Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE DARK KNIGHT RISES Post-release thread.....

I don't remember Tom Cruise being in TDKR. Which of Bane's henchmen was he?

Aaye
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post

I don't remember Tom Cruise being in TDKR. Which of Bane's henchmen was he?

"Have we started a fire?"

Of course Tom would play the only actor in a film that was willing to get dropped from a fuselage a hundred miles in the air.

Aoh man... if TOM CROOZE is willing to die for Bane's plan...

THAT would cement Bane's power right there forever!!!

That doesn't look like a true believer, MichaelC.

THIS DOES:

This one looks prepared, but unsure:

And to think I advocated for reopening this thread.  I feel like I'm in The Thing and was defending Norris's humanity immediately prior to the defibrillator scene.

It was YOU???

Thank you!

HELP ME HELP YOU!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carnotaur3 View Post

HELP ME HELP YOU!

That kind of belief would probably freak out even Bane...

That's why he leaves him.

"Yes, Tom, uh huh, the fire rises. (To his other men) Get me the fuck off this plane, now!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post

And to think I advocated for reopening this thread.

"Schwartz! Schwartz! It's one of the people who posted under your last Game Of Thrones write-up. Says he knows Uncle Mitch. Says he knows where to find him. He's in the courtyard....."

A[quote name="Schwartz" url="/community/t/144220/the-dark-knight-rises-post-release-thread/5500#post_3932051"]And to think I advocated for reopening this thread.  I feel like I'm in The Thing and was defending Norris's humanity immediately prior to the defibrillator scene.
[/quote]

Did you? Don't take the blame. I just moved it and figured it was no longer necessary to keep it locked under that premise.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post

And to think I advocated for reopening this thread.  I feel like I'm in The Thing and was defending Norris's humanity immediately prior to the defibrillator scene.

This thread's existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want this thread to continue, you need this thread to continue.

AI think these films are an answer to what do angry nerds do with all of that excess energy they failed to burn off after nigh endless conversations about the Star Wars prequels.

"Egads! Too many people agree that Lucas shit the bed. I must find a new, more fertile target with which to belabor a point! Hold on! Great Caesar's Ghost! A series of successful films that dare to not to cater to my specific tastes but are based on characters whom I have claimed ownership over irrespective of intellectual property laws! That's it! My people are an obsessive and argumentative lot, I shall become...a Bat-pedant!"

God forbid people talk about the biggest fucking franchise of the 2000s. 

A franchise notable for having an unusual amount of somewhat heavy cultural and social baggage specific to its time.

Nah, its all about Batwankery. 

I genuinely don't give a fuck about Batman. I think he's kind of awful. I like the cartoon. But these movies are a shorthand way of talking about how deeply weird society has become in the last decade or so. A lot of the militaristic ugliness, surveillance paranoia, financial mayhem, gun violence, drug addiction - its all relatable in shorthand form by referencing Nolan's bugnuts trilogy. It is an animating cultural touchstone for that specific time in history, moreso than pretty much anything else I can think of off hand.

And for some people, its both hilarious and arresting how awful the whole enterprise ends up. I mean, 'specific tastes' is an objectionably subjective term here. You're saying we can't have at this film simply because the tone is so goddamn incoherent? 

Sure, its beaten to death. The pickings are kind of barren at the moment, to be honest. Not a great year for movies, specifically the movies that cater to this crowd. At least not so far. Batman threads are kind of like a dive bar, where the regulars retire to after a hard day of pounding rocks out in the Dating thread or the 2016 Election thread or wherever it is people are congregating these days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhukov View Post

I genuinely don't give a fuck about Batman. I think he's kind of awful. I like the cartoon. But these movies are a shorthand way of talking about how deeply weird society has become in the last decade or so. A lot of the militaristic ugliness, surveillance paranoia, financial mayhem, gun violence, drug addiction - its all relatable in shorthand form by referencing Nolan's bugnuts trilogy. It is an animating cultural touchstone for that specific time in history, moreso than pretty much anything else I can think of off hand.

And maybe that's why we now talk more about the flaws of these movies. We're already removed from that first recognition (by the majority of popgen) of Government surveillance, the power of a couple of lunatics to literally change the world, and OWS. It was only a few short years ago, but it feels like it happened in Roman times or something.

TDKR is an historical artifact! It belongs in a museum!!

AUh-huh. Rock out with your cock out, fellas.
A[quote name="Zhukov" url="/community/t/144220/the-dark-knight-rises-post-release-thread/5500#post_3932130"]TDKR is an historical artifact! It belongs in a museum!!
[/quote]

SO DO YOU!

http://www.clickhole.com/video/will-chan...night-2982

It really does change everything.

I have to say, I don't know if there is another community on the internet that would spend three years nitpicking and bitching about DKR, then turn around and defend Batman Forever as a great underrated movie.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post

I have to say, I don't know if there is another community on the internet that would spend three years nitpicking and bitching about DKR, then turn around and defend Batman Forever as a great underrated movie.

And it's not even the same couple people, who you could write off as just preferring their Batman super-campy.  The world's a twisted place.

AIt could be worse, we could be defending Batman & Robin. Should we go there???? We started the fire????

No, no. It could not be worse.

We are living in CHUD's darkest timeline.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Stockslivevan View Post

It could be worse, we could be defending Batman & Robin. Should we go there???? We started the fire????

It's been always burning since the world's been turning.

We just want to watch it burn.

Quote:

It could be worse, we could be defending Batman & Robin. Should we go there???? We started the fire????

I might 'enjoy' Batman & Robin more than Forever ohohohohohoh

AOF COURSE!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

I might 'enjoy' Batman & Robin more than Forever ohohohohohoh

I definitely do.  If I'm going to watch a bad movie, I want it to be as bad as possible.

yay!!!

I tried rewatching Batman Forever a few years ago and outside of Kilmer doing his damnedest to make the movie work, I couldn't get over how SHRILL the rest of the movie was with Carrey and Jones trying to top each other.

At least with Schwarzeneggar and Thurman there was some contrast.

Apologies if this has already been discussed to the ground:

Saw this again the other night. This is an expertly made, completely reduntant film. It's a conclusion to a film series that already concluded in the previous film. One thing screenwriting manuals teach you is your final act should return to the themes and elements you introduced in act one. TDKR looks like Goyer and Nolan didn't know where to go from TDK, so they scrapped that film's ending and took a bunch of random stuff from BATMAN BEGINS to build their quote-unquote final chapter. Ra's al Ghul, Bruce falling to a pit, Bruce training to become Batman (twice), Gotham's destruction, etc. The themes are all over the place, and the film ends up saying nothing coherent about anything. This might be a grand criteria for a comic book film, but a valid one since the previous part did it so well. And Bane's character is mostly just a reason for Bruce's training montage pt 2. Still, Tom Hardy's the prime reason I watched this all through the end.

tl;dr - BATMAN FOREVER > TDKR > BATMAN & ROBIN

AI like TDKR more than BF, but it's a close race.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtanen View Post

Apologies if this has already been discussed to the ground:

Saw this again the other night. This is an expertly made, completely reduntant film. It's a conclusion to a film series that already concluded in the previous film. One thing screenwriting manuals teach you is your final act should return to the themes and elements you introduced in act one. TDKR looks like Goyer and Nolan didn't know where to go from TDK, so they scrapped that film's ending and took a bunch of random stuff from BATMAN BEGINS to build their quote-unquote final chapter. Ra's al Ghul, Bruce falling to a pit, Bruce training to become Batman (twice), Gotham's destruction, etc. The themes are all over the place, and the film ends up saying nothing coherent about anything. This might be a grand criteria for a comic book film, but a valid one since the previous part did it so well. And Bane's character is mostly just a reason for Bruce's training montage pt 2. Still, Tom Hardy's the prime reason I watched this all through the end.

tl;dr - BATMAN FOREVER > TDKR > BATMAN & ROBIN

Completely disagree. TDK was about the necessity of Batman existence and TDKR is the necessity for Bruce Wayne's. It's clear that Bruce Wayne was holed up, and still living at the time because he one day suspected Batman would be needed again. It's at the end that he learns to value his life and his accomplishments, and look forward to a time where he can learn to exist in the world and interact with other.  To care for someone.  To love someone.  His journey through BB, TDK, and TDKR was filled with selfish intentions, signaled from a traumatic event he's never gotten over. To go through that pain and come out the other side by letting go of it means growth.

Redundant, my ass. I think some fans hated it because they prefer to see their Batman stay exactly where he is - lost in the darkness.

AI like to think my 30s are my personal TDKR.
Quote:

It could be worse, we could be defending Batman & Robin. Should we go there????

Let's go TOGETHER