Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beards! Capes! Flutes! It's the PROGRESSIVE ROCK Thread!
(09-10-2019, 11:07 AM)Paul C Wrote: It has literally one good song on it (Onward). If I'm being honest I don't much care for Going For The One either.

Drama is cool though (and has a wonderful album cover). I tend to see that one as the last hurrah for classic Yes, even if Anderson isn't on it.

DRAMA effing rocks.  'Machine Messiah' and 'Tempus Fugit' are right up there with their absolute best tracks, regardless of the incarnation of Yes that you favor.  I wish we'd gotten another album or two out of this particular lineup because the focus and drive of that album is extremely appealing.

If I'm on a Yes kick, I typically skip over GOING FOR THE ONE and TORMATO, going straight from RELAYER (an underrated album) to DRAMA.  I tend to skip over TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS as well, to be honest.  I admire the ambition of that album but it really sinks under its own weight.
Have you heard Fly From Here? A sort of belated Drama 2, including some stuff originally intended for a follow up album back in the day. Not world changing or anything, but held my attention better than most late period Yes I've tried.

I went through a Yes phase myself some months back. I checked out the Steven Wilson remixes box set on Spotify, which covers most of their 70's stuff (to be honest I struggled to spot any difference to the old mixes at all). I have quite a bit of time for Relayer, mostly thanks to Gates Of Delirium. That one might be closest to Drama in that it's a bit harder edged than usual.

Topographic Oceans has lots of great music on it, it's just... spread thin. One day I'm going to create a single album edit of that. It would most likely have one slightly shortened epic on it (Revealing Science Of God), with the rest whittled down to four or five regularly sized songs.
(09-10-2019, 11:43 AM)Paul C Wrote: Topographic Oceans has lots of great music on it, it's just... spread thin. One day I'm going to create a single album edit of that. It would most likely have one slightly shortened epic on it (Revealing Science Of God), with the rest whittled down to four or five regularly sized songs.

Yeah, I agree that editing some of those songs down to the strongest elements (separate the wheat from the chaff) would have merit.

I don't listen to Yes much anymore.  In the late 80s, I was heavily, heavily into them and memorized their output.  I throw them on occasionally when the urge hits me but I've kinda reduced my listening down to about 10 tracks.
Man, I love TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS. I have to be in the mood for it - like heading out on a road trip or something - so I can digest it all in one sitting. Definitely their most indulgent album, but its an experience.

TORMATO and GOING FOR THE ONE both have their moments (Arriving UFO is good!), but I think they are unquestionably mid-tier Yes. I'd put DRAMA up with CLOSE TO THE EDGE and FRAGILE in that upper tier, despite the lack of Anderson.
(09-10-2019, 11:58 AM)fuzzy dunlop Wrote: I'd put DRAMA up with CLOSE TO THE EDGE and FRAGILE in that upper tier, despite the lack of Anderson.

Agreed 100%.  I kinda get the sense that How and Squire both finally got to make a more propulsive, 'metal' album with DRAMA since they were the only two original members left at that point.  The focus on that album is astounding, and both Howe and Squire sound unleashed.

And holy shit, listen to this live concert from the DRAMA tour...this is a band on fire.

I checked out Fly From Here back when it came out, and a fair bit of the material was good (the last track particularly,) but I just couldn't get past A. the shittiness of hiring a Jon Anderson imitator to replace him (Drama proved that the band could work without him, but at least Trevor Horn was doing his own thing) and B. the fact that (unlike Horn) he wasn't nearly good enough to fill those shoes. Haven't checked out anything with the new new kid though.

Going For The One is a bit of a mixed bag, but "Parallels" and "Awaken" absolutely make it worthwhile. Tormato not so much - there's just a whole lot that never properly gels, and most of the good bits are echoed in later, better works.

I'd definitely like to hear a single-album edit of Tales someday, but I can't think where you'd actually cut - the good stuff is spread thin, but evenly enough that it's hard to point to this or that section and go "cut that mother."
Did you know they rereleased Fly From Here with Horn on vocals? Just on a sound level I don't know it's much of an improvement because instead of an anonymous but basically competent tribute band guy you instead have a heavily autotuned sixty-something, but I guess it adds another level of curiosity value.

Curiosity value is what's sorely lacking from the new album they did after that with yet another new lineup, which I couldn't be bothered to sit through. There's a limit to how much watered down late-period Yes I need in my life.

It is kind of hilarious that they replaced Jon Anderson with a guy called Jon Davison though, like parents trying to replace the goldfish that died and hoping the kids don't notice. Maybe Genesis should search Facebook for a guy called Gabriel Peters and make him their new singer.

In non-Yes prog talk, I really got into the Camel album Mirage recently. I sent this track to a bass player friend because of the cool riff at the end, and his response was "you have to respect a song that has three introductions":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBWGjT-XV6g
I don't think I could take an album named TORMATO seriously.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(09-11-2019, 05:00 AM)Paul C Wrote: Did you know they rereleased Fly From Here with Horn on vocals? Just on a sound level I don't know it's much of an improvement because instead of an anonymous but basically competent tribute band guy you instead have a heavily autotuned sixty-something, but I guess it adds another level of curiosity value.
...Huh.

I came across this late last night and was just spellbound the entire time. Ian Anderson is a musical treasure.

Edit: Why the hell aren't JT in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame yet? I mean after RUSH and YES finally made it in I'd say it's time for them as well.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.