Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE AVENGERS (2012) Post-Release
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post

I love the detours these superhero threads take after about 30 pages.

Now don't make me choose between Ran, Seven Samurai, Rashomon and Throne Of Blood.  I won't do it and you can't make me.

I'd go for Throne Of Blood, personally. So if you want to be cool like me so will you.

I've never seen Ran. I should see Ran. Really, really like Throne of Blood. Such a pretty movie.

AYou should see Ran. Run (don't walk) to see Ran. I wish I could see you see Ran. Especially if you think Throne of Blood is a pretty movie....you ain't seen nuthin' yet..
Quote:

Now don't make me choose between Ran, Seven Samurai, Rashomon and Throne Of Blood.  I won't do it and you can't make me.

Throne of Blood is so fucking good. Every theater, since its release, should be doing productions of Throne of Blood instead of Macbeth.

AThis is kinda random but, anybody remember when Michael Bay described the first Transformers as "Seven Samurai meets Close Encounters of the Third Kind"?

What an insulting and blasphemous comparison. I can't picture Michael Bay ever even watching The Seven Samurai..

I've always preferred Sanjuro to Yojimbo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fraid uh noman View Post

This is kinda random but, anybody remember when Michael Bay described the first Transformers as "Seven Samurai meets Close Encounters of the Third Kind"?

What an insulting and blasphemous comparison. I can't picture Michael Bay ever even watching The Seven Samurai..

I think Michael Bay is a hell of a lot smarter than we give him credit for. Which is probably why he remains relevant.

He's not really wrong about the basic premise of Transformers.  It is indeed a first contact story in which a band of warriors protect people from an invading force.

Oh, Michael Bay knows what he's doing.  It's just that what he does isn't really a GOOD thing.  Since I brought up Zhou's videos here, anyone who hasn't seen his video essay on Bay should check it out.

ADoesn't that very accurate video mean he DOESN'T know what he's doing? If every shot is designed for maximum visual impact because while doing commercials he learned to do nothing but money shots doesn't that make him kind of a bad filmmaker with no understanding of visual storytelling?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

Doesn't that very accurate video mean he DOESN'T know what he's doing? If every shot is designed for maximum visual impact because while doing commercials he learned to do nothing but money shots doesn't that make him kind of a bad filmmaker with no understanding of visual storytelling?

Considering the bank he makes, he knows exactly what he's doing because he knows exactly how to appeal to people. As shitty as it may be, you don't just luck into that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

He's not really wrong about the basic premise of Transformers.  It is indeed a first contact story in which a band of warriors protect people from an invading force.

Oh, Michael Bay knows what he's doing.  It's just that what he does isn't really a GOOD thing.  Since I brought up Zhou's videos here, anyone who hasn't seen his video essay on Bay should check it out.

Not gonna lie, that made me respect Bay a bit more. I may not like his movies, but I feel like I have some understanding of his methods. That, and I can't be bothered to muster up the same hate for him that I used to be able. Even if his movies piss me off--at least it's something. Can't say the same about the legion of modern day blockbusters that leave me indifferent.

Also, Pain and Gain is okay. Liked it a lot more when I watched it a second time.

Bay is hyper-competent creator of images.  When it comes to using those images to tell a story, he's a puddle of dogvomit.

Quote:

Bay is hyper-competent creator of images.  When it comes to using those images to tell a story, he's a puddle of dogvomit.

Oh absolutely.

Quote:

This. If you watch Zhou's piece on Kurosawa, you'll stop appreciating Bay so much. Kurosawa had meaning and intent behind every camera move and angle. Bay's style is just style. It's empty eye candy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

Doesn't that very accurate video mean he DOESN'T know what he's doing?

Yes.  He knows exactly what he's doing.  As far as he knows.

Considering the current discussion of cinematic storytelling, MIGHT AS WELL!