Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Elder Scrolls Online (Zenimax MMO)
Quote:

ZeniMax has this morning formally announced what the internet has been suspecting for months: The Elder Scrolls is going buy-to-play and dropping its required monthly subscription on March 17th for PC players, the same deal that will go live on June 9th for console players when it launches on PS4 and Xbox One.

Rebranded as The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited, ESO will still have an optional premium subscription membership called ESO Plus, which will provide "exclusive in-game bonuses, a monthly allotment of crowns to use in the store and access to all DLC game packs."

olid; border-width:0px 0px 0px 3px; color:rgb(102, 102, 102); margin:1.5em; padding-left:10px; vertical-align:baseline">The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited includes all the great gameplay from the original PC/Mac game, plus all the updates and content additions, including the exciting new Justice and Champion systems. All existing PC/Mac game accounts, open or closed, will be updated to the Tamriel Unlimited edition in March and former players will be invited back to the game at that time to experience all that is new in the world. New players will make a one-time purchase of the game and play, without restrictions, for as long as they like – without game subscription fees. Tamriel Unlimited will be supported with special, optional downloadable content available for purchase and an in-game Crown Store for convenience and customization items. Regular updates and new gameplay will be offered to all players to enjoy free of additional charges.

Wow. Who saw this coming???

It's incredible how forgotten this game is, and how little anyone talks about it, across the internet.

It's neither good nor bad enough to discuss. It merely exists.

Forgot all about this.  I might pick it up when it hits $10 just to give it a spin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

Forgot all about this.  I might pick it up when it hits $10 just to give it a spin.

Yeah, same here.

Elder Scrolls Online finally drops the ridiculous subscription fee idea and goes Buy To Play today. Gonna wait until it's cheaper and pick it up.

AGreat, now all they need to do is get rid of all the other people playing in your sandbox and they'll be right back where they were with regards to what people who actually play Elder Scrolls games want.

I might be interested. Is it going to be one of those situations where I'm constantly prompted to spend real money on "Ultra Septims" or something to buy better stuff, or pay 99 cents to hear M'aiq give me a hint?

I will say, I'm legitimately interested in playing an actual thief in an MMO setting, versus just having daggers and steal skills and being called a "thief".

I don't know if anyone else here watches the MMOGrinder videos where ChaosD1, with help from his Grindstone guild, looks at a specific MMO in great depth. He's just released a review of The Elder Scrolls Online and, if you're interested in the game and want to know what state it's in at the moment, I recommend taking a look.

The console version looks like a lot of fun. I've gone ahead and taken the plunge and preordered it for the XBox One. If anyone else is planning on picking it up and you're playing the Ebonheart Pact, holla at ya boy. I'm Deets327 on XBL.

APreordered it for the PS4 today. I digured it'll keep me busy until Fallout 4.

I have to say, I'm really impressed. It was a rocky launch and I wasn't able to finish downloading the update and start playing until around 7:30 last night, but the game feels exactly like a social version of Skyrim, on the console.

This is gonna be fun.

A friend said he gave it a shot yesterday but the server issues were making that troublesome.  His biggest complaint though was when he did manage a stretch of time he absolutely loathed the fact that as he came near other real players you could hear them talking on their mics.

"Hey, could you help me?  A little help please?  Wanna do this quest?" etc...

I felt that a social open world game should have a feature like this, I think at one point I wondered why something isn't available in Destiny.  He said it was the most annoying thing he's ever come across playing games like this.

There's no text chat -- it's all voice, which is an interesting change. I personally haven't found it annoying yet, and it's neat that distance plays a factor in who you can hear and who you can't. And you can always leave the public channel and only talk in group voice chat, if it really bothers you.

But so far, I'll take it over a scrolling chat window in the bottom of the screen filled with people spamming "WTB FLAMMING SWRORD +1" and "LVL 43 TANK LFG NO N00BZ". It's all about immersion an a super-clean UI.

I wish this was cross-platform. I'm keeping my eye out for this in the Steam summer sale but PC and consoles have separate servers from what I understand. Sad

I'm probably buying this tonight for the PS4.

AIf you run into an Orange Kahjit going by the name Dexterdog76 that'd be me.

Gave it a whirl for the first time this weekend on the PS4.  I like it.  If you like Skyrim and the other Morrowind games I cant imagine disliking this, unless you are just opposed to multiplayer in general.  The skill system is very in-depth and was a little intimidating at first...simply because it can be very easy to mismanage where you put your skill points.

The question is when it comes time to start doing dungeons, am I going to find enough players to do them with?  Everything is so new on the PS4 that it didn't seem that a lot of clans have been established as of yet.  Hopefully that will change by the time I reach dungeon levels.  The character I'm playing with now is going to eventually be a tanky Dragonknight, although currently I'm wrecking everything with a two-handed sword.

If anybody wants to partner up on this for the PS4 let me know.  I'm currently a level 9, but plan on leveling pretty fast.

Extremely disappointed in the dungeon finder system on the PS4.  Dave and I were in que for over an hour and didn't get into a dungeon despite being able to fill all the different roles needed.  Maybe it's just people don't que up for the low level dungeons, I would be interested in hearing about other people's experience about trying to que in higher-level dungeons.  I did some research last night and watched a couple of streams, it seems like people just walk into the dungeons in groups of less than 4 and are able to do it, so that may be an option too.

The PvP looks fantastic however.  Watched some PvP steams and it looked like a scene from Braveheart.  Twenty or so characters meeting on the battlefield...swords swinging, spells flying..lightning crashing from the heavens.  Pretty impressive stuff.

I just did the first dungeon in Stonefalls (Ebonheart territory) last night, and had a great experience. I didn't use the finder, I just grouped up with some people waiting outside the door. We tore through it, had a great healer and had some laughs along the way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.T. View Post

I just did the first dungeon in Stonefalls (Ebonheart territory) last night, and had a great experience. I didn't use the finder, I just grouped up with some people waiting outside the door. We tore through it, had a great healer and had some laughs along the way.

That's exactly what we are looking for.  Just seems odd that nobody uses the dungeon finder.

Well, you fools need to come to XBox, then!

AI don't like that it's an MMO. I just want a shared instance with one or more friends, like Borderlands for instance. Kills the moment to be going through a cave and seeing a dozen other players running around.

Also don't like each player having to turn in the quests and pick up the same quest items.

It's not as bad as World of Warcraft, Star Wars: TOR or Lord of the Rings Online.

Cities are populated yeah, but out in the field, it really does play like multiplayer Skyrim or Oblivion. I hate MMOs and I'm addicted to this one already because it's straight up Elder Scrolls with other people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

I don't like that it's an MMO. I just want a shared instance with one or more friends, like Borderlands for instance. Kills the moment to be going through a cave and seeing a dozen other players running around.

Also don't like each player having to turn in the quests and pick up the same quest items.

To me this is like just about every other Morrowind game ever made, except you have dungeon and PvP capabilities.  I feel like you could probably go thru the entire game without partnering up with anybody if you chose to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.T. View Post

Well, you fools need to come to XBox, then!

So disappointing.

Played for an hour yesterday.  Ran around the town at the beginning.  Think I stole too much shit as I died was killed by guards so many times the red circle in the bottom left of the screen went from 10-30+, whatever that means.

Stole a bottle of wine.

Quit because my eyes were sore and the back of my head felt like it was going to explode.  How long before it doesn't cause splitting headaches?

Don't have a clue what a few of the level up pop-ups were referring too.

Splitting headaches? You might have a condition, dude. Do you get headaches playing other games, too?

No, but a friend on Xbox says the same thing and he has played WoW, Skyrim and other games similar to this in the past.  It's very clunky moving around and I didn't feel good after playing.

Were you playing in 1st or 3rd person btw? Personally I play 95% of the time in a 1st person view as the animation in 3rd isn't quite as fluid as I'd like for this type of game. If just simply playing is what is giving you a headache, might want to try the other viewpoint. Also, stop stealing wine Smile

On a side note - Bob and I hung out at the dungeon entrance last night after Destiny runs and ran into another group of 2 who while still "fairly early" in their time clearly had spent some time farming. We ended up doing all three of the low-level dungeons and had really quite a good time. Went up 2 levels and netted the three skill points from the dungeons in the process. Sweet

So while the in-game LFG option can only be described as "broke as Hell" - that worked out quite well and I'd love to see a couple of more of our core group join us on the PS4 for something to do in addition to Destiny. I'm hardly over that game - but there is time for more than one at this point (and it's something to run when Destiny's servers go down)

I swapped a few times to try what I liked best but I think it was 3rd mostly unless the Guard chases automatically switch to that because I was getting arrested and killed most of the time.

IT WAS A QUEST!  I got 93 Drachmas or some shit for it.  Maybe something else but I couldn't tell.

If anyone's in the Ebonheart Pact, there are two awesome places for farming at any level. The first is the Northernmost island section of Bleakrock Isle. Run a circle around the shore -- there's tons of mudcrabs that drop rawhide scraps, maple logs for wood, iron deposits for... well, iron, and there's half a dozen spawns for runes and chests. Four or five laps around the island and you'll have a few runes and you'll be rollin' in low-level crafting materials.

If you're okay with thieving, go to Riften in the zone directly West of Stonefalls. Riften is a top-level zone and easily reached by low level characters. It has a large marketplace with several intermediate, advanced and simple chests that have high-level treasure that can be fenced for 250 gold a pop. Stealing the merchandise from the vendors and the guild merchants at the SW gate is a super fast and easy way to deconstruct armor and weapons for a TON of crafting resources or selling for gold.

I've made about 10,000 gold in the last three gaming sessions, and my bank account is packed with crafting material. But this stays between us, because I don't want my spots to get overrun by dudes.

I keep reading something about fences, when I would steal stuff, but didn't see one(hard to do when guards keep killing you).

Also, there are ton of bookshelves.  I feel an OCD need to read whatever is on them.  This isn't good I'd wager.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TzuDohNihm View Post

IT WAS A QUEST!  I got 93 Drachmas or some shit for it.  Maybe something else but I couldn't tell.

Okay - so I know you're a compulsive completionist but there are a few ways to approach that quest (especially considering how early in the game it is)

1. Skip it (you've seen what happens when you don't so you don't have to worry about your "complete everything" disorder

2. Look for a dialogue option that tells the guy to find a dark corner and self-fornicate

3. Come back when you're better equipped to steal something without getting caught.

I haven't spent nearly enough time in ESO to know if the Thieves' guild has a presence in the game or not (although I'm guessing they do). However, quests like this tend to be a starting line for it. At this point, I've just left the guy sitting by his fountain

I just spoke to the guy and all of a sudden I had something to do.  I didn't realize I was taking on a job so I figured I would complete it.

Okay, the quest to steal the bottle of wine from the dock bar is bugged. You need to wander outside and catch a rat, then let the rat loose in the bar to make the owner run off. But he practically warps to the center of the bar and then back again, so you have to be REALLY fast to snag the wine.

Also, there's no organized Thieves Guild in ESO, but there's havens for criminals where you can pay off your bounty and fence stolen goods. On the map, it's indicated by an icon that looks like a trident. It's usually located in towns near banks or crafting halls.