Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
so, there's a knock on the door...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TzuDohNihm View Post

This thread, well VTran mostly, reminds me of my favorite Koan for some reason.

mall;">Nan-in, a Japanese master during the Meiji era (1868-1912), received a university professor who came to inquire about Zen.

mall;">Nan-in served tea. He poured his visitor's cup full, and then kept on pouring.

mall;">The professor watched the overflow until he no longer could restrain himself. "It is overfull. No more will go in!"

mall;">"Like this cup," Nan-in said, "you are full of your own opinions and speculations. How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup?"

thanks, I love serving tea.

;-)

I just read through this whole thread and can't believe that none of you guys know that Mormons actually believe in 12 Commandments, not 10.  When you asked for the 10 Commandmends, they probably were just confused and thought you were the dumb ass.  It's like asking them if they are enjoying the nice green sky.  And since you guys all seem to know your Bible history, tell me what those extra two Mormon commandments are.

Sheesh!  Don't you guys know any Mormons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post

I just read through this whole thread and can't believe that none of you guys know that Mormons actually believe in 12 Commandments, not 10.  When you asked for the 10 Commandmends, they probably were just confused and thought you were the dumb ass.  It's like asking them if they are enjoying the nice green sky.  And since you guys all seem to know your Bible history, tell me what those extra two Mormon commandments are.

Sheesh!  Don't you guys know any Mormons?

I never said the guys that came to my door were Mormons...

I know.  I just made that shit up anyways.  Sounded good, though.  You never know with Mormons.  They could have 20 commandments for all I know.  Mormons be crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TzuDohNihm View Post

This thread, well VTran mostly, reminds me of my favorite Koan for some reason.

mall;">Nan-in, a Japanese master during the Meiji era (1868-1912), received a university professor who came to inquire about Zen.

mall;">Nan-in served tea. He poured his visitor's cup full, and then kept on pouring.

mall;">The professor watched the overflow until he no longer could restrain himself. "It is overfull. No more will go in!"

mall;">"Like this cup," Nan-in said, "you are full of your own opinions and speculations. How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup?"

See if more doorknockers came to people as Bruce Lee's ghost from No Retreat, No Surrender we might have something here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzman View Post

See if more doorknockers came to people as Bruce Lee's ghost from No Retreat, No Surrender we might have something here.

bingo! ....can you say SEQUEL !!

ok, someone here has to have Van Damme's phone #

Okay, I take back what I said before VTRan. I've just had a terrifying encounter than ended up, not just on my front door. I guess this place now becomes the thread where we put this kind of nonsense?

I Went to the shops and passed a man in the street, he was probably in his late 40's. He said hello, I waved and said hello back, I carried on walking. He looked quite a bit drunk, not in a violent way, just open and happy. I Went into the shop, bought some soap, while walking through the isle, in front of me, the man appears, He's followed me into the shop. He starts telling me that he likes me. Really likes me. He asks me if I have "a bit of Chinese in me" I tell him I'm part Sri Lankan. He then grabs my crotch and tells me he "can't wait to get to know me". I tell him to go home, hes very drunk and probably needs the rest. I tell him I don't know who he is, or what he wants, but I'd rather not be followed around shops.

At this point, a middle aged alcoholic woman walks past me, asking where the beers are, I point her to the beer fridge right next to her and she gets mad violent and swings for me. I walk across the shop and the man comes up to me, tries to grab me and holds my hand. I tell him I've got to get home, as my dinner is cooking. He goes off and I pay for my things. The shop keeper is pissing himself with laughter "you make love tonight, ey? Ahahahaha" I go outside, to find the man waiting for me. I ask him if he's following me, and he says I'm his "fucking type of guy" and asks if we can walk home together. I say I'm going home but that I don't know where he's going. We continue on, he keeps telling me how "pretty" I am.

I tell him I'm going and he gets annoyed, punching me in the back lightly as I walk on. I turn around, ask him not to do that, he asks for a hug, but as he's getting a bit violent, I stupidly agree to it, hoping he'll go away afterwards, but he grabs my hand, holds it to his face and strokes his cheek with it. He asks me my name, I refuse to tell him and he tells me his is Stefan. I carry on and he walks with me, as I get to my door, he tells me I'm "a cunt" for rejecting and leaving him. I go inside, take a pan off the boil, then, the door knocks and it's Stefan. I open it up to ask him what he wants, he pushes right into the house and shuts the door. Now he's in my house.

A drunk stranger, hitting on me, in my house... I keep him by the door, he continues to try and grab at me. I tell him if he doesn't go, I'll call the police, because this is totally fucking mad. He says he doesn't understand what my problem is. He continues to mumble and tell me how much he likes me, grabbing at my shoulders and stroking my chest. I tell him to leave again, that I've been pretty polite considering and he gets violent, grabbing my neck and putting his hands round it, pulling me in for a kiss. I pull away and start to call him a cab. He shuts down, slumps against the wall and nods, apologising. I call for a cab, he tells me he'll be back, and then I'll see him again. Because he loves me. Suddenly I realise I should probably record this on the phone in case anything mental happens, as he's edging closer to the kitchen and getting more violent in his outbursts.

I don't know how to embed this, so I'll have to link to soundcloud. Unless someone can show me. http://snd.sc/yXbsbg

Sean I hate to say it mate, but you were way too nice and accomodating to that particular brand of crazy - as someone who spent a long time being too nice by half and having it blow up in my face with crazies and scumbags in situations like the one you outlined above, sometimes the rules of social etiquette don't apply. Survival and protection are the order of the day.

Most importantly - are you okay? Have you reported this and given the guys description? He sounds like he needs to be medicated and cared for, not out randomly on the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rain Dog View Post

Sean I hate to say it mate, but you were way too nice and accomodating to that particular brand of crazy - as someone who spent a long time being too nice by half and having it blow up in my face with crazies and scumbags in situations like the one you outlined above, sometimes the rules of social etiquette don't apply. Survival and protection are the order of the day.

Most importantly - are you okay? Have you reported this and given the guys description? He sounds like he needs to be medicated and cared for, not out randomly on the street.

Agreed. With that kind of crazy you have to be strident in your refusals, because they'll take anything less as reciprocation even if it's really obvious you're not interested. And yeah, you alright? That is fucked right up.

Yeah, I called the police and said he'd probably be wandering around and needed to be taken home. I was a lot less polite at the start, but I live in a rough part of town and sometimes just playing nice gets them out of your hair a lot faster. He was clearly out of his mind and I'm not totally sure he knew what he was doing so just calling the police and getting him arrested seemed pretty harsh. He also had a wedding ring on, so I didn't want his possibly secret gay life to fuck up on him. He's gone now anyway, hoping he doesn't come back. This isn't the first time I've had nutters at the door anyway. The scariest thing was his throttling of me for a brief time. I like to think I took an Englishman's approach to this.

Sean, very scary, you should have walked right to a police station, not a place where you could be cornered. What if you'd been assaulted and he had HIV? Glad you are safe, but you were in true peril

That's just fuckin' insane. Glad you're OK, mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCE View Post

Yeah, I called the police and said he'd probably be wandering around and needed to be taken home. I was a lot less polite at the start, but I live in a rough part of town and sometimes just playing nice gets them out of your hair a lot faster. He was clearly out of his mind and I'm not totally sure he knew what he was doing so just calling the police and getting him arrested seemed pretty harsh. He also had a wedding ring on, so I didn't want his possibly secret gay life to fuck up on him. He's gone now anyway, hoping he doesn't come back. This isn't the first time I've had nutters at the door anyway. The scariest thing was his throttling of me for a brief time. I like to think I took an Englishman's approach to this.

Can I ask where you live Sean? PM me if you prefer.

In a small, decaying seaside town. But I'm in the unsavory, ghetto area where all the awful people are. There was a stabbing murder thing down the road last summer and most of the places near me are full of peados in temp placement.

first off ... W  T  F  and hoooleee shit !?1?

2nd ....if they give out Nobel awards for the being the "most patient person on Earth", your name is in the process of being engraved on the medal.

just WOW....can you call and report this type of behavior to the local police? Do the police have a 'drunk wagon' that picks up individuals that are that far gone?

I know I really don't have to say this (do I ?) ...don't EVER let someone like this into your home/apt. much less follow you home. Go anywhere else, preferably where there are other people.

It might be the paranoid US citizen in me but this kind of story pops up in the papers here occasionally and it usually has a really fucked up ending.

I used have an apt. 'downtown' where there was a fair share of people walking around due to a couple bars nearby. I've had to deal with fair amount of drunk people that were sitting on the steps of my apt. but they were mostly amicable to 'moving on' after a bit of vocal encouragement...but never anything like what you experienced.

it couldn't hurt to be just a little more..."assertive" when it comes to events such as this

stay safe

I think, after an event like this, I'd rather like to scrap the last two pages of me taking some kind of retarded moral high ground. I've had people at the door before, but I've never been followed into a shop, hassled in the shop, followed home and then had someone BARGE into my flat. I've also never been hit on by a guy like that. I'm slightly flattered. But I read the situation as one where, if I got assertive, it could have gotten ugly, so just acting like I was his friend till he was gone was for the best. If he remembers anything in the morning, I'm sure he'll feel like a total dick. Also, to point out how strange this was, it was only 10:30pm. That seems far too early for something like this to happen.

Sean you don't know that he was drunk and not seriously disturbed. You should not have let this guy know where you live, and again, you should have gone where there were people. I don't hang around many drunk people, but this doesn't sound like "normal" drunk behavior

I'm flattered your considering my safety, the guy was clearly drunk and had some issues. He didn't kill me, so I'm fine, but I had to go home. I left the house for 10 minutes to go the shop, which is literally at the end of my road. If I hadn't gone home right away, it would have burnt down as I left my dinner on. This is perhaps the most dangerous thing ever to happen to me in my acquirement of cheddar cheese. I will say this, my dog is fucking useless. It barked once, then sat down in its bed. I'd have certainly been more assertive and called the police if my partner was home, but she's visiting family in Canada, so I played it by ear.

But I'd love to hear if anything else like this has happened to chewers.

Posted on the boards last year by me:

I was wandering around at 3 am on 1/21/09 in DC, and I was freezing and sick and hung over. And some sketchy dirty looking guy tried to sell me American flags. I refused saying I had no money. He got really insistent and said I could go to an ATM. I said I didn't know where one was. So he said he'd take me, and we walked to one. I had my dad's ATM card, but didn't know his pin, so I couldn't get any money. The guy was like "You can call your dad", to which I replied "My dad is 85 and asleep". That finally deterred him and he left, but I am pretty sure the whole thing could have ended badly

Well fuck that. That's completely terrifying. How did you get home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCE View Post

Well fuck that. That's completely terrifying. How did you get home?

With exhausting effort

I had planned to stay up all night and meet my dad the next day at a train station, as he'd driven down to pick me up, and I was taking the metro out to meet him at a specific place. But he wasn't there, my phone died, and I had like 2 minutes of battery left, and I frantically tried to call up my mom but she was being crazy and didn't like my harried tone and kept saying she wouldn't help unless I was "nicer" or something, and I was trying to explain I only had like 30 seconds of battery and we needed to exchange alot of info very quickly

Then I ran out of battery

I had to beg subway people to open up an electrical outlet in a wall, in a freezing cold tunnel, where I crouched on the floor and had to hold my charger into the outlet because it wouldn't fit right on its own, and I would charge enough to get one minute of talk time, call my mom, try to explain my plight only to have her shut me down, charge again, repeat

I had to pace back and forth in the cold tunnel waiting, because I was seriously concerned I was going to just pass out, having been awake for 35 hours, walked roughly 10 miles, and spent most of the past 24 hrs in freezing winter conditions outside

Eventually my dad somehow found me, and I proceeded to black out in the car, waking up in Massachusetts

And with that, I think you just trumped me with a peril story. Brilliant. Lets keep doing this till one of us reveals they're dead and a ghost.

Holy carp, Sean.  I was certain that story was going to end with "And then I woke up."

I think you should have left the TV on as the laugh track would have made that recording the tits.

Just had another pair of bible saleswomen come to my door and yet again, they were unable to pass the 'Colbert test'.

I gave them a minute or so to ramble on about 'the kingdom', being saved, yadda yadda, then  I asked the 10 Commandments question...nada.

I will give one of the women credit for letting me know that 40 men were had written the bible....of course, when I mentioned that 'technically' the bible has been written and rewritten and rewritten so many times that it's more than likely a good bit of editorial 'drift' has entered into the 'original' text.....nope, this was the 'right version'.

Of note was that of the 2 women, only one did any talking. The other was a young women who just stood there looking at the ground and not saying anything....she barely even looked up....I'm thinking that it was just a bit of shyness or, most likely, boredom.

As they were leaving, I looked at the young woman and mentioned to her that she should "question everything".

AIt's fun to go back, reread this thread, and imagine SeanCE ever saying the shit to VTRan's face that he was willing to say online without a trace of irony.

I haven't had much contact with the Jehovah's Witnesses since moving from Groton, Connecticut, to New Haven just over a year ago. I'm not certain where the nearest Kingdom Hall is, but there almost certainly is one. Maybe some neighborhoods in the city are sufficiently rough that the local Jehovah's Witnesses congregation puts less emphasis on the door to door proselytism.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess Kate View Post

With exhausting effort

I had planned to stay up all night and meet my dad the next day at a train station, as he'd driven down to pick me up, and I was taking the metro out to meet him at a specific place. But he wasn't there, my phone died, and I had like 2 minutes of battery left, and I frantically tried to call up my mom but she was being crazy and didn't like my harried tone and kept saying she wouldn't help unless I was "nicer" or something, and I was trying to explain I only had like 30 seconds of battery and we needed to exchange alot of info very quickly

Then I ran out of battery

I had to beg subway people to open up an electrical outlet in a wall, in a freezing cold tunnel, where I crouched on the floor and had to hold my charger into the outlet because it wouldn't fit right on its own, and I would charge enough to get one minute of talk time, call my mom, try to explain my plight only to have her shut me down, charge again, repeat

I had to pace back and forth in the cold tunnel waiting, because I was seriously concerned I was going to just pass out, having been awake for 35 hours, walked roughly 10 miles, and spent most of the past 24 hrs in freezing winter conditions outside

Eventually my dad somehow found me, and I proceeded to black out in the car, waking up in Massachusetts

I miss all of this.

ASomeone rang my doorbell the other day and I shouted, "Go away!" because I didn't feel like putting on pants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

Someone rang my doorbell the other day and I shouted, "Go away!" because I didn't feel like putting on pants.

FYI- who was knocking....

A:'(