Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whiteboy Jones does Days of Docs

http://daysofdocs.com/

I've been doing this for a few months now, but heck, here's a one-stop destination for updates. Every day, I watch a documentary I haven't seen before and review it. I love documentaries. Don't you?

Since I post every day, I'll only update this thread weekly, or if I do something special.

Anyway, if you're interested in browsing, here's what I think are the best posts I've made so far:

When We Were Kings

Word is Out: Stories of Some of Our Lives

The Philosopher Kings

The Red Chapel. The first time a filmmaker commented on my review, so I'm a bit proud of it.

2011 Documentaries in Review

The Parking Lot Movie

My Favorite "Normal" Movies of 2011

American Movie

My first review of a "normal" movie: Beauty and the Beast 3D. I like this one because I got feedback from Peggy Orenstein, a feminist author I'm a big fan of, for it. She liked it, therefore you must.

These Amazing Shadows

Not Quite Hollywood

An opinion post: Don't Call Me a Liberal

Darwin's Nightmare

This past week, I watched an Oscar-winning doc every day.

The Living Desert

The Panama Deception

Murder on a Sunday Morning

From Mao to Mozart

The True Glory

An Inconvenient Truth

Woodstock

Last week: fortune cookies, bigfoot, enigmatic tiles all over the world, motorcycle racing, DNA evidence exoneration, poor people in Southern California, and one fucked-up dude.

The Killing of a Chinese Cookie

Not Your Typical Bigfoot Movie

Resurrect Dead: The Mystery of the Toynbee Tiles

On Any Sunday

After Innocence

Bombay Beach

Stevie

This past week: Silvio Berlusconi and the Italian media, witchcraft through the ages, the bullshit viral sensation that's sweeping the nation, making movies for God, pets lost after Hurricane Katrina, sex ed, and molecular gastronomy.

Videocracy

Haxan

Kony 2012

Audience of One

Mine

The Education of Shelby Knox

El Bulli: Cooking in Progress

Last week: assisted suicide, Joan Rivers, Jimi Henrix's big American debut, living with ALS, the death of the EV-1, nuclear bombs, and the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.

How to Die in Oregon

Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work

Jimi Plays Monterey

So Much So Fast

Who Killed the Electric Car?

Countdown to Zero

The Big Fix

(Seriously, look up The Big Fix. Seek it out if you can. There's some maddening shit you don't know.)

Last week: a 3D dancing film, a journey through Burma, a tale of madness on the high seas, the rise and fall of Eliot Spitzer (duh), the Dixie Chicks are ashamed of George Bush, the real Devil wears Chanel, and a bunch of war dudes hang out in a bombed-out palace in between their whatup war times.

Pina

Deafening Silence

Deep Water

Client 9: The Rise and Fall of Eliot Spitzer

Shut Up and Sing

The September Issue

Gunner Palace

Hey I'm your friend and all, so I'm not pimping you or anything.

But I'm pimping you.

There's some great stuff in here Whiteboy, keep at it.

...and that avatar is fucking heart meltingly adorable - never change it.

You're a good pimp, Lauren. You treat me right, and don't let none of them johns hurt me too bad.

Glasses dog has served me well over the years, through many forums. I once tried putting glasses on my actual dog, but she tried to bite me for it.

This past week: a tone poem tribute to Planet Earth, Otis Redding at the Monterey Pop Festival, a Buddhist monk searches for his master's reincarnation, Kirby Dick blows the closet off of gay Republicans who vote against gay rights, governments don't like graffiti, an execution technician doesn't think The Holocaust happened, and Liberian women will withhold sex until you get your shit together.

Baraka

Shake! Otis at Monterey

Unmistaken Child

Outrage

Bomb It

Mr. Death: The Rise and Fall of Fred A. Leuchter, Jr.

Pray the Devil Back to Hell

Last week: a movie about film critics and film criticism, some missionaries don't do their job very well, people who win the lottery, dancers auditioning to be on Broadway, Chinese peasants struggling to adapt in a changing world, American teenagers suck, and the Rolling Stones concert that went horribly wrong.

For the Love of Movies: The Story of American Film Criticism

Beyond the Gates of Splendor

Lucky

Every Little Step

Up the Yangtze

American Teen

Gimme Shelter

Last week: junk sculptures, animal fucking, Chris Marker's vacation videos, a New York City travel guide, children learn about the holocaust, the real Mad Men, and some douche who makes clothes.

Junkopia

Zoo

Sans Soleil

The Cruise

Paper Clips

Art & Copy

Valentino: The Last Emperor

Last week: the Tour de France (it sucks to ride), American healthcare (it sucks), those loony Beale women (their life sucks, but they don't mind), a woman who married the man who threw acid in her face (love sucks), Lord of the Rings fans (the movie sucks), what it's like to be a teacher in America (the pay sucks), and Fox News (it sucks, but you already knew that).

Hell on Wheels

Sicko

The Beales of Grey Gardens

Crazy Love

Ringers: Lord of the Fans

American Teacher

Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism

Last week: marines got screwed, Hello, My Name is Yasser, I learn who Harry Nilsson is, and why everybody is talkin' about him, a nice old Jewish couple own a priceless collection of art, a bunch of navy guys and island people got screwed, Bill Maher is himself, and a French guy teaches things.

Semper Fi: Always Faithful

The Price of Kings: Yasser Arafat

Who is Harry Nilsson... (And Why is Everybody Talkin' About Him?)

Herb & Dorothy

Radio Bikini

Religulous

To Be and to Have

Last week: a scary clan of hicks, wannabe child stars, fucked-up politics, female stunt performers, Comic-Con, Bob Marley, and what you dirty foreigners think of the greatest nation ever.

The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia

The Hollywood Complex

Electile Dysfunction

Double Dare

Comic-Con Episode IV: A Fan's Hope

Marley

The Listening Project

Oh lawd, how long has it been since I updated? Eep.

Okay: a Native American examines portrayals of his people on film, drag queens congregate for peak fabulosity (and I just learned that fabulosity is a word), a sad family is sad, Guy Maddin is weird, the natural world is crazy, and the Ivory-Billed Woodpecker is probably extinct. Then it's on to LGBT Week, as I look at the friction between Christianity and homosexuality, ex-gay conversion methods, the making of a seminal (be mature) gay film, a transgender woman coming home, bisexuality in insufferable youth, and what it was like before and after the Stonewall riots. Oh, and then some stuff about a housing development that failed. Whew.

Reel Injun

Wigstock: The Movie

October Country

My Winnipeg

Microcosmos

Ghost Bird

For the Bible Tells Me So

One Nation Under God

Making the Boys

Prodigal Sons

Bi the Way

Before Stonewall

After Stonewall

The Pruitt-Igoe Myth

Last week: credit card debt, a crazy Japanese man (but I repeat myself), Bob Dylan being himself, "intelligent" design, meat lovers go vegan, Henry Kissinger is evil, and old people greet troops coming home at the airport.

Maxed Out

The Invention of Dr. Nakamats

Dont Look Back

Flock of Dodos

Vegucated

The Trials of Henry Kissinger

The Way We Get By

Last week: skateboarders are aimless, Tiffany stalkers are weird, teachers are heroic, Afghans are singing, protestors are being called terrorists, and critics are big fat doo-doo meanie faces.

Dragonslayer

I Think We're Alone Now

Whatever It Takes

Afghan Star

Better This World

Heckler

Last week: Mardi Gras, zen cooking, science fiction boys, Elvis impersonators, Catholic anti-semitism, Charles Nelson Reilly, and Robert Boyle, Haskell Wexler, Conrad Hall, Henry Bumstead, Albert Nozaki, and Harold Michelson.

The Order of Myths

How to Cook Your Life

The Sci-Fi Boys

Almost Elvis

Constantine's Sword

The Life of Reilly

Something's Gonna Live

Oy, it's been a while. There was a break for Silverdocs, but I'm still at it!

So, since the last update, I've been to Abu Ghraib, the 30th century, San Francisco during the AIDS epidemic, the company of the Kuchar brothers, the gathering of the juggalos, the world of sperm donation and one guy's giant-ass "family," the charcoal-making migrant lives of Brazilians, the homes of various rappers, a sex surrogate's sessions, the backrooms of the TSA, the dark underbelly of the military, a lonely mountain, competitive preschools, the life of a man who made a living pranking the media, and the training offices of Indian call centers. Whew!

The Prisoner or: How I Planned to Kill Tony Blair

Scott Walker: 30th Century Man

We Were Here

It Came from Kuchar

American Juggalo

Donor Unknown

The Charcoal People

Something from Nothing: The Art of Rap

Private Practices

Please Remove Your Shoes

The Invisible War

Touching the Void

Nursery University

Abel Raises Cain

Office Tigers

Aw, shit.

Okay: sixties radicals, Banksy (not really), Alan Moore be cray and I love him for it, American grindhouse movies, sad people who play D&D, Zenedine Zidane, the boring history of Monopoly, card-counting Christians, two Italian guys who got fucked for being Italian, nuclear bombs are scary, a movie about indie games, male grooming, kart racing, and Irish bare-knuckle boxing.

The Weather Underground

Banksy's Coming to Dinner

The Mindscape of Alan Moore

American Grindhouse

The Dungeon Masters

Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait

Under the Boardwalk: The Monopoly Story

Holy Rollers

Sacco and Vanzetti

If You Love This Planet

Indie Game: The Movie

Mansome

Racing Dreams

Knuckle

Oh bumnuggets, it's been a month.

Okay. *deep breath*

A crippled man writes poetry, stupid people keep dangerous animals as pets, curious people had lots of sex in the 70's, some guys play air guitar, some douchebags try to scare people to God, a woman sends a message from Red Hook, people fight wars over beer, comedians muse about their craft, the Yes Men don't fix the world, but still try, Russians filmed everything by way of experimentation, Terry Gilliam tried and failed to make a Don Quixote movie, people love pinball, some fans searched for a mysterious musician, a guy became a fake guru, some people REALLY love sports, a transsexual wanted to play tennis, Oliver North wanted to become a senator, a Holocaust survivor translates Russian novels, burn victims move on with their lives, sanitation workers dance, kids go to a school for the arts, a girl looks for her birth mother, French chefs make amazing pastries, Grant Morrison talks to gods, people like fixed-gear bicycles, and Werner Herzog looks at the death penalty.

Breathing Lessons

The Elephant in the Living Room

American Swing

Air Guitar Nation

Hell House

Message from Red Hook

Beer Wars

I Am Comic

The Yes Men Fix the World

Man with a Movie Camera

Lost in La Mancha

Special When Lit

Searching for Sugar Man

Kumaré

Team Spirit

Renée

A Perfect Candidate

The Woman with the 5 Elephants

Trial by Fire

Trash Dance

Fame High

Off and Running

Kings of Pastry

Death by China

Grant Morrison: Talking with Gods

Fixation

Into the Abyss

Last two weeks: 14 children, seven movies every seven years for 42 years, extra work isn't as fun as Ricky Gervais made it out to be, comfort food in New York, arcade games, Stan Lee, dad might be in Heaven, although Nixon probably isn't, the making of The Emperor's New Groove, sports agents, the making of a grand piano, and why meat is bad for us.

The Up Series

Strictly Background

I Like Killing Flies

Chasing Ghosts

With Great Power: The Stan Lee Story

Dad's in Heaven with Nixon

The Sweatbox

The Dotted Line

Note by Note: The Making of Steinway L1037

Forks Over Knives

I haven't commented on your site, but wanted to say that I'm really enjoying these. Keep up the good work.

Last week: Christianity's image problem, the life and times of Bill Hicks, the nature of inspiration, kids doing magic, ex-gay conversion therapy, and a woman who's stronger than you.

Lord Save Us from Your Followers

American: The Bill Hicks Story

From Nothing, Something

Make Believe

This is What Love in Action Looks Like

Strong!