Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
War Drums
(09-01-2018, 03:37 PM)Dent6084 Wrote: Venezuela? Fuckin' Venezuela? Are they that desperate for a war to drive up Trump's numbers?

It makes some sense in that Trump is a lazy coward and Venezuela is a far easier target than Iran or North Korea. The people bringing up Panama as a reason we should do this are nuts.
"You want a vision of the future?Imagine a boot stomping on a human face.....forever."
To mark 100 years after the end of the First World War, the moat encircling the Tower of London was filled with around 10,000 flames:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/1...80306.html

Quote:Around 10,000 flames have filled the empty moat encircling the Tower of London to mark the centenary of the end of the First World War.

A ceremonial Beefeater guard began the lighting ceremony on Sunday evening by bringing a flame down from the tower into the moat, which had been submerged in smoke.

Dozens of representatives from the armed forces and volunteers then used the flame to ignite thousands of other torches staked into or placed on the ground underneath the tower, bathing the barren moat in light.
Clicked on the link to check it out, see video below "Liz Hurley shows off bikini body with striptease". Truly you died for the greater good men.
Huh.  I clicked the link and it's still working for me.  Here's a video:

The mayor of North Ogden, Utah was killed in Afghanistan; he was months away from finishing his tour:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/03/politics/...6T20:10:49
This is one hell of a statement from Emmanuel Macron:

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/...way-222401

Quote:It was a shocking statement, one that would have been unimaginable not very long ago. French President Emmanuel Macron, touring the battlefields of World War I, told a reporter that it’s time for Europe to build a real army. “We have to protect ourselves with respect to China, Russia, and even the United States.” 

Yes, the italics are mine, because the notion that America’s oldest ally, one of its closest friends, is even considering the possibility that it might one day need an army to defend itself from the U.S. is an extraordinary development, alarming evidence of the damage President Donald Trump has inflicted on America’s relations with the rest of the world and on the geopolitical principles that have kept the West largely at peace for many decades.

Macron was speaking in Verdun, site of one of the greatest battles of what some still call the Great War. Trump is joining Macron and other world leaders in France this weekend to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Armistice Day, the end of World War I. That was the war that marked the transformation of the United States into a global power.
That is goddamn terrifying...
"Wilford Brimley can't be bothered to accept praise. He doesn't act because he thinks people will enjoy his work. He acts because it's his goddamned job." --Will Harris, AV Club
There's a very real concern held by few that in a potential WW3, the USA will be the aggressor.  

The fact that the President of France lends his voice to that sentiment is terrifying.
If his goal is to ramp up support for a European army, positioning the U.S. as a potential threat down the road, particularly given Trump's vocal support for nationalism, seems like an effective way of doing that. It's depressing we are pushing away some of our most traditional allies, but we already knew that was happening. On its face I would view this rhetoric as more about advancing that particular agenda than about the U.S. and Europe being particularly close to war at this point in time. But what it is symptomatic of is the world once again becoming more fractured-- Putin is getting his wish.
At this point, I would greet the invading French army as liberators. However you say that in French.
That the US has flipped from unquestionable ally to potential adversary is a sentiment I have heard expressed a bit since Trump came to power. I'm fortunate enough to count reasonably influential people amongst my wider circle of friends and that sort of existential issue - the sudden clarity that the most powerful nation on the planet might no longer be assumed to align with the interests of other Western countries, and how that might play out - was certainly one that played across various informal chats I had late 2016 into 2017. The cock up of Brexit has somewhat taken up all the air in the room since then.

Interesting that Macron has decided to break cover, although there is a strong, independently nationalist streak in France that combines with the continuing belief that it is a great power (not unlike Britain in some ways) that makes it less surprising that he feels a statement like that is valuable internally. He's also been struggling to make his reform programme show tangible early results, so stuff like this is partly bread and circuses. Lastly, as Bailey said, his overall policy programme is the centralisation and strengthening of European integration, including an army (or institutions of military co-operation distinct from NATO) so this also fits with that. Merkel said Europe should not expect to rely on the US in future, which is part of the same continuum.
France has been pulling shit like this forever. A Euro army has been an EU pipe dream forever and it's not "terrifying" at all.
I am not terrified of an EU army. I am terrified of a world where the US is seen as unwilling to aid Europe against Russia or China, and worse as a possible antagonist to which Europe must be ready to deal with.
"Wilford Brimley can't be bothered to accept praise. He doesn't act because he thinks people will enjoy his work. He acts because it's his goddamned job." --Will Harris, AV Club
I think Macron is just using good old anti 'muricanism to push the army dream. Kinda crass in the face of a 100 year anniversary of a nightmarish conflict that they helped you end but o well.
It can be two things!
Fear mongering for more sweet military industrial complex money, or are we really screwed regarding WW3?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/us-militar...s?ref=home
"You want a vision of the future?Imagine a boot stomping on a human face.....forever."
Wait... there'd be a winner in WWIII?
A Navy SEALS is facing charges that "he shot indiscriminately at civilians, killed a teenage Islamic State fighter with a handmade custom blade, and then performed his re-enlistment ceremony posing with the teenager’s bloody corpse in front of an American flag."

Disturbing.  Eight deployments over 19 years...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/15/us/na...-isis.html

Quote:Edward Gallagher was something special, even by the punishing standards of the Navy SEALs. Both a lifesaving medic and a crack sniper, he was repeatedly decorated for valor and for coolheaded leadership during 19 years of combat deployments. After his latest tour, fighting Islamic State militants in Iraq, he was named the top platoon leader in SEAL Team 7 and nominated for the Silver Star, the military’s third-highest honor.

But now, less than a year later, Special Operations Chief Gallagher, 39, is locked in the brig, facing charges that during that same deployment — his eighth — he shot indiscriminately at civilians, killed a teenage Islamic State fighter with a handmade custom blade, and then performed his re-enlistment ceremony posing with the teenager’s bloody corpse in front of an American flag.

The Navy has charged Chief Gallagher with premeditated murder, attempted murder and nearly a dozen other offenses, including obstruction of justice and bringing “discredit upon the armed forces.” If he is convicted, he could spend the rest of his life in prison.

Chief Gallagher denies all the charges.

The case has sent waves through the secretive world of the SEALs, who prefer to operate behind the headlines in an atmosphere of silent professionalism. And the case may widen as the investigation implicates other SEALs who did not report what they knew. A lieutenant has already been charged.

The chief’s arrest has also shaken his family, who cannot square the list of war crimes with the sailor they have long known.

“This is not who Eddie is,” his wife, Andrea Gallagher, said in an interview. “He is a lifesaver. He is that guy who runs into the burning building when other people are running out.”