Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
The Racism & Social Injustice Catch-All
BuzzFeed spoke to two black Capitol Police officers who described the siege in which they were forced to endure racist abuse:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/emm...gc#4ldqpgc

Quote:“That was a heavily trained group of militia terrorists that attacked us,” said the officer, who has been with the department for more than a decade. “They had radios, we found them, they had two-way communicators and earpieces. They had bear spray. They had flash bangs ... They were prepared. They strategically put two IEDs, pipe bombs in two different locations. These guys were military trained. A lot of them were former military,” the veteran said, referring to two suspected pipe bombs that were found outside the headquarters of the Democratic National Committee and the Republican National Committee.

The officer even described coming face to face with police officers from across the country in the mob. He said some of them flashed the badges, telling him to let them through, and trying to explain that this was all part of a movement that was supposed to help.

“You have the nerve to be holding a blue lives matter flag, and you are out there fucking us up,” he told one group of protestors he encountered inside the Capitol. “[One guy] pulled out his badge and he said, ‘we’re doing this for you.’ Another guy had his badge. So I was like, ‘well, you gotta be kidding.’”

Another officer, a newer recruit, echoed these sentiments, saying that where he was on the steps to the rotunda on the east side of the Capitol, he was engaged in hand-to-hand battles trying to fight the attackers off. But he said they were outnumbered 10 to one, and described extraordinary scenes in which protesters holding Blue Lives Matter flags launched themselves at police officers.

“We were telling them to back up and get away and stop, and they’re telling us, they are on our side, and they’re doing this for us, and they’re saying this as I’m getting punched in my face by one of them … That happened to a lot of us. We were getting pepper sprayed in the face by those protesters, I'm not going to even call them protestors, by those domestic terrorists,” said the officer.

While it was a hard day for almost every officer at the Capitol, Black officers were in a particularly difficult position, he said, and he drew a stark contrast with how police handled the Black Lives Matter protests this summer.

“There’s quite a big difference when the Black Lives Matter protests come up to the capitol,” he said. “[On Wednesday], some officers were catering to the rioters.”

He said that what upset him the most was when he later saw images of a white colleague taking a selfie with the attackers, seeming to enjoy his time with the insurrectionists who were roaming the US Capitol with confederate flags and other symbols of white supremacy.

“That one hurt me the most because I was on the other side of the Capitol getting my ass kicked,” he said.

He is certain that if a group of Black Americans had stormed the Capitol they wouldn’t have gotten that kind of friendly reception from his white colleagues.

“If you’re going to treat a group of demonstrators for Black Lives Matters one way, then you should treat this group the same god damn way. With this group you were being kind and nice and letting them walk back out. Some of them got arrested but a lot of them didn’t. Everyone who came into that Capitol should have been arrested regardless if they didn’t take anything.”

At the end of the night, after the crowds had been dispersed and Congress got back to the business of certifying president-elect Joe Biden’s victory, the veteran officer was overwhelmed with emotion, and broke down in the rotunda.

“I sat down with one of my buddies, another Black guy, and tears just started streaming down my face,” he said. “I said, ‘what the fuck, man? Is this America? What the fuck just happened? I’m so sick and tired of this shit.’”

Soon he was screaming, so that everyone in the rotunda, including his white colleagues, could hear what he had just gone through.

“These are racist ass terrorists,” he yelled out.
A black Capitol officer had to fact-check a Trump supporter on race in America, as if the job that day wasn't difficult enough.

The video can be found at the link.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/black-cop-...every-day/

Quote:He then pivots to asking Coley “What kind of a life do you think your family, your children, your grandchildren are going to have in this country if these people do what they want to do?”

“You know when I grew up in the 1960s, I was 7 years old, during the riots in South Plainfield,” he continued, referencing unrest in New Jersey that was sparked by police killings.

“In the 60s my people were dying everyday. Okay?” Coley replied.

“And that changed, there was no racism in the United States, there was no racism, there was none. And now they’ve recreated racism. They’ve recreated it now,” the Trump fan said.

Coley can be heard telling the man “my forefathers, you hung them as strange fruit,” a reference to lynchings.

“What do you think it’s going to do to race relations when they make me pay you for reparations?” the man asked. “What do you think that’s going to do for race relations, officer? Do you think it’s going to help? You think it’s going to make white people like Black people? That’s what they want to do. That’s what they want to do, they’re screwing you.”
https://twitter.com/MrCistoolong/status/...1276602370

Quote:Kyle Rittenhouse is not only out on bail, but is hanging out with his mom drinking in Racine, WI. The "free as fuck" shirt is a nice touch to the fuck you that is our judicial system. This country may just be broken beyond repair.

[Image: ErPbNFVW4AA3FIb?format=jpg&name=900x900]
I wonder what the consequences will be here:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/...5110004737

Quote:DETROIT (AP) -- The AP has learned ex-Michigan Gov. Snyder and others have been told they're being charged in Flint water scandal.
If Snyder has two brain cells to rub together, he'll be furiously tweeting praises of Trump for the next week, hoping to snag a last minute pardon. If it could work for Blagojevich, it can work for literally anyone.
(01-12-2021, 05:49 PM)schwartz Wrote: If Snyder has two brain cells to rub together, he'll be furiously tweeting praises of Trump for the next week, hoping to snag a last minute pardon.  If it could work for Blagojevich, it can work for literally anyone.

Heck, even Bill Cosby's lawyer was trying for a while.
Well, according to Capitol Police, some of the insurrectionists were police officers throughout the country:

https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/13...1806126080

Quote:Military leadership has been telegraphing their refusal to participate in a coup since the summer. Meanwhile almost a week since an insurrectionary mob killed a police officer and injured dozens, it’s no exaggeration to say we’ve seen police unions angrier about milkshakes.
Quelle surprise. I am very shock.
Cops in online message boards are blaming "antifa" for the Trump insurrection.

A lot more batshittery at the link:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/police-ca...42b6ffeb0c

Quote:Inside cops-only message boards and other pro-law enforcement media groups online, police officers are grappling with how a group that usually proclaims “Blue Lives Matter” could turn its wrath on them. Instead of facing the uncomfortable implications of the siege, many are pushing the debunked conspiracy theory that the chaos was orchestrated by anti-fascist activists who disguised themselves in a scheme to make the president and his base look bad. 

Other conversations are clear-eyed about who was responsible for the riot — and more sympathetic. “Just heard a report shots fired inside the Capital!! Like the ghetto hopefully the right people get shot!!! ?” wrote one user on Thee Rant, a web forum popular among far-right current and former members of the New York Police Department. 

The online ecosystem for law enforcement officers is shot through with right-wing politics and wild conspiracy theories. While not necessarily representative of mainstream beliefs among the nation’s police, there are already emerging signs that the toxic politics of online spaces like Thee Rant can spill over into real-life action.

At least 13 law enforcement personnel from eight states reportedly attended the riot and are under investigation for their alleged roles in the unrest — including a police chief and an officer wearing a hat with the text, “Trump 2020; Fuck your Feelings.” Many former cops joined the mob, too; a retired Oakland officer who rioted told local media that the insurrectionists would accept the legal consequences of their actions if “the Democrats who committed fraud take the criminal charges of treason.” A former North Miami Beach officer even livestreamed from inside the Capitol, telling his viewers, “The people give the power. And we’re here to take it back.”

Police officers’ apparent involvement in last week’s deadly and unlawful insurrection makes clear just how effective the president’s onslaught of disinformation has been at radicalizing people — even members of law enforcement — to try to keep him in power by any means necessary. Some elements of the nation’s police have closely aligned with Trump and embraced anti-democratic conspiracy theories over the rule of law, and to anyone monitoring these online groups, that’s been clear for a long time. 
At some point, you just have to respect Antifa's tireless commitment, competency, and follow-through when it comes to pulling off false flag infiltration after false flag infiltration after false flag infiltration. Maybe we should put them in charge of vaccine distribution.
Let's not make Tom Cotton happy.  Much more at the link:

https://theintercept.com/2021/01/12/capi...-blm-laws/

Quote:“The concern is that the attack on the Capitol will be used to push the kind of legislation we’ve already seen, especially in response to this summer’s racial justice protests,” Page said.

Amid nationwide actions against police brutality this past summer, a number of states introduced new legislation expanding penalties for rioting, unlawful assembly, or civil unrest. In Ohio, New York, and Michigan such bills were defeated — as was federal legislation that would have allowed the U.S. attorney general to withhold federal funding from local officials if they were deemed to have failed to take sufficient measures to deter or prosecute riot-related activity.
https://twitter.com/DavidBegnaud/status/...9901465600

Quote:NEWS: Federal authorities have charged 2 police officers from the Rocky Mount Virginia Police Department, according to the dept, which says the officers have been charged with misdemeanors stemming from their presence at the Capitol attack. The officers are on leave from the dept

[Image: ErowGkPVEAEeaoK?format=jpg&name=small]
Here's a revealing leak of Oath Keeper communications from November (I think I linked to an article before, but very relevant right now).

In it, members share tips on recruiting law enforcement, while talking about "executing lefties openly and violently" and "killing the news media live on air."

https://unicornriot.ninja/2020/its-time-...-violence/
(01-13-2021, 06:02 PM)Iron Maiden Wrote: https://twitter.com/DavidBegnaud/status/...9901465600

Quote:NEWS: Federal authorities have charged 2 police officers from the Rocky Mount Virginia Police Department, according to the dept, which says the officers have been charged with misdemeanors stemming from their presence at the Capitol attack. The officers are on leave from the dept

I'm not sure which one is which in the photo above, but Fracker and Robertson both have shit for brains:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-dc/pr/two-d...us-capitol

Quote:On social media, Robertson is quoted as saying, “CNN and the Left are just mad because we actually attacked the government who is the problem and not some random small business ... The right IN ONE DAY took the f***** U.S. Capitol. Keep poking us.” He also stated that he was “proud” of the photo on an Instagram post that was shared to Facebook, because he was “willing to put skin in the game.” On Facebook, Fracker posted a comment that read, “Lol to anyone who’s possibly concerned about the picture of me going around... Sorry I hate freedom? …Not like I did anything illegal…y’all do what you feel you need to.” The post has since been deleted.
Speaking of officers in trouble and definitely posting things to social media that helped that process along:

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local...tent=kprc2

Quote:Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo said during remarks Wednesday that a Houston police officer on his own time attended the Trump rally in Washington and then “penetrated” the U.S. Capitol building last week.

There is an investigation underway and Acevedo said he is “highly confident” he will be facing federal charges. He is now on administrative leave, Acevedo said.

“There is no excuse for criminal activity, especially from a police officer,” Acevedo said. “I can’t tell you the anger I feel at the thought of a police officer and other police officers thinking they get to go storm the Capitol or members of the military or the Secret Service. And so our commitment here in the Houston area is always to the rule of law. And it saddens me to report that we have that one officer. And I want to announce it here because it’s the facts. And I’m trying to relax on a Sunday night, I got my email with me and a member of this community sent me a picture showing the officer doing anything, with a Trump flag, face covered and the first thing I did, I went to that person’s Facebook confirmed it was one of our officers that was there. Keep in mind, everyone has a First Amendment right to engage in First Amendment activity but I first wanted to make sure that they didn’t pass beyond that and do something unlawful and I can tell you that there’s a high probability that this individual will be charged with federal charges and rightfully so.”

Sources tell KPRC the officer is Tam Dinh Pham. A KPRC 2 source says he was relieved of duty this morning.
Guess who's hanging out with the Proud Boys and flashing "white power" symbols?

https://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/kyl...easant-bar

Quote:Kenosha County prosecutors are attempting to modify Kyle Rittenhouse's bond agreement after they say the 18-year-old flashed white-power signs while posing for photos, drank several beers and was 'loudly serenaded' with the Proud Boys' official song at a Mount Pleasant bar.

Rittenhouse, who is charged with shooting and killing two people and injuring a third during protests and unrest in Kenosha last summer, was released from Kenosha County Jail on a $2 million bond. That bond agreement, in its current state, does not restrict Rittenhouse from entering a bar or drinking alcohol - as those underage are allowed to do in the company of parents in Wisconsin - nor does it stop him from fraternizing with known members of white supremacist groups.

In a motion to modify Rittenhouse's bond Wednesday, the Kenosha County District Attorney's Office details Rittenhouse's Jan. 5 visit to Pudgy’s Pub with his mother. Rittenhouse stopped at the Mount Pleasant tavern shortly after pleading not guilty to homicide charges in connection to the Kenosha shooting. Rittenhouse's attorneys argue he fired his rifle in self-defense.
A sweeping police reform bill known as HB 3653, which includes ending cash bail, expanding use of force training, and maintaining police conduct records, passed the Illinois General Assembly Wednesday and now goes to Gov. JB Pritzker to sign:

https://abc7chicago.com/9632914/?ex_cid=...ce=twitter

Quote:Originally House Bill 163 and now House Bill 3653, the law was written by the Illinois Legislative Black Caucus, and includes among other things ending cash bail for non-violent offenders state-wide, requiring all police officers in the state to wear body cameras, expanding use of force guidelines and training for police, prohibiting chokeholds, and requires the maintenance of misconduct records and the use of special prosecutors in officer-involved deaths.

The new bill was amended with proposals from Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul: including creating uniformity for officers and departments across the state, creating an easier and more uniform system of police certification and de-certification, and giving the Illinois Attorney General's Office authority under state law to investigate and resolve patterns or practices of unconstitutional policing.

"These certification reforms are the result of collaboration between my office, law enforcement, advocates and the sponsors," Raoul said on a statement after the bill passed. "I applaud the tireless effort of the Illinois Legislative Black Caucus to address criminal justice reform in Illinois in a comprehensive manner."

Cook County State's Attorney Kim Foxx also applauded the bill's passage, saying, "Eliminating cash bail ends the practice of detaining non-violent offenders simply because they are poor while also preventing violent offenders from being released because they can afford bail. Additionally, this legislation implements increased standards of police accountability and helps to rebuild public trust in the system. I'm grateful for the legislators, advocates and community members who went from 'protest to progress.' There's still work to do, but this is a step in the right direction."

The Illinois Law Enforcement Coalition, a new group comprised of the Illinois Fraternal Order of Police State Lodge, Fraternal Order of Police Labor Council, Chicago Fraternal Order of Police, Illinois Sheriffs' Association and Illinois Association of Chiefs of Police, decried the legislation, saying it had been "rammed through the General Assembly" in "the dark of night."

"We had been working in good faith with the Attorney General on a bill that would make great strides to modernize law enforcement, but that legislation was dumped into this monster bill and the result is a betrayal of the public trust that gives many more advantages to criminals than the police. It ties the hands of police officers while pursuing suspects and making arrests, and allows criminals to run free while out on bail," the group said in a statement.
(01-13-2021, 06:02 PM)Iron Maiden Wrote: https://twitter.com/DavidBegnaud/status/...9901465600

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1...4680108033

Quote:Judge cites their military and police service in denying government’s request for GPS monitoring, saying he believes they will follow his orders.
Well, that's a quote and a half:

https://www.businessinsider.com/capitol-...sts-2021-1

[Image: ErnrdumXIAAkhkJ?format=png&name=900x900]
Chicago Police are investigating if any of their employees were involved in storming the Capitol last week:

https://abc7chicago.com/9619882/?ex_cid=...ce=twitter

Quote:The Chicago Police Department is investigating whether any of its staff participated in last week's attack on the U.S. Capitol, the department announced Monday.

In a statement, the department said it has no evidence any officers or staff participated in Wednesday's assault. However, the department is investigating whether any officers violated policies or engaged in criminal activity related to the attack that left five dead, including a Capitol police officer.

The police department's investigation comes as the head of Chicago's largest police union, the Fraternal Order of Police, has come under fire for downplaying the actions of the mob at the Capitol. FOP president John Catanzara, a Trump supporter, has apologized for sympathizing with and defending the mob.
(01-14-2021, 06:53 AM)Iron Maiden Wrote:

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1...4680108033

Quote:Judge cites their military and police service in denying government’s request for GPS monitoring, saying he believes they will follow his orders.

Added the judge: "Now, what were these charges for again?"
“Giving prosecutors more authority & leverage to punish those who are despised—white racist fascists, for example—will inevitably result in more poor nonwhite people being prosecuted.”

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2021/...e-of-color

Quote:Ever since the violent siege on the Capitol last week, national security experts and others appalled by what happened have called for new laws and policies to punish those involved. An association of more than 14,000 current and former FBI agents, for instance, is urging Congress to make domestic terrorism a separate federal crime so it can be easier to prosecute.

The impulse makes sense. The insurrectionists killed a police officer, erected a gallows and carried the Confederate flag, a symbol of treason, through the hallowed halls of U.S. democracy. And charges filed so far have not been very severe, though federal officials have said they expect harsher ones soon.

But some civil-liberties advocates have expressed concern that any new measures enacted in response to the Capitol riot will end up punishing Black and brown people more than the mostly White people who took part, just as laws passed after the Oklahoma City bombing and the Columbine massacre did.

"Giving prosecutors more authority and leverage to punish those who are despised—right now, that’s White racist fascists—will inevitably result in more poor nonwhite people being prosecuted,” said Scott Hechinger, founder and director of Zealous, a national advocacy organization of public defenders.

Even hate crime legislation, specifically intended to help prosecute crimes motivated by white supremacy and other forms of bigotry, can have a disparate negative impact on minority groups. In 2019, for example, Black people made up roughly 13 percent of the U.S. population yet were accused by law enforcement of nearly 24 percent of hate crimes, according to Justice Department statistics. White people, conversely, were 60 percent of the population yet faced fewer than 53 percent of hate crime accusations.
Kudos to Vice for piecing together the best headline/lede of this whole insurrection thing: "The Guy Who Flew a Confederate Flag in the Capitol Has Predictably Surrendered."

https://www.vice.com/en/article/bvx5a8/t...urrendered

Quote:The man who brought a confederate flag into the Capitol during the insurrection last week has, predictably, surrendered.

Kevin Seefried has been identified as the middle-aged goateed man who was photographed carrying a huge and historically racist confederate flag as he marched uninvited around the halls of Congress on Jan. 6. He surrendered to authorities in Wilmington, Delaware, on Thursday, along with his son, Hunter Seefried, according to the Department of Justice.

The Seefrieds were arrested after Hunter Seefried allegedly boasted about being part of the riots to a coworker, according to court documents. The unidentified co-worker then told the FBI about the younger Seefried’s involvement.

The two men confessed their riot attendance to FBI investigators, according to the court documents. Kevin told authorities that he normally flies the confederate flag in front of his Delaware home.

Both Kevin and Hunter Seefried have been charged with knowingly entering or remaining in any restricted building or grounds without lawful authority, violent entry and disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds, and depredation of government property. 
"Openly Black."

Maybe Mediaite should do a better job at finding columnists:

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/don-lemons-r...americans/

Quote:Lemon — who is openly Black — responded by telling Cuomo that “if you are on that side you need to think about the side you’re on. I’m never on the side of the Klan. I am never — principled people, conservative or liberal never on the Klan side, principled people, conservative or liberal, never on the Nazi side.”
Video at the link of Rep. Boebert's mom:

https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/13...2101741575

Quote:Lauren Boebert’s mom on the left and her friend. Racists. Dumb racists. This is amazing.

The apple doesn’t fall far...
The parents of an autistic teenager are suing authorities in Louisiana over their son's death. The boy, 16, died after deputies sat on him for nine minutes without ensuring he could breathe, according to the lawsuit.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/15/us/er...ytnational
Greenwald has really gone off the rails:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NikkiMcR/stat...4881061888

107 of the 147 Republicans who voted to overturn the election results — and disenfranchise Black voters — put out statements praising MLK today. 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/republica...bf9937?qqf
Video at the link:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ScottHech/sta...9211274241

Yup:

https://twitter.com/elizaorlins/status/1...8663865348

Quote:Riley June Williams is accused of stealing Pelosi's laptop in the US Capitol attack to sell to Russia and was released from custody.

As a public defender, I represented a man held in on bail for stealing cough syrup and toothpaste from Duane Reade. 

Two. Systems. Of. Justice.
https://mobile.twitter.com/JoeCunningham...4523651076

Rap lyrics are now admissible as court evidence:

https://variety.com/2021/music/opinion/r...234878315/

Quote:In a judicial opinion filed last month, The State of Maryland’s highest court ruled that rap lyrics may be admitted in court as evidence of a defendant’s guilt. This blatantly racist decision is a travesty that sets a dangerous precedent.

The case involves the January 2017 killing of George Forrester, who was shot by a drug dealer after he attempted to buy cocaine with a counterfeit bill. Based on a single witness’s identification, Lawrence Montague was indicted for Forrester’s murder. Three weeks before trial, Montague used a jailhouse telephone to record a rap verse, which was then uploaded to Instagram. At Montague’s trial, the State of Maryland introduced the telephone recording of the lyrics as evidence of Montague’s guilt, and Montague was convicted and sentenced to a combined fifty years for second-degree murder and use of a firearm in a crime of violence.

Maryland’s highest court took the case on appeal and affirmed Montague’s conviction, finding that the danger of unfair prejudice posed by the admission of the lyrics does not substantially outweigh the lyrics’ probative value. In making this determination, the Court wildly understates the unfair prejudice posed by the use of this type of evidence. As the dissenting opinion by Judge Shirley Marie Watts notes, the decision here “does little more than portray a defendant to be a person with base violent tendencies who is capable of indiscriminate violent criminal acts.”

In this culturally problematic ruling, the Court fundamentally misunderstands the history, purpose, and importance of hip-hop music. In the 1970s, hip-hop emerged in the South Bronx as a response to the combined effects of poverty, unemployment, gang violence, and isolation from mainstream America. Early pioneers developed the genre, in part, to end gang violence — rap was an outlet that transformed the competitiveness and territoriality of gang life into something artistic and productive.

Ignorant of this perspective, the Court’s opinion hastily draws conclusions from Montague’s lyrics, making up connections between the lyrics and the crime that are simply not there. The Court uses this poorly substantiated analysis toward its finding that the lyrics had an “unmistakable factual connection” to the crime. It attempts to put all rap lyrics into the categories of historical fact and fiction, failing to understand that hip-hop, like most art, is more complex than that. Drawing on African-American storytelling traditions, rap often utilizes violent rhetoric as a form of intellectual competition and a vehicle for change, though such lyrics are not to be taken literally.

The chilling effects of this ruling on the creativity of all rap and hip-hop artists is gravely concerning. Great music is more often than not rooted in storytelling, and by imposing criminal consequences for a story told through an artistic medium, the court here threatens to stifle creativity and limit the scope of artistic expression.
I guess Springsteen's going to jail for singing about Johnny 99 shooting a guy.
Just this guy, you know?
Look for the precedent to be overturned when it involves a white guy and country lyrics.
Post-mortem conviction of Johnny Cash for the murder of a man in Reno.