Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SCHWARTZBLOG: The Very Worst Named Blog
[Image: giphy.gif?cid=790b76115ce3d23a4a6d4e5341...=giphy.gif]
And now Schwartz too knows what it's like to write for an impatient, ungrateful audience.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
(05-21-2019, 07:45 AM)Evi Wrote: And now Schwartz too knows what it's like to write for an impatient, ungrateful audience.

He's too busy on the talkshow and 'con circuits to remember us fans.

We are ENTITLED to demand Schwartzblog.
(05-21-2019, 03:13 PM)Bucho Wrote: We are ENTITLED to demand Schwartzblog.

At this point, I think it's fair to ask whether Schwartz's health will allow him to continue, whether he will die before publishing the final entry, and if he left detailed notes behind so that Brandon Sanderson can finish the project.

From what I understand, Schwartz does not want anybody to continue his work after his passing.
I heard he had a coffee shop meeting with MichaelM and Bailey though and gave them the bullet points.
THE INEVITABLY DISAPPOINTING CONCLUSION
Great take as usual man, it mirrors much of my own even if I was less enthused about the anticlimactic resolution to Dany's storyline. Surprise stabbing just offscreen is the tiredest play in the book.

My one personal request, though it's not my place to ask, is that you PLEASE don't take on the MCU next. So many great thoughtful bloggers have changed their blogs to turn a critical eye onto superhero films recently and I'm finding it a bit frustrating. They're massive projects and aren't really worth their time. Isn't there something else you'd like to write about?
Well, not really. TV feels like a bit of a wasteland at the moment.

I've also learned to be careful about what I decide to cover regularly. With LEGION and WESTWORLD I figured out that if I am not fully on board to begin with, covering each episode can push me into a more negative perspective on it.

Another idea that I've kicked around is some sort of DEADWOOD retrospective, but I would have to start it at the most awkward possible time, i.e. after the movie comes out and the thing is finally put to bed for good and all.
(05-21-2019, 04:47 PM)schwartz Wrote: THE INEVITABLY DISAPPOINTING CONCLUSION

This is the best thing I have ever read and I want to marry you.
(05-21-2019, 04:47 PM)schwartz Wrote: THE INEVITABLY DISAPPOINTING CONCLUSION

It's been a long journey for the Schwartzblog™ in regards to Game of Thrones. While I've [silently for the most part] enjoyed Schwartz's myriad efforts, it's really his Game of Thrones articles that I've found fascinating over the years.

**I would be remiss if I failed to remind everyone that Schwartz thought Thor: The Dark World was a better film than Wolf of Wall Street.

I've been going back over the old Schwartzblog articles, and they're a fun read.  Beginning around the end of season four, and throughout season five, Schwartz gets better at mixing images (often for humorous effect) into the articles, they became significantly more "meta-interpretive" rather than "plot-specific" in terms of content, and as the show itself grew longer Schwartz began to offer some pretty good season vis a vis season perspective.  I remember fondly thinking that the "subplot report card" he introduced back at the end of season six was a pretty clever way to comment on all the percolating storylines.

By season seven, the Schwartzblog entries on Game of Thrones had become more complex, more interesting to read, with increasingly profound insights.  Plot summarization gradually became more succinct and ever-more-decidely secondary to the analysis. Just compare this blog entry to one of the first iterations.  Meanwhile, Schwartz's linguistic skills show marked improvement and the use of visual aids became ever more adroit and amusing,

Writing, in any form, is as much about practice, dedication, and effort as it is about any sort of skill.

I think we can all agree that the blog entries in re: season eight have been uniformly fantastic.  And yes, myself and others have noted that Schwartz would often crib ideas from my own trouble.city posts, particular in regards to the surprising lack of Ice Spiders the Size of Hounds and the nonsensical idea that Bran ended up as King of the Se...Six Kingdoms.

On the whole the reasoning has been sharp and often uniquely insightful and the entries have been a fun read.  Blogs where the author merely scrivens nonsensical and unsupported premises often feel like they only exist as a means for the blogger to ruminate on their idiosyncratic notions. In contrast to that sort of blog, I always appreciated that Schwartz took the time to supports his positions, when appropriate, with concrete textual evidence. It makes the entire Schwartzblog™ Game of Thrones review "series" a more fulfilling and convincing read.

Schwartzblogs are all too rare. And now its watch has ended.  Until the sequel/prequel series(es), I suppose.

Kudos.

I am glad Schwartzblog is finally getting the scholarly attention it deserves can almost support.

In any case, yeah, I'm sure some of those early entries are pretty rough.  If nothing else, I've gotten better at dialing in on the aspects of a topic that I find interesting, and whatever to the rest of it.  Anyone reading a GOT entry knows the plot of the episode already, and their time is too valuable for me to just regurgitate at them.  I also figured out over time that a hyperlink is a great way to be able to be able to drop a reference casually and explain it to anyone who doesn't get it immediately without having to actually stop to explain it.  Embrace the medium!

And of course I steal from the boards.  How else would I look smart?
(05-26-2019, 06:55 PM)schwartz Wrote: I am glad Schwartzblog is finally getting the scholarly attention it deserves can almost support.

In any case, yeah, I'm sure some of those early entries are pretty rough.  If nothing else, I've gotten better at dialing in on the aspects of a topic that I find interesting, and whatever to the rest of it.  Anyone reading a GOT entry knows the plot of the episode already, and their time is too valuable for me to just regurgitate at them.  I also figured out over time that a hyperlink is a great way to be able to be able to drop a reference casually and explain it to anyone who doesn't get it immediately without having to actually stop to explain it.  Embrace the medium!

And of course I steal from the boards.  How else would I look smart?

Will you now go into the west and diminish?

I’m sure I can diminish just fine from where I’m sitting.
(05-21-2019, 05:37 PM)schwartz Wrote: Well, not really.  TV feels like a bit of a wasteland at the moment.  

I've also learned to be careful about what I decide to cover regularly.  With LEGION and WESTWORLD I figured out that if I am not fully on board to begin with, covering each episode can push me into a more negative perspective on it.  

Another idea that I've kicked around is some sort of DEADWOOD retrospective, but I would have to start it at the most awkward possible time, i.e. after the movie comes out and the thing is finally put to bed for good and all.

Word on the street is the swinging Saxon swords and bloody Danish axes of The Last Kingdom (91% on RT) are the televisual thrills to embrace now that Game of Thrones has been carried away in Drogon's claw. Our beloved Kevin Matchstick called S1 his #1 show of 2015. The formidable Farsight embraces it also. Andronicus and Scottie Ferguson are on board. The magnificent Bucho is already approaching Season 3 having only begun to watch the show a week ago.

In all likelihood it's not a show you'll feel begs an episode by episode blow by blow analysis but at the very least it would be quite marvelous to see you tackle the mighty Uhtred of Bebbanburg through your celebrated Mary Sue lens.
Also, isn't the WATCHMEN series coming out soon? If you've gotta do superheroes i'm sure that'll be more than worthy of your Schwartz-ian deep-dives.
WATCHMEN debuts sometime this fall.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
I watched the first season of THE LAST KINGDOM. It was pretty good, but kind of blurs together with the 2-3 seasons of VIKINGS I also didn't keep up with after a certain point.
I'd love to hear Schwartz's thoughts on the finale of The Big Bang Theory!

*runs from the room covered in rotten fruit*

But seriously, your stuff is always great.
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
It really is hard to find something that fits just right for continuing entries. For a show, it sort of has to be a drama, because just explaining jokes over and over is tedious, and it has to be doing something unusual enough to really catch my interest, but I also have to be totally into it, because I've found to varying degrees with TRUE DETECTIVE, WESTWORLD and LEGION that if I have significant misgivings with a show, cataloguing them repeatedly only exacerbates them. I'm beyond flattered that people found the GOT stuff interesting (and wish that more people were as into FARGO as I am), but I know I don't have enough fairy dust in me to make a weekly dissection of something I like but am not super invested in, like a BIG LITTLE LIES or SHAMELESS, interesting enough for anyone else to want to read.

In order for me to do my "best" work, it needs to be something that is enough of a known quantity that I know my appreciation for it can stand up to my relentlessly petting of the bunny, but doing something fresh enough to have something new to say each week. WATCHMEN may be a good fit, although depending on when it starts airing in the fall, I may be getting married right around the season finale, which is not the best scheduling.
I'd love to see recaps of FARGO and BETTER CALL SAUL, but if it takes two damn years between each season what's the point?

(also congrats on getting married!)
A Deadwood retrospective sounds fun. It sounds like revisiting a past show that you're pretty sure holds up might be the right move.
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
Congrats! Also, I think we all agree that rescheduling your wedding is the only solution.

I'd be up for a Deadwood retrospective partly because I'm actually about to start a rewatch myself.
Echoing the congrats, Schwartz.
Mazel tov!
I think these screen captures and giant (Dildi? Is there a plural?) are just the next step in the JJ Abrams online adventure series. Very slyly played, Bitches Leave.-Tom Fuchs
(05-29-2019, 10:20 AM)schwartz Wrote: I may be getting married right around the season finale, which is not the best scheduling.

I agree.  You don't want to schedule a marriage until much later in life, if ever.

Congrats on the impending nuptials!!!!!

If you haven't done so, I'd love to see you tackle something like BLACK SAILS or SPARTACUS.
(05-29-2019, 10:43 AM)Evi Wrote: I'd be up for a Deadwood retrospective partly because I'm actually about to start a rewatch myself.

Seconded.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(05-30-2019, 03:57 PM)MichaelM Wrote:
(05-29-2019, 10:43 AM)Evi Wrote: I'd be up for a Deadwood retrospective partly because I'm actually about to start a rewatch myself.

Seconded.

Thirded.
Whatever you do, I think "SchwartzBlog" should go out on a high note and be retired.

I recommend your new endeavor be called "BlogSchwartz."