Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
X-MEN: FIRST CLASS Post-Release Discussion
A[quote name="Alex Augustine" url="/community/t/132981/x-men-first-class-post-release-discussion/600_50#post_3738469"]Quite a few.
[/quote]
Time for a rewatch then!

[quote name="MichaelM" url="/community/t/132981/x-men-first-class-post-release-discussion/600_50#post_3738587"]GIS "Jennifer Lawrence Dance GIF"

It'll change your life.
[/quote]
Let the Hungry Games begin! Mmmmmm

And now that I can finally post it....

Watched this again last night.  First re-watch.  Held up amazingly well (issues with token black fella being the first to buy it and Fassbenders accent, which is ALL over the show, aside).

What I didn't remember at all was how badass Magneto's theme was.

AI'm often taken aback by how often (relatively) I see people loving that Magneto theme.

Aside from the quiet eerie opening, it completely loses me once it gets all stupid aggressive and simplistic. Catchy, I guess... but it SOUNDS kinda... douchey? Like some bro who juices.

I don;t know, in the context of the movie it works well.  It's not quite as simplistic as the distillation from the soundtrack.  The variations build really well, especially in the Eric Lensherr Nazi Hunter scenes and adds a lot of tension.

And when he's hurling anchors around it's dynamite.

I was honestly surprised by how much I still enjoyed this movie.  The only reason I watched it was because I needed to reclaim space on MySky.   I really expected it not to stand up well on second viewing.  Probably because I didn't really like Future Past that much.  I think the designs were much better in that, but this just had an energy that I found lacking in the other one.

I really like First Class, but I would have loved an entire movie of Magneto: Nazi Hunter.

A[quote name="grubstreeter" url="/community/t/132981/x-men-first-class-post-release-discussion/600#post_3881039"]I really like First Class, but I would have loved an entire movie of Magneto: Nazi Hunter. 
[/quote]

A thousand times this. And we almost got it.

This film is amazing when it's Charles and Eric. I completely check out when the kids move in to the facility.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Bain View Post

this just had an energy that I found lacking in the other one.

Yup. The movie has a rhythm and a propulsion that I simply don't often find in Singer's work. Sometimes he occasionally finds it, such as the Nightcrawler scene from X-2 or the Quicksilver scene from Days of Future Past, but it's like an overweight man running for the bus - that initial, impressive sprint inevitably gives way to standing still as he catches his breath again. I often find myself thinking that Singer might be better suited to a theatre stage than than of a movie set.

AIt's a movie that was fun and propulsive enough to fool me into thinking it was better than it actually was.

I mean, I REALLY loved it coming out of it the first time.

2nd viewing gave me SUCH a hard comedown. It went from being a great movie to a pretty good one.

Still watchable thanks to the cast. But mostly because of Fassbender.

What mcnooj said. The film couldn't help but be better than X3 and Wolverine: Bullshit Origins, and really benefited from relief from fans about that.

But I'm not even sure the film's a "pretty good one." When it's the McAvoy and Fassbender show, it's fantastic. The rest is yawn city for me.

Except for Rose Byrne in stockings and garters.

Yup. It's a boring X-men movie but a fantastic Magneto and Professor X film. Also, yeah Matthew Vaughn directed the shit out of this movie. Which made the come down of seeing Days of Future Past much more disappointing.

"Your mutant nickname... will be Coooosmos!"

"hey... shut uuuuup..."

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

It's a movie that was fun and propulsive enough to fool me into thinking it was better than it actually was.

I mean, I REALLY loved it coming out of it the first time.

2nd viewing gave me SUCH a hard comedown. It went from being a great movie to a pretty good one.

Still watchable thanks to the cast. But mostly because of Fassbender.

Out of interest how long between viewings?  For me it was several years, and I went into the second viewing expecting to be disappointed, so it was a nice surprise.

And agree with everyone in that it really, really flies when it's just McAvoy and Fassbender.

AOh it was like the next week! Or sooner! Trying to ride that high.