Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
TRY NOT TO LAUGH AT THE FIRST OFFICIAL PIC OF JUDGE DREDD
#36


Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post



Just seconding Bartelby's question. Why should the helmet always stay on? It's a huge handicap to whomever is playing Dredd.


Because that is what Dredd is. Remember the line Stallone kept mangling? "I am the law." For Dredd this is a literal statement. If they can't make a movie work with the helmet on, they shouldn't be making a movie about Dredd.

Reply
#37

I don't know if the film is going for the satire of the funnies, but isn't the character supposed to look and act absurd?

Reply
#38


Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post

I don't know if the film is going for the satire of the funnies, but isn't the character supposed to look and act absurd?


Depending on the writer. Conceptually he's a satire of authoritarianism and is specifically a fuck you to perceived totalitarianism in 1980s Britain. But then you had a bunch of writers who really liked the character and made him a 'hero' of sorts. I'm reading the collected editions of the comics and it's funny seeing the back and forth in Dredd's personality and tone between individual comics.

Reply
#39

JacknifeJohnny, It depends on your definition of Absurd.  To me Dredd is...The Hero of Mega City One!  He has one speed...Full!  He is the most intense Judge, and rarely jokes around, if at all.  The...Other characters, The Dark Judges, Mean Machine and the rest of the Angel Family, etc, are the absurd elements.  There was never a...Rob Schneider type sidekick, but he did have a robot named Walter, that had problems with pronunciation.  Judge Anderson is there to squeeze...Some humanity out of Dredd.  She has a...Devil may care style, and routinely annoys all the other Judges.  My favorite tale was the war between Mega City One and MC2.  He shouldn't ever take off his helmet, as he is a clone of Mega City Ones Greatest Judge, Judge Fargo, and Dredd never takes...The Law, easy!

Reply
#40


Quote:
Originally Posted by stelios View Post




Because that is what Dredd is. Remember the line Stallone kept mangling? "I am the law." For Dredd this is a literal statement. If they can't make a movie work with the helmet on, they shouldn't be making a movie about Dredd.

Exaclty,I always thought  the whole "not taking of the helmet" thing helped to emphasise the fact Dredd wasn't a man he was simply a walking, talking rule book with zero compassion.

Reply
#41

I met Urban in the Hilton lobby at last year's SDCC and got a pic with him. I was taken aback with how skinny he was in person at the time. I'm hoping this has PUNISHER: WZ levels of violence. I'll wait for some footage, but looks silly so far IMO. And yeah, I like the original for what it was. Atleast the score was epic.

Reply
#42

I have high hopes for this. Like I said the script is good and this is basically and Independent film, so there probably won't be much meddling.

The biggest question mark is the Director.

Reply
#43


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rain Dog View Post

I get the feeling some Dredd fans may have a little bit of a disconnect about just how silly the character looks in the comics.



What fuckin' planet are you on, are you suggesting that all the Marvel/DC characters with tights and capes look sensible in comparison?

I'm guessin' most of the negative comments are from people more familiar with the Stallone fiasco rather than the source cos the 'current' version is favoured more by the fans. This Dredd in both look and attitude is closer to the original concept by John Wagner & Carlos Ezquerra, not a 80's steroid-induced 'action hero' but a lean and strong amoral anti-hero.

Reply
#44


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby_Scriven View Post

Have fond memories of the original movie (although it's been years since I've seen it, so...), but no real attachment to Dredd himself having only read a few of the graphic novels. Been meaning to rectify that.

What I'd like to know, however, is why it's so important that Dredd keep his helmet on? Like, I understand it's because he never takes it off in the comics, but why doesn't he take it off? Is it a good enough reason for us to never see the actor's eyes, which make it that much harder to emote?

At least the original movie gave a good reason for his helmet to be removed, because he was being thrown in prison, although he'd already taken the helmet off before that.

As is, Urban just looks silly, but so did Hugh Jackman in those first promos for X-Men (well, and the promos for XO: Wolverine).




The movie is a reboot and not a remake right, not the same basically?

Reply
#45


Quote:
Originally Posted by garageman View Post





What fuckin' planet are you on, are you suggesting that all the Marvel/DC characters with tights and capes look sensible in comparison?

I'm guessin' most of the negative comments are from people more familiar with the Stallone fiasco rather than the source cos the 'current' version is favoured more by the fans. This Dredd in both look and attitude is closer to the original concept by John Wagner & Carlos Ezquerra, not a 80's steroid-induced 'action hero' but a lean and strong amoral anti-hero.

The movie and comics will have two different sets of fans, but it's too soon to see if they mix or not.

Reply
#46


Quote:
Originally Posted by garageman View Post


What fuckin' planet are you on, are you suggesting that all the Marvel/DC characters with tights and capes look sensible in comparison?


Um nooooo.

Most superheroes look pretty silly frankly.

Reply
#47


Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rain Dog View Post




Um nooooo.

Most superheroes look pretty silly frankly.

Congratulations, you're getting the hang of this.



Reply
#48

Jesus, new guy. What's with the hostility?

I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
Reply
#49

Yeah, let’s take a breath here. Have we learned nothing from the X-Men Leather Wars of 2000?

The other empire pics definitely look better. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the costume per se, even if it’s a shame they didn’t go with the huge shoulder eagles. IMO, what throws that cover image off is Urban’s Dredd scowl – sure it’s accurate to the comic character, but it’s something that really does look ridiculous in real life. He looks a lot better in some of the other shots where he’s not doing the Sad Panda Face.

Reply
#50

Exactly.  This is really the only bad picture I have seen from the production so far.  It's just a shame that it happens to be the one that ended up on a magazine cover.

Reply
#51


Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Marshall View Post




Depending on the writer. Conceptually he's a satire of authoritarianism and is specifically a fuck you to perceived totalitarianism in 1980s Britain. But then you had a bunch of writers who really liked the character and made him a 'hero' of sorts. I'm reading the collected editions of the comics and it's funny seeing the back and forth in Dredd's personality and tone between individual comics.

That period in 2000ad history was pretty great. Pat Mills said in an interview that they were creating these characters who were commentaries on totalitarian, fascist thugs and the readers just loved seeing them kick the shit out of people and aliens - no matter what the reasoning (or lack of). The better writers started making Dredd more about the citizens of Megacity One rather than Dredd himself.

But this movie looks like it has some real curve-balls in it. The practical vehicles and sets are a very very odd mix of elements not represented in the comics. I hope they find their own balance with the material.

Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)