Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE AVENGERS (2012) Post-Release

[Placeholder text]

I thought the final line was pretty clever - about how taking on Earth would be to court Death, and Thanos having a raging hard on for 'her'.

When people hung around for the Thanos clip, after it finished Id say a good 99% had no idea who it was. Which means one thing. Re-release of Marvel Super Heroes on PS3. Do it.172px-Thanos02gif.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Unit View Post

I thought the final line was pretty clever - about how taking on Earth would be to court Death, and Thanos having a raging hard on for 'her'.

His reaction also expressed one of his less emphasized traits, the lust for challenges.

An Englishman, an Irishman and a Maori are drinking in a bar when the Englishman says . . .

For some reason, I spent half the day laughing to myself over Loki's reaction to his sceptre going *tink!* against Stark's arc reactor.  Seriously, Hiddleston's facial expressions deserve an Oscar.  He's amazing.

"You scared of a little lightning?"

"I'm not overly fond of what follows it."

What a film that was.  The Hulk... where to begin with him, just WOW.  I nearly passed out laughing at a certain scene with him and Thor.  I saw it in 3D as well and that was a pretty good post conversion imho there were only a couple of scenes that really didn't work but otherwise it was fine, I did see the trailer for Prometheous and I am sold on that movie like no other the 3D in the trailer was fantastic and everything just popped.

I want to see it again and in the cinema, man I enjoyed this film it just clicked perfectly for me and the others I was with enjoyed it as well.

ASoon there will be no need for spoiler spacers, but that time is not now.

yeah, now I can get beyond Hulk I'm remembering all sorts of other stuff, primarily about how great TH is as LokI. His scene in Germany where he's just drunk on the moment as he tells them humans need to be subjugated. His tiny looks of insecurity, his comedy timing, all outstanding.

A shout out to the Thor scene in the great glass Hulk elevator, and the way he looked at mjolnir for a second before picking it up, presumably because if his guilt about the helicarrier events.

Also, Phil 'his first name is Agent' Coulson. Loved his scenes with cap, and his 'you lack conviction', 'so that's what it does' moments. I hope it's a fast one that's been pulled as I'd actually like to see more of him. But I worry that the largely unused Agent Hill was in specifically as a replacement market for moving forwards.

SPOILER SPOILER

Quote:
Originally Posted by leederick View Post

Spoiler space...

I'm just amazed that Scarlett Johansson was called a cunt in a kid's superhero film. I don't want to come off all won't somone think of the children, but I can't help but feel a line's been crossed...

well, it was quim which is very olde English term, but yeah, I got the feeling that if there was no restriction on this it would have been cunt.

Even so, as I said earlier, the phrase "mewling quim" really isn't used enough in films.

While we're on Olde English does anyone remember exactly what Stark said after "Shakespeare in the Park"?  I was too busy laughing to really take it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The NZ Natural View Post

A man walks into a bar and asks the bartender to hide spoilers from people in the rest of the world . . .

Oh man . . . the look on Loki's face after Hulk's done with him.  I think it was because he was lying in the diveted ground from the impact, but he just looked like Wile E Coyote after one of his plans had backfired on him.

This this this. Oh god that scene was glorious, I've very rarely seen an audience react with such joy and delight but good lord, it was perfect from the moment he yelled "ENOUGH!"to getting the Bam-Bam Rubble treatment to lying there with *that* look of incomprehension to Hulk's dismissive reply. Even if the rest of the film had been garbage, I'd give it 3 stars just for that 10 seconds.

Fortunately, the rest of it wasn't garbage at all. I haven't had so much fun at the cinema in ages. I freely admit, I didn't think they'd pull it off but they did. They really did. I just want to go see it again at the weekend. I can't recall the last time in the past 20 years I've wanted to go see a film again so soon but seriously, it was just so goddamn enjoyable. Hell, there was applause at the end of the showing - I've seen it happen in the States but it *never* happens here in the UK usually.

Special mention to the Tony/Bruce bromance, which I really dug and didn't expect at all.

I think that's the key to this movie eh?  It's FUN, it's enjoyable, but it's not a guilty pleasure, it's not "leave your brain at the door", it's a genuinely entertaining roller coaster ride that you invest in.

And laugh with.  Seriously, I don't remember the last comedy I laughed at this much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bain View Post

And laugh with.  Seriously, I don't remember the last comedy I laughed at this much.

You need to see 21 Jump Street then.

I think Stark said something like "Does thy Mother know thou is wearing thine drapes?". Im sure that completely wrong...but he basically gives him shit about the cape.

Another great Hulk moment I just remembered. Him performing 'CPR' on Iron Man. Classic.

I think I reverted to 6-7 years old during this film; seriously, the pure joy and fun of watching it develop and build up ti every single big moment its basically pure, unadultered movie bliss.

Okay, quick snippets of geek outs and love now, because like hell im not going to watch this again in the next 48 hours.

-Theater was packed as hell, and every single funny bit and joke delivered; hell, its safe to say its been years since ive seen an audience so engaged and overenjoying a movie alltogether.

-Hulk vs Loki has meet with laughter THEN applause; every single person of every age has to cheer and lose it at that moment.

-Loved that everyone gets their moments to shine in the final battle; from Hulk's little payback at Thor, Cap defusing the hostage situation,  Thor turning into a lightning rod, Hawkeye getting payback at Loki, Iron Man's Jonas manuever and Black Widow using her wrist stingers and highjacking an alien bike; the whole big fight just floats and moves from piece to piece; Whedon essentially shows every director out there that big action set pieces need to flow and be connected in a way.

-Whedon's "killing a character" trademark move is perfectly used here and pretty much shows how the whole shared universe gamble payed off big time.

-There is no way Hiddleston doesnt make it big after this one; his performance as Loki is perfect, and he shines at being an angry, vicious and embittered god; he also can be creepy as fuck, as his scene with Black Widow shows.

-Loved the little shout outs and hints to the comics and mythos of the characters; Thor using Mjolnir to pin down Hulk, Iron Man using Cap's shield as a reflector (thats a special team up move in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2), the Widow Stings, the unveiling of the new Iron Man armour (for a second there, i though it was going to be the Silver Centurion suit), and so on.

-The helicarrier rising is a fantastic moment; hell, i think its toy has a big chance of being the USS Flagg of this generation...GI Joe fans know what im talking bout.

-Ruffallo is perfect as Banner/Hulk; ive liked both Bana and Norton, but he simply makes the role his; I love that his take is that Banner is an angry person, probably frustrated and full of traumas over his father, his relationship with Betty and Gnral Ross and so on; loved that by being a samaritan and devoting to others seemed to be his way to control his pent up anger; also, i think the movie makes it clear that Banner loses control when under stress or trauma, but when he focuses his anger on a target or is provoked, he has some degree of control over Hulk; he's not in control, but Hulk is more docile and smart then (Hulk saving Iron Man and taking that "we're not buddies yet" swing at Thor are hints at that).

-In few words, i think this is it;  the perfect superhero movie; fun, entertaining but never dumb or full of itself; it simply embraces the concept and makes it happen onscreen, never trying to sell it as deep, serious or even kitsch; its all about fun, spectacle, bright colors and loud sounds; like Kurt Busiek describes the Avengers in "Marvels"; as "Grand opera, the greatest spectacle on earth...and all of us had the best seat in the house".

Ok, now the nitpiicks...which are just two:

-Hawkeye got the shaft in favor of Black Widow in terms of character development, but he shines and excels in action sequence and Renner sells Clint Barton being the perfect marksman while never letting the character feel out of place or two dimensional; a sequel should rectify that, specially if they bring the Cap vs Hawkeye dynamic of the comics, which could be used as a clashing of two different types of soldiers/squad leaders.

-Loki's army are just cannon fodder and their "makers" are just there to spoil the fans, but i can deal with that; this is all Loki's show and it kinda works with the theme of Fury proving that there are other threats and worlds out there.

-Fury is underdeveloped a bit, but Jackson is just fine in the role; his couple action scenes are a bit forced, but it makes sense that he is more of the manipulator/string puller type, as he's based in the more realistic and darker Ultimate version of the character.

Finally, the sequel/future talk:

-The reveal of Thanos is pitch perfect for comic fans, dammit; loved the narration leading up to the reveal, and that smile; holy shit, i cant believe they are actually teasing a "Infinity gauntlet" adaptation in the future.

-I kind of hope they stay more grounded or avoid cosmic/alien threats in a sequel (better build up the universe and cast for a third one featuring Thanos); Ultron or Kang the Conqueror would make great foes for the sequel.

-Also, i'm calling it right now...when Thanos invades/arrives, if he brings an army, Red Skull is going to be his general/right hand man; not only it would tie in, but it would make sense for Cap's nemesis to be the leader of an Avengers enemy force.

Overall, one (if not THE) best experiences of pure fun and joy watching a movie; i need to see this one again this very weekend.

here's to you, Josh, Kevin and everyone involved in bringing the Marvel Universe onscreen; the gamble has paid off ina  way i couldnt imagine.

Thank you.

Quote:

Also, I was a bit concerned my girl didn't really get it, and only focussed on Hulk smash
But in the car on the way home she asked me 'why did Loki forget?', 'forget what?' 'That Thor was his brother, they used to play together, so why did he forget and be a baddie?'
Cue conversation about jealousy and insecurity
'ah,, so is that why Iron man didn't like Captain America at the start and they argued? Because iron mans daddy liked Captain America better?'
Really must give my girl more credit :-) and credit to Whedon for getting that across with minimal exposition.

May I just say how adorable and awesome this little girl sounds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyQuinn22 View Post

May I just say how adorable and awesome this little girl sounds?

you may, and thank you Smile

I picked her up from school yesterday (day after movie) and she had on a mask, shaped like a Butterfly that she'd made in art.

"I'm a superhero",

"really?, who?",

"Butterfly girl"

"cool, what are your super powers"

"I shoot out thousands of butterflies."

"..oh, OK, cool I guess"

"they all have guns"

"wow, that's pretty mean!"

"yup"

Smile

Quote:

you may, and thank you Smile

I picked her up from school yesterday (day after movie) and she had on a mask, shaped like a Butterfly that she'd made in art.

"I'm a superhero",

"really?, who?",

"Butterfly girl"

"cool, what are your super powers"

"I shoot out thousands of butterflies."

"..oh, OK, cool I guess"

"they all have guns"

"wow, that's pretty mean!"

"yup"

Smile

Im going out on a limb and say that your adorable little girl probably watched "Adventure Time".

Also, congratulations on raising such an adorable and awesome daughter.

There may be spoilers in what follows, I haven't decided because I make this up as I go along...

Just saw this tonight. What can I say? It's as if someone spied on me while I was a kid playing with my action figures and made that into a movie. It's like the ultimate fan fiction except that it works as a tremendous action movie. I am absolutely thrilled that they actually pulled this movie off. I had a huge grin on my face from the beginning. They actually managed at times to achieve a perfect comic book aesthetic. During the final battle, there was this great shot of Iron Man flying in one direction, while Black Widow stowed away on one of those flying bike thingies in the background... I actually shouted out loud "This is AMAZING!" I don't do that kind of thing very often. But that entire 30-minute climax is like a bunch of comic book splash pages brought to life. And then, during the big moment with Hulk and Loki, the movie had me laughing and clapping like a damned fool.

The scope Joss Whedon brings to this is awesome. The way he is able to balance all the characters and make sure each of them have their space while being true to the global vision of the whole story... Not easy to do. And at no point does he cheapen on the writing. Yes, the movie has a silly comic book plot. But at no point does it feel stupid. The screenplay is full of wit, cleverness and invention. And Whedon directs this large scale stuff with a keen sense of pacing and a clear, coherent vision. There is massive destruction and mayhem by the ton but he always remembers to keep the focus on the characters, making sure those are characters you enjoy watching. He really makes Michael Bay look like a fucking fool. And the Transformers movies are only going to seem that much worse after this hits it as big as it deserves to. I mean, this is 145 minutes long too. But at no point do you feel bloated.

Ultimately, I have to say I think the Summer may have blown its load early this year. Because I can't imagine the upcoming spectacle pictures are going to top this one for sheer entertainment value. It's pretty much a perfect popcorn movie.

Regarding the controversial killing...

It's testament to Clark Gregg's really cool take on his character that anyone who watched all the other movies is really going to feel the loss. But, at that point in the film, Whedon needed an effective emotional beat. So, much as I loved Gregg and will miss him, I applaud the decision to kill him off. Besides, they can bring him back if they want to. Though, it would cheapen it somewhat if they did.

Man... What a blast this thing was. I can't wait to see it again.

As far as Spider-Man and Batman having something to worry about? I think TDKR is safe in the sense that audiences are going to that for a different kind of experience and they know that going in.

Depending on Spider-Man's ambitions, it probably will feel slightly anti-climactic. Because The Lizard storming the Verazzano bridge or whatever is going to seem pretty limp compared to the sights displayed here.

In any case, both movies have a couple of months to build up their steam. They might actually benefit from the comic book goodwill generated by this, which I'm sure is about to explode. As well it deserves to.

Erix, Being a much bigger fan of...MARVELous Entertainment, I am far more excited to see the...Sensational...Amazing Spider-Man, than The Dark Knight Rises.  I will...Easilly take...The Lizard, over the current...BANE, of Batman's Existence!  Also, There is no comparison between...Emma "Perfectly Rounded" Stone and Anne Hathaway.  Emma Stone as Gwen Stacey, Peter Parkers...First, Lady Love is...Spectacular!  Anne looks like a teen dressing as Catwoman, after seeing the...Michelle Pfeiffer's...PURRfect Performance as Selina Kyle!  I of course will see both in theaters this July!

Really should get rid of the post preview feature.

Quote:

Finally, the sequel/future talk:

-The reveal of Thanos is pitch perfect for comic fans, dammit; loved the narration leading up to the reveal, and that smile; holy shit, i cant believe they are actually teasing a "Infinity gauntlet" adaptation in the future.

To be fair, the hint was when they actually showed the Infinity Gauntlet in Thor kept under guard in Asgard with all the other relics. The cameo is more or less confirmation that Thanos will be a presence in future marvel films. I would not be surprised to see him in Thor 2.

Holy shit.

I've NEVER seen a reaction like that from a UK audience. Cheers, applause, and giant laughs throughout. This thing is going to be HUGE. Such a crowd-pleaser,

Another moment I loved that I don't think has been mentioned: Hulk going apeshit on that fighter plane, and catching the pilot. Beautiful.

Yes, Whedon used that trick "doing this, now it's weirder"  with the "catching the fighter pilot" shot and then amplified it for the climax.

Saw it today in a surprisingly packed 10:20am showing. Does this mean that I'm not the only person who took a day off from work to watch this?

I'm very impressed. It was pretty much everything that I wanted from a movie based on The Avengers. Do I think it was Joss Whedon's best movie? No, I think that would be Serenity. However, I do think it's one of the best superhero movies I've ever seen (and, on a personal level, I found it to be more satisfying than The Dark Knight). Whedon gets everything right about the characters and uses them in ways which matter. All of the best lines and scenes have already been mentioned here and so I won't repeat them, but those moments got a great reaction in my theatre (especially Loki discovering that Hulk doesn't really have the patience for long, drawn-out monologues). Special praise goes out to Tom Hiddleston who I thought was fantastic as Loki.

Very satisfied. Can't wait to buy it when it's released.

Well I wasn't expecting this but … I didn't love it.

But I really enjoyed it.

I think the film had problems getting off the ground. The initial sequence felt really lifeless and a little awkward. I couldn't understand the "it looks like TV" complaints before but for the first twenty minutes that's how it felt.

Once the team starts coming together though it soars and you realise that Whedon was born to do this. It's a film made up of moments, and they are moments that only he could have conjured. There are just so many little character beats that are true to the character and, nine times out of ten, laugh out load funny.

Stark, Rogers, Thor, Banner, I hate the term "ripped straight outta the comics" but with Marvel's casting and Whedon's writing these represent as perfect an adaptation of comic book character as I think we have seen.

I'll add another "awesome kid" story. About four seats to the left of me was a little boy, maybe 4 or 5 who was losing his fucking mind over the film. Screaming, laughing and shouting. His parents weren't even watching the film, they seemed mesmirised by him. When the Hulk roared at Stark to wake him up, the little boy ran down a few steps and roared back. The audience laughed at the Hulk and applauded the kid.

A lot of UK chewers are commenting on how unusually active their audiences were and it was true of mine too. This will be enormous!

I can't wait to take my 9-year-old daughter to see it. I think she's going to have a blast.

I think it's one of those movies you really need to see in a cinema.

I don't go to a lot of movies in the cinema but I'm damned glad that I went for this one. I'm not really talking about the spectacle on screen but the audience reactions around me. They cheered and laughed in all of the right places, and it really enhanced the experience for me.

Hulk's "interaction" with Thor at the conclusion of their battle against the invaders almost brought the house down. I thought nothing could top that until the scene where he also "interacted" with Loki. I've never heard so many people laughing together and clapping their hands in joy, even in a comedy movie.

So... are we still being nice to the people who have activated the "post preview" in their preferences?

Yeah. I think the Hulk vs. Loki beat is in the running for best movie moment of the year.

I think that we are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erix View Post

So... are we still being nice to the people who have activated the "post preview" in their preferences?

Yeah. I think the Hulk vs. Loki beat is in the running for best movie moment of the year.

Agreed!

Well I agree with everything I read here, a great fun experience, better lived in a packed theater (which is what I did yesterday)

I'm no Whedon expert but the Coulson death reminded me of Alan Tudyk's character death in SERENITY (see? I'm no Whedon expert -- don't even know the character name)

Can't wait to see it again (probably next week)

I think Black Widow could have done with less screentime, and more could have gone to Thor, or even Cap who I personally thought kinda was left behind in the 'being badass' parts where despite being a WWII veteran super soldier, BW and Hawkeye appeared to do a lot more asskicking than him.

Not really a spoiler but I'll keep doing this until May I guess...

What they showcased with Cap were his leadership skills. And he does get two great moments to shine. And giving less screen time to either Black Widow or Hawkeye would have really shortchanged them. They get the least amount as it is.

Anyway, we're in agreement that - great character balance aside - Hulk almost walks away with the movie, right? I love Ruffalo in this. He really took over the part and made it his. It's like I can't picture anyone else doing it now. Even though he's a supporting character, this is the best cinematic treatment they've given the character to date. They finally got him right.

This works this gangbusters, easily the best Marvel film.

Anyone else think the First Loki-Thor confrontation was better than anything in the Thor film?

Also good to see Skleator on from the old He Man movie getting work as Thanos' lackey.

Wonder what the producers of Man of Steel are thinking right now...

Feige are you reading this?

----

spoiler territory

I loved Banner arriving in that old/almost trash motorcycle, like my mind was filling with the circumstances on how he got that. Same with the coms, I like that they skipped the mandatory scene of the chief (Fury in this case) handling them the devices, or showing them the amazing helicarier...skip that, more character scenes.

Regarding Cap. leadership skills... I liked that any skills the heroes pose aren't showed like X-Men did. For example  the action stops, shows Wolverine is regenerating or healing, musical cue, ok let's fight again... repeat for every skill used.

Going back for a second viewing this arvo.  I just want to prove to myself that this thing is going to have a hell of a rewatchability factor.

Obligatory unrelated first sentence to keep those spoilers away from the poor people who haven't had a chance to see this movie yet.

Is it safe?

Okay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erix View Post

Not really a spoiler but I'll keep doing this until May I guess...

What they showcased with Cap were his leadership skills. And he does get two great moments to shine. And giving less screen time to either Black Widow or Hawkeye would have really shortchanged them. They get the least amount as it is.

Anyway, we're in agreement that - great character balance aside - Hulk almost walks away with the movie, right? I love Ruffalo in this. He really took over the part and made it his. It's like I can't picture anyone else doing it now. Even though he's a supporting character, this is the best cinematic treatment they've given the character to date. They finally got him right.

Totally in agreement with you on all counts there. I'm very pleased that Whedon took the time, during that battle scene, to show Cap's leadership skills in two distinct ways; with the everyday people and then with the other Avengers. Evans completely sold those moments to me and I didn't find myself wondering why the other Avengers would follow his orders; it just seemed totally right. Hawkeye could have actually done with more screen time but I'm happy with what we got.

And, yeah, I think we're pretty much agreed with Hulk as far as I can tell. Great to see him not only putting his rage to use against something other than tanks but also given more depth beyond the usual grunting, angry monster. That smile when Cap tells him "Hulk... smash!" was absolutely fantastic. Whedon made Hulk dangerous and funny, both at the same time, and he has my admiration for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Machine View Post

This works this gangbusters, easily the best Marvel film.

Anyone else think the First Loki-Thor confrontation was better than anything in the Thor film?

Pretty much everything was better in The Avengers than in the proceeding movies (and this is coming from someone who has enjoyed all of the Marvel movies since Iron Man). It makes me wonder whether future non-Avengers instalments will manage to meet the high bar set here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

I think it's one of those movies you really need to see in a cinema.

I don't go to a lot of movies in the cinema but I'm damned glad that I went for this one. I'm not really talking about the spectacle on screen but the audience reactions around me. They cheered and laughed in all of the right places, and it really enhanced the experience for me.

Hulk's "interaction" with Thor at the conclusion of their battle against the invaders almost brought the house down. I thought nothing could top that until the scene where he also "interacted" with Loki. I've never heard so many people laughing together and clapping their hands in joy, even in a comedy movie.

I think he has thing for Asgardians.

Loved Thor's quick reversal of 'support' for Loki after learning of the 80 dead. Possibly the best one liner in the movie.

It's pure entertainment and a great time at the movies. Huge crowd reaction. This is going to go really far. Really happy for Whedon.

You'd think that people would have had enough of silly spoilers. But I look around me and I see it isn't so,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Machine View Post

Wonder what the producers of Man of Steel are thinking right now...

They have a year still... But I imagine they're going to be making sure that the spectacle elements fucking deliver. And if the success of this has them fast tracking a Batman/Superman and subsequent JLA movie that can also be a good thing. Let's hope they're taking notes on how to do it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

Totally in agreement with you on all counts there. I'm very pleased that Whedon took the time, during that battle scene, to show Cap's leadership skills in two distinct ways; with the everyday people and then with the other Avengers. Evans completely sold those moments to me and I didn't find myself wondering why the other Avengers would follow his orders; it just seemed totally right.

It makes me wonder whether future non-Avengers instalments will manage to meet the high bar set here...

I stand corrected. Cap has three great moments. Before, I was referring specifically to his action scenes.

As far as your second concern... I think we have to look at the non-Avengers installments in much the same way you look at one shot comic stories. They're good but they're always small and personal. The individual movies are the places where there can be real character growth. That's the advantage. And they serve as appetizers for the big spectacle main course of the next Avengers movie, which is much like those special 64-page annuals. Or a major crossover. No character growth or development - just an event.

As long as they keep getting solid creative teams to work on the one shots, we'll be fine. People are going to be hungry for more glimpses of these characters. Iron Man 2 was a disappointment. But I'll bet you the third one gets a huge boost in expectations thanks to this. And the same goes for the next Thor and Cap adventures.

By the way, is there any truth to the rumor I've heard that Hulk may cameo in Iron Man 3? There are hints sprinkled throughout The Avengers... They really build up this great bromance between Stark and Banner. I'd love for them to follow through on that.

AA small sampling of how big this thing will be. It was the number 1 movie down here in NZ after only 1 day (ANZAC day public holiday)