Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Thread Of Fate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyler View Post

You all have mentioned most of the classic episodes but one that really killed me was Final Justice. It is where Joe Don Baker is a Texas Sheriff who travels to Malta. There is one part that shows a close up of his mouth and Tom says " The last thing sausage ever sees" and that line just killed me. Hell,I'm laughing now just thinking about it. The Goose-io stuff is pretty great,too. It is an episode where they were all on fire with the riffs.

Observe. You might feel like 90 minutes of Joe Don Baker fat jokes might be overkill, but you'd be WRONG.

I really like how Shout releases DVD sets which mixes Joel/Mike era episodes since I enjoy both of them on the same level. Oh, and thanks for mentioning the Time Chasers episode upthread. I Youtubed that last night and had a blast. The bit where Servo sends Crow back in time to change Mike's future was too hilarious for words.

LOVE this show.

"Yeah, Crow, this is Servo. Maybe you should just...kill him, or something, I dunno."

"Hey everybody, we're gonna have some fun today. I've reprogrammed the Bots to talk to each other in DIFFERENT REGIONAL DIALECTS. Okay it's not that exciting but it's the only thing I know how to do."

"So, you wanna Coke?"

"Sure, I'll have a rootbeer..."

No Bond fan should be without the joy that is Operation Double 007. Makes Austin Powers look like, well, Bond.

And it'll be on the next box set (which you should buy if you watch it on Youtube)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherDude View Post

And it'll be on the next box set (which you should buy if you watch it on Youtube)!

Happiness and will do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav McGee View Post

No Bond fan should be without the joy that is Operation Double 007. Makes Austin Powers look like, well, Bond.

Spy movies just clicked for the writing team, I think: Secret Agent Super Dragon, Agent From HARM, and Danger! Death Ray! are all favorites.

Oh man, buy the DVD set with Secret Agent Super Dragon, all four episodes in it are great.  The Starfighters is one of the best of the series, Rebel Set (With Johnny at the Fair) and Parts: The Clonus Horror are both very watchable.  I didn't realize it was still available!

Which Chewer on the thread has seen the cinematic classic Cave Dwellers? Makes Conan look like Lawrence of Arabia!

I remember spending a lazy Saturday morning flipping through the cable channels and stumbling across these three silhouettes making fun of some 60s beach movie on The Comedy Channel.  I was sure it was some short segment on a sketch comedy show, but when they came back from the commercial, they were still riffing on the same movie (which I'd later learn was Catalina Caper).  I can't describe the slowly growing sense of awe when I realized they were doing the entire damn film.  I was hooked.

My fondest memories of MST3K were the Turkey Day marathons.  It seemed like every friend of mine was into the show, so wherever I ended up for dinner, we'd have the marathon playing in the background.  It made the show feel like a communal thing, than and the whole "Keep circulating the tapes" attitude.  It was sort of our thing, the requirement for membership in a secret club.  I remember getting the Turkey Day schedule from the Information Club and setting my VCR to record the episodes I didn't have yet, and even running home to switch tapes so I could keep recording, then going back to dinner.  It was a special kind of madness, and so were the people we shared it with.

And I think if you want to really appreciate just how what MST did was so special, watch the episode where Dr. Forrester and Frank take Joel and the bots place in the theater.  Yeah, they deliberately dulled down their responses as part of the joke, but watching them struggle to be funny really underlined just how good the cast and writers were at what they do.

As for favorite episodes, geez, I could be here all day, but the ones that jump to mind are Cave Dwellers, Godzilla vs. Megalon, It Conquered the World (especially for the "Snow Thrills" short), Last of the Wild Horses (for the Mirror Universe), and yes, Cataline Caper, for being my first glimpse of this wonderful little show.

Joel Hodgson was recently on the Nerdist podcast and said that writing the theme song actually got them through some reservations they had about the show moving forward.  Specifically the lines about "If you're wondering how he eats and breathes/and other science facts (la la la)/Then repeat to yourself, "It's just a show/I should really just relax".

He said they were concerned about how they would address that stuff, plus how they would explain what they were doing to new viewers.  And then they wrote the theme song, and all of that was taken care of.  Also, the space station is designed from a dog's "nylabone" and the idea in general was taken from the bone that's thrown up in the air in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I pulled up an episode for my son on Netflix about a year or so ago, and now that's all he wants to watch.  We just watched Secret Agent Super Dragon a few weeks ago, and he made my mom watch an episode this weekend (my wife and I were away at Dragon*Con).

Joel was recently on Seinfeld's Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee. If you haven't been watching these, you need to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravejoe24 View Post

Which Chewer on the thread has seen the cinematic classic Cave Dwellers? Makes Conan look like Lawrence of Arabia!

Just watched that this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post

My fondest memories of MST3K were the Turkey Day marathons.  It seemed like every friend of mine was into the show, so wherever I ended up for dinner, we'd have the marathon playing in the background.  It made the show feel like a communal thing, than and the whole "Keep circulating the tapes" attitude.  It was sort of our thing, the requirement for membership in a secret club.  I remember getting the Turkey Day schedule from the Information Club and setting my VCR to record the episodes I didn't have yet, and even running home to switch tapes so I could keep recording, then going back to dinner.  It was a special kind of madness, and so were the people we shared it with.

It Conquered the World (especially for the "Snow Thrills" short)...

Yeah, there were a couple of Thanksgivings where I actually got the family to watch some of it. Even my grandmother was laughing!

Also, scheeing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Barg View Post

Also, scheeing!

You are so full of skit.

The Cave Dwellers was actually the first MST3K I ever saw, and it was a great introduction. The moment where Ator runs behind a rock and emerges with a fully constructed hang glider was drop-to-the-floor hilarious even WITHOUT Joel and the Bots.

Second episode was Eegah! which isn't as good, but features a truly hilarious moment in "...tequila..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Prankster View Post

Second episode was Eegah! which isn't as good, but features a truly hilarious moment in "...tequila..."

The Arch Hall Jr. jokes were my favorite. 'EEEWWW."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Singer View Post

Joel was recently on Seinfeld's Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee. If you haven't been watching these, you need to start.

Damn, I need to catch that one.  The Alec Baldwin ep is my favorite so far.

I had actually forgotten that my user name comes from a riff heard in this show.  Slide on down to 1:01:58 in this video for proof that immaculate timing can make a silly joke brilliant.  (Then go buy the crucial episode, commercially available in Volume XIV as well as on instant video!)

I just suffered through Soultaker the other night. Joe Estevez is sooo bad, I feel sorry for him. Out of the Sheenstevez family, he doesn't have the acting abilities of one of Emilio's nads.

I'm about to go research online for some answer as to what the fuck is up with Robert Z'Dar's face. Hialriously botched plastic surgery? I almost Z'don't even want to know.

I love this show, it may be my all-time favorite.  I've always liked both Joel and Mike as they both bring different stuff to the mix, but Joel gets serious extra credit for being the creator.

The Final Sacrifice, between the teenager (who I just read on IMDB was in Hanna as the Head of Ops?!) and Zap Rowsdower, is crazily hypnotic to me. If I watch only a second of it, I must watch all of it.

For me, Mitchell reigns supreme cuz it never fails to make me giggle uncontrollably. "Keep your eyeeee on the sammich."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post

I'm about to go research online for some answer as to what the fuck is up with Robert Z'Dar's face. Hialriously botched plastic surgery? I almost Z'don't even want to know.

I always assumed it was acromegaly.

My absolute favorite type of joke is the one that 90 % of the room doesn't get, and the other 10 % of the room finds sidesplittingly hilarious. MST3K did this better than practically anyone else before or since. ("Community" is the only current show that does this with some consistency.) I actually have about 3/4 of the episodes (maybe more) on VHS in my basement, and I was part of the early "keep circulating the tapes" campaign in that many of my tapes I got from other viewers) I have flirted with pulling them out to watch for a while, but waiting for my daughter to get a bit older.

I always preferred the episodes in which the movies were entertaining in their badness, as some movies were just terribly dull.

I have a special warm memories for "Santa Claus", the Mexican concoction where Santa battles the Devil (well, Pitch) for the souls of children that's even more whacked out then it sounds. (This is not to be confused with "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians", which is a different form of bad.)

I think of "The Killer Shrews" as a favorite, for the fact that the filmakers chose to use dogs with carpets draped over them to represent those deadly creatures...and not even mean dogs, dogs that mostly looked like they wanted to play fetch.

Someone mentioned "Egahh!" (Eegah?) earlier, a quite terrible movie that I quote all the time with wierdly out of left field overdub "Watch out for snakes!" A term I use all the time. (I just googled "Watch out for Snakes" and was pleased to see the first 5 responses all had to do with MST3K.

God, you guys make me want to break into that bin in the basement!

I googled, and some random forum people say that he has Cherubism, a genetic mutation that causes the jaw to become pronounced, but leaves the bones brittle. Now I kinda feel Z'bad.

Oh Z'No!  Much Z'ympathy for him.

I need to make a special mention of the Coleman Francis trilogy.  Skydivers, Red Zone Cuba, and Beast of Yucca Flats.  Rhino put them out separately, but one was on a set that was pulled for rights issues.   They're all on youtube.

Perfect episodes, all of them.  I hope Shout! can do a box set with those three together, and do some bonus material.  Their bonus stuff has been great so far.

AOh man. Red Zone Cuba is just amazing in its prescience. Coleman Francis basically invented gritty nihilist anti-heroism and took it to its logical, extreme, and hideously bleak conclusion decades before it got to be considered "cool" in the mainstream. The painfully dull filmmaking really only adds to the effect.

I still haven't seen the other two. S'pose I ought to, sometime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post

Oh man. Red Zone Cuba is just amazing in its prescience. Coleman Francis basically invented gritty nihilist anti-heroism and took it to its logical, extreme, and hideously bleak conclusion decades before it got to be considered "cool" in the mainstream. The painfully dull filmmaking really only adds to the effect.

Indeed.  It's incredible how watchable The Brains made these three, you have to see the others.

Beast of Yucca Flats has Tor Johnson in it for goodness sake!  Coleman narrates that one, it's incredible.  Skydivers is probably my favorite though, it's almost a coherent movie, Coleman only has a cameo.

The episodes themselves are just perfect, the shorts alone are worth the price of admission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post

Oh man. Red Zone Cuba is just amazing in its prescience. Coleman Francis basically invented gritty nihilist anti-heroism and took it to its logical, extreme, and hideously bleak conclusion decades before it got to be considered "cool" in the mainstream. The painfully dull filmmaking really only adds to the effect.

Water.

Sick man.

Coffee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Barg View Post

Water.

Sick man.

Coffee.

Coleman Francis was truly one of the unsung heroes of Beat poetry.

A man runs. Someone shoots at him.

Always on the prowl. Looking for something or somebody to kill. Quench the killer's thirst.

Boys from the city. Not yet caught by the whirlwind of "Progress". Feed soda pop to the thirsty pigs.

Touch a button. Things happen. A scientist becomes a beast.

Joseph Javorski. Noted scientist.

Noted. Scientist.

You forgot 'flag on the moon'.

A*snaps fingers appreciatively*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

The coolest guy by far was Kevin Murphy, who mainly does Tom Servo. I complimented him on his singing voice, and led us into a good ten minute conversation on general show topics. He couldn't have been a nicer guy.

This is very nice to hear as he's always been my favorite of the bunch, due in no small part to his infectious singing.

Kevin Murphy is hilarious and a natural talent.  Prior to MST3K's arrival at KTMA (the local channel it started out on), Murphy was involved in some pretty interesting (and very, very unseen) experimental comedy programming at the zero-budget UHF station.  Check out this gem in what might be described as a kind of proto-Daily Show for the Twin Cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherDude View Post

Kevin Murphy is hilarious and a natural talent.  Prior to MST3K's arrival at KTMA (the local channel it started out on), Murphy was involved in some pretty interesting (and very, very unseen) experimental comedy programming at the zero-budget UHF station.  Check out this gem in what might be described as a kind of proto-Daily Show for the Twin Cities.

Thanks so much for this, Murphy is the man.

Just checked Jack Frost off the list. It lived up to the hype, and beyond.

The movie itself is one of the most watchable experiments in the MST3K filmography. The convoluted mashup of Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, woodland mushroom Yodas, spinning witch houses, midget Ents, Russian winter gods, and transbearformation made delightfull fun for the whole family. It'll make a great double feature with Pixar's Brave.

The actual dialogue was as funny as the riffs. "Waiiiiit! Let me do a good deed for you!"

Murphy's book, A Year at the Movies, is well worth hunting down.