Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 2016 Elections Thread

Then I'd compare him to George HW Bush, who was also competent but a Gaffe machine. HW Bush got into office riding the Reagan coat tails.

Which brings up a point: who will Obama bless for 2016? He really owes Biden at this point, but everyone seems to have anointed Hilary, JUST LIKE IN 2008!

Has Biden even indicated he wants to run?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post

Has Biden even indicated he wants to run?

Per Google:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=doe...+president

Just listened to this interview on Fresh Air. The title pretty much sums up Cruz.

"Jeffrey Toobin, profiled Cruz in The New Yorker last June and wrote about Cruz's legal and political background."

Journalist Says Ted Cruz's Message Is Clear That 'Compromise Is For Losers'

To be clear, Cruz is definitely smart....in that scary, Bond Villain/cult leader/Cheney way. He really seems like he's of those individuals that lack the ability to be introspective. He's doing what he's been 'called' to do and how could that be wrong?

One statement from Toobin that stood out to me as well-

:

"You know, there is a real connection, I think, between constitutional literalism and biblical literalism - that the Bible means precisely what the words say. It is not a metaphor. It is not symbolic speech. It is a literal approach."

AThat's why we have a Supreme Court, right, to interpret the Constitution that's actually super-literal in everything it says? I mean, duh.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

That's why we have a Supreme Court, right, to interpret the Constitution that's actually super-literal in everything it says? I mean, duh.

Heaven's forbid we should consider context when it comes to words that were written over 200 yrs ago....

AWhy would we?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

Why would we?

Why shouldn't we?

excerpt from a letter Thomas Jefferson wrote to Samuel Kercheval
July 12, 1816 Monticello

Quote:

Some men look at constitutions with sanctimonious reverence, and deem them like the arc of the covenant, too sacred to be touched. They ascribe to the men of the preceding age a wisdom more than human, and suppose what they did to be beyond amendment. I knew that age well; I belonged to it, and labored with it. It deserved well of its country. It was very like the present, but without the experience of the present; and forty years of experience in government is worth a century of book-reading; and this they would say themselves, were they to rise from the dead. I am certainly not an advocate for frequent and untried changes in laws and constitutions. I think moderate imperfections had better be borne with; because, when once known, we accommodate ourselves to them, and find practical [12] means of correcting their ill effects. But I know also, that laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths disclosed, and manners and opinions change with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also, and keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy, as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors.

http://oll.libertyfund.org/titles/808#lf...2_head_006

Edit

AWhat does Thomas Jefferson know?!
AThe Republican Party's Religious Right faction has its eye on two problems, looking forward to the primary season. The first is a realization that dividing their vote among the many grifters who haunt the primary season's early months dilutes their influence in the Republican coalition. The second is a fear that Jeb Bush, the early favorite candidate of the party's Military Industrial Complex faction, might not hate all the right things with enough sincerity.

Quote:The leaders of evangelical and other socially conservative groups say they do not believe that Mr. Bush, the former governor of Florida — whom they already view as the preferred candidate of the Republican Party’s establishment — would fight for the issues they care most about: opposing same-sex marriage, holding the line on an immigration overhaul and rolling back abortion rights.

The efforts to coalesce behind an alternative candidate — in frequent calls, teleconferences and meetings involving a range of organizations, many of them with overlapping memberships — are premised on two articles of conservative faith: Republicans did not win the White House in the past two elections because their nominees were too moderate and failed to excite the party’s base. And a conservative alternative failed to win the nomination each time because grass-roots voters did not unite behind a single champion in the primary fight.

This time, social conservatives vow, will be different. They plan to unify behind an anti-establishment candidate by this summer or early fall, with the expectation that they will be able to overcome the presumed fund-raising advantage of the Republican elite by exerting their own influence through right-wing talk radio and social media, and by mobilizing an army of like-minded small donors.

Quote:The yearning for a single conservative contender to unite behind was perhaps most in evidence last month, when a dozen leaders of evangelical and other groups gathered for a half-day conference to discuss possible candidates in Dana Point, Calif.

The retreat, at the five-star St. Regis Monarch Beach resort, was the latest in a series organized by Mr. Perkins, of the Family Research Center, according to people briefed about the proceedings.

The session culminated in a vote for “the most viable candidate.” The result, projected on a screen at the front of a conference room, showed Mr. Huckabee, a former Baptist preacher, as the winner. In a three-way tie for second were Mr. Perry, Mr. Jindal and Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin, according to a cellphone photo of the results shared with The New York Times.

The Feb. 19 session in Dana Point came more than a month before Mr. Cruz, the son of a fiery conservative pastor, generated a flurry of attention by formally declaring himself a candidate for president.

Source: Trip Gabriel, for the New York Times: Unhappy With a Moderate Jeb Bush, Conservatives Aim to Unite Behind an Alternative
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reasor View Post

The Republican Party's Religious Right faction has its eye on two problems, looking forward to the primary season. The first is a realization that dividing their vote among the many grifters who haunt the primary season's early months dilutes their influence in the Republican coalition. The second is a fear that Jeb Bush, the early favorite candidate of the party's Military Industrial Complex faction, might not hate all the right things with enough sincerity.

Source: Trip Gabriel, for the New York Times: Unhappy With a Moderate Jeb Bush, Conservatives Aim to Unite Behind an Alternative

".......if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?"

ASo not even 48 hours since announcing, Ted Cruz signs his wife up for Obamacare. On my phone so can't link article but it broke on CNN during an interview with Dana Bash. Ooooops!

And Rush Limbaugh was crucifying him about that this morning.

AAnd he said there were some good things about the ACA. Not a big deal for most of us, but when your career is defined by opposing Obamacare, it's kind of the worst thing you could have done.
AOh, I thought he did it ironically.

Fuck, so I guess his candidacy's already over then? That's got to be a record.

http://www.tedcruz.com/

AFox News has already come out against Cruz, their regular irregulars saying things on the air like "we've already tried electing a single term senator" (referring to Obama in what's meant to be an unkind comparison) and "what have you actually accomplished?" One could argue that Fox is squarely planted in the "party elite" faction mentioned in the Times article above, who view the Tea Party and Religious Right as useful idiots to be milked for votes, but not actually listened to.
ATed Cruz hasn't wasted any time staking out a constituency since declaring his candidacy for President on Monday. Last night he was at his first campaign event in New Hampshire, hosted by a guy whose Facebook page is a sea of UFO sightings and New World Order conspiracy theory bullshit.

Quote:Take three of his posts from this month alone.

On Thursday, Kimball wrote, “Wake up America! Operation Jade Helm 15 (look it up) has now expanded to 10 states. It starts July 15 and ends in Mid September.”

His post linked to a YouTube video titled “Military Takeover Plan Revealed: Is Your State Next.”

On March 17, Kimball posted, “Urgent Urgent Urgent The US has gone to defcon 3 (yellow) and there has apparently been some air battles between our Air Force and Russia off the coast of Alaska. Just happened a short time ago. Check out this video then go to the defcon message board for further information (google it). Spread the word.”

And on March 11, he linked to a video purportedly showing an “armada of UFOs” over California.
AConspiracy theorists seem to live in a much more exciting world than sane people. I'm almost jealous.
AI read Bill Cooper's "Behold A Pale Horse" when I was (much) younger and more impressionable. I must admit, even the slimmest possibility that the Galileo probe's planned collision with Jupiter could have been a secret Illuminati plot to usher in a one world antichrist religion by starting a chain reaction within the gas giant and turning it into a second sun made the spacecraft's entry into the Jovian atmosphere much more exciting to anticipate and watch.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reasor View Post

I read Bill Cooper's "Behold A Pale Horse" when I was (much) younger and more impressionable. I must admit, even the slimmest possibility that the Galileo probe's planned collision with Jupiter could have been a secret Illuminati plot to usher in a one world antichrist religion by starting a chain reaction within the gas giant and turning it into a second sun made the spacecraft's entry into the Jovian atmosphere much more exciting to anticipate and watch.

You got farther into that book than I did. I got lost somewhere between the Aliens cutting a Real Estate deal with the Air Force to an Army vs Navy Secret Intel groups fighting each other, each in league with the Greys or the Nordic Aliens.

While I did read and enjoy One Foot in Atlantis, I didn't believe a word of it. The book's thesis is that Atlantis was real and its survivors jump started civilization as we know it.

I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.