Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DJANGO SAYS DICAPRIO IS GOOD AND CHAINED UP

Huh, I guess I did know some peeps who like the first half of Death Proof. I just didn't know I knew.

I enjoy Death Proof as a whole, but I certainly like it the least of the QT-directed films (unless we're counting Four Rooms, in which case that one is at the bottom of the list).

Also, I'll second the notion that the only casting misstep that Quentin made/makes is casting himself in Death Proof.  He's fine in small roles like Dogs and Pulp..............and seems to work well in his appearances for RR (Desperado, Dawn, Terror).  That aside, he was gratingly awful as Warren the bartender.

I think, beginning to end, Death Proof succeeds where no other grindhouse-revival film has: in that it actually feels like a non-ironic grindhouse flick. The other ones got the film scratches, the over the top violence, and a tongue so firmly in cheek it's about to bust through the skin, but they all feel like modern movies playing dress up and using a snickering giggle as a defense for not actually being very good at all (looking at you, HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN, and looking at you, people who like HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN). Death Proof--especially the first half--understood that to emulate a grindhouse flick, you had to use the same technique as a grindhouse flick. Long, boring conversations to pad out the time before they got to the part they saved their money for. The first half, the women's only concern is drugs, sex, and booze, and while they're all quite the lookers, they're all kind of awful, so you don't feel TOO bad when they get offed. In the 70's, even though Stuntman Mike is the bad guy, he's the hero to the people watching these things.

The second half is a deconstruction, where the modern women turn the tables on Stuntman Mike and make him pay for his crimes. It also reveals Stuntman Mike to be more than a little bit of an emasculated pussy, which I've always read as QT's take on the kinds of people who cheer for the objectified violence against women in the countless slashers that serve up tits, then ram a knife/axe/machete/car through them for some sort of twisted satisfaction. It also has the hands down best car chase scene of the last decade.

In short, I think Death Proof is awesome. Tarantino's got a handle on his shit. Internet still needs to chill the hell out.

DEATH PROOF does not play like a legitimate grindhouse film. Grindhouse films do not spend a chunk of their running time making meta commentary about themselves. Also, they tend to have boobs.

Well I didn't like the first half of "Death Proof" either, except the strip tease, which I hear wasn't even in the theatrical release. Tarantino really needs someone to reign him in. I think one of the reasons "Pulp Fiction" was and still is his best script is because he had a co-writer to balance things out a bit. Now that he's writing everything solo and his editor is gone, I'd be worried that his tendency to overwrite will go unchecked and make his movies more like that first half of "Death Proof", which I consider Tarantino at his worst. The final sequence with the cars was like a breath of fresh air after a long, long, oppressive slog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian OB View Post

Grindhouse films do not spend a chunk of their running time making meta commentary about themselves. Also, they tend to have boobs.

THANK YOU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian OB View Post

Grindhouse films do not spend a chunk of their running time making meta commentary about themselves. Also, they tend to have boobs.

DAMN YOU.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

Double thank you. Death Proof just didn't work.

The Avery comment (ie Pulp Fiction had an extra writer) take is interesting and I never really gave it much credence before but looking at QT's work I sort of have to agree. The man has loads of talent obviously but some of his work (Kill Bill Vol 1, Death Proof, The non Landa stuff in Basterds) comes off rough around the edges and unfocused.

Here is hoping for the best with Django.

Is anyone else hoping we get to hear the original Django theme song a copious amount of times in this movie? I've warmed up to the idea of Jamie Foxx as Django. I still think he's a twat, but he was very good in Collateral and Miami Vice. Leonardo Dicaprio as a southern slaver owner sounds like aces to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Daywalker View Post

The Avery comment (ie Pulp Fiction had an extra writer) take is interesting and I never really gave it much credence before but looking at QT's work I sort of have to agree. The man has loads of talent obviously but some of his work (Kill Bill Vol 1, Death Proof, The non Landa stuff in Basterds) comes off rough around the edges and unfocused.

There is some truth to this.  That said, I'd take solo QT over solo Avery any day of the week.

That is truth no doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3cii View Post

People...were making statements about DiCaprio being "perfect for the role" without knowing who the character was, what he was about, and if he really was perfect for the role.

Literally no-one has said that. People were positive because QT had cast a great actor. That's it.