Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Van Halen in 2018...
Hmm. In reviewing the tracks, I'm wondering if I'm elevating the album because of basically three tracks:

And the Cradle Will Rock
Everybody Wants Some!
In a Simple Rhyme

I vastly disagree with Klosterman about Cradle; it's easily a top ten VH song, if not top 5.

"Everybody" is just classic party VH. Maybe not a great song by itself but so representational of the band's joie de vivre.

"Rhyme" is a personal favorite so my biases are coloring that. Regardless, I hold it up as a great song and a great VH song: it's catchy AF, musically pleasing, and pop without being insulting and rock without being alienating.

Rest of the album is sort of a wash for me, though I also like "Take Your Whiskey Home."
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
WACF is all about 'Romeo Delight' for me. That's one of VH's best songs.
(09-10-2018, 09:43 AM)martianman Wrote: I honestly love those Hagar-era albums, and "Balance" is better than you remember it being. They just started getting really pop-music with the songs, which is what I think is part of what led them to getting rid of Sammy. I completely forgot about that last album with DLR--I guess I'll be getting on Spotify today and will listen to that.

EDIT: And yeah, this is my thoughts on Sammy Hagar--"a rock star who doesn’t act like a rock star, a self-aware interview subject, a laid-back workaholic and the pop metal version of Jimmy Buffett." I never lost my mind the way other people did when he took over. I actually worked at a record store when that was happening, and it made me laugh at the people that just burned inside because of how popular the 5150 album got, and they were die-hard DLR lovers.

Balance has the riffage of Seventh Seal, Don't Tell Me (What Love Can Do), Baluchetherium, Aftershock and Feelin', as well as a proper sing along with Amsterdam. I'm also rather partial to Not Enough as a ballad. Never mind that weird thing where Eddie scrapes a knife along the strings, though. The well of solo guitar instrumental ideas had clearly run dry!

There is a lot of deep rumble and heaviness in that album - it's overall slower and has a darker production than other albums, but I really like it. Some of the soloing is amazing, too - all lyrical and sinewy, with a more elegant use of speed than your average shredder.
From a production standpoint, Balance is the best they've ever sounded. It's an album I stopped listening to for a long time but within the last few years, it's grown on me.

Eddie's right, the lyrics to Amsterdam are really stupid but it's still catchy as hell.
I can understand Eddie's frustration. No-one in their right mind would go to the Bulldog to score some Panama Red. It's an over-priced tourist trap!

There is an epic feel to the sound of Eddie's guitar on that album that still strikes me to this day.