Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cord Cutting Do's and Don'ts - A CHUD Community Help Thread
Anyone else with a FireTV/Stick/Cube have issues last night with Alexa? Every time we asked something, like to find a movie, it just paused, and then said "I can't do that right now. Please try again later." I restarted the cube, and even tried using the remote's voice command, but it never worked.
FYI-
Quote:We regret to inform you that FilmStruck will be shutting down. Our last day of service will be November 29, 2018, and we are currently no longer enrolling new subscribers.

https://www.filmstruck.com/us/

I'm getting scared about TCM's continued existence.
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
Started the 5-day Vue trial tonight. Good so far!
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

(10-26-2018, 09:44 PM)vtran Wrote: FYI-
Quote:We regret to inform you that FilmStruck will be shutting down. Our last day of service will be November 29, 2018, and we are currently no longer enrolling new subscribers.

https://www.filmstruck.com/us/

I'm getting scared about TCM's continued existence.
Same here. This feels like a death blow to our cinematic heritage. Genuinely depressing.
I think TCM will be fine as long as traditional cable is a main player.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
People have been clamoring forever for TCM to start up an HBO Now equivalent that lets you subscribe to them directly without a cable company. I wonder if that's something they might consider.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
Picked up a TCL Roku TV from Costco for Black Friday. It has a whole guide and everything when you hook up an antenna, which is pretty cool. Going out today to buy a small USB thumb drive so I can pause and rewind live TV on it. My wife said, I don't know how I feel about you having a big TV in there. Lol.
Im assuming everyone here got in on the Hulu deal. Im not in love with it but for a dollar a month it's pretty good.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
I did not! What was the Hulu deal? I already have Hulu, so that may be why I didn't hear about it.
Basically you can get the entry-level Hulu service for a dollar a month.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Ah. Hulu has turned into the binge machine. My son is watching Cutthroat Kitchen and The Regular Show, my wife and I are watching Travel Man, and I'm watching American Dad.
Yes, Hulu has a lot of TV on it.

You can pick up here what isn't on Netflix.
My PSN ID - electrichead72-----------------------------------------I'm not dumb! I'm smart! and I want respect!
I've always liked Hulu, but my tastes are probably a bit different than most. That semi obscure foreign movie I wanted to check out, some kickass little anime horror that someone recommended on the boards, random British comedy show that I want to catch but it is not quite big enough to get love from Netflix. Etcetc. Hulu is how I first found Nathan for You and Review (and the original Review with Myles Barlow!). Plus they've always been pretty generous with the free trials when I haven't subscribed for a while
I love Hulu. It has so many shows on it from my childhood that aren't on dvd, or had one or two seasons released on dvd, and that was it for physical media for them. I mean I was pretty surprised when I found that they have the complete series' of Weird Science and Step By Step on there.
Shake: I bring you news you give me grief. You know they all think you're dead.

The Punisher: They'll kill each other now.

Roku owners keep an eye out for holiday themed ads promoting free Fandango Now credit, mine had the Duracell logo on it but I think there are different companies involved with it. Got $4.99 for nothing, will probably use it to watch The Nun.
Thanks for the tip.
My PSN ID - electrichead72-----------------------------------------I'm not dumb! I'm smart! and I want respect!
Just bought a new 24" TV for my computer room--that's the only size that will fit where I have the mount, and it has FireTV built-in. The old TV still looked fine, but something was wrong with the HDMI ports where you'd be watching something and the screen would go black for 3-5 seconds and then come back. Whatever you're watching would keep playing. It has an antenna guide built-in with it, like the Roku TV, and that's great. Every Sunday night I would go in there and turn it to NBC to watch football. And I only paid $99 for the TV--was on sale at Best Buy and got it with leftover birthday money. It's weird now when I walk through electronics stores--I literally have no need for a new TV for a while, for anything.

I think I'm going to chuck my soundbar I was using with the old TV--the sound on that TV could never get loud enough, but on this new TV, it seems like it's pretty good. Will either donate the sound bar to Goodwill or will move to my other TV in my office.

I'm reviewing my "cord-cutting" moves and now I have a smart TV in every room except my bedroom, but that TV is a 4K TV connected to a Roku box. Pretty happy with my decisions.
groovy....

https://www.criterionchannel.com/
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
I finally got that sweet, sweet, unlimited data on my Xfinity connection. 250 mb/s download. I negotiated my face off and we went from 100 to 250 download, got unlimited data, and got "Instant TV" with Starz free for 12 months. The Instant TV is kinda lame--just basic channels (with music!) but no app for FireTV, a Beta app for Roku, and you can't cast from your phone. Oh, and you can't watch it unless you're on your home internet. But, worth for the no data cap. Will be downloading lots of movies now using PlayOn for my Media Server.
Nice work
*womp womp*

My cable provider has started to bullshit me, and I was recommended this thread. Enlightene me.
Git' in under mah belly!
(03-09-2019, 08:36 AM)cd underbelly Wrote: *womp womp*

My cable provider has started to bullshit me, and I was recommended this thread. Enlightene me.

Ummmmm get a Roku Box and possibly an antenna?
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
And remember, you do not need a Playstation to use Playstation Vue.

Upgraded my router last night to a Netgear Nighthawk XR500. My router was 4+ years old and my son was having issues with some of his online games (mainly Apex Legends). I compared mesh network vs a new router, and they both cost about the same amount in the end. Seems to be working great--my son jumped on Apex for a few minutes with a friend and they were doing well until the rest of their team was killed. And my son was up until 2:30 AM playing games (which he hadn't stayed up past 12:30 the past few weeks). So I'm assuming things were working well. I used the Geo-Filter stuff and also prioritized his machine for data. I watched some TV, and things seemed to pop a bit quicker. We'll see how it goes.

(03-09-2019, 08:36 AM)cd underbelly Wrote: *womp womp*

I would recommend Roku over Amazon Fire TV. I was a big Fire TV advocate for a long time, but after using a Fire Stick, a FireTV Box (discontinued), FireTV Cube, and a smart TV with Fire TV built in, their software is too buggy. They all end up having the same problem--after a time of use, it will freeze up and you have to reboot. I moved my Cube off the main TV downstairs because it just kept freezing and I've had it not even a year yet. I got a smart FireTV in January, and it started freezing. I replaced it this weekend with a TCL Roku TV. I now have a Roku Ultra on my main TV, and two TCL Roku TVs. And the Roku TVs have a great antenna guide built-in and if you add a thumb drive you can pause live TV.

For the antenna, you can visit tvfool.com and see what channels you'd be able to get. Really good antennas on Amazon are as cheap as $35. You just have to figure out a place to put it--I put mine in my attic after the roof didn't work out for me because of the grounding issue. Works great in there--I just wired it to the outside cable input so it went to the rest of the house. If you want a DVR for the antenna, you can get one for around $100-$150. Or you can invest in a TV adapter and Plex and put it on a PC for about the same amount.
After 19 years, switched from DirecTV service to PSVue streaming though an Amazon Firestick in one room and a Roku stick in the other. The PSVue service is fine; though I don't love the cloud DVR (some random networks let you skip commercials, some don't, and sometimes things don't record), I do love the fact that my monthly bill went from $170 to $80, and I still have the HBOs and other premium options.

I've thus far noticed very little difference between the Firestick and the Roku Stick.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

Speaking of DirecTV Now, they're creating a new basic tier that includes HBO but loses ten channels like AMC and Lifetime ... for $10 more than the original basic tier. Those of us in that tier are seeing our price go up $10 as well.

----------

I'm waiting for Vue to do their next price change...I probably will look hard at YouTube TV or Hulu Live TV if they do so. Although my wife is like, "Didn't we just change to Vue? I just got used to this interface." Yeah we changed about 2 years ago.
sweet jeebus...not this shit -again.

Will Viacom Channels Go Dark On DirecTV?
Vue doesn't have Viacom channels either. I thought it would bug me, but I really don't notice it. Every now and then I realize that Comedy Central isn't available to me, but most of their stuff ends up on YouTube on their channel anyway.
Comcast is selling its stake in Hulu to Disney, with Disney to take over operation of the service effective immediately.

Comcast is getting a nice chunk of change out of the deal -- Disney will pay Comcast for its Hulu content for the next five years, after which Comcast has the option to sell its stake at a valuation of around $27 billion.

Disney also made Comcast blink on the price for its upcoming streaming service; it's apparently dropping from $15.99 to $9.99 a month.

----------

I wonder if they will pull any NBC programming from Hulu. The article made the NBCUniversal service sound dumb. If you don't have service already, then the new service offers you nothing, unless they are planning to do some original programming a la CBS.
(05-14-2019, 02:55 PM)martianman Wrote: I wonder if they will pull any NBC programming from Hulu. The article made the NBCUniversal service sound dumb. If you don't have service already, then the new service offers you nothing, unless they are planning to do some original programming a la CBS.

Somewhere in the halls of NBC, there are VP's trying to get the casts of Friends and Seinfeld on the phone...
It sounds like the paid version of the service gets you stuff, but the free version requires a cable account.

----------

(05-14-2019, 03:08 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: It sounds like the paid version of the service gets you stuff, but the free version requires a cable account.

Right. And in the article it says that the paid version won't let you watch same season shows--that's kind of lame. And it even states, 'In effect, only pay TV subscribers will be able to get the fully featured streaming service from NBCUniversal.' So if you pay NBC directly for their app, you get less than if you paid for regular TV and log into their free app.
Well, Comcast IS a cable company, they're not going to help you cut the cord!

I'm honestly hoping we get it for free as employees. We already get stupid discounts on Comcast cable and internet (if I could just find out where in town they provide service to).

----------

When I worked at Cox Cable right after college, I got my cable for free, and they just started coming out with the set top boxes that controlled everything. So since I was in IT, we had to "monitor" all the channels including PPV, so all of us (plus management) had our boxes set to receive all programming. Needless to say for that year, my house was the place to be for all boxing, wrestling, and UFC events, including watching UFC 1! I also had DCR, which was Digital Cable Radio...a pre-cursor to Sirius, etc. where you had a set top box that you plugged into your stereo and had all kinds of channels and ZERO commercials or DJs. When I used to drive back to my parents about 2 1/2 hours away, the day prior I would set up a cassette tape to record programming on the metal channel for 90 minutes and then listen to that on the drive.