Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Where In The World Is Solomon Kane?
#1

(note: thread title sung to the tune of 'Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?')

So, I was reading through the IMDB of James Purefoy last night (don't ask) and noticed and then recalled, "Solomon Kane", on his resume'.  I then did a quick scan of Netflix, Amazon, etc., and cannot find this movie for rent, or hell, even for sale, in the US.  What happened with this movie?  Was it even released in the US in the theaters?  And why isn't there a US DVD?  It came out like 3 years ago.  Anyone know the story of this?  Hell, from the user reviews of it, I'd even set myself up that I'd buy it to see it if need be, but I can't find a legitimate US version.  Anybody actually seen it and/or know how to get a copy?

Reply
#2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martianman View Post

(note: thread title sung to the tune of 'Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?')

So, I was reading through the IMDB of James Purefoy last night (don't ask) and noticed and then recalled, "Solomon Kane", on his resume'.  I then did a quick scan of Netflix, Amazon, etc., and cannot find this movie for rent, or hell, even for sale, in the US.  What happened with this movie?  Was it even released in the US in the theaters?  And why isn't there a US DVD?  It came out like 3 years ago.  Anyone know the story of this?  Hell, from the user reviews of it, I'd even set myself up that I'd buy it to see it if need be, but I can't find a legitimate US version.  Anybody actually seen it and/or know how to get a copy?


It hits on demand video the 24th, then finally gets a US theatrical release at the end of September. How do I know that off the top of my head? Because I've been waiting nearly four years for this film!

I caught most of it on youtube one time, and Purefoy was of course amazing, with some fine supporting work by Pete Postlewaite. This is a movie waiting for an audience if I ever saw one.

Reply
#3

What the hell? You can buy this, second hand on amazon.co.uk for 24p (38 cents)

It's also not very good, at all.

Reply
#4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCE View Post

What the hell? You can buy this, second hand on amazon.co.uk for 24p (38 cents)

It's also not very good, at all.


I thought it was great, doubly so if you're a Purefoy fan. I'll admit I have not yet seen the final 30 minutes though.

Keep in mind that the DVD you're talking about is region 2, you'd need a region free DVD player.

Reply
#5

Thanks for the info--I'll definitely check it out on VOD at the very least.

Reply
#6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martianman View Post

Thanks for the info--I'll definitely check it out on VOD at the very least.

Sadly I think it's going to be a "digital early release" where you can purchase it at full price, rather than rent it. Still though I'm going to get it too. The movie is fun from what I've seen, and I really want to support Purefoy's career. I was just rewaching his big scene in A Knight's Tale last evening, and it's amazing what a rock star he was in that movie. He just oozes charisma.

Reply
#7

I saw it when I was over in Denmark back in 2010.  It played at a film festival in Copenhagen.  I'm gonna disagree with Dr. Harford.  It's okay.  Watchable, but not all that great.  Purefoy is not all that compelling as the lead, and the film kind of plods along.  It exists in this weird middle ground between the original Conan flick and the one from last year.  I don't know.  I was underwhelmed, but that might have something to do with the fact that I LOVED the original stories, and that was maybe skewing my perspective.

Reply
#8

I agree. I'm all for genre B-movies, but it's really not that great. See once, at most.

Reply
#9
AI'll admit that your mileage may vary depending on how psyched you are or are not to see James Purefoy star in action movies. I spent years anticipating this film because I wanted to see him play the lead in a film about a demon hunting badass, and that certainly effected my level of enjoyment when it came to watching him murder ghouls. The film is definitely "B", but I think there are a lot of strong elements and they really manage to achieve a pretty good sense of scope.
Reply
#10

I don't understand...Harry Knowles gave it a rave review!

Reply
#11
AYou know, I don't take Harry Knowles seriously as an opinion maker, but aside from his typical pointless meandering throughout that review, what he wrote feels pretty spot on with my reaction to the film, at least on the whole based on the hour and 10 minutes I saw.


http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41022
Reply
#12

Did anyone here get a Hellboy feel from the Creature designs here? I thought the film was decent enough.

Solomon Kane got a Theatrical Release here about 2 1/2 yrs ago.

Reply
#13
A[quote name="felix" url="/community/t/144584/where-in-the-world-is-solomon-kane#post_3375990"]Did anyone here get a Hellboy feel from the Creature designs here? I thought the film was decent enough.

Solomon Kane got a Theatrical Release here about 2 1/2 yrs ago.
[/quote]

Definitely, especially with the Reaper in the beginning. Though I'd say it was more a Del Torro Hellboy movie aesthetic than a Mike Mingola one (the way the reaper's "robes" seemed to be made out of sculpted stone or bark or something).
Reply
#14

I have seen it a few times.  I like it a great deal.  Kane is pretty much a literal holy terror in this movie.  I also liked the supporting effort from Postlewaite as well.  The action was well-done, and Purefoy is really fucking badass in the movie.  The creature effects are a little shoddy, but that is to be expected with a low budget production such as this one.

Reply
#15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Harford View Post


Definitely, especially with the Reaper in the beginning. Though I'd say it was more a Del Torro Hellboy movie aesthetic than a Mike Mingola one (the way the reaper's "robes" seemed to be made out of sculpted stone or bark or something).

I think it's the same creature design company.

I enjoyed this film and have a region 4 copy on dvd. This and Deathwatch (need to see Wilderness) have made me a Michael J. Bassett film fan (so I'm looking forward to Silent Hill 3D).

I feel this film makes a good double bill with Black Death.

Reply
#16

Only see this once if you're a Solomon Kane and/or Purefoy completist. Very much a mess and a criminal waste of Purefoy. Who as almost always happens is the best thing about this movie.

Reply
#17

I found it to be thoroughly watchable but not great. I love the character of Solomon Kane, and I think it's a bit of a letdown in that regard, but it's leaps and bounds better than the new Conan. I would happily own in for 10 dollars or less and put it on in the background for demon-hunting eye candy.

Reply
#18

Yeah it's fun, saw it about a year ago I think. Good to see it's finally getting a real US release. Hopefully I can finally see it on blu-ray.

Reply
#19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian OB View Post

I found it to be thoroughly watchable but not great. I love the character of Solomon Kane, and I think it's a bit of a letdown in that regard, but it's leaps and bounds better than the new Conan.

Am i the only one here that liked Conan 2011?

Reply
#20
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post

Am i the only one here that liked Conan 2011?

No I actually enjoyed it as well.

Reply
#21

That's good to know. CONAN 2011 has a lot of issues, but Momoa's performance as Conan was impressive. He really captured the spirit of the Conan character (better than Arnold in my opinion).

Reply
#22
AMy bad, I had the date wrong by two days. The wait is finally over and Solomon Kane is out now on demand in the United States. $14.99 for the SD version on iTunes.
Reply
#23
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post

That's good to know. CONAN 2011 has a lot of issues, but Momoa's performance as Conan was impressive. He really captured the spirit of the Conan character (better than Arnold in my opinion).

See, I liked Momoa as Conan, but pretty much didn't like anything else in the movie.  HUGELY disappointed in Nichols' character--but maybe that's my fault.  With her history of playing strong women, I guess I expected her to be a bit more Sandahl Bergman in this rather than the damsel in distress.  I was tempted to tell her that via Twitter...but I didn't want to come off as an ass like "I'm only talking to you to tell you that you suck."

Reply
#24

Momoa was by far the best thing about that movie. The script and villains were by far the worst.

Reply
#25
AWhere is Soloman Kane? In HD, for free, all weekend long on Xbox Live. Pretty cool freebie.
Reply
#26

Between this sitting in Limbo and The Following, I have to assume that at some point Purefoy defiled a gypsy's daughter.

Reply
#27
I too enjoyed CONAN 2011. I'd put solidly above DESTROYER, but waaaaaaaay behind BARBARIAN. I've liked Momoa ever since my introduction to him through STARGATE: ATLANTIS, and he makes for a very good Conan. Nichols was huge disappointment for me, at least Bergman had no qualms about topless scenes. Yes, that last sentence makes me sound like a HUGE perv, but Martianman already pointed out that Rachel should have been more of a warrior than a damsel. Stephen Lang and Rose McGowan were also rather bland as the villains. They had zero chemistry with one another. I can only imagine what Cage would have done with the villain role. It would have been GLORIOUS.
Reply
#28

Momoa deserves another shot as Conan. It was the script that let him down here.

As a big fan of Rachel Nichols, i lament those topless scenes as well.

Reply
#29

I bought Solomon Kane at Wal-Mart yesterday for $10 and watched it last night. The movie wasn't as good as Robert E. Howard's Solomon Kane stories, but I still liked it.

Reply
#30

A lot of fun to be had with this movie. Solid atmosphere and must see for one of Pete Postlewait's final roles. Purefoy was excellent and there was some great unsettling horror at play.

Also the story of this film's LOOOONG trip to the US is a tale in itself!

Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)