Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Cabin in the Woods - Post Release
AThis remains one of my favourite cinema experiences. I had no clue what the film was about and as the veil slowly started to lift I was going crazy.

Jenkins and Whitford are just phenomenal throughout though. "It's so strange. I'm actually rooting for this girl. She's got so much heart. And you think of all the pain and the... TEQUILA IS MY LADY!"

I re-watch this once a month. Hasn't lost any of its luster.

And yeah, one of the best cinema experiences for me, too. Glorious.

AI don't even care for slasher movies, but I saw this on the insistence of a geek film blogger and loved the hell out of it anyway. It's such an ingenious mashup of pointed genre satire, loving homage, and Whedonesque ensemble comedy that it's pretty much impossible to not like.
AIt has the ultimate third act.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

It has the ultimate third act.

And that's what makes it so fantastic.  Just when the slasher parody stuff is running out of gas (as pretty much all parody does at a certain point), it launches into something else entirely and its big and bonkers and amazing.

The slow realization that this film was just going to keep topping itself was something to behold on a first viewing.

Quote:

I play a drinking game where we have to drink to every horror film reference. When the third act kicks in I insist the entirety of it is a homage to "In the Mouth of Madness" and everyone must drink continuously til the end. It's a good game!

Quote:

Yeah, from "let's get this party started" on is maybe my favorite 15-minute stretch of any movie ever.

Same thing at my first viewing with this movie as in 13 Assassins. When that third act kicked in and it just started going fucking big at every turn, I broke out laughing. I couldn't believe this movie existed and I was seeing it. It was like laughing at the big turns on a roller coaster.

Also, Anna Hutchison in that film ...

Am I right?

AI love the "I learned it from watching you!" joke at the beginning.

*runs out of room*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord View Post

weird

thanks to you calling her out just now, I realized who Cassie Jaye (the director of THE RED PILL documentary we talked about in either the social media or misogyny thread)) kinda reminded me of

yes, all blonde women working in hollywood look same

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overlord View Post

Am I right?

Yeah Joss said her topless scene best summed up the movie. Seriously it's in the commentary. I think im supposed to feel guilty for watching...........nice try Joss! Now show me a tiny girl beating men up.

AOh, yeah, Spartacus's girlfriend is in this.
AShe looks like Darla.
Quote:

For as great as all the meta and deconstruction is, my favorite is when they let all the monsters out.

I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.

The elevator *ding* is such a perfect punctuation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaz View Post

For as great as all the meta and deconstruction is, my favorite is when they let all the monsters out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post

The elevator *ding* is such a perfect punctuation.

One of my absolute favourite scenes of the last 10 years.

AThat scene works so well because the moment you see all the monsters in their cells, you're thinking, "Oh man, what if they all get out?" And then the film says, "You know what? You've been good, here you go." Just the realization that they're going there is so satisfying.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post

That scene works so well because the moment you see all the monsters in their cells, you're thinking, "Oh man, what if they all get out?" And then the film says, "You know what? You've been good, here you go." Just the realization that they're going there is so satisfying.

​I may well have already said years back in the thread but basically all of us who had seen Buffy Season 4 knew what was coming. You can't have a setup like that in the First Act and not have a jail break by the last one.

And even when we first saw the cells for the first time in Buffy Season 4, even if we'd never seen that setup ever before, well it's like Chekhov's Jail Cells, isn't it? There's no way you can show such things full of monsters at the start and not have them break out and cause the most mayhem they can at the end.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shan View Post

There's no way you can show such things full of monsters at the start and not have them break out and cause the most mayhem they can at the end.

I think audiences are used to punches being pulled as de rigueur. Actually having them opened and wreak havoc was unexpected.

AIt's great reading these new posts and seeing Chewers discovering the joy of this movie for the first time.

On the upside, by being at least adjacent to the still active Buffy fandom, I knew about it as it was on its way at the time. On the downside, it took a change.org petition among other things to get a cinema release of any kind in Australia.

http://screenanarchy.com/2012/05/oz-beat...nemas.html

AProbably worth another pop.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vi...re-1034095

My thought is that the primary attribute of Cabin is that it's clever. That's a good thing, but doesn't necessarily spawn a movement. Especially when it's chief target/homage is 80's horror.