Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gravity Falls on Disney

Of course I say that and tonight's is probably the least of the season.  I don't know if Soos can quite carry his own episode yet - or at least one that so thoroughly backgrounds the twins.  Was nice to see Wendy in a subplot that didn't involve Dipper, though.

Also, this:

Granny: I would like to see you settled, before I ascend to heaven and live with the angels.

Soos: And with Grandpa!

Granny: ...No, he is not there.

Made me laugh really, really hard.

I really dug the Japanese girlfriend video game dating sim as psycho bitch/ghost in the machine. What a great way to combine both horror cliches.

Quote:

Originally Posted by neaux View Post

I really dug the Japanese girlfriend video game dating sim as psycho bitch/ghost in the machine. What a great way to combine both horror cliches.

I'm amazed no one has actually made an actual J-horror movie of this.

Hell, someone should.

Just a general comment: I like how they've upped the creepy factor this season. It feels like a natural progression, and has provided some great moments. Bill attempting to adjust to Dipper's body a few weeks ago was funny and unnerving. It's great when you can manage both at the same time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pither View Post

Just a general comment: I like how they've upped the creepy factor this season. It feels like a natural progression, and has provided some great moments. Bill attempting to adjust to Dipper's body a few weeks ago was funny and unnerving. It's great when you can manage both at the same time.

Im amazed they managed to get away with the shapeshifting monster alone; that thing was messed up in so many levels.

the stop-motion claymation tale was brilliant! Plus Neil Degrasse Tyson voicing Waddles was perfect casting.

Quote:

the stop-motion claymation tale was brilliant! Plus Neil Degrasse Tyson voicing Waddles was perfect casting.

Agreed. The stop-motion segment was full of great touches, and was very effective as a parody of and tribute to Ray Harryhausen's works. Also, the witch's robe in the first story appeared to be modeled on the one worn by the Master in Manos, the Hands of Fate.

A whole story about Old Man McGucket? Yes please. That was absolutely awesome.

The letter from Mermando at the beginning made me laugh out loud.  Great episode, and huge in terms of the show's mythology.  Love how they're developing the mystery this season.

AThe Blendin return had a surprising happy ending for Blendin and Soos. But time baby stole the show.

So, Josh Weinstein (aka, one half of Oakley and Weinstein from The Simpsons glory days) is now writing on the show. That's pretty neat.

Otherwise, tonight's was fine, though Mabel's rationalization at the end was...iffy.  A lot of really great gags though - everything around THOMPSON, the whole Stan plot, and Robbie's parents were all hilarious.

EDIT:  Also, Alex Hirsch is a monster/genius.

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/5...0018825217

AGlad Robbie is back around. If there is anyone who deserves to deal with occulty stuff, it's Robbie.
ASo DisneyXD just started in NZ which means we finally get this.

Kids and I are addicted. So, so good.

The only annoyance is that like Cartoon Network with their shows it doesnt show them in order, but randomly so you have to piece any kind of sequential story together.

Oof, out of order is a tough one for this show.  The second season in particular has been fairly tightly structured.  But yeah, this show is awesome.  Can't wait for new episodes to start airing in February.

AOh man, the Street Fighter episode was brilliant on so many levels!

New Episode on Monday Night with the return of Pacifica's Dad voiced by Nathan FIllion.  http://www.thewrap.com/castle-star-natha...ive-video/

"You asked for it, you got it! An entire 48-hour marathon of Ghost Harassers on the Used to be about History Channel"

Fun episode, but between the last minutes of the show proper, the tag, and the title of the next episode:

NOT WHAT HE SEEMS

And the cypher at the end was: "STANISNOTWHATHESEEMS STANISNOTWHATHESEEMS"

Shit is about to go down!  I have faith in Hirsch, unlike the Disney schedulers who are not airing the next episode until March 9th.

Thankfully Disney XD NZ ran the last 5 episodes of S1 in order so that was ALL good.

No sign of S2 yet though Sad

AThe ghost lumberjack was really cool. From all the poltergeisty stuff they put in this episode I'm always amazed its on Disney.

HOLY. SHIT.

Stan is not what he seems.  Is he really a Pines?  Certainly, he has a twin, so perhaps it runs in the family.  And the ending reveal!  Goddamn!

This episode legit felt pretty epic and intense.  Pretty much everyone in the town except Li'l Gideon got a check-in, and there were some fantastic callbacks (even to a previously-unincorporated-into-the-show part of the opening credits).  Can't wait to see where they go from here.

Top-notch episode. Even though it provides some big answers, those answers raise further questions and open new directions for stories.  I can't see character relationships going "back to normal" anytime soon. The AV Club has an interview with Alex Hirsch, talking about this episode and where things might go from here:

http://www.avclub.com/article/gravity-fa...nge-216411

Oh, and bonus points for giving Tyler the cute biker a few extra lines.

I feel smarter just by reading Alex Hirsch's interviews.  His answer on how to properly do cliffhangers should be posted in the writers' rooms of every serialized show.

AI love the fact my son starting singing "the final countdown" listening to 80's on 8 has paid off.
ASo we've just had S2E2 over here. Dont know yhe actual title so I'll just call it "The Thing - kids edition".

Wow. The Shapeshifter was like something out of a nightmare. It genuinely scared my youngest into hiding behind a cushion. The Mabel/Dipper combine was fully Robin Botin design and the ep as a whole was fantastic.

Also, Wendy is kickass!

Great show.

And that's Mark Freakin' Hamill voicing the Shapeshifter too!  What a great villain that was - up there w/ Bill Cipher for coolest/creepiest villain the show's done.  Would love to see it return.

Also, that final scene between Wendy and Dipper was really, really well-done.  Sad and genuinely sweet.

So... Would you all recommend this to a fan of Adventure Time and Stephen Universe?

ARecommended more for fans of x-files and twin peaks and sci-fi mystery shows.

I mean, if you like Adventure Time, you'll probably enjoy this.  I'd describe it as The Simpsons meets Twin Peaks.

Quote:

Recommended more for fans of x-files and twin peaks and sci-fi mystery shows.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dent6084 View Post

I mean, if you like Adventure Time, you'll probably enjoy this.  I'd describe it as The Simpsons meets Twin Peaks.

I like those as well and should probably take a look at this.

Thanks.

AJust busted a gut laughing at the S2 Halloween episode.

The handwitch reading "Crone Alone" magazine with the leader "Witches be trippin'" slayed me.

Attention to detail is fantastic. Really rewards a rewatch. Which is just as well because my kids rinse these to nothing.

AWESOME NEWS:

J.K. Simmons is joining the voice cast on the show in a recurring role as

That is FUCKING GREAT casting.

AWell that was the back story-iest back story ever about Stanford and Stanley Pines. Good stuff that answered a LOT of questions and showed a lot about Gravity Falls in the past.

Good to have this show back! It's impressive how well Stanley and Stanford's relationship was established considering how much story there was to get through in those 30 minutes. Among many other things, I loved seeing the newly hatched shapeshifter.

Yeah, there were some fantastic continuity gags (Lazy Susan's lazy eye is Stan's fault!).  But the best part was definitely how well developed Stan and Ford's relationship was.  Hirsch and Simmons sold the hell out of it too.

Also great:  Mabel's insecurity over her and Dipper's future at the end.  Also also great:  Stan's various products like the Sham and the Rip-Off (which does NOT cause rashes!).

EDIT:  According to the AV Club, that was Jonathan Banks as the Stans' father.  Did not catch that at all, but another great get for the show.

Weird Al Yankovich as the dungeon wizard was a treat.