Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Young Americans abandon God in droves

I just saw read this....

Quote:

Mormons quit church in mass resignation ceremony

(Reuters) - A group of about 150 Mormons quit their church in a mass resignation ceremony in Salt Lake City on Saturday in a rare display of defiance ending decades of disagreement for some over issues ranging from polygamy to gay marriage.

Participants from Utah, Arizona, Idaho and elsewhere gathered in a public park to sign a "Declaration of Independence from Mormonism."

"This feels awesome," said Alison Lucas, from West Jordan, Utah, who took part in the rally amid soaring temperatures. "I don't know if I would have had the courage except in a group."

The Utah-based Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is known for its culture of obedience, and the mass ceremony was a seldom-seen act of collective revolt.

<cont.>

also Special report -Mormonism besieged by the modern age

Just stumbled across this thread...

VTRan, do you seriously not understand how someone can be correct and still be a smug, patronizing asshole? Like you're being?

I agree with Michael Moore's politics, that doesn't mean I don't want to slap the guy sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Prankster View Post

Just stumbled across this thread...

VTRan, do you seriously not understand how someone can be correct and still be a smug, patronizing asshole? Like you're being?

I agree with Michael Moore's politics, that doesn't mean I don't want to slap the guy sometimes.

are we dragging this back up after several weeks....? I had to reread it to refresh my memory.

One person's 'smug'.....

To a degree I was playing "devil's advocate" here,  but the truth is, I'm not going to be losing any sleep if someone thinks I'm "smug".

Hell(s), if it's coming from someone entrenched in organized religiosity, I'll wear that badge proudly.

When it comes to being patronizing...I have little patience when it comes to dealing with those individuals that like to paint themselves as "religious" especially since I have found most to be woefully ignorant of "their religion" to say nothing of "other peoples" religions...and don't get me started on the amount of hypocrisy present...sweet zombie jeebus." id="yui_3_4_1_1_1344805755530_1729" rel="http://files.chud.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif">

So, what you may call patronizing, I'll call aggressive textual impatience with a "I drank too much coffee" chaser. 

As far as MM goes, I've never really thought of him as being 'smug'....I view him as being confident and unapologetic with his opinions.    

As far as slapping goes....the only two people that come to mind who, IMO, need a good slapping are Limbaugh and O'Reilly....ok, and maybe Coulter.

Smile

A[quote name="VTRan" url="/community/t/143937/young-americans-abandon-god-in-droves/50#post_3372446"]One person's 'smug'.....

To a degree I was playing "devil's advocate" here, but the truth is, I'm not going to be losing any sleep if someone thinks I'm "smug".
Hell(s), if it's coming from someone entrenched in organized religiosity, I'll wear that badge proudly.

When it comes to being patronizing...I have little patience when it comes to dealing with those individuals that like to paint themselves as "religious" especially since I have found most to be woefully ignorant of "their religion" to say nothing of "other peoples" religions...and don't get me started on the amount of hypocrisy present...sweet zombie jeebus.Big Grin

So, what you may call patronizing, I'll call aggressive textual impatience with a "I drank too much coffee" chaser. :eek:[/quote]
So all you have to do in order to not be an arrogant twit is define your behavior as "not arrogant," with an added "and it wouldn't matter if I was because it's against people I don't like?"

Good to know, I'll file that one away for future reference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post

So all you have to do in order to not be an arrogant twit is define your behavior as "not arrogant," with an added "and it wouldn't matter if I was because it's against people I don't like?"
Good to know, I'll file that one away for future reference.

....now who's being "smug"?

Smile

Think Progress: "Religious progressives will soon outnumber conservatives"

Also, from the associated survey press release:

Quote:

“Our new research shows a complex religious landscape, with religious conservatives holding an advantage over religious progressives in terms of size and homogeneity,” said Dr. Robert P. Jones, CEO of Public Religion Research Institute. “However, the percentage of religious conservatives shrinks in each successive generation, with religious progressives outnumbering religious conservatives in the Millennial generation.

Religious progressives are significantly younger and more diverse than their conservative counterparts. The mean age of the religious progressive population is 44 – just under the mean age in the general population of 47 – while the mean age of religious conservatives is 53. Twenty-three percent of Millennials (ages 18-33) are religious progressives, while 17 percent are religious conservatives. Among Millennials, there are also nearly as many nonreligious (22 percent) as religious progressives. Conversely, 12 percent of the Silent Generation (ages 66-88) are religious progressives, while 47 percent are religious conservatives. One-in-ten (10 percent) of the Silent Generation are nonreligious.

...time to move to more fertile hunting grounds.

Brazil's Evangelicals A Growing Force In Prayer, Politics

Google 'evangelical christian' and 'Africa' for more info on where the fundies are concentrating these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMR View Post

Think Progress: "Religious progressives will soon outnumber conservatives"

Also, from the associated survey press release:

I'm not sure this is less about the generation and more about the demographic. We'll see how progressive they are when they enter their 50's.

Here are some youngish Americans who still love God:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/10...ostpopular

ATax payers have to fund their return to the US, even after they set sail in a flimsy sail boat to see "where god sent them"? If only Pluto had answered their prayers and sunk that boat we'd all have been better off.

Also they accepted help from Canadians who also have abortions and homosexuals. If they had faith in god, they'd have sailed on their merry way.

Sadly, all of those things will go right over their heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Harford View Post

Tax payers have to fund their return to the US, even after they set sail in a flimsy sail boat to see "where god sent them"? If only Pluto had answered their prayers and sunk that boat we'd all have been better off.

Also they accepted help from Canadians who also have abortions and homosexuals. If they had faith in god, they'd have sailed on their merry way.

Just cuz

Creationist explains why dragons are actually real creatures

ADragons are no dumber a thing to believe in than angels or the afterlife or miracles or intelligent design itself, and I'm delighted that one former creationist has finally seen things our way and begun expressing skeptical ideas through his ironic performance art.

That is what he was doing, wasn't it?

It's not quite Lady Gaga walking around the forest naked 'performance art' but...baby steps.

or

This is just his 'pitch' to try get the syndication rights to Game of Thrones for the Christian Broadcasting Network.

Smile

Hemant Mehta on rising atheism among millenials: ‘It’s not that Christianity is unpopular, it’s that it’s untrue.’

Quote:

“Not all the millenials who are leaving church are necessarily flocking to atheism. But if you ask young people, if you ask millenials what comes to mind when they think of Christianity, when they think of the church, they will tell you it’s anti-gay, anti-doubt, anti-woman, anti-science, anti-sex education,” Mehta said. “We all know what the church is against, and we really don’t care what the church is for when you have that much baggage.”

unrelated...man CNN sucks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMR View Post

While commenters cite reaction to the Religious Right as the cause, I still say the existence of the Internet has been the major factor in normalizing the nonreligious point of view.

And here's a computer scientist agreeing with me:

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/526...-religion/

Here's a young American who certainly has a strong reason to abandon her religion, if she so chooses:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/watch-sic...-medicine/

Quote:

Had they sought professional help for their daughter, she claims, her congenital heart defect could have been treated. Now, she is out of breath and in pain and uses a breathing machine, which is why she wants to see her parents prosecuted.

They should go to jail for child abuse. Quite simple.

Southern Baptist membership down for the 12th straight year - https://www.newschannel5.com/news/southe...membership

Finally, some good news.
I supposed this could also go in the gun control thread...

Quote:James MacDonald threatened worker with gun, practiced shooting at HBC’s camp: police report

Embattled Harvest Bible Chapel founder James MacDonald, who allegedly sought to hire a hitman to commit murder, is also alleged to be a gun-toting bully who practiced his shooting at the church’s camp.

He once pointed a gun at a former worker who requested payment, witnesses told police.

The details were revealed in a heavily redacted report from Wilmette police in Illinois in which McDonald denied to one would-be victim that he had shopped for a contractor to murder the individual.
[cont]
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
Jerry Falwell Jr. was caught diverting a couple mil to a 20-something young man for mysterious reasons. No, not his pool boy, this is another guy - https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-f...SKCN1VH283
This is an interesting thread to get bumped.

Is it a coincidence that mass shootings have increased in frequency since September of 2011?

Rate of Mass Shootings Has Tripled Since 2011, Harvard Research Shows

[Image: shootingsSince2011-mfms11.png]

(05-24-2019, 01:28 PM)vtran Wrote: I supposed this could also go in the gun control thread...

Quote:James MacDonald threatened worker with gun, practiced shooting at HBC’s camp: police report

Embattled Harvest Bible Chapel founder James MacDonald, who allegedly sought to hire a hitman to commit murder, is also alleged to be a gun-toting bully who practiced his shooting at the church’s camp.

He once pointed a gun at a former worker who requested payment, witnesses told police.

The details were revealed in a heavily redacted report from Wilmette police in Illinois in which McDonald denied to one would-be victim that he had shopped for a contractor to murder the individual.
[cont]
Well this took me down a fascinating rabbit-hole re: the movement to combine the modern resurgence of culturally-conservative Reform-theology churches with the kind of performatively hyper-macho alphas-only dudebro culture seen here, in what critics apparently and aptly dubbed the "Testosterone Gospel." I used to hang out with some people involved in one of the organizations that was a part of this (not MacDonald's own HBC, but the parent child affiliate Kuato organization of his old almus pater, Mars Hill,) and what I've been reading explains a whooole lot about what I found weird and off-putting in that environment.
....and maybe it's shit like this that are getting people to bail on all this religion stuff.

Quote:Pastor Who Celebrated Orlando Massacre Gets 35 Years For Child Molestation

Anti-gay pastor who claimed Orlando massacre victims got “what they deserve” will probably spend the rest of his life in prison.

Pastor Ken Adkins was sentenced to life for aggravated child molestation earlier this week. Adkins will be eligible for parole after 35 years, but by that time he will be over 90 years old, and more than likely dead. If he does manage to live long enough to be released, he will spend the remainder of his life on probation.

Adkins, who had congregations in Atlanta, Jacksonville, and Brunswick, Georgia, was arrested late last summer on eight charges of child molestation and aggravated child molestation.

Earlier this month, a jury found Pastor Adkins guilty on all charges.
[cont]
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
He is NOT going to enjoy prison. Great!
If he had that many congregations, you absolutely know there are more victims that haven't come forward.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
...more fucking charlatans.

Quote:Christian Reality Stars Facing 30 Years in Prison for Fraud

Todd and Julie Chrisley are facing more than 30 years in prison for defrauding banks and the United States Government. U.S. Attorney BJ Pak announced the indictment in a press conference earlier today.

According to the indictment, Todd and Julie Chrisley committed bank and wire fraud to obtain fraudulent loans to fund their lavish lifestyle. The

U.S. Attorney alleges the Chrisley’s forged documents to earn millions of dollars in loans. Additionally, the couple failed to file federal tax
returns for the income they received from their series “Chrisley Knows Best.”

In a press conference, Pak stated that the Chrisleys falsified bank documents to obtain millions of dollars in loans from multiple lenders.

According to the indictment, the documents contained inflated account balances.

[cont]
but that's just part of it...
'Chrisley Knows Best' daughter alleges dad and brother blackmailed her with sex tape
I am not the least surprised. I've never watched a single episode, or part of one, but I saw a promo for the show and was certain he was a major league shitbag.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Have fun in prison, you hypocritical piece of shit....

Christian Lawmaker Ralph Shortey Sentenced To 15 Years For Child Sex Trafficking