Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Racism & Social Injustice Catch-All
Bust my buffers!
New study finds that Medicaid expansions were associated with lower drug overdose mortality rates and increased treatment access:

https://ldi.upenn.edu/healthpolicysense/...d-epidemic

Quote:Despite little evidence, some commentators and policymakers have argued that Medicaid expansion has fueled the opioid epidemic by increasing access to prescription opioids. But a growing number of studies refute this theory, and instead suggest that Medicaid expansion reduces mortality from drug overdoses and increases access to drug treatment.

The latest such evidence comes from LDI Senior Fellows Paula Chatterjee and Atheendar Venkataramani, who analyzed trends in drug overdose deaths in three states that expanded Medicaid eligibility before the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Arizona, Maine, and New York all expanded Medicaid program eligibility in the early 2000s. The authors found that rates of drug overdose deaths rose less sharply in these states than in all non-expansion states (Figure 1a), as well as in non-expansion, neighboring states (Figure 1b). The pattern held when they adjusted for secular trends and state-specific social policies, such as minimum wage and welfare and food stamp program generosity.
A Trump supporter called the police on his black Lyft driver because he didn't put on the radio.  The driver recorded the insane, racist  tirade; the passenger lost his job.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/trump-su...18422.html

Quote:A Trump supporter who berated his Lyft driver with the N word has been fired from his job after a video of the harassment went viral.

Lyft driver Shawn Pepas Lettman of Brooklyn, N.Y., calmly filmed the 16-minute tirade by passenger Robert Ortiz and his two friends, who called the New York City police after Lettman refused to turn on the radio. “I feel racially profiled … because I’m not black,” Ortiz tells the 911 operator. He later adds, “If this guy does anything to threaten my life, I have to defend myself. … I’m a little fearful.”

The passenger then gets on the phone with Lyft. “Maybe because I’m not black … I was charged $8.01 for just asking for music,” says Ortiz, while threatening to file a lawsuit against the ridesharing company.

“I came out of a gay club and your driver is racist against gay people,” Ortiz rants, adding, “I know my legal rights as an American citizen that voted for Trump…” Ortiz also calls the Lyft operator, “a piece of s***.”

In another video call to a friend, Ortiz uses the N word multiple times to describe Lettman.

Ortiz also accuses Lettman of illegally filming him and says, “So, I’m going to make sure, while you’re recording this, that you never have a job as a Lyft driver again.” When Lettman finally speaks, he points to a sign in his car that states passengers will be recorded, to which Ortiz threatens to “make your night a living hell.”

Ortiz adds, “All that Black Lives Matter is bulls***.” He calls the police again while refusing to leave the car. “I bet you if I was black — and Black Lives Matter,” he spits, “he would have put the music on. F*** Black Lives Matter — every life matters … all I asked for was music.”
Kiah Morris, Vermont's first black female politician, has resigned after racial harassment that escalated into a break-in and vandalism:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/lessons-t...52467.html

Quote:Voters in this very liberal, very white state made Kiah Morris a pioneer when in 2014 they elected her as its first black female legislator. Two years later, another Vermont surfaced: racist threats that eventually forced her to leave office in fear and frustration.

After she won the Democratic primary for re-election to the state legislature in 2016, someone tweeted a cartoon caricature of a black person at her, along with a vulgar phrase rendered in ebonics. The tweeter threatened to come to rallies and stalk her, Morris said. She won a protective order against him but once that expired, the harassment continued, she said.

The harassment escalated into a break-in while the family was home, vandalism and death threats seen by her young son. Even after she announced she wouldn't seek re-election, despite running unopposed, a group of youths pounded on her windows and doors at night, forcing her and her husband, convalescing after heart surgery, to leave town.

Finally, in late September, she resigned.

"There's obviously online harassment that can happen, and that's a part of our social media world right now, but then when things started happening in everyday life, that's when it becomes really worrisome and terrifying," she said in a recent interview with The Associated Press.
(10-12-2018, 12:37 PM)Iron Maiden Wrote: A Trump supporter called the police on his black Lyft driver because he didn't put on the radio.  The driver recorded the insane, racist  tirade; the passenger lost his job.

Video really is something.

“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
(10-13-2018, 05:55 AM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote:
(10-12-2018, 12:37 PM)Iron Maiden Wrote: A Trump supporter called the police on his black Lyft driver because he didn't put on the radio.  The driver recorded the insane, racist  tirade; the passenger lost his job.

Considering I shouldn't be all that surprised since WOC feminists often talk about how blind white feminists tend to be, it sorta blows my mind that at no fucking point did dude consider the irony of a gay guy being discriminatory against a black guy. NEVER MIND that lyft drivers aint a fucking taxi service--therefore they ain't gotta do shit for you aside from getting you where you need to go.
 I think all Marvel films are okay. This is my design.

Except for Thor 2: the literal worst.
(10-13-2018, 05:14 PM)ska oreo Wrote:
(10-13-2018, 05:55 AM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote:

Considering I shouldn't be all that surprised since WOC feminists often talk about how blind white feminists tend to be, it sorta blows my mind that at no fucking point did dude consider the irony of a gay guy being discriminatory against a black guy. NEVER MIND that lyft drivers aint a fucking taxi service--therefore they ain't gotta do shit for you aside from getting you where you need to go.

Well no see he is the victim here. Seriously that really is what he thinks. He recorded all of this completely secure in the fact that he would post this online and he would be the victim and the black dude would lose his job. That is the part that is incredible.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
That guy's face is like the visual equivalent of a really long sigh.

If you read those service nightmare blogs and reddits and so forth, that attitude isn't really all that shocking. People turn into spoiled third failsons of fucking royalty when being served by another person; fantastically confident in all the minutiae of what the server's job and duties are too. Thrilling in their own ability to cause harm to the employee and the company with their "power". Even though they are completely wrong about that and don't know what they are talking about most of the time.

I don't know if it's a certain type of person or the situation brings it out of them (seems like a little of both sometimes).
And I love to say that it's more an American thing and Australians don't do that kind of thing, but nope.
The patience of fucking Job there. I’d say watch that video just for the driver. Not even an eye roll. He’s awesome.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I had to listen to country music in a Lyft once. I did not call the police.