Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Cabin in the Woods - Post Release
by Renn Brown: link

Shut up, see it and then shut up again.

Great spoiler-free review, Renn. We're due for a modern horror classic.

Glad to see Cabin in the Woods get a stellar review. Until summer starts, this is the movie I'm most looking forward too.

I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.

Thanks for the great review, Renn.  This is the movie that I think will be one of my favorites for 2012, even taking into account the summer.

This is one of my favorite scripts of all time.  The visuals and beats so far in the trailer and all the glowing reviews fill me with a lot of confidence.

Sooooo friggin stoked for this one. Glad it finally got a release/distribution or whatever the hold up was.

There are some horrible script reviews floating around.  I get the feeling some very noisy people are going to hate this movie.

Anybody who gives that script a poor review is a FUCKING MORON.

Genuine apologies if I've missed a pre existing thread. I just really need to talk to someone about this.

See it immediately and come back here. It's just phenomenal and I know there are some folk here (Spoiler: Particularly the Supernatural fans) who will lose their collective shit.

Scary, clever, very funny, uncompromising and brave.

I just can't say another fucking word and it's killing me.

2012 is shaping up nicely.

I KNOW RIGHT?!

God Damn Right!

Seriously this was me 35 minutes ago...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4Z-RQqPnAuoJKX3GDm5E4-E0Bb62uSG2_XCSaiamU_mBfQ2f7uA

Request for folks posting in this thread prior to release.   SPOILER SPACE THE SHIT OUT OF YOUR POSTS, kindly.  Thank you!

A[quote name="Ratty" url="/community/t/142812/the-cabin-in-the-woods-post-release#post_3297354"]

Request for folks posting in this thread prior to release.   SPOILER SPACE THE SHIT OUT OF YOUR POSTS, kindly.  Thank you!

[/quote]

Of course!

Haven't seen it, but read several script reviews.

Questions:

and spaces.

And more spaces.

And yet more spaces to be sure.

So the final two characters refuse to sacrifice themselves, and the old gods surface.  Is this still in the movie, and if so, how does the scene look?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBananaGrabber View Post

Haven't seen it, but read several script reviews.

Questions:

and spaces.

And more spaces.

And yet more spaces to be sure.

So the final two characters refuse to sacrifice themselves, and the old gods surface.  Is this still in the movie, and if so, how does the scene look?

Yep, and pretty good.

EDIT: I merged this and my review thread for cleanliness.

This film is an UTTER DELIGHT.

So much fun and friggin' hilarious.

HUSBAND BULGE.

I don't want to get into spoilers, but I think my favorite bit from the moment I read the script up till the moment I saw this was a specific character ironically getting his dream come true.  So funny.

OH YES.

Such a fun moment.

Also, and in no particular order;

"Am I on speakerphone?"

Marty's thermos

"TEQUILA!"

"FUCK YOU! FUCK YOU! AND FUCK YOU!"

and of course that last ball shrivelling shot

I'm dying to see how this does. It did NOT play well in my screening. You know from the trailers that it isn't your usual horror and that "left turn" seemed too much for some people. A lot of grumbling as we left.

Of course, by that stage it was too late "You're too late you fools!" I cried "They've already made it! Say what what you want to your mouth breathing friends! You can't unmake this! It's out there! I've seen it!" HAHAHAHAHAHA

Ohhh I don't want to see this movie with a regular crowd!  It's too risky.  After seeing Jump Street BOMB with an audience I can't let that happen and taint my experience with this movie.  I WON'T.

Thanks to Tyler Foster, I got to see the movie at a press only (mwuhuhuh) screening.  It played VERY well with this particular crowd.  YESSSSSSSS.

Guh.  I want to watch this SO HARD.

AMrBananaGrabber, however bad you want to see this it just isn't enough. I'll confidently state that this will meet/exceed your expectation.

Renn called it a classic this very instant and even that may be understating it. I'm desperate to watch it again.

Alright, I'll gladly be the first one to say temper your expectations to those who haven't watched it yet. For comparison's sake, I liked this about as much as I liked SCOTT PILGRIM, which is to say I appreciated the gonzo/mired in pop culture-ness of it, but did not exactly get the falling down on your knees adulation these sorts of things always get from the geek crowd (of which I count myself one of).

And I was VERY ambivalent about the last twenty minutes. I blame this a little on myself, as from all the early talk I expected something where you go, "Oohhhhhh! So, that's what this was the whole time! Brilliant!" but instead was served something that...

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

SPOILERS, etc, etc,

SPOILERS

... anyone of us could have and probably DID think up when were fourteen years old. "And then let's have EVERY monster EVER jump out, and then, like, the "Old Gods" will get pissed, and then kill everyone! Right?" This is some IDENTITY level nonsense, right there. And I'm on fully board with just having fun with it, but I don't begrudge anyone having their first response to that be, "What? Oh, c'mon," because when you just "have fun with it" to this degree it's like watching a soccer game you cared about devolve into a series of meaningless trick shots. Yeah, it's fun, but, uh, I'd like to actually care, you know? And it's clear from that point that this entire thing was an hour long set up for those doors all opening.

I really don't understand why people are saying this is smart. The first movie that sprung to my mind that I think actually warrants this talk with its clear deep knowledge of the genre and an actual twist that is craftily done is BEHIND THE MASK.

If I had one suggestion for people seeing it, just go in expecting zaniness. You'll be richly rewarded.

Is this anything like Joseph Khan's self funded meta-horror film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post

They have very little in common. It's a fucking shame Detention has it's small release the same weekend. See both. Cabin In The Woods is well made and funny and sharp. Detention is brave and smart and CRAZY and full of balls. Very different experiences that are both worth your time.

EDIT: I was simultaneously asked to approve studio use of quotes from my reviews of both of these movies, so my first-ever quote whoring will be for two meta-horror flicks opening on the same day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renn Brown View Post

EDIT: I was simultaneously asked to approve studio use of quotes from my reviews of both of these movies, so my first-ever quote whoring will be for two meta-horror flicks opening on the same day.

Awesome.

Congrats!

Which parts are they quoting, if it's ok to ask?

No idea! Who knows how or where they'd use it.

Surely it will be "a classic right this instant". That got more jazzed than anything else I read. Congratulations.

I was lucky enough to see an advanced screening tonight with Drew Goddard on hand for a Q&A afterwards (free T-shirt and poster whoo!!).  They even took our phones and had 3 hulking security guards standing watch.  What you've heard isl true.  The movie is fucking great.  As someone not familiar with Goddard's work outside Cloverfield, I must say, that dude is a serious gentleman.  Just fantastic.  Patient, funny, smart, a joy to listen to.  Amazing night for me, felt all Hollywood in Minnesota.  Goddard also said he's seen the Avengers and that it was "fucking awesome".  But, what else would he say?  I am a happy movie nerd tonight!

So will the April 13th release date apply to all markets?  Does anyone know?  I can't find any info on the local release date and I'd fucking hate to have to wait for the dvd before I'll be able to see this.

I NEED THIS MOVIE IN MY LIFE NOW!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename View Post

So will the April 13th release date apply to all markets?  Does anyone know?  I can't find any info on the local release date and I'd fucking hate to have to wait for the dvd before I'll be able to see this.

I NEED THIS MOVIE IN MY LIFE NOW!!!!

I'm really hoping the movie comes out here in Canada on April 13th, not just cause I want to see it sooner rather than later, but because it's my birthday and this looks like an awesome movie to see with friends on my birthday.

Got a last minute heads up for a preview of this tonight, absolutely fucking loved it.

(obviously, only click this if you've seen it, otherwise just read the sentence above and go see the damn film, pronto!)

SPOILERS!

SPOILERS!

SPOILERS!

I especially liked the very SCP vibe of the facility and the whole 'ah, just fuck it all' sense of the ending, but that's possibly due to the general sense of misanthropy I've been feeling overall of late. Seriously, though, the two of them sitting there like that while the world ends, her half ripped-to-shreds by a werewolf, him having engaged Sigourney-fucking-Weaver in a desperate fight to the death, and them just lighting up and agreeing to let all hell break loose has rocketed right up my favourite film endings list.

Luckily, I knew nothing about it whatsoever going in, I hear the trailers really spoil things a bit. Grab your pals, go in blind, prepare for AMAZE.

In the interests of fairness, I should also add my friend who I went with was 50/50 on it, and didn't like the last act very much at all. I put this down to him just being a bit mental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post

Interestingly enough, Kahn doesn't really consider Detention a horror film as much as a multi-genre film, and I kind of felt like an idiot for asking him about it. It uses horror as a framework, sure, but there are big stretches of that film that have nothing to do with horror whatsoever. Detention has its fingers in numerous realms of pop culture and story archetypes, whereas Cabin in the Woods is specifically mired in horror with little interest in anything else. Being honest, I liked Detention more, but only by a bit, and Cabin is absofuckinglutely amazing and deserves to be seen just as much.

I'm holding my review of this until release (along with Detention, and I agree with Mr. Renn that it's a king bummer that they're coming out at the same time); it's already killing me and I only saw it last night. This is a film you want to talk about, and more to the point, a film you need to talk about. I'm insanely happy my brother was able to attend with me, and that two of his friends happened to be in the general audience section by circumstance, because I would have exploded if I had no one to talk to about it with afterward. Suffice to say, I'll gladly go pay money to see it again in theaters on release, if only because,

SPOILERS ARE BELOW, LOOK OUT

the last 20-30 minutes comprise such an unending bloodbath and creature orgy that you can't just watch it once, especially as a horror fan. You'll miss tons of stuff no matter how hard you try to catch everything on screen. And no other movie this year has left me feeling so harrowed as this, except for Kill List. Seriously, I needed a hug after the credits started rolling.

...but also because the characters are well-written and realized, the dialogue is great, the ideas are on-point, and the craft on display is pretty much impeccable.