Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Melbourne Chewer meetup in the next few months - any interest?

Been thinking about maybe trying to organise a chewer get together for those that can make it down here, say around September/October?

It's been way too long.

I'm very interested. Can't make it though.

In my stead, I shall send an erotic postcard with a Krugerrand taped to it. First round is on me, gents.

Absolutely. I'm planning to be over in Perth for a couple of weeks at some point during that period, but that's pending tax return and getting leave from work, so there's a pretty good chance I'll be around during that time. If so, I'm in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Decade View Post

I'm very interested. Can't make it though.

In my stead, I shall send an erotic postcard with a Krugerrand taped to it. First round is on me, gents.

I'll just bring my life size Otis cardboard cut out and set him up at the table...

...I've said too much.

Dammit, George Lucas told me that he'd destroyed all of those! That lying cunt!

Yup, I'm in.

Coooool - anyone else???

What works for everyone? September? October?

Ianthe - you'd have the furthest distance to travel, maybe we should work around you?

Awwww, a cabal of geeky men at my disposal? Awesome!

I'll re-check the work calendar and see if there are any major dates/events I'll need to work through the nearest weekend for (2nd half of the year is always prime litigation season - it's like a 5-6mth long duck-season and I am alternately in the role of duck and shooter, depending on the matter). But, by all means, I'm happy to try and work with other folks' dates/schedules.

I shall be in Melbourne Oct 12-14th for the Armageddon Expo.  Something shall be arranged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The NZ Natural View Post

I shall be in Melbourne Oct 12-14th for the Armageddon Expo.  Something shall be arranged.

Ladies and gents we have a timeframe.

Works for me!

Sounds good to me.

Somewhat weirdly, my neighbour's band is doing a gig in Melb that weekend, too.  Funny how things pan out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The NZ Natural View Post

Somewhat weirdly, my neighbour's band is doing a gig in Melb that weekend, too.  Funny how things pan out.

Damn straight.  They go like this . . .

AI can celebrate finding my log in details by saying "Count Me In!".
So ummm....have I missed anything?

Count me in. It would be nice to meet up with fellow Chewers!

I'm in LA right now (on tour with my music) and very sad to say I haven't seen one movie. I was supposed to go to the Silent Movie Theatre and The New Beverley but have been too busy. I'm in Burbank a walking distance from Warner Studios and not far from Universal. I did go to Sony Pictures Studios for a thing that was music related and peeked my head around some doors I shouldn't have! (not that you wanted to know any of that).

Back to the rain and cold of Melbourne on Monday and I don't want to come back! 

I'll keep an eye on this and I'll be free for any time in Sep-Oct. Smile

So, have sorted my shit out for the Perth visit, booked tickets etc and will be back in town on Sept. 26th. Anytime after that is cool by me.

Well I've booked my hotel for the weekend of 13/14th of Oct. Woohoo!
Should we make moves towards organising dinner/meet-up details?

Probably should. because my weekend is already getting to get too full to the point I'm wondering how I'm gonna do all this.

So dinner on Sat 13 October followed by drinks for those that wish to/are able to? Say 6.30 onwards?
I haven't been to Melbourne for a couple of years so don't really have any views on either venue. Suggestions?

I'll leave venue suggestions up to the locals, but an early Saturday dinner sounds ideal for me and my schedule.  Smile

Sounds good to me. RD seems to have been AWOL lately, but I can facebook him the details once we get stuff organized. Will think of venues, but what springs to mind is the cafe at ACMI for a meeting point. They refurbished it lately and seems apt. That's off the top of my head at least.

That's a great idea!

What's an ACMI and where would one find it?

Australian Centre for the Moving Image. Or something like that. It's like a Mini Museum of Film/TV etc. It's at Federation Square in the city. I've never actually been there but heard many great and wonderous things about it.

http://www.acmi.net.au/

If any of you fine people are looking for something to do on the evening of Friday October 12, I just happen to be hosting this!

http://www.popcorntaxi.com.au/2012/09/ev...n-pegg-qa/

Sadly I have other engagements tomorrow tommy, but that sounds awesome. Hope it goes well!

OK, I guess it's time we started finalizing the details for this thing. Does ACMI at 6-6:30pm Saturday sound good to everybody?

Works for me.
ETA: Sorry, I can't make the awesome-sounding Simon Pegg Q&A either, won't be driving down til tomorrow morning. Seeing Killing them Softly tonight!

Im unemployed and flat broke, but no way am I missing this shit, see you crazy kids at acmi tomorrow.

For those of you who don't know where ACMI is, I've included a map constructed in painstaking detail with the bleeding edge of topographical rendering technology. I know, I spoil youse:

Where the line starts from Flinders St station is a pedestrian crossing (It's at the bottom of a long tram stop so it's not hard to miss). Cross over, head up the stairs and keep heading up past the stage and big fuck-off screen. ACMI is nestled up in the top left-hand corner. The first thing you'll see is the main doors leading to the box office, but if you go just past there there's a glass door to the ACMI Lounge, where we're meeting. I'm the big guy with red hair, leather jacket and glasses (I'm in sore need of a haircut so look out for the unruly mop).

There hasn't been any kind of agenda set for the evening, but we can figure something out. The Iranian Film Festival's on there at the moment, and there are a ton of restaurants and bars in the general vicinity so possibilities abound! I guess start with dinner and work it out from there... (And no worries Isaac, glad to shout you!)

Thanks for the map!

See you all there tomorrow night!

AOkay, now I know where that is, it should be alot easier to get to. I'm at the mercy of my companions and their plans, but we should be able to work something out. :-)

Great night, guys! Had an excellent time. We need to do that again soon.