Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE DARK KNIGHT RISES Post-release thread.....

Any other antipodeans go to a midnight screening? I do kind of wish I'd left it till daylight, if only to avoid the getting up for work pain in four hours, but the atmosphere in the cinema helped a lot. They did a marathon of all three Nolan Batmans, which was ace.

Anyway - thought Hathaway was great, Cotillard and Hardy were alright (I dug them a lot more towards the end), and I was actively irritated by Gordon-Levitt's character and what felt like his excessive screentime. It did seem fairly overblown - the stakes were too high to take seriously, almost, for me anyway. I did enjoy it though, and the friends I saw it with really loved it.

I apologize for the obvious joke, extreme immaturity and the super crude image since it took like twelve seconds to do.  But everytime I hear or read the movie title, this always come to mind:

darkknightrise.jpg

I just walked out of a early screening and was absolutely dumbfounded about how bad this was. An epic fail. It was far too long. Not a single compelling fight sequence. A much too convoluted plot with no real dramatic tension. What a mess. A 250 million clusterfuck.

Every problem or issue with the previous two movies only becomes worse in this installment. I was ok about the first movie, I really liked the Dark Knight, although I never thought it was the greatest superhero flick of all time. I did leave wondering if Nolan really has any idea on how to direct a film. Scenes drag on forever. Dramatic moments are squandered. The actions scenes while technically perfect just aren't that interesting. Such a mess!!

Yes - There are solid performances- Michael Caine and Gary Oldman standout, and Anne Hathaway is fine (with what limitedcharacter material she had available to her), but there is nothing really compelling happening. Zero chemistry with Catwoman and Batman. Bain just falls flat as a villian. I still cannot figure out how this  villian is considered a top tier Batman advesary?

The wrap-up at the end is fine, I only wish the previous 2 hours and 30 minutes were as good.

They can't start rebooting this series fast enought in my opinion.

I need a drink.

AIt's good. I have nitpicky issues, and Nolan abandons some interesting threads. But overall it's a satisfying conclusion. And it IS a conclusion.

Woah oh.  My expectations are starting to plummet to below Batman Begins levels.

Seeing this almost seems like an obligation rather than a joy at this point - and I count myself as a fan.

It's a little sluggish late in act two, Bane's voice sounds very dubbed and out of place with the rest of the film (like an over-correction from the M:I-4 prologue), and the Bruce/Miranda relationship isn't given enough weight for how important it is to the final act of the film.

And that's about it for complaints. Batman Begins is a comic book movie. The Dark Knight is a mob movie. The Dark Knight Rises is a big, big fucking comic book movie. It's a Batman Begins-like story with the sensibilities and style of The Dark Knight.

Anne Hathaway steals the movie, and what a perfect ending. Utterly thrilled by how it turned out.

Begins and Knight all in one movie?  Boner.

My review: http://www.chud.com/101018/review-the-da...ght-rises/

Good review, Renn.

I don't know, as much as I'm looking forward to the movie geekdom's behaviour around it is starting to get on my nerves. before it's released, it HAS TO BE THE GREATEST FILM EVER BECAUSE WE NEED THAT MAINSTREAM VALIDATION OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD!!

And now the movie's out and, whaddya know, has a few flaws. Now watch the geek 'black or white or nothing inbetween' OCD kick in, because obviously if this film isn't the greatest achievement in cinematic history people are going to automatically decry it as a piece of shit. In a couple of months' time, everyone will think it's 'SO overrated' by that pissweak mainstram crowd. Same thing happened with TDK, and here we go again. Kind of sick of the whole merry-go-round.

Fuck, I'm grumpy. had to pick this week to try and cut down on drinking, didn't I?

Nolan doesn't know how to direct action!

Just returned from watching the film. Really enjoyed the bombast, scale,
and the movie as a whole. But the fight sequences though, specifically
the hand-to-hand combat moments only prove that Nolan has not learned
how to direct these at all.

The two Batman v Bane fights were by and large just "point and
shoot" with no 'wow!' moments of coreography or direction to really make
you sit up, or to underline any of the action.

Nobody wanted over-the-top Matrix craziness, but a little stylistic
flair never hurt. And on a $250Mil joint, they should've hired a fight
coreographer that would've given us some more punch for our buck.

Shame really. Otherwise, definitely a great flick to check out.

Few nitpicks but overall good, and a very worthy capper.

But yeah, colour me surprised but Anne Hathaway completely stole the show for me.

Issues I had with the film were kind of silly (apart from the dumb stuff).  I couldn't stop thinking about the Lord Humongous anytime Bane spoke (although Hardy was great, I actually really loved the character of Bane); I couldn't help picture Rob Brydon doing Michael Caine, especially in the bit where he tells him about the letter.

So in Gotham EVERY policeman just walks together into one situation? Also the ends of Bane and Talia were just a bit too sudden.

But those are just the nitpicks. I was engaged, it didn't really feel like 2 3/4 hours.   And I thought everyone deserved the ending they got, and I genuinely left the theatre with a smile on my face.

Nowhere near as enjoyable as the Avengers though, which is still my favourite movie this blockbuster season.

Quote:

Just returned from watching the film. Really enjoyed the bombast, scale,
and the movie as a whole. But the fight sequences though, specifically
the hand-to-hand combat moments only prove that Nolan has not learned
how to direct these at all.

The two Batman v Bane fights were by and large just "point and
shoot" with no 'wow!' moments of coreography or direction to really make
you sit up, or to underline any of the action.

Nobody wanted over-the-top Matrix craziness, but a little stylistic
flair never hurt. And on a $250Mil joint, they should've hired a fight
coreographer that would've given us some more punch for our buck.

In my heart of hearts I always knew the fights would either be point and shoot or chaotic quick cut reversals.  I was hoping for a kind of Fists Of Legend epic brawl which is almost short film like.  Kind of a small little story all of its own in which Batman is getting creamed by Bane, only for Bats to learn and adapt.  It was completely absurd of me to expect Fists of Legend when Nolan can't always get the basics right.

Harry from AICN really hated it.

His review is up now.

Edit- What the hell, here's the link.

I know complaining about Harry's reviews is liking complaining about the sky being blue at this point, but Jesus Christ that review. Just a bunch of random ranting nonsense about how *he* thinks Batman should act and fight.

So it's not quite as good as TDK, and has some muddled political stuff, but is otherwise a fitting finale?

That sounds about right to me. Great review, Renn. I can't wait to see it for myself. Regarding the whole "mainstream validation" thing, I honestly don't care. Really. Unless you're an asshole about it like Armond White, I'm not going to be bothered by negative reviews.

The gist seems to be, except for Harry fucking Knowles being Harry fucking Knowles, anyone who was onboard with the first two will be onboard with this, even if it's a lesser film than TDK. And even then, just about everyone agrees the 3rd act and the final moments are audacious as hell.

...Yeah, now that you've said that, Justin, I think it's time to back out of the thread for me at the moment. Spoilers generally don't bug me THAT much, but if Nolan's going where I think he is, I sure as hell want it to be a shock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rain Dog View Post

Seeing this almost seems like an obligation rather than a joy at this point - and I count myself as a fan.

That's exactly how I feel about it at this point. I'm waiting until it hits Imax here (probably 2-3 weeks) and then I'll probably see it. I think I'm just tired of this version of Batman, and nothing any of the reviews have said makes me rethink my impression that Bane was a lousy choice for this. The rest of what I've heard about this make it sounds like they're taking my least favorite parts of the first two and ramping them up here.

I'm really starting to long for a Batman that plausibly exists in a world with the Justice League in it.

Yeah, I just ducked in because I saw Harry's name mentioned, and knew this wasn't gonna be pretty.

I see this 9:40p tomorrow, after the girlfriend gets out of work. I may have to disconnect the internet entirely.

ASomebody spoil the ending, please. Hide it in spoiler tags or whatever. While I'll probably end up seeing it, I'm completely indifferent towards this franchise.

Just go to wikipeida, the entire plot is up there. Or so I hear, anyway.

I'm just floored at how lifeless this film was. I truly enjoyed Begins and TDK, but this is the very epitome of going through the notions.

I can appreciate Nolan's scale, but man, is this film shittily put together. People just arrive at places magically when the script needs them to. Time moves both too slow and way too fast. Characters that start brilliant turn into complete idiots halfway through. The characterizations of Bane, Batman, and Alfred in this movie are so head-scratchingly wrong and inaccurate, it's not even funny. There are at least two unintentionally hilarious moments that are meant to be "important". The Batman/Bane fistfights are dully shot and uninvolving.

Aside from Oldman and JGL keeping the "regular Gotham" sections of the film lively and interesting, it's a complete mess. Disappointing in the extreme......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Clark View Post

The gist seems to be, except for Harry fucking Knowles being Harry fucking Knowles, anyone who was onboard with the first two will be onboard with this, even if it's a lesser film than TDK. And even then, just about everyone agrees the 3rd act and the final moments are audacious as hell.

Can't disagree with this and agree with Harry more. It's completely inert, and while the SCALE of the third act is impressive, that's it. I mean, the CONCEPT of the entire police force of a major city in a land battle with an army of thugs/villains with multiple tumblers/vehicles shot natively in IMAX is great. The execution is bloodless and resolved way quicker than it should be.

The final moments are ostensibly "fan service", but I'd eaten way too much of Nolan's crap at that point to appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Shape View Post

It's a Batman Begins-like story with the sensibilities and style of The Dark Knight.

Since I'm the guy who thinks Batman Begins is superior to The Dark Knight overall (Both are great), this is music to my ears.

Can we discuss the complete inanity of the evil master plan?

So we have an objective, level a city, why again? Eco terrorism? I guess... even though launching a nuke is probably going to do significant damage to the city and the surrounding environment for decades. Oh well...

Regardless, we need a nuke. So instead of stealing one of the ten of thousands of nukes and dirty bombs stockpiled in countries all over the world we are going to weaponize a prototype new energy device. Yes, we willl have to find and then kidnap the one scientist in the world who has figured out how to do that, but yeah, that plan makes sense. Sort of. Why again? Cause its complicated and cool?

But to get this device, we are going to bankrupt the primary funder of this prototype device by forcing him to give control of the company and the research to our villan. How do we do this? Well we will launch a public attack on a stock exchange and then execute a series of financial transactions driving him into bankruptcy and forcing him to give control to our villian.  How exactly would these transactions not be immediately reversed and cancelled? Why wouldn't all trades be immediately suspended? And even if it wasn't, how on earth are we to know our hero will provide access and control of the device to our villian?

So now we take the city. Again, I'm not sure why, given we already have a device, but blowing up things and seizing control of a major city looks cool. To garned the support (or compliance) of the local populace we then blow up their beloved football team and free 1000 of the worst criminals. Yeah, doesn't sound its going to inspire any kind of loyalty from the population at large, but whaterver.

And why do hardened evil doers join our suicidal cause? Bain is scary? They get guns? The League of Shadows has a comprehensive medical and dental plan? Oh nevermind...

Ok, so now we have the device and take an entire city hostage with a plan to detonate the device immediately if we are attacked, or if anyone leaves the city, or if 3 months go by!  Say again???? We are seizing the city for three months to only blow it up anyways. Why? Cause we're evil and thats how we roll? We are making a political statement? A long winded 3 month long statement?

What a mess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rain Dog View Post

Yup.

I had a good time with Begins and TDK upon release and I'm glad they got made, if for no other reason than for studios to get used to giving auteurs big budget films to make.  But Nolan's bat films fail to engage me anymore.  His ambitious ideas are hampered by his surprisingly mediocre technical skills.  His blocking, shooting and editing style don't work for me with films of this scale...and those things are absolutely essential in blockbuster filmmaking IMO.  That kind of ambitious, large filmmaking really needs properly greased wheels.  Burton made alot of wrong choices with his bat films, but I think he was very technically proficient in the way he put those films together.

I'm glad my expecations for Rises are firmly in check.  I'll probably enjoy it alot more.  And I'm really ready to get some new blood in for bats.

Lousy, but not particularly disappointing.  Levitt was terrific, but when isn't he?

Crap fights.

Poor characterization.  I remember being disappointed that Viggo didn't quite seem to have a handle on Aragorn's frame of mind in FOTR.  But by TTT and ROTK, he had it down.  This whole Batman trilogy, Bale, Oldman, Caine - for all their acting prowess, they didn't quite get it, even by the third film.

Glad some folks enjoyed it, but more glad that cooler heads recognize the film's flaws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinabox2 View Post

Can we discuss the complete inanity of the evil master plan?

So we have an objective, level a city, why again? Eco terrorism? I guess... even though launching a nuke is probably going to do significant damage to the city and the surrounding environment for decades. Oh well...

Regardless, we need a nuke. So instead of stealing one of the ten of thousands of nukes and dirty bombs stockpiled in countries all over the world we are going to weaponize a prototype new energy device. Yes, we willl have to find and then kidnap the one scientist in the world who has figured out how to do that, but yeah, that plan makes sense. Sort of. Why again? Cause its complicated and cool?

But to get this device, we are going to bankrupt the primary funder of this prototype device by forcing him to give control of the company and the research to our villan. How do we do this? Well we will launch a public attack on a stock exchange and then execute a series of financial transactions driving him into bankruptcy and forcing him to give control to our villian.  How exactly would these transactions not be immediately reversed and cancelled? Why wouldn't all trades be immediately suspended? And even if it wasn't, how on earth are we to know our hero will provide access and control of the device to our villian?

So now we take the city. Again, I'm not sure why, given we already have a device, but blowing up things and seizing control of a major city looks cool. To garned the support (or compliance) of the local populace we then blow up their beloved football team and free 1000 of the worst criminals. Yeah, doesn't sound its going to inspire any kind of loyalty from the population at large, but whaterver.

And why do hardened evil doers join our suicidal cause? Bain is scary? They get guns? The League of Shadows has a comprehensive medical and dental plan? Oh nevermind...

Ok, so now we have the device and take an entire city hostage with a plan to detonate the device immediately if we are attacked, or if anyone leaves the city, or if 3 months go by!  Say again???? We are seizing the city for three months to only blow it up anyways. Why? Cause we're evil and thats how we roll? We are making a political statement? A long winded 3 month long statement?

What a mess...

SPOILER ALERT:

You barely touched upon the DUMBEST aspect of this "plan": Kicking it all off by "bankrupting" Bruce Wayne.

Beyond the stupidity of bankrupting a billionaire OVERNIGHT by making him invest in bad stock (because he surely wouldn't have money parked, Mitt Romney-style, in offshore accounts, tax havens, IRAs, and bonds), Wayne is comically turned into a pauper in what appears to be 2 hours the next morning, as his Lambo is repo'd (he's making payments on it? really? Or I guess a court convened in 120 minutes and submitted that any non-house assets are seized to satisfy his sketchy debts? Riiiiight) and his utilities are cut off a day later!

Has Christopher Nolan ever actually paid a bill?

But no...this isn't just to humiliate Bruce, but also to allow THE REAL VILLAIN - duh duh duh - to assume control of Wayne Industries and the nuclear core or whatever.......except that Bane and his men can easily coerce anyone leading the company to grant them access at gunpoint, and THEY DO EXACTLY THAT ANYWAY.

Meanwhile, how's broke life treating Bruce Wayne and Batman? We'll never know because the film completely ignores this! He can fuel and utilize any Bat devices at will, and even when he escapes "The Pit" with not a cent to his name, he somehow travels halfway across the world and gets a dashing Abercromie & Fitch-esque casual outfit to return to Gotham. Oh, and he does this despite the only way into the city being guarded by a heavily-armed Army unit. Did I mention that the bad guys know he's Bruce Wayne the entire time, yet don't destroy his Batsuits and devices once he's gone?

How and why exactly? Who cares? Nolan doesn't. Uggggh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Robinson View Post

Did I mention that the bad guys know he's Bruce Wayne the entire time, yet don't destroy his Batsuits and devices once he's gone?

To be fair, how would they know about his hideout in the shipping yard from TDK?  That's where he gets his stuff from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Shape View Post

To be fair, how would they know about his hideout in the shipping yard from TDK?  That's where he gets his stuff from.

SPOILER ALERT:

How did they know where Lucius kept the tumblers and other tech that was supposedly "off the books"? People in this movie just know stuff...or don't. Appear wherever the plot needs them to be at whatever moment. Know how to professionally operate Bat-tech they've never touched before. Wear masks whenever no one cares about their identity. Cross borders at will however quickly they choose to.

I mean, Bane openly attacks what's essentially the NYSE, leaves the country to drop off Bruce in "The Pit", then re-enters the USA then Gotham with no issues whatsoever with all of his known associates intact and fully armed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Robinson View Post

SPOILER ALERT:

How did they know where Lucius kept the tumblers and other tech that was supposedly "off the books"? People in this movie just know stuff...or don't.

I can't argue with that.  It takes all of two seconds for Bruce and Alfred to know all about Bane and his connection to Daggett.

I'm seeing quite a few people who think the ending is a dream.  The hell?

I think it's safe to suspect Tate given how she'd infiltrated the company in the last eight years. It's reasonable to think, with her knowing Wayne is Batman, that she'd might know where to start looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post

Harry from AICN really hated it.

His review is up now.

Edit- What the hell, here's the link.

wow.  That is, hands down, one of the worst "reviews" I've ever read.

I imagine Harry sitting at his desk in a cold sweat, drinking bourbon, angrily typing each line into his laptop.  After every incensed thought he wipes sweat from his brow, hits 'enter,' and starts again.