Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cord Cutting Do's and Don'ts - A CHUD Community Help Thread
Welp, here it comes--got the expected email from Sony today telling me that my Vue package was going up $5/mo starting in August. They have "added channels to the line up including CuriosityStream, beIN Sports, BabyFirst, and moved Tennis Channel to a wider audience." Hey, a bunch of channels I don't care about! We may play around with Hulu Live again or take a look at YouTube TV, which is what a friend has.

Oh, and the Amazon Recast (the Amazon Fire TV with a DVR function for OTA broadcasts) is on sale for $129.99.
it's just pure greed...

Quote:Streaming TV is about to get very expensive – here's why
With Disney, Apple and others about to launch their own services, a lot of your favourite shows are likely to vanish behind paywalls. The golden age of streaming is over

The most watched show on US Netflix, by a huge margin, is the US version of The Office. Even though the platform pumps out an absurd amount of original programming – 1,500 hours last year – it turns out that everyone just wants to watch a decade-old sitcom. One report last year said that The Office accounts for 7% all US Netflix viewing.

So, naturally, NBC wants it back. This week, it was announced that Netflix had failed to secure the rights to The Office beyond January 2021. The good news is that it will still be available to watch elsewhere. The bad news is that “elsewhere”, means “the new NBCUniversal streaming platform”.

As a viewer, you are right to feel queasy. The industry-disrupting success of Netflix means that everybody wants a slice of the pie. Right now, things are just about manageable – if you have a TV licence, a Netflix subscription, an Amazon subscription and a Now TV subscription, you are pretty much covered – but things are about to take a turn for the worse.

In November, Disney will launch Disney+, a streaming platform that will not only block off an enormous amount of existing content (Disney films, ABC shows, Marvel and Pixar films, Lucasfilm, The Simpsons and everything else made by 20th Century Fox), but will also offer a range of new scripted Marvel shows that will directly inform the narrative of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Essentially, if you want to understand anything that happens in any Marvel film from this point onwards, you’ll need to splash out on a Disney+ subscription.

Apple will also be entering the streaming market at about the same time, promising new work from Sofia Coppola, Jennifer Aniston, Oprah Winfrey, Reese Witherspoon, Brie Larson, Damien Chazelle and Steven Spielberg. In the next three years, Apple will spend $4.2bn on original programming, and you won’t get to see any of it if you don’t pay a monthly premium.
[cont]
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
One service a month, see 'em all! It's the future, baby!
Gamertag: Tweakee
Folks are just begging for an streaming service/channel aggregator application. I know they make ones that take you to links but I don't think there is one that takes you directly to the content from a TV app.
That would be nice. Looking through all the different services trying to figure out where you can find something is a pain.

would be nice to have that in one place and then links you to where it's streaming.

The Roku search does something like that, but I'm not sure if it includes all of the available services in its search.
My PSN ID - electrichead72-----------------------------------------I'm not dumb! I'm smart! and I want respect!
The Just Watch app is pretty much what you're describing.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Thanks, I'd forgotten about that site.

Seems like it will do what I'm looking for.
My PSN ID - electrichead72-----------------------------------------I'm not dumb! I'm smart! and I want respect!
I still say it's all just a long con to drive people back to cable/satellite.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
(07-08-2019, 06:54 AM)Richard Dickson Wrote: I still say it's all just a long con to drive people back to cable/satellite.

Except when the cable/satellite companies are fucking over their viewers...

Quote:CBS Is Blacked Out for 6.5 Million AT&T Customers. Here’s Why.
July 20, 2019

CBS, the nation’s most-watched television network, went dark for more than 6.5 million AT&T customers early Saturday after the two media giants couldn’t agree on a new contract.
The network, with hits like “Big Brother,” and Stephen Colbert’s “Late Show,” was cut off from AT&T’s satellite service DirecTV as well as the landline-delivered U-verse and DirecTV Now, the live streaming product.
[cont.]
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of fighting, price hikes, price cuts, services cut, etc. coming up while all these companies fight it out over the streaming services and what content they're going to have.
My parents actually bought the CBS All Access thing and have enjoyed it after this latest Dish fight. And Fox Sports southeast is also off Dish and has lost the playoff-driving Braves much to my mom's chagrin. Unfortunately the only way they can get that is to do YouTube TV, Hulu Live, etc. and she doesn't want to do that with less than 2 months left. But she's mad enough that when she gets her bill she's going to call Dish and tell them she's not paying the whole thing because she's not getting all the channels that she's paying for. I gave them shit on Twitter and of course they replied with the stock post of "It's Fox Sports' fault". I said my 76-year old mother doesn't care what you're fighting about, all she knows is you aren't showing the Braves.
that's the kick in the balls. They drop channels, but not the price.

Then they add channels that are shit and worthless and are like "look at all these sweet new channels you get with no price increase".

My wife is not happy that we cut the cord, but even with the subscriptions that we have had to get to be close to what we had with Dish, I'm still paying half of what I was before.
AppleTV

First shows available November 1

For a family subscription.

$4.99/month

when you buy an iPhone, iPad, Mac, or Apple TV, you get 1 year free.
So NBCUniversal's streaming service will be called ... Peacock.

That ... that's definitely a choice.

Original programming will include a Battlestar Galactica reboot from Mr. Robot's Sam Esmail and original comedies from Mike Schur and Ed Helms, a new Psych movie, and an adaptation of Brave New World.  Plus tons of old NBC and Universal content.  No pricing yet, but there'll be ad-supplemented and subscription models available.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
I think that the main reason that all these networks are going the streaming route is to control all their old, syndicated content.

While there will still be older tv shows broadcast in syndication, if you want to watch any of the shows from the last few decades, you are going to have to sign up for a specific streaming channel. The tv networks want more $$$ and exclusivity is the one way they can get it.

CBS streaming will be the only place to watch Twilight Zone/Star Trek. NBC streaming (Peacock?!WTF) will eventually be the only place to watch older episodes of Friends/TheOffice/etc

It's the wave of the future when it comes to watching and I don't see any of the networks wanting to go back to the old (syndication) model in the near future.
(09-17-2019, 11:02 AM)Richard Dickson Wrote: So NBCUniversal's streaming service will be called ... Peacock.

Immediately thought of Jack Donaghy saying "We peacock comedy! You say the peacock!"