Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
DJANGO SAYS DICAPRIO IS GOOD AND CHAINED UP
#36

OK, I thought I had heard it that way, but it certainly could've been Tarantino's own idea to pursue DDL.

Reply
#37


Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Clark View Post

Remember three years ago, when everyone was lamenting pretty boy Brad Pitt being in a QT movie, in a role that was so obviously supposed to be played by a Lee Marvin type? Remember, Internet, how everyone read the script and started harrumphing that Aldo was miscast?

Yeah. Shut the fuck up, Internet.



Dear Greg,

Never change please.

Sincerely

The Rain Dog.

Reply
#38

Opinions are like Assholes everyone has one. Pitt did fine and DiCaprio will not be terrible. So what.

Aldo had what 3 scenes? He certainly wasn't Lee Marvin.

QT has a great eye for talent that isn't up for debate from me.

I like diversity especially opinions. DiCaprio is taking risks and I admire that pure and simple and again QT to me is not above reproach (Basterds either).

God bless gods garden of different colored people and their different opinions.

Reply
#39

Let's not pretend QT has a perfect casting record. The first group of girls in Death Proof were horrible and so was Eli Roth in Basterds. And Lucy Liu, as much as I'm madly in love with her, was laughable delivering her fancy monologue in Kill Bill. Least convincing badass crime boss that side of Tom Wilkinson's toothless Carmine Falcone

On the other hand, over the last half decade I've come to have enough confidence in Leo to assume he'll do fine.

Reply
#40

Leo's had very little chance to chew the scenery in his career up to this point. I have a sneaking suspicion he's going to relish this villain role and come up with something quite special.

Reply
#41

I think most people would disagree with you on all those points, Bucho.


"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"



"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"


"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"


"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"





Reply
#42

I don't know Elvis, nobody I know likes the first half of Death Proof and Eli was widely fingered as the weak link in Basterds.

Heh ... "widely fingered".

To be fair Lucy Liu was good during most of the rest of her Kill Bill role but the lameness of that speech always stuck with me.

Reply
#43

As much as I've voiced misgivings about the Django script recently-ish, DiCaprio is going to own this role. His boyishness has an inherent insecurity that Scorsese has of course capitalized on to no end -- the immature vibe he projects, and his characters' efforts to suppress it and compensate for it, is much of what makes DiCaprio a compelling actor. That quality is ripe to be exploited in a villainous role, and Tarantino clearly knows it.

Reply
#44


Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D. Bob Plissken View Post

I never picked up on any particular hints to CALVIN Candie's age in the script, merely that Stephen is older than him.  Also, "being around the block" in the Old West doesn't mean you have to be in your 50's.  People didn't tend to live as long back then and reached "manhood" in their teens.  I can easily seen DiCaprio (who is 36) being filthy rich and owning a ton of land/slaves.  He might not be the type I pictured in my head when reading the script, but he isn't blatantly miscast either.  Leo has it in him to pull this off, otherwise Quentin wouldn't have hired him.



what is Harvey Keitel up to these days?

Reply
#45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucho View Post

I don't know Elvis, nobody I know likes the first half of Death Proof and Eli was widely fingered as the weak link in Basterds.


I actually prefer the first half of Deathproof - Russell just seems like hes having more fun.  Maybe the second group of girls are better, but once they get on screen, the movie is covering familiar ground and I get bored.  Deathproofs issues lie more in the script than the casting.

As for Eli, its obvious watching him that hes not an actor.  But he plays it broad and cartoony and after seeing the movie, I couldn't imagine anyone BUT Roth in the role.

Reply
#46


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post

I don't know Elvis, nobody I know likes the first half of Death Proof and Eli was widely fingered as the weak link in Basterds.

Heh ... "widely fingered".

To be fair Lucy Liu was good during most of the rest of her Kill Bill role but the lameness of that speech always stuck with me.


Hi, I'm Bancroft Agee and I liked the first half of Death Proof (in fact I liked both halves of Death Proof but that's another debate) and didn't consider Roth a weak link. So now you know at least one person.

I'm more worried about DiCaprio trying to muddle through some half assed Southern accent than I am his ability to portray and embody the character of Candle.

Reply
#47

I dunno, Pitt's ridiculous Southern accent worked in Basterds, didn't it? I can see DiCaprio having a similar kind of fun with that kind of exaggerated voice.

Reply
#48


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancroft Agee View Post

Hi, I'm Bancroft Agee and I liked the first half of Death Proof (in fact I liked both halves of Death Proof but that's another debate) and didn't consider Roth a weak link. So now you know at least one person.



I'm gonna go ahead here and say I flat out love the first half of Death Proof. Two persons!

Reply
#49

In my opinion, the worst cast actor in any of Quentin Tarantino's movies is Quentin Tarantino.

Reply
#50

Things must be pretty slow around here if Leonardo Dicaprio being cast in a Quentin Tarantino film is cause for anyone's concern.

Reply
#51

Dude was gutted, man.


"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"



"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"


"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"


"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"





Reply
#52


Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Wolcott View Post





I'm gonna go ahead here and say I flat out love the first half of Death Proof. Two persons!


*raises hand*

Am I late? I didn't realize there was a meeting today. Is that the coffee over there?

Reply
#53


Quote:
Originally Posted by t3cii View Post

A bit gutted to see DiCaprio in the role of Marvin Candie. Woefully miscast.


I have to agree with this as I've read the script and also don't see it.  It's not that DiCaprio would be bad in the part, it's that I see the delicious possiblities with the character as written, and based on Leo's past work, think that QT could have done so much better, so it is dissapointing.  I feel like he's in a star fucking phase of his career right now and it's probably blinding his instincts.  I also thought Pitt was a bit miscast in Basterds, though he did a decent enough job.  Leo as Candie is not going to ruin the movie, but I will be sitting there thinking "oh what could have been"...unless of course Leo murders it and surprises the hell outta me, but I don't see that happening.

Reply
#54


Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Clark View Post

Put it another way: Tarantino went after Daniel Day Lewis for Vince in Pulp Fiction. DDL turned it down. QT went with his second choice, John Travolta. If the internet had existed then, the screams would have been nigh unthinkable. But look what that got us.

Or imagine if the internet were around when Henry Fonda was cast as the villain in Once Upon a Time in the West? It's pretty obvious that Tarantino is aiming for that type of perception altering role for Dicaprio. Dicaprio is someone that has a very defined image and while he tends to play somewhat brooding characters he has been the leading man we're supposed root for quite some time now. I have no doubt in my mind that it will PLAY, and while I refuse to read the script something tells me the way we perceive Dicaprio will add a lot of weight to the character.

Reply
#55


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangy View Post

"Gutted"? Hahaha


Did I use that wrong? It's such a fun sounding word. Same with "woefully miscast", a phrase I remember someone once used when describing Keanu Reeves. That always stuck with me, for some reason, so I brought it out.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Merriweather View Post

Saying that QT, the guy who wrote the (possibly out-of-date) script, has woefully miscast a role when you have NO idea what revisions/alterations/approach the man is taking, is irritating bullshit. This character originated with him. I think he may know what will and won't work for the story he has in mind.

EDIT: Just to expand so as not to come across as being rude: you're second-guessing one of the most gifted film-makers of our time based on one building block of the finished film. This is why I have a generally negative view of reading scripts before release - you've let one element of the finished poduct dictate your reaction to it. You now have an idea of Calvin Candie that QT has to live up to. You can try and argue that's not the case, but it's pretty obvious from your reaction to this news. It's such an assbackwards way to approach an upcoming film. You're putting your film-making insincts on a higher pedestal than those of the guy who wrote the script!


Again, I don't think I'm placing any film instincts I might have on a higher pedestal than those of Tarantino. But as I've said before, and will keep saying, I'm basing my opinion on how he presented the character in the script. If he's telling me to expect one thing, obviously I'm going to be disappointed if he presents something very different. I have no reason to assume he's going to rewrite the character.  Maybe he will, I guess we'll have to wait and see. But it won't be the character I came to despise from the script, and I think I'd miss that character if that's the case. If most of you want to trust Tarantino on this, go ahead.  Anyways, my opinion really isn't worth getting irritated over, and I'm sure you can all agree to that.

So, sensing that maybe people have had enough talking about DiCaprio, why not talk about the rest of the cast? Has Waltz been confirmed yet? The character was almost certainly written with him in mind. I'm sure he will be great in it, it's a role that commands attention much the same way Hanz Landa commands attention, but much more heroic and sympathetic. My only concern would be that the character tends to outshine the lead role. That might have been why Smith turned it down, since he'd be playing straight man to Waltz for much of the movie.

Samuel L. Jackson I believe is playing the role of Stephen, and much like Waltz, the role reads as if it was written specifically for him. Other than that, I'm not sure how many other Tarantino alumni we can expect to pop up in this movie. Possibly Michael Madsen as Ace Woody,

Reply
#56


Quote:
Originally Posted by hexx462 View Post



Or imagine if the internet were around when Henry Fonda was cast as the villain in Once Upon a Time in the West?


That did cross my mind, and I suppose since this is a western (or Southern, as Tarantino calls it) that would be what he has in mind.

Reply
#57

"If he's telling me to expect one thing..." Uh, he's not telling you ANYTHING. You read an illegally leaked script that's probably been rewritten by now. It's your own fault, not his.

Reply
#58


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Spider View Post

I dunno, Pitt's ridiculous Southern accent worked in Basterds, didn't it? I can see DiCaprio having a similar kind of fun with that kind of exaggerated voice.


Pitt was born in Oklahoma and raised in Missouri.  While his accent in Basterds may have been exaggerated I didn't find it unconvincing.  Look at how he portrayed Jesse James in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.  You don't have to do Foghorn Leghorn to convey a convincing "Southern" accent as the term itself is a catch-all for a wide range of different speech patterns.

Reply
#59


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancroft Agee View Post




Pitt was born in Oklahoma and raised in Missouri.  While his accent in Basterds may have been exaggerated I didn't find it unconvincing.  Look at how he portrayed Jesse James in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.  You don't have to do Foghorn Leghorn to convey a convincing "Southern" accent as the term itself is a catch-all for a wide range of different speech patterns.


Oh, I'm well aware of that. It's just that since this is apparently a spaghetti Western, exaggeration tends to be the order of the day, so I was merely wondering if DiCaprio might do a more heightened accent rather than attempting to do a realistic one.

Reply
#60


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Spider View Post

Uh, he's not telling you ANYTHING.


Alright, he was presenting one thing.

Quote:
You read an illegally leaked script

Which has no bearing on the topic.

Quote:
that's probably been rewritten

There's no reason to assume that, but okay.

Quote:

It's your own fault, not his.

"Fault"? What, that I'm expecting the character to be how he described him?

Reply
#61


Quote:
Originally Posted by t3cii View Post

Alright, he was presenting one thing.

Which has no bearing on the topic.

There's no reason to assume that, but okay.

"Fault"? What, that I'm expecting the character to be how he described him?


C'mon... don't let your feelings about DiCaprio (which I understand) lead you down this path of mulishness.

Reply
#62

Of course there's a reason to assume the script has been rewritten. Y'know why? It happens ALL THE TIME. And I say "your fault" because it's up to Tarantino to decide whether or not to go in a different direction with a character. Should we really be thinking we can do better than him?

At this point, I'm about ready to throw up my hands and point back to what Greg Clark said earlier: Tarantino knows what the fuck he's doing.

Reply
#63

Unless Tarantino handed you the script to get your opinion on it, you have no right to make any value judgments on it as a finished piece of art. You took a sneak peek at a work in progress. If you are going to judge the finished project on information you shouldn't have been privy to in the first place, your disappointment is entirely your own fault.

Reply
#64

I love the Henry Ford example. Great way to make the argument not to typecast. I just saw "Once Upon a Time in the West" for the first time this summer, and after getting used to perceiving Fonda as one of my favourite honourable and endearing actors from movies like "12 Angry Men" and "The Lady Eve", I was really amazed by what a convincing lousy bastard he made. He seemed like such a completely different person, barely recognizable, and not just because those other movies were black and white and made so many years earlier. If that nervous twerp from "12 Angry Men" and "The Lady Eve" could become a dangerous, rotten sonofabitch someday, so could Gilbert Grape's goofy little brother.

Reply
#65


Quote:
Originally Posted by t3cii View Post




That did cross my mind, and I suppose since this is a western (or Southern, as Tarantino calls it) that would be what he has in mind.

Right, and it's a pretty god damned great concept isn't it?

Reply
#66


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancroft Agee View Post




Pitt was born in Oklahoma and raised in Missouri.  While his accent in Basterds may have been exaggerated I didn't find it unconvincing.  Look at how he portrayed Jesse James in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.  You don't have to do Foghorn Leghorn to convey a convincing "Southern" accent as the term itself is a catch-all for a wide range of different speech patterns.

I found it decent, but a bit unconvincing. But that is because I live about 10 miles from Maynardville, Tennessee. When I think of Southern accents I think of Smokey from Band of Brothers. Mountain twang is different from deep fried twang.  But again, it didn't pull me out of the movie.


Reply
#67


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian OB View Post

Unless Tarantino handed you the script to get your opinion on it, you have no right to make any value judgments on it as a finished piece of art. You took a sneak peek at a work in progress. If you are going to judge the finished project on information you shouldn't have been privy to in the first place, your disappointment is entirely your own fault.



People were criticizing Foxx's casting without knowing anything about the character other than he was a former slave, and were making statements about DiCaprio being "perfect for the role" without knowing who the character was, what he was about, and if he really was perfect for the role. No one had a problem with that. Why is this different? And who said anything about the finished project? I was saying I thought DiCaprio would be miscast in this. I might be wrong. But wasn't basing my opinion purely on a dislike for DiCaprio as an actor the way people are with Foxx's casting.

I think that's all I'll say on the matter. I've derailed this thread enough already.

Reply
#68


Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTyres View Post



I found it decent, but a bit unconvincing. But that is because I live about 10 miles from Maynardville, Tennessee. When I think of Southern accents I think of Smokey from Band of Brothers. Mountain twang is different from deep fried twang.  But again, it didn't pull me out of the movie.



I grew up in Kentucky near the Bootheel of Missouri but live in Tennessee myself now.  I think both you and I can say that using "Southern" accent as a catchall is a poor choice but I see your point.  Don't get me started on some of the attempted accents on Justified though.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Spider View Post




Oh, I'm well aware of that. It's just that since this is apparently a spaghetti Western, exaggeration tends to be the order of the day, so I was merely wondering if DiCaprio might do a more heightened accent rather than attempting to do a realistic one.


I can see that and it could work.  I just wonder how far out there and over the top Tarantino tends to push his "Southern".  It's going to be interesting to see the world he creates considering the subject matter.  Like it or not, people are going to be touchy (both liberal and conservative) when bringing up some of the subject matter he intends to trod upon so the tone he sets is going to be interesting.

I don't remember if there was any backlash over Basterds from anyone but that movie was firmly and plainly set as a fairy tale from the start with WWII trappings.

Reply
#69


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancroft Agee View Post




  Don't get me started on some of the attempted accents on Justified though.




I love Justified, but you are so right.   Plus, I have a hard time not thinking Arlo is about to scream, "Raylan, you just halved your brother."

Reply
#70


Quote:
Originally Posted by t3cii View Post

"Fault"? What, that I'm expecting the character to be how he described him?


You do realize that there is absolutely NO physical description of Calvin Candie in the script, right?  The ONLY description given of him at all is that he is a "powerful white man".  That's it.  No description of how he dresses, his age, physical features, nada.

You can infer from his dialogue that he is intelligent and definitely more refined than most of those around him.  He can be violent and intimidating if the situation calls for it.  He is also quite polite, at least to those who are not slaves.  There is nothing in his dialogue that gives any hint whatsoever to his age, only that even though he is Stephen's master and Calvin grew up with the man..............Stephen is his elder.  So basically, he's supposed to be younger than Samuel L. Jackson.  Mission accomplished.

Just because you pictured him as an old man does not mean that Quentin wrote him that way.

Once again, DiCaprio is not who popped into my head while I was reading the script.  I was seeing someone like Keith Carradine or Peter Fonda.  The reason I pictured them had nothing to do with age and everything to do with persona and attitude.  A quiet cool masking hostility.  Hell, the Henry Fonda comparison earlier in the thread is pretty apt.  I really have no problem picturing Leo in the role though.  Quentin tends to shy away from physical descriptions in his scripts, instead allowing his dialogue to dictate the character.  For the most part, he usually leaves the appearance and physicality for whoever he cast to come up with on their own.

Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)