Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cord Cutting Do's and Don'ts - A CHUD Community Help Thread
Quote:

Originally Posted by wd40 View Post

I'd pay as long as it was really cheap. Otherwise, I can just wait until it hits Netflix. Supernatural, Crazy Ex Girlfriend, iZombie, Supergirl, and now The 100 (seriously, start watching it everyone)...arg

Yeah, Netflix actually has a great deal with the CW where a week after the finale it hits Netflix. My new thing is that I don't watch the season anymore until all the episodes have aired so it's prefect for me. Plus I don't have cable anymore.

Well, so far, this Roku Express stick is an unfettered piece of shit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post

Well, so far, this Roku Express stick is an unfettered piece of shit.

You're out of your mind.

This has to be a user problem (although I question why you would ever get the express stick for a non-portable display/TV when the superior options are only marginally more expensive).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord View Post

You're out of your mind.

This has to be a user problem (although I question why you would ever get the express stick for a non-portable display/TV when the superior options are only marginally more expensive).

It's a temporary measure until Spectrum gets their app working on Fire TV.  I didn't want to spend a ton on something.

So far every app I've used has frozen at some point, and the stick has lost internet connection three or four times.  When the Spectrum app doesn't freeze, the picture quality goes in and out.

That said, I just rebooted the stick and it's been running fine for about ten minutes now.

EDIT:  And of course as soon as I posted that, the picture quality took a dump.

I've never put any faith in anything with the word "Stick" in the description.

Seriously, these sticks just don't have it in them for wireless connectivity and heavy streming. It'll be 2.4Ghz and when your streaming some HD, it's got to get pretty hot, I would think. My Ultra gets fairly warm and I'm wired. My missus never has any issues with the Spectrum app and watches it for hours on end. It's depressing actually, considering the content I pay for. Saying that, I have a fair few friends running Roku sticks and they don't seem to have issues but they are fairly light users.

Honestly, I am perfectly happy with the speed of the apps on my xbox. Sling, CW, Hulu, Netflix...all run super quick and smooth.

Officially canceled my TV service with Comcast this afternoon. They are killing me on the shittiest internet service they have, but I have no other choices. I will be paying $66.95 a month for 60/5 MB. That should be sufficient, but since they love throttling me, I am sure I'll wish I was on dial-up. I'll be saving about 25-30 bucks a month.

Quote:

Officially canceled my TV service with Comcast this afternoon. They are killing me on the shittiest internet service they have, but I have no other choices. I will be paying $66.95 a month for 60/5 MB. That should be sufficient, but since they love throttling me, I am sure I'll wish I was on dial-up. I'll be saving about 25-30 bucks a month.

If you're under contract, once it expires, you should be able to get a deal closer to mine w/ them...

Same internet + local channels and HBO for free, for $58/mo.

60 Mb/s is enough to play 12 HD streams simultaneously, so you should be ok. Smile

I just moved away from 150 MB/s and I could barely hold onto a single stream with that speed. I have a stellar modem that I paid for, but if I could graph my connection it would look like a mountain range at sunset. Comcast just jacks with my connection allllll the time. I hate them so much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farsight View Post

If you're under contract, once it expires, you should be able to get a deal closer to mine w/ them...

Same internet + local channels and HBO for free, for $58/mo.

60 Mb/s is enough to play 12 HD streams simultaneously, so you should be ok. Smile

I pay $50 per month for 10 Mb/s and have to be happy about it. That's the best I can get where I live.

I think this can handle two SD streams, but I have yet to try it.

Quote:

I just moved away from 150 MB/s and I could barely hold onto a single stream with that speed. I have a stellar modem that I paid for, but if I could graph my connection it would look like a mountain range at sunset. Comcast just jacks with my connection allllll the time. I hate them so much.

Yeah, that's not your bandwidth, it's the latency. You should call them to test the lines, as it doesn't sound like something they'd do intentionally.

Their main avenue of preventing overuse is a data cap (1TB/month in most places), but with that, they -want- your connection to be perfect, so you can go over and pay extra.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electrichead View Post

I pay $50 per month for 10 Mb/s and have to be happy about it. That's the best I can get where I live.

I think this can handle two SD streams, but I have yet to try it.

That should handle two -HD- streams at once.

I think the only time I'd notice the difference between my 60Mb/s and your 10Mb/s is when downloading a huge file (like a game).

Most people (myself included) have (and pay for) waaaay more bandwidth than they use.

AThey've been out to test probably half a dozen times, but that specific info gives me more ammo. I'll contact them again. Thanks

Start pinging external addresses from a command prompt, open 3 or 4 windows and run those for at least 5 mins and look at the results you are look for low response times and zero packet loss. If you have any loss of high response it could be the lines, but if they passed (make sure you do not have a booster on the line though, or running through a splitter, well you can split once) I very much doubt it's that. It'll probably be a bad card or node at a head end but it could just be saturation in your area.

This is how you ping:

Open a command prompt (search command in Cortana or windows if you don't know how)

Type "ping http://www.google.com -t"

You should get a result that looks like this:

ping google.com -t

Pinging google.com [216.58.218.174] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 216.58.218.174: bytes=32 time=51ms TTL=46
Reply from 216.58.218.174: bytes=32 time=52ms TTL=46
Reply from 216.58.218.174: bytes=32 time=51ms TTL=46

It will keep going until you hit ctrl + c

You can also ping 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 which is Google's DNS servers.

Your results should look like:

Ping statistics for 216.58.218.174:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 51ms, Maximum = 52ms, Average = 51ms

0% loss is the key and probably between 30ms and 100ms.

If you want to get funky you can increase the byte size because that will also tell you it's more than likely a node issue.

Like this:

"ping google.com -l 1024 -t"

I wouldn't go higher than 1024 because the opposite party will probably block it anyway. You could try bigger on your ISP's DNS server though and see what it does.

You should get something like this...

Pinging google.com [216.58.218.174] with 1024 bytes of data:
Reply from 216.58.218.174: bytes=64 (sent 1024) time=52ms TTL=46
Reply from 216.58.218.174: bytes=64 (sent 1024) time=53ms TTL=46
Reply from 216.58.218.174: bytes=64 (sent 1024) time=55ms TTL=46
Reply from 216.58.218.174: bytes=64 (sent 1024) time=57ms TTL=46

Ping statistics for 216.58.218.174:
    Packets: Sent = 9, Received = 9, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 52ms, Maximum = 57ms, Average = 53ms

Again, you would have to hit ctrl + c to stop it.

The -t is to pin constantly and the -l is the size.

I've had to do this a bunch of times to prove issues on lines or with nodes.

I remember using ping years ago just to test if I set up my connection correctly. I didn't know about the extra shit, nor do I understand exactly what it means, but you've given me a lot to work with. Thanks to all that have helped.

The ping test is a good one.

A couple other things to note/try, if you haven't already:

I assume you get this issue on multiple devices (to verify it can't be a problem with just one device or PC). If unsure, test with the devices you don't normally use.

Power cycle the modem, router and device you watch on. Test.

If your router is separate from your modem, remove the router and connect the modem directly to your device. Test.

Check for firmware updates for your modem and router. If there is a new one, apply it. Test.

This all stuff Comcast is likely to ask you to do, so checking it ahead of time can speed up the process of getting them to look at their end.

Gotcha, will try that. It is across all types of devices. I have a separate modem and router -- I dealt with two much shit when I had a combo. I've tried hardwiring in, and that's a little more consistent, but not significantly so.

My Roku seems to  be behaving itself now.  And it turns out I have a Samsung Smart TV in my bedroom, so I can load the Spectrum app right onto it, and it's been smooth as glass on there.

AHulu's inability to notify me of new episodes even though I have it turned on is aggravating as hell. Arg.

ETA: ah, I guess every episode has to be watched for the notification to work. And there is no way to mark a show as watched. Arg again.
Wife started using the Plex server to watch recorded shows from the OTA and was happy with the performance. I have also ripped just over 200 movies now to my server. And I still have like 200+ to go. Lol.
So I decided to see what this Sling Tv was all about as one of my Uncles was raving to me about it, and I'd seen it mentioned here in this thread. Earlier this evening I bought a Roku Express while the wife, daughter, and I were at Target. I did this because I had read online that Sling Tv had an offer where if you purchased a Roku device and activated it, Sling Tv would offer a $50 credit for a new subscriber. That sounded like a great deal to me, so I signed up for the $25 Sling Blue plan. I'm checking it out right now, and I have to say, my Uncle and everyone else who has talked about Sling Tv is right. It's pretty damn cool to have the channels I've been wanting to have, AMC and Sci-Fi, along with stuff I've been wanting to see like El Rey on here for only $25.

Spectrum is our internet provider, and their cable bundles have something like El Rey in the higher tiers. I'm going to give it the two months, but I'm liking what I'm seeing, and I just may keep it. Between Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Sling Tv I feel that I've got all bases covered.
Shake: I bring you news you give me grief. You know they all think you're dead.

The Punisher: They'll kill each other now.

I'm thinking more about switching to Sling TV myself.

It would save me about $100 a month. It's the DVR problem that I have to work out.
My PSN ID - electrichead72-----------------------------------------I'm not dumb! I'm smart! and I want respect!
Sling Tv has a Cloud DVR for $5 a month, but I don't know how reliable it is, and personally I've never had a DVR before, and it seems like that's $5 for me I could save, but I know there's plenty of other folks who love having a DVR.

Honestly, if whatever streaming service you use is accepted a valid cable provider, you'd have access to all the networks' streaming apps, so there's really no need for a DVR function.

Updating my Roku adventures, my Stick is nigh unusable at this point. I have to hard re-start it pretty regularly, and even then, I'll maybe get three or four hours of out if before it starts hanging up and reloading every few minutes. And this is on all apps, not just the Spectrum one. It's no more than three feet away from my router, so it's not a WiFi issue; my TV in my bedroom is further away and picks up the signal with zero issues. So until Spectrum gets their app to play nice with Amazon devices, I pretty much can't use the service on my big TV without casting from a phone.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
I don't really use the DVR at all, as I usually see everything after the fact online, but for my wife and kids, not sure if they could do without it.

Even for the extra $5 I'd be saving a lot of money.
My PSN ID - electrichead72-----------------------------------------I'm not dumb! I'm smart! and I want respect!
(03-30-2018, 02:12 PM)electrichead Wrote: I don't really use the DVR at all, as I usually see everything after the fact online, but for my wife and kids, not sure if they could do without it.

Even for the extra $5 I'd be saving a lot of money.

Unless you watch a lot of live events on a delay (like sports), it's amazing how quickly a DVR feels like a VCR.

I was a kid when VCRs hit, and I recorded a LOT. Then we got DVRs and I was one of the first adopters (Tivo!) and at the time it seemed as essential as electricity. At the end, we had a whole-home DVR stuffed with hundreds of hours of shows that was the only way anyone watched anything.

A couple years ago I ditched cable for streaming, and today a DVR would feel like a nuisance. Everything that matters is On Demand (even my baseball games), and the rare thing that's not On Demand is instantly less interesting.
Gamertag: Tweakee
(03-30-2018, 05:09 PM)farsight Wrote: A couple years ago I ditched cable for streaming, and today a DVR would feel like a nuisance. Everything that matters is On Demand (even my baseball games), and the rare thing that's not On Demand is instantly less interesting.

that's about it for me. I can catch new shows on Hulu or go to the specific channel's site and stream it. It's just a matter of opening that up to my kids to access the channels and learn how to get to it. easier for them to have DVR and I can monitor ratings and what they are watching.

My wife wouldn't even try.

it's something worth thinking about though.
(03-30-2018, 05:29 PM)electrichead Wrote: that's about it for me. I can catch new shows on Hulu or go to the specific channel's site and stream it. It's just a matter of opening that up to my kids to access the channels and learn how to get to it. easier for them to have DVR and I can monitor ratings and what they are watching.

Hulu and Netflix both let you make a kids profile with parental controls on.

A few years ago, my elderly mom didn't use any electronics other than her DVR and DVD player. Now she has a call phone, two tablets and a Roku for TV.

People adapt if it's beneficial to do so. Especially if you point out that the savings will pay for a trip by the end of the year...
(03-30-2018, 01:46 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: Honestly, if whatever streaming service you use is accepted a valid cable provider, you'd have access to all the networks' streaming apps, so there's really no need for a DVR function.

Updating my Roku adventures, my Stick is nigh unusable at this point.  I have to hard re-start it pretty regularly, and even then, I'll maybe get three or four hours of out if before it starts hanging up and reloading every few minutes.  And this is on all apps, not just the Spectrum one.  It's no more than three feet away from my router, so it's not a WiFi issue; my TV in my bedroom is further away and picks up the signal with zero issues.  So until Spectrum gets their app to play nice with Amazon devices, I pretty much can't use the service on my big TV without casting from a phone.

We've got a Roku Express+ in the living room and I just bought a Roku Express for my game room, and the Express+ is about 2 years old at this point and still going strong. I find it really weird though that the Express models are the "low end" ones priced at $30, and the Roku Sticks are $50. Especially if they're as unreliable as the one you have. That really does suck that you have a lot of trouble with it.

Speaking of streaming issues, just this morning we were having issues with the Sony blu-ray player I just bought on Black Friday that has wi-fi. Despite it saying it was connected, it still wouldn't start up Netflix. It's updated, so the only thing I can think of is because it's on the other side of the house and farther away from my wi-fi router which is on the opposite end of the house.

(03-30-2018, 08:01 PM)farsight Wrote:
(03-30-2018, 05:29 PM)electrichead Wrote: that's about it for me. I can catch new shows on Hulu or go to the specific channel's site and stream it. It's just a matter of opening that up to my kids to access the channels and learn how to get to it. easier for them to have DVR and I can monitor ratings and what they are watching.

Hulu and Netflix both let you make a kids profile with parental controls on.

A few years ago, my elderly mom didn't use any electronics other than her DVR and DVD player. Now she has a call phone, two tablets and a Roku for TV.

People adapt if it's beneficial to do so. Especially if you point out that the savings will pay for a trip by the end of the year...

Yeah, we have a Kids profile for my daughter and profiles for both my wife and I on Netflix, and for Hulu my wife and I both have profiles. That option for profiles really does help out a lot. Hulu has pretty much taken care of any of our television show needs, and my wife is always happy to save a few bucks, so us not needing a DVR is a good thing from a financial standpoint.

Roku update: finally solved the problem. My router is both 5g and 2g and it turns out the 5g was interfering with the Roku Stick's reception. Shut off the 5g and it's been smooth sailing. Of course, it sucks that I can't use the router the way it's meant to be used...
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
Sounds like something they might be able to fix with a software update down the road, whichever device is actually at fault..
Just a random thing for the Cord Cutters out there--History of the World Pt 1 was on IFC this weekend, so I went looking for it streaming last night. It is FREE on archive.org. That is crazy! I even downloaded it last night to put on my Plex server so I can watch it later.

(04-02-2018, 08:16 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: Roku update:  finally solved the problem.  My router is both 5g and 2g and it turns out the 5g was interfering with the Roku Stick's reception.  Shut off the 5g and it's been smooth sailing.  Of course, it sucks that I can't use the router the way it's meant to be used...

That is a similar reason why I stopped using Chromecast. I also have a router that does 5g and 2g, and my phone would randomly decide to switch from one to the other, and if it's not on the same network as the Chromecast, it would stop casting.