Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GOYERZILLA

The King of the Geeks takes on the King of the Monsters.

http://www.chud.com/60387/goyerzilla/

I've been wondering what the hell was going on with this, especially since it was originally pegged as a 2012 summer release.  I'd say 2013 is FAR more likely.  Sounds like 2013 is going to be the kaiju bash of the decade between this and GDT's Pacific Rim.  Excuse me while I go have a min-Toho marathon in celebration.....

S.D. Bob Plissken, I just hope Godzilla is a...Monster Smash, rather than...Monster Mush!  One other thing.  I would...Love a 2.5 D TOHO vs DC Fighting Game, developed by Capcom, or Namco!  Godzilla vs Superman, would be so much fun!

Goyer will polish it up. I have to say the encouraging thing about this is Gareth Edwards. He showed a ton of promise and potential with Monsters.

I am getting kind of excited for this one. Legendary Pictures has had a good track record as well.

I believe I'll get to watch this sooner than I'll get to watch Attack The Block.

I have only seen a couple of the originals so my investment in this series is not heavy.  However as long as it's better than the last attempt I'm in.

Ken Savage, I hope it is better than...EmmerBLECH's Godzilla!  The...Hanna Barbara Godzilla was more Fun, than that!  To me, the best of the Godzilla films, is when he is fighting the cooler enemy monsters.  Ghidorah, Mecha Godzilla, or a whole bunch of them like the classic team ups...Destroy All Monsters, or Godzilla Final Wars!

Someone had better build a Goyer-trap around the directors chair. I'm not the biggest Gareth Edwards fan but MONSTERS is still a million times better than anything on "The Writer Of THE DARK KNIGHT"'s directorial CV

Has anybody else mentioned (or noticed) the fact that Legendary Pictures are behind both the new GODZILLA and PACIFIC RIM, and are planning to release both of them in 2013?

Not earth-shaking or anything, just thought it was interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniemick View Post

Has anybody else mentioned (or noticed) the fact that Legendary Pictures are behind both the new GODZILLA and PACIFIC RIM, and are planning to release both of them in 2013?

Not earth-shaking or anything, just thought it was interesting.

One of these will get shit canned I am sure.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Dobler View Post

One of these will get shit canned I am sure.....

They spent a LOT to get the rights to Godzilla. And Pacific Rim is already cast, budgeted and has a start date. In other words, no.

Don't f**k this up, Legendary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelios View Post

I believe I'll get to watch this sooner than I'll get to watch Attack The Block.

I'm in that same boat.  Sad but true.

I actually think its a perfect time to bring back Godzilla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe T View Post

They spent a LOT to get the rights to Godzilla. And Pacific Rim is already cast, budgeted and has a start date. In other words, no.

I just can't see how a western Godzilla movie can be anything but a camp riot when they want him to be protector of earth fighting off other monsters. I bet Goyer won't be the last writer to work on this because its going to be difficult to nail the tone. I really want it to work but I can't see it being anything but a slightly better version of the 98 film and whats the point in that?

Wait, what?? They want Godzilla to be the good guy?

Please say it ain't so...

Lloyd Dobler, Well the new Godzilla should be alot better than Emmerich's Godzilla!  Can the new director make a worse movie?  I am guessing that you are right, and Godzilla will be the hero of the film, as he...Should be!  Even when Godzilla is the hero, he still does tons of Collateral Damage (not the Schwarzenegger film)!  I hope King Ghidorah is the main bad guy, and Earth is the target of a...Massive invasion of Monsters under mind control, by their alien masters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Machine View Post

Of the 17 Godzilla films I've seen, Godzilla was a, sometimes nominal, hero in all but three of them.

Quote:

Yes, this is what I read somewhere on some site after the Goyer announcement was made, think it was on Hitfix....

From Drew McWeeney's Blog on Hitfix:

"Gareth Edwards, whose microbudget movie "Monsters" garnered him some serious attention, is onboard to direct this new version, and until now, Dave Callaham has been the writer on the film.  It looks like that changed, though, and now David Goyer is coming onboard to rewrite the film.  What I can tell you about the approach the studio is taking to the film is that Godzilla is not "just" a giant monster.  He is a character, a major force of nature, and there will definitely be other giant monsters in the world.  They're focusing on the notion of Godzilla as a defender of Earth, the one thing that can stop some of these other giant creatures, and while there will obviously be a human story playing out with the giant monster story, don't expect it to overwhelm or overshadow the monsters.  They know why you're going to the theater, and they are determined to give you a real, no-compromises Godzilla film featuring the giant lizard you know and love already.  There are definite design choices they'll make, and the official Toho Godzilla has gone through many changes over the years, but I guarantee when you see this one for the first time, you will know immediately that it is Godzilla."

But Godzilla as Defender of the Earth is kind of the defacto version of Godzilla now. He hasn't really rampaged around as a villain since Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster, in the mid-60s.

unless I missed something wasn't the big G a villian, in several of the 90-00s movies?

Anyhoo, they have my money already. Godzilla is one of those geek properities that I really dig...

Quote:

unless I missed something wasn't the big G a villian, in several of the 90-00s movies?

Anyhoo, they have my money already. Godzilla is one of those geek properities that I really dig...

Oh yeah he is a badass. I can see him making friends with some kid Iron Giant style though...

Quote:

I think he's the bad-guy in the 90s version of Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, but I'm not too familiar with the Millenium Godzilla films.

Godzilla's role changes constantly, which is why I kind of love the character. Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster is usually the film people cite as Godzilla turning into a defender of Earth, but really its the film that turned Godzilla from a antagonist to a protagonist. He's still seen as a threat in Astro Monster, Sea Monster, Son, and DAM. The 70s films are where he turns into a full blown tokusatsu superhero. He's a "force of nature" in the 80s and 90s films, and his role in the 00s changes every film.

I'm not worried about how Godzilla is portrayed in this film, because I know no matter what they're going to avoid the GINO scenario. My major concern is that Godzilla's always had a history deeply-rooted in practical effects, and I know this film is going to be full-blown CGI. That wouldn't be a problem if GDT wasn't making his own giant monster film, with an amazing cast and no doubt spectacular practical work to be featured. I can't muster up the enthusiasm for this project like I can Pacific Rim.

Wait, wasn't there a 1984 version in which Godzilla comes back from a volcano and is super pissed at mankind for having him put there before? I remember loving it.

I don't get the Gareth Edwards love. For one, he hasn't proven being able to do a 100m plus movie. For a low budget flick, Monsters is amazingly done, but would you put such a tentpole risk in the hands of someone not knowing to work large teams? He also made a subtle movie about peaceful creatures, mostly avoiding action and... fun. That sounds like the opposite of what a Godzilla flick should be. Big, loud, destructive, lots of fighting. FUN. And most of all - don't even try to tell an interesting people story in a Godzilla movie. No one gives a fuck about people in a Godzilla movie, even if it'd be Sean Penn and Meryl Streep doing Awards work.

I'm more bugged by the lack of imagination regarding the choice of Edwards.

"We need a Godzilla director. This guy made a movie called MONSTERS? Well, DUH."

I like Edwards more than Bay for the property. Who has better ideas for filmmakers? Please don't say Johnathan Liebsmann.

As for Godzilla being an earth bound Voltron defending our planet bring it. Sounds great.

Indeed.  Considering Godzilla is the hero in over half of the whopping 28 Toho films made to date, why is anyone really surprised that is the direction they are taking?  Doubly so when you consider one of the chief complaints about the 1998 film revolves around there being no monster on monster action?  I always assumed that is the direction they'd go in.