Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BATTLESHIP TRAILER APPROPRIATES MORE THAN JUST THE GAME’S TITLE (+HD STILLS)

The alien ships fire PEGS!!!!!

This is now a must-see.  Now excuse me while I start apologizing to my brain ahead of time....

I would hope that those pegs explode a millisecond later, or those weapons would seem to kind of suck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

Was there a particular reason that a fictional town (Dillon) was created instead of using Odessa as the film did?

To be honest, I don't know. I didn't think to wiki it until just now, and the only answer I got was pretty much "just because".

The only snap theory I would have, and it's reaching hardcore, is that FNL started the same year as Heroes. The cheerleader lived in Odessa(and where they shot the show looked hardly anything like Odessa). Maybe NBC didn't want two shows goinig that were set there? Again, I don't know. Probably just a coincidence.

The Friday Night Lights movie was kinda surreal for me. My sister knew those guys, and the character Jay Hernandez played(Brian Chavez, whose law office was seen in the film) grew up to be the divorce lawyer for my then-girlfriend's parents. What's interesting, and I don't begrudge this, is that the film decided to omit Chavez' history with cocaine while practicing law. He has since done other criminal activities.

The second weirdest thing is seeing my Vice Principal have a speaking role in the film. He's the guy who clowned on Tim McGraw about Billingsley not having his A-Game during practice.

That part where Boobie Miles tears his ACL wins the prize for making me pinch myself the hardest.  One of the spectators in the front row watching is a former classmate of mine, Joe Beene. I know there's a parapelgic character in the TV show, and I'm pretty sure Berg used Beene's story as inspiration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoolong View Post

I imagine the Netflix Instant Watch version has replaced music as well?  Does it play in syndication?

I've watched seasons 2 through 4 of FNL on Instant and I never got the impression that the music sounded generic.  It sounds like Explosions in the Sky and the songs sound fitting.  But aside from that, I don't know for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post

To be honest, I don't know. I didn't think to wiki it until just now, and the only answer I got was pretty much "just because".

Looks like Subotai provided an answer.  Basically, the answer seems to be: in order to have more creative freedom.  I'm sure the legal freedom doesn't hurt either. 

When this is available on HBO On Demand, I will be kind of excited to finally get around to it. Yup!

Is the Taylor Kitsch thing going to happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subotai View Post

When the book FNL came out, Bissinger took a bit of heat from some of the town's residents, but the real reason is it just gave the show's creators more freedom.  Berg wanted to make the series more than an expanded version of the film.  You can build your town from scratch and not worry about a thing.

Walker, if you do decide to watch FNL, try to catch the original episodes rather than the DVDs.  The series used Explosions in the Sky and other Texas bands to terrific effect; unfortunately the music was mostly replaced by generic scores on the DVD.

Quote:

Looks like Subotai provided an answer.  Basically, the answer seems to be: in order to have more creative freedom.  I'm sure the legal freedom doesn't hurt either. 

Thanks for the head's up, Subotai.

And yeah, the book was reviled in Odessa when it got published. However, that reactionary attitude has since disappeared. The town anticipated the movie HEAVILY, despite being mainly shot in Austin. Between the time the book/movie took place, and how Odessa really was at that time, are totally different. The city isn't as podunk as people think it is nowadays. Shooting away from that, with the exceptional second unit shot here and there, was the right call. Odessa, back then, was just about as podunk as people think it is.

If anyone is curious to see what Odessa really looks like, I'd recommend watching The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada. The mall parking lot where January Jones is just chilling was filmed in the city's Music City Mall. Which made me do a double take because I had no idea the movie was filmed there before hand(and I hadn't lived in Odessa for quite a bit when I watched that). 

Berg's too good for stuff like this. I'll probably watch it to support him but what I really want out of him is another movie as fun as The Rundown.

I will never understand why The Rundown didn't end up being huge.  Such an awesome little action-comedy.

Anyway, I have to admit this looks about two billion times better than I thought it would when I first heard they were making a "Battleship" movie.

Is Ridley Scott still going to do the Monopoly movie once he's done with Prometheus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmacq1 View Post

Is Ridley Scott still going to do the Monopoly movie once he's done with Prometheus?

Is it wrong I'm hoping for an AVENGERS-style Hasbro crossover event where Transformers, Battleship, Monopoly, Candy Land and the rest join forces in a super-grim-n-gritty three hour epic?

Trailer seems interesting enough, and it would look exactly as interesting with or without the name BATTLESHIP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post

The Friday Night Lights movie was kinda surreal for me. My sister knew those guys, and the character Jay Hernandez played(Brian Chavez, whose law office was seen in the film) grew up to be the divorce lawyer for my then-girlfriend's parents. What's interesting, and I don't begrudge this, is that the film decided to omit Chavez' history with cocaine while practicing law. He has since done other criminal activities.

That part where Boobie Miles tears his ACL wins the prize for making me pinch myself the hardest.  One of the spectators in the front row watching is a former classmate of mine, Joe Beene. I know there's a parapelgic character in the TV show, and I'm pretty sure Berg used Beene's story as inspiration.

Buzz Bissinger has often spoken, but never specifically, of the troubles those guys have been through.  Actually, scratch that - when speaking on the Bill Simmons podcast some months ago, he did mention that Boobie Miles was in prison and that he stays in touch with him.

Yeah, Berg was watching Texas high school games to prep for the FNL feature film when a player was hit and his spinal cord injured during the game.  It's also what got him and some of the folks in the show to do that annual charity that supports the Buoniconti fund.

ABoobie Miles is in prison? I didn't know that. Damn shame. If it wasn't for that knee injury...who knows what would have happened. On the FNL movie doc he seemed content, albeit extremley fat.

I didn't know the FNL tv dvds had new music. The reviews I read didn't mention it. Weird. Are the rights to Explosions in the sky that expensive?

Quote:

I don't know if he intends on it being his follow-up to Prometheus, but as far as I can tell he still fully intends on making a Monopoly movie.  Honestly, I'm looking forward to see what kind of crazy flick he can make out of it.  Here are his thoughts on it back when he was doing press for Robin Hood.....

A classic '80s comedy came to Scott's mind when thinking about the Monopoly movie.

"I always liked films like 'Trading Places' with Eddie Murphy," he said. "I'm not saying it's like that, but it's somewhere around that route. It has to be a comedy. You know, if you hover above Central Park at night in a helicopter, and you look down below, when you're right in the middle of the park, it looks like a Monopoly board. It's green, it's lit, it's got the most expensive real estate in the world around the edges — and that is where we start."

As for the film's plot, Scott said it will largely revolve around a Donald Trump-esque character, battling with other greedy wannabe real-estate titans.

"It's about some horrible property scam guy," Scott explained. "I'm not saying Donald Trump is horrible — he's quite amusing, actually.

"It's about greed," he added. "Greed becomes, hopefully, hysterically funny."

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1637799...eals.jhtml

Anyway, Sir Ridley still has quite a few pots on the backburner:

- The Wolf of Wall Street (with him directing and Scorsese producing or vice versa.  They can't seem to decide.  DiCaprio stars either way.)

- Monopoly

- Gucci

- The Forever War (sci-fi adaptation)

- Brave New World (sci-fi adaptation)

- Red Riding (remake of the Brit trilogy)

- Untitled Reagan Project

- Untitled Werewolf Project

He usually speaks of the top four the most often so, barring a new project coming along, his next film will probably be one of those.  There is also the possibility that he might be involved with the Blade Runner follow-up that is in the conceptual stage or that he might revive Tripoli or his potential Gladiator follow-up at some point.  He doesn't own the rights to Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian anymore, but if it doesn't get made by someone he'll probably just buy them back again like he did the last time.  Keep in mind that he tends to end up producing projects when he loses interest.  Out of the Furnace, 47 Ronin, The Passage, The Stones, The Kind One, and Child 44 are all projects that Ridley was going to do at one point and is now producing for other directors.

Man, I'm not counting on anything from Ridley after Prometheus. He's well into his seventies and Prometheus looks as much like a swan song as anything.

Ridley Scott will probably die in production on a film.  I can't see that man ever stopping until Death come a callin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subotai View Post

No JD, but Berg has the chops to make this fun, at the very least.  Not sure why everyone's calling this dead a year before its release.  But that's what folks tend to do these days.

You know me Sub you're talking Berg with me you know I think he's great and talented etc etc. He's no different than any other filmmaker nobody else. Its merely this property the man any filmmaker worth his oats doesn't need to be making this film. That was my opinion a year ago it is today. Now lets judge the trailer. Nothing special and nothing unique. Its a Xerox outside of Aliens vs Modern Warfare Naval fleet.

This isn't DOA now its not DOA when it releases. Its just a cheeseburger its Olive Garden its not a mom and pop shop its not product for you and me and most Chewers.

It is studio product though it wreaks of it. The same Berg who made The Rundown, The Kingdom, FNL etc nowhere to be found.

Everyone deserves better outside of Brooklyn Decker. I mean really? Thats Michael Bay right there a model not an actress.

Film buffs and true movie lovers (most mind you) just aren't interested and thats something to consider.

I'm sure Berg is doing this film to bankroll another or god I hope he is. Tell me more about Lone Survivor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Daywalker View Post
I'm sure Berg is doing this film to bankroll another or god I hope he is. Tell me more about Lone Survivor.

Let's just hope Universal doesn't back out on their end of the deal.  John Carpenter did a similar thing in the 90's.  He directed the remake of Village of the Damned solely because Universal promised him he could redo The Creature From The Black Lagoon with full creative control.  While Village was filming there was a shake-up in the execs.  Whoever ended up in charge backed out on the deal and dumped Village into theaters.  This kind of things happens a lot in Hollywood.

I hope Berg has it in writing if that is indeed what he is doing.

Quote:
If Berg can make this something as fun as The Rundown...

This movie needs the Rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D. Bob Plissken View Post

The alien ships fire PEGS!!!!!

LULZ

Quote:

I will never understand why The Rundown didn't end up being huge.  Such an awesome little action-comedy.

Ditto. Shoulda spawned a sequel and kept the Rock in action films.

The BATTLESHIP trailer (did the article have a link to it?) just reminded me of SKYLINE, BATTLE LA, TRANSFORMERS, etc etc etc. It looks a bit stale. Hopefully the milieu will offer something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D. Bob Plissken View Post

Ridley Scott will probably die in production on a film.  I can't see that man ever stopping until Death come a callin'.

Even though not all of his movies are great as of late, I admire the man for just continuing to work. No breaks or any other stuff that would keep him from working. That's awesome.

Saw the Battleship trailer attached to Cowboys And Aliens last night at the midnight show, and there were some laughs in the audience when the title popped up, but I'm in for it. It looks fun, and yeah, the aliens fire the pegs from the game. That and Liam fucking Neeson have me sold on it.

Maybe we'll get "the line" in a subtitle...

"YOU... SANK... MY... BATTLE... SH-

..."

images-4.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene (Mr.Eko) View Post

Even though not all of his movies are great as of late, I admire the man for just continuing to work. No breaks or any other stuff that would keep him from working. That's awesome.

While he hasn't churned out a classic in awhile (I think Prometheus might just change that!), I still enjoy almost everything he puts out.  In fact, I don't think I've ever really seen a Ridley Scott film that I didn't like.  That said, I haven't seen Someone To Watch Over Me, White Squall, and A Good Year................and I haven't seen 1492 since theaters.

White Squall is fucking great.

All the Prometheus coverage has me in a Ridley mood, so I'm going to work my way through his films again from start to finish.  I'm looking forward to revisiting ones I haven't seen in a long time (particularly The Duellists) and the ones I haven't seen at all.

AI just saw Robin Hood again, and despite it's problems it's still a solidly entertaining movie. Ridley can't not shoot something great.

It's telling how this has morphed into a Ridley Scott discussion.

Page One:  Friday Night Lights.  Page 2: Ridley Scott.  What will Page 3 bring?

ATony Scott!

Page 3 will never be born.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKMITE8 View Post

..."

If that line is not in the film then they've ruined the entire mythology behind the Battleship board game and this film will be called BINO (Battleship IN NAME ONLY).

Sad)

Some interview I read (can't place it this far removed) had Ridley Scott saying "I will probably die on set, maybe after taking my morning coffee," or something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhukov View Post

Some interview I read (can't place it this far removed) had Ridley Scott saying "I will probably die on set, maybe after taking my morning coffee," or something like that.

I seriously think he will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKMITE8 View Post

..."

Apparently he will.