Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE AVENGERS (2012) Post-Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Merriweather View Post

Batman's gonna be fine, but Sony really should be shitting their pants over this.

I am imagining hordes of Mamet-esque executives  screaming into bluetooths, "NO, no, no! We don't want dark and gritty anymore! Dark and gritty is OVER!"

Give us quirky and uplifting!

We'll see how the summer BO shakes out, but I think the new Spider-Man looks pretty good. I'm excited to have 3 superhero movies that all look excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyQuinn22 View Post

The reviews touch upon the one issue that I feel might hold this one back just a tad at the box office, and I want to ask this to you peeps who've seen it.  Not as many people saw Cap and Thor as they did Iron Man.  Are those people going to understand who those characters are and why they behave the way that they do?  Will anyone who didn't see Thor understand why Loki is doing what he does?  Or who the hell Hawkeye is?

Let's not underestimate the amount of people who have probably "caught up" on home viewing.  Though there is certainly a bit of space for concern, as there are still people that have seen more than one Marvel Studios film and yet have no idea they take place in the same "universe" or that this whole "Avengers" thing is even a thing (though those people are dwindling as the ad campaign ratchets up, of course).

A fair number of folks don't stay for post-credits teasers, after all.  Over the last couple years, being the geek-in-residence at my workplace, I've had about a dozen or so co-workers that didn't realize the connections until I explained it to them, which then sent them off looking to go see the films they'd missed (which thankfully they usually enjoyed).  Then it was just a matter of explaining as succinctly as possible why Batman or Spider-man or Green Lantern or Wolverine weren't going to be part of the Avengers....

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubstreeter View Post

We'll see how the summer BO shakes out, but I think the new Spider-Man looks pretty good. I'm excited to have 3 superhero movies that all look excellent.

I have a feeling that the Spider-Man reboot will be of reasonably good quality, but there just seems to be no "buzz" among the geek contingent in favor of the film.  Even a negative buzz is at least something (it certainly didn't hurt the Transformers films), but if you can't get "the base" excited how can you expect the folks that already care less about the property to get excited?  While the geek market may not be indicative of the general populace, even among the "non geek" crowds just about everyone seems aware that The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises are coming out this summer, but a lot of them have no idea there's another Spider-Man movie too.  I have a feeling ASM is going to underperform.  It won't likely be a disaster or a "bomb" or anything, and stellar reviews and WOM might boost it a good bit (if they materialize), but as it stands right now I'm betting it comes in closer to Batman Begins than the previous entries in the Spider-Man series (in terms of grosses).

Then again, Batman Begins seems to be precisely what they're aiming for, so....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Myers View Post

So, this is POST release, right? I'm gonna spoil the shit out of this.

Questions:

- do you really think Coulson is gone for good? What about the card stuff
- was that Jeffrey Wright as Thanos?
- some say Pepper appeared to be pregnant? Didn't get that

- the dark figures Nick Fury talks to, one of them Powers Boothe?

.....................................................................................................

So it is true!  I'm not a big fan of Whedon but i've heard people say that "he can't do a movie without killing off one of the characters".

This sucks. I really reaaaaally like Coulson. Sad Goodbye Son of Coul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Myers View Post

Questions:

- do you really think Coulson is gone for good? What about the card stuff
- was that Jeffrey Wright as Thanos?
- some say Pepper appeared to be pregnant? Didn't get that

- the dark figures Nick Fury talks to, one of them Powers Boothe?

- Whedon loves killing characters. So if he's doing AVENGERS 2, then I'd lean towards yes. But fans do love him, so we'll see.

- I had to miss that end bit at my screening, so no idea. But I haven't heard anyone else I know mention it yet.

- Me neither.

- Totes.

AI like Caulson as much as anyone else and I'm not the biggest fan of Whedon's love for killing off characters (because he is often waaaaaaay off see: serenity, deaths serve no purpose, had no emotional impact), but Caulson is little more than a prop in these films to help ground the heroes in reality and more importantly to help distract from budget constraints on earlier Marvel pics. The character has no future, he's comic relief fodder, killing him is probably a great career move for whatever that actor's name is.

Just back.  Loved the shit out of it, as did my 6 year old.  During the Hulk Smash bits (which he did astoundingly well) she was giggling and clapping away like a maniac.

Loved when Hulk talked, and the scene that it was in.  Talk about a beat down.  Also loved his get back at Thor mid-end battle.

I thought Ruffalo was great as Banner, and if he informed the animation, equally good as Hulk.  He had a humility that counter-balanced Hulk very well.  Everyone was great in fact, and amazingly none of the characters got short thrift.  Hiddleston was especially good I thought, he clearly had a blast with this.

I thought the action was by and large great.  The geography of the fights are well presented, you always know where they are and what's happening.  And the final action scene had some great moments linking the characters together.  I was watching it and mentally thinking of the ending of Transformers 3 and thinking Bay needs to watch this to see how it's done properly.

And it was funny.  Some of the one liners and comebacks were just quality.

Also, the phrase "mewling quim" isn't used enough in movies.

Finally the cinema I saw this in in small town NZ was packed. I know it's Anzac day but I have never seen the cinema anywhere near that full.  I saw the previous Marvel films on opening night and the max would have been about 20 people.  The Dark Knight, about the same.  So if that's any indicator, then this movie is going to rake it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bain View Post

Finally the cinema I saw this in in small town NZ was packed. I know it's Anzac day but I have never seen the cinema anywhere near that full.  I saw the previous Marvel films on opening night and the max would have been about 20 people.  The Dark Knight, about the same.  So if that's any indicator, then this movie is going to rake it in.

Same.  We went to our little locally owned and indie cinema in Wollongong because it's usually quiet (most I've ever seen there is about 30 people), and it was PACKED.  I mean to the gills.

And it got eaten up like a motherfucker.  Absolute HOWLS of laughter from the audience, sincere gasps at some of the dramatic moments, the whole nine.  Andy's dead right about the geography of the action in the final act - never confusing, always clear and easy to follow.  A true rarity in this day and age.

A couple of highlights -

Loki's arrival on Earth.  That fucking GRIN.

Hulk's receipt for Thor.

Hulk's answer to Loki.

Well, everything Hulk.

Shakespeare In The Park.

The way Hawkeye's trick arrow gimmick was implemented and realised (very clever)

Galaga.  (Galaga absolutely fucking KILLED me)

I could go on . . .

Screen shot 2012-04-25 at 12.23.20 AM.pngScreen shot 2012-04-25 at 12.27.04 AM.png

This won't be up long: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKN3yVBYgd0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The NZ Natural View Post

Shakespeare In The Park.

That absolutely killed in the theater I was in.

As did "are you an alien?", "no", "then you have a condition"

nice cameo in that scene too Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Dobler View Post

Honestly I never thought of this before seeing you write it here but when I think about it I dont think it really matters. Each character gets enough of an introduction and time in the spotlight that you could potentially go in cold and still have a good time. I'm asssuming anyone who goes to see this film at least knows who the characters are without the details of each so this will help. Having seen Thor will definitely help with understanding Loki's motivations but not the whole Hawkeye thing as he is in the very first scene.

yeah they layout Hawkeye and Black Widow well.  The movie theater I saw it in was full of families so it was by no means a "comic fan" only event, and everyone appeared to love it.  Even got applause at the end.

More gags I loved:

"I got that, I got that reference!"

and "why should I take orders from you?" Cap owns a few aliens, "OK, I need men stationed here.."

My one criticism is that the end was a little:

too Droid Control ship. I know it had to end the way it did, and a mop up would have been an anti-climax, but it just reminded me too much of TPM

There were a great , great many gags.  But "He *is* adopted." absolutely killed at my screening as well.

Relating to this, could someone describe how it's realized?  What's CG and what's not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonatrent View Post

The guy doing the talking appeared to be physical, dude in makeup and costume basically.  He's in the movie and his scenes certainly looked to be make up rather than mo-cap.

Pretty much everything else, including (I felt) Thanos was CG I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bain View Post

The guy doing the talking appeared to be physical, dude in makeup and costume basically.  He's in the movie and his scenes certainly looked to be make up rather than mo-cap.

Pretty much everything else was CG I think.

Even the hand?  That looked pretty human-proportioned and natural looking at least as far as the youtube video allowed.  Just curious whether they're going to go full CG or try some sort of hybrid mixture of face/body for the sake of cost and actor interaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughJ View Post

Relating to this, could someone describe how it's realized?  What's CG and what's not?

It's a very quick scene, and I was so busy being totally into it to really look at the technical stuff, to be honest.  But the only full body shot is that relatively distant opening one where it's not entirely revealed who it is yet.  That could well have been a costume on a soundstage.  The rest of it is just quick glimpses.  l'd imagine the only bit that's really CG is the face reveal at the end - the rerst seems to have been practical easily enough.

ah, no the hand was definately physical.  Watching it again I realise that it's Thanos' hand.  During the flick I thought it was the speakers, but thinking about it he had 6 or so fingers when you see him earlier, so it must be Thanos.

Face ould be makeup I suppose, but the face looked .. well, it looked CG.  That could be down to the very blue glowy eyes though.

Also liked Coulson geeking out over Cap.

Re: that. Fury was very circumspect.  I suspect we'll see him again.

Guys, just popping my head in to say be careful putting spoilery things in the first few lines of your post.  They show up in the preview on the New Posts page and someone might inadvertently see something they don't want to even if they're staying out of this thread.

Can a moderator make Richard's post visible -sticky- instead of the -future- most recent ones?

So woke up this morning immediately thinking about Hulk smashing.

First thing my daughter says to me is about Hulk.

Driving to work thinking about Hulk smacking Thor off screen.

Think I may have to see this again if I have the time this weekend.  Haven't felt that way about a movie in a long time.

I really enjoyed this. And like Andy, watching this in NZ - we barely fill cinemas, but this one was packed - and people actually laughing out loud and cheering, which is really rare.

As mentioned already, The Hulk totally steals the show. Can some one fill me in on what he says after playing rag doll slam with Loki? I missed it due to people laughing.

Loved the Thor/ Hulk battle - and the final battle 'revenge' from Hulk.

Id say Hawkeye easily gets the short straw - hes basically Cyclops from X-Men 2 for a while - then hes relegated to standing on a building corner firing explody arrows and finally just ends up laying around in an office.

Only slight downside for me was it felt maybe a bit too long (mostly through the middle) and RDJ was too RDJ - if that makes sense.

Re: Your question (and being mindful of Richards comment re: comment lines showing up)

he said "Puny God"

Just spoke to my mate who tried to go see it in Palmy yesterday and he couldn't get in because the first shows were sold out, and the later show had lines too big for him to be arsed with.

This is probably going to break a few records in NZ.

Yeah - and I was kinda amazed at how whole families were going to this thing. Mums and Dads with kids (boys and girls). I had a young boy behind me and for the first 20 minutes or so he was saying 'oh so thats the Hulk' whenever a new character was introduced.

Another Hulk related question - when did he suddenly get 'control' of the Hulk? Was it some random epiphany when he fell from the Helicarrier? One minute hes about to do some spousal abuse on Black Widow and is smacking around Thor, and then in the final fight hes in total control. I know the old security guy said a line about how he was awake when he was falling and didn't hurt anyone.

Oh and I thought Caps costume looked silly. His helmet actually looked like the toy ones that are around now.

Yeah, I was concernmed I was terrible parent for subjecting my 6 year old to OTT violence but the cinema was packed with kids her age, and even younger.  And yeah, she kept saying "is that Hulk?"

Apart from when Black Widow was told to abort her mission and dished out the shit, then she turned to me and said "She's AWESOME".

Re: Hulk/Banner.  I think he had control since the end of TIH, the meditation thing.

But I think it's a fine degree of control

so

when he says "I'm always angry" and changes, I took that to mean he could always turn it on or off, it's just when he gets SUPER pissed (in the helicarrier) that he totally loses control and Hulk is a big mass of abusive rage.

Some random text about the weather and local sports teams.

Yeah I guess that makes sense. I just remember another bit I loved...Hulk trying to pick up Mjolnir. I marked out for that...and could have only been topped if later on Thor lost the hammer and Captain America picks it up and gives it to him.

A man walks into a bar and asks the bartender to hide spoilers from people in the rest of the world . . .

Oh man . . . the look on Loki's face after Hulk's done with him.  I think it was because he was lying in the diveted ground from the impact, but he just looked like Wile E Coyote after one of his plans had backfired on him.

If you spoil this for me I'll scweam and scweam and scweam until I'm sick

(loving the direction that's going BTW)

Ha, yeah, Hulk trying to pick up the hammer was mint, I expected him, to rip up the helicarrier floor and it was great when he started sinking into it.

Also, the upper cut Thor gives Hulk.  The only time the audience audibly winced more was when BW smacked Hawkeye's head into the rail.

And the Loki beatdown.  My god that was so, so good.  Posturing, preening, OWNED.  That was my girl's favourite part.

I think mine (among SO many) was when Banner says "I'll let you in on a secret", transforms and then stops the big alien spaceship monster (my daughters term) dead in it's tracks with one punch, or probably when he just punches Thor off screen and has a great mischievous grin on his face.  I think I giggled like a girl and clapped my hands at both of those moments.

And the team fight moves.  Off top of my head there's the obvious BW boost up, but a real quick one was Iron Man reflecting his beams off Cap's shield.  Again, giggling, clapping 40 year old man.

Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy? Caught in a landslide, No escape from spoilers.

Really, you can pick out a hundred moments from the final battle. It was fantastic. The way they would interact with each other, help out, then take off in another direction. I am a bit gutted that we were spoiled the 'Hulk saving Iron Man catch' - because you knew it was coming - and it would have been yet another 'OH SHIIIIIT' Hulk moment.

I did appreciate how Iron Man gave Loki and Thor time to have a long brotherly discussion before he interrupted ("Im listening..." - great line) - even though he was probably only 5 seconds behind. Cap in that scene made me smile like an idiot in how 'comicy' he was. The God line and just jumping out of the jet with a parachute.

Loki rag doll got the biggest reaction Ive heard in a cinema for years.

Saw it in Tasmania Yesterday..

Way cool.

Loved the Hulk- Loki- rag doll tossing. And the little whimper from Loki afterwards had me in stitches.

Also the Hulk - Thor punch off the screen.. Hilarious.

Havn't had a smuch fun in the cinema for ages. Well done to all and sundry.

Was that thanos in the post credits? Cant remember him having a red face. I initially thought it was Red Skull.

oh well.. bring on more..

"he is adopted"

Classic

Cheers Chewers

Held up great to a second viewing. I may have even liked it better.

AGood to hear,.hoping to see it again tomorrow as I have to work a wee bit late, then flicks after.

I'm hoping my not going 'holy didn't will allow me to enjoy more holy fuck moments that were covered by me going holy fuck
AAlso, I was a bit concerned my girl didn't really get it, and only focussed on Hulk smash

But in the car on the way home she asked me 'why did Loki forget?', 'forget what?' 'That Thor was his brother, they used to play together, so why did he forget and be a baddie?'

Cue conversation about jealousy and insecurity

'ah,, so is that why Iron man didn't like Captain America at the start and they argued? Because iron mans daddy liked Captain America better?'

Really must give my girl more credit :-) and credit to Whedon for getting that across with minimal exposition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonatrent View Post

Screen shot 2012-04-25 at 12.23.20 AM.pngScreen shot 2012-04-25 at 12.27.04 AM.png

*FAINTS*