Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SHORT CIRCUIT GETS CHIPMUNKED
by Elisabeth Rappe: link

Prepare yourself now with the appropriate numbing agent.

From the headline, I thought it was going to be a Johnny 5/Chipmunks crossover.

Ah, for the days when this news got a rise out of us.

I have no idea if the original holds up, as its been at least 25 years since I've seen it, but I've got the nostalgia goggles on pretty tight when it comes to it as going to the movies to see it with my Dad is one of those vivid memories from childhood for some reason. I also thought at the time the Rorshach, "I see no shit" joke was about the funniest thing I'd ever heard. Hey, screw you I was nine.

That said I just can't get worked up over this shit anymore. Congrats suits of Hollywood, you've officially worn me down.

Eh. The original still has its moments--quite a few, actually-- but a classic, it ain't.

Fun fact: The man responsible for the first Chipmunk movie used to be a story writer on Rocko's Modern Life, and still does story work on Spongebob. So, we can't kill him. But he definitely needs to be bitched up some for that movie.

Past that, I have no strong feelings either way.

The original was so awful, but the premise of a runaway robot is perfect candidate to be retooled for a new generation of kids. Movies like this are what should be remade more often: they have a fanbase, but either they don't work, or what does work, is such a small achievement that the only way to go is up.

(Am I hating? Maybe I'm just mad that I have that "Who's Johnny?" song stuck in my head all these years later)

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rain Dog View Post

I have no idea if the original holds up, as its been at least 25 years since I've seen it, but I've got the nostalgia goggles on pretty tight when it comes to it as going to the movies to see it with my Dad is one of those vivid memories from childhood for some reason. I also thought at the time the Rorshach, "I see no shit" joke was about the funniest thing I'd ever heard. Hey, screw you I was nine.

That said I just can't get worked up over this shit anymore. Congrats suits of Hollywood, you've officially worn me down.

Same here.  I saw it with my parents, I laughed my ass off, quoted the film incessantly...and would probably loathe it if I saw it today.  I bet it's probably  good two decades since I saw it as well.

But yeah, more than anything, I just feel TIRED.   This isn't a remake like True Grit to get excited about, and it ain't one to get angry about.  I am ennui, snoozer of news.

Whoa, had this confused with Batteries Not Included for a minute there and was beginning to feel minor ire.

I HAVE actually seen both 1 and 2 recently (well last year) aside from fisher Stevens greatness there is nothing that could not be remade today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Savage View Post

I HAVE actually seen both 1 and 2 recently (well last year) aside from fisher Stevens greatness there is nothing that could not be remade today

Well Ken, I doubt they'll remake Johnny 5 himself. Rather they'll CGI the living fuck out of him, losing a lot of the cheesy charm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatoon View Post

Whoa, had this confused with Batteries Not Included for a minute there and was beginning to feel minor ire.

That there's a movie that will raise my blood pressure if it ever gets remade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post

(Am I hating? Maybe I'm just mad that I have that "Who's Johnny?" song stuck in my head all these years later)

I'll admit to having that jaunty El DeBarge solo banger stuck in my iPod. Between this and  'Rhythm of The Night' from The Last Dragon, the DeBarge clan made a significant sonic contribution to awful 80s cinema. Gotta love the video, too, where Steve Guttenberg -either due to scheduling conflicts or embarrassment- is represented by a cardboard cut-out.