Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SCHWARTZBLOG: The Very Worst Named Blog
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post

BEST OF 2017:  GODLESS

Great writeup that finally gives me a reason to check out Godless. Word's been pretty tepid for the most part but I always thought it looked interesting.

I'm hoping Review made the cut.

I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!

Godless is a beautiful, straightforward western yarn that doesn't outstay its welcome.  It's only drawback is that the troubled badass male lead is about the 16th most interesting person/performance on the show.

Review only airing 3 episodes really hurt it.  That's less airtime than the pilot of Godless, which is already pretty much a miniseries rather than full season.  but I do love it so.

AWatch Feud yet?

Couldn't find it streaming anywhere for free, so it did not get consideration.

FEUD is great, though Ryan Murphy really needs to start casting Jessica Lange in different roles. The woman is a scenery-eating machine.

BEST OF 2017:  BETTER CALL SAUL

AGoal for 2018: Don't even worry about trying to be as good at writing as Schwartz, just try to get as good at watching.

BEST OF 2017:  LEGION and FARGO

BEST OF 2017: RICK AND MORTY

BEST OF 2017:  THE HANDMAID'S TALE

BEST OF 2017:  BROCKMIRE

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post

BEST OF 2017:  THE HANDMAID'S TALE

I keep meaning to get around to watching this.  It's a testament to how much excellent tv is currently available that so many great shows fall into the 'oh yeah, I need to watch this' pile.  I've got this, THE EXPANSE, and MR. ROBOT on this pile at the moment.

AOh, I think you'll absolutely dig on The Expanse.

I loved S1 of THE EXPANSE, so I'm pretty sure that I'll love S2.  Again, I just haven't gotten around to it.  Shit, PEAKY BLINDERS S4 just hit and I'm already wondering when I'll have time to watch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

I loved S1 of THE EXPANSE, so I'm pretty sure that I'll love S2.  Again, I just haven't gotten around to it.

Same boat.  The bits and pieces I've picked up on make it sound like people dig S2 even more than the first.  And the first gave us Thomas Jane, Hipster Space Detective!

There is an episode in season two of The Expanse that, in my opinion, ranks among the best ever in sci-fi. I feel I have to qualify it like that, rather than saying best ever of any genre, just because it's very sci-fi. It's a wonderful, transcendent, emotional beat. Pitch perfect evocation of grace. It's worth watching the first half of the season just for that.

The rest of the season may depend on whether you think a certain actress has a certain rough-hewn emotional simplicity or is simply rough-hewn wood. Everything else is great, but as an increasingly important part of the ensemble I find her a bit challenging.

I really to need get back on The Expanse. I enjoyed season 1 a lot but at the beginning of season 2 I realized that I couldn't remember much that had happened previously (the show has so many moving parts), which just made it confusing for me.

I remember Tom Jane, Hipster Space Detective and liking Amos's rough hewn quality.  The rest was hurt by it being one of the shows where the lead is a bit an empty (space)suit.

Jane is such a weird fucking actor.

BEST OF 2017:  BOJACK HORSEMAN

Hey Schwartz: not sure if you have time, but watch PEAKY BLINDERS S4 (it just hit Netflix).  I think it'd make your 'best of' list quite handily.

AI watched most of the first season of Peaky Blinders when it debuted. For whatever reason it didn’t grab me. Maybe I’ll circle back to it at some point, but I’ll have a lot of catching up to do.
The Americans final season premiere got me thinking about time jumps, and why this one shouldn't have worked
INFINITY SCHWARTZBLOG
That's a splendid piece of Infinity War review Schwartz. The most splendid in fact. And I'm with you on pretty much all of it.