like the doctor from NIP/TUCK whose girlfriend took a shit in his hot tub in that one episode.

3) The Zito/Switek interlude is a prime example of what I'm talking about when I refer to MV's weird plotting. We follow Crockett & Tubbs for a good 35 minutes, and then it's mentioned that they urgently need an entry fee to participate in the boat race, so then we shift to Zito & Switek for a good five minutes, on an unrelated case, which culminates in them seizing enough money for Crockett & Tubbs' purpose! The show really lives up to its name; it is like a slice of life in the Miami Vice squad, where not everyone's actions necessarily relate to one another, but sometimes they do. GIVE A LITTLE, TAKE A LITTLE, also from Season 1, is the exemplar of this weird type of plotting.

4) Zito's WILD hootin' and hollerin' during the boat chase is hilarious. Not in the same stratosphere as Charles Martin Smith's hootin' and hollerin' while riding on a horse in THE UNTOUCHABLES, but still significant. Both characters are experiencing a new lease on life!

5) You didn't even mention the worst feature of the episode, which is especially weird because it's the very model of a TACKED-ON TRAGIC ENDING; when Tubbs is forced to arrest his dusky Negress lover for murder! As though we're supposed to care about their shitty relationship. And it feels truly, truly, truly tacked-on. You can almost hear the editors not being able to wait to cut away to the end credits.

So, overall, I loved this one! Doesn't hold a candle to COOL RUNNINS, MON or ONE-EYED JACK as far as boring Season 1 episodes go. Those two are Snooze Central.

Right on, Erix. This episode was a big waste of time. I pretty much tuned out while I was watching it due to it being so boring.

"Switek is – as usual – a fucking bartender."

I had been laughing throughout the entire writeup (kudos to your extensive research of Vice's syndication history and references to Days of Thunder), but that line for some reason was what set me off. This is as good as, if not funnier, than the No Exit writeup.

I had forgotten (fortunately, I'm sure) that Crockett and Zito are dressed as X-Wing pilots from Kenner's Star Wars line during the race.

Good point Paul, about the TACKED ON TRAGEDY that ends this episode. It crossed my mind as I was writing the blog, but I decided against it. Now, I regret the decision.

The really astounding thing for me is how underwritten this episode feels. Usually, you have a problem of too much plot for one episode. That was certainly the case with CALDERONE'S RETURN PART II - but here, they barely have enough. And it's not that there couldn't be enough, it's that they didn't bother writing it. It's incredibly lazy.

I agree that the boat race is a stylish set piece. And I suppose it is soothing, as I nearly fell asleep while watching it.

Jan Hammer's music is definitely a highlight throughout, you're right.

It hadn't occurred to me about the X-Wing get up, HT... But you're right. In any case, I hope my blog appropriately highlighted how ridiculous TEAM CROCKETT looks.

What gives... I love THE GREAT MCCARTHY! McCarthy is a magnetic character with charisma to spare! The episode has many subtleties... for instance I strongly believe McCarthy's red-headed right hand man, "Dale" I believe his name was, had eyes for the Great McC! It is evident in the scene where Tubbs meets McC for the first time! The fact that McCarthy enjoys blacks as I do gave me a POPPER! While some say it goes on a little too long, the musical performance of "Some Guys Get All the Luck" and that Laura Brannigan song hit the spot for me! Two fun songs and it gives the episode a relaxed calming feel because its putting the plot aside for a few minutes and letting this band play two full songs. Bravo to the Great McCarthy...

Gruber... I believe McCarthy's right-hand man was named Griffin. But I could be wrong.

The actual character of McCarthy and the band were the two things I enjoyed in this episode. But it wasn't enough to forgive the needlessly extended sequences.

Uncovering dark secrets in the hillbilly backwoods of Florida...

EPISODE 1.9 - GLADES

I can understand them wanting to get out of the Miami setting to change things up a bit but you're right that it's a fairly middling episode. Though the final standoff between Crockett and that one hillbilly threatening to kill the little girl is a tremendous moment.

I agree... It's probably the most cinematic moment in the episode. The way he says: Maybe... You won't even... TWITCH.

*BLAM*

It might have been more satisfying had that been Pankow, though.

I love how John Pankow has continually served as a huge commodity to this entire site.

This love needs to spread further.

While we're at it and while Erix is hard at work at the next blog, Give a Little, Take a Little, why not watch good ol' Sonny Crockett kick back with a finely aged Four Loko?

It's already great but the fact that they used the score from Miller's Crossing just makes it that much more awesome to me.

I do also want to say that I've come across a great number of TV Guide ads for episodes online, not just in my collection, so stay tuned for this goldmine of vintage material!

That's awesome. I also love how, basically, he dies at the end.

I'll take this opportunity to thank you for unearthing that treasure trove of TV Gude material. It will make its debut in the very next blog.

Glades is first episode that I disagree with the consensus. I actually liked it quite a bit. Reminded me a bit of Quiet Cool, and them getting out of the city, and into the swamps was an interesting angle for the episode.