Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Thread Of Fate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post

Murphy's book, A Year at the Movies, is well worth hunting down.

My Christmas list (yes, really - my mother insists, even though I'm a grown-ass man) is filled with Rifftrax/MST3K stuff. Both this and Mike Nelson's Movie Megacheese are on the list, along with a smattering of Rifftrax DVDs.

Movie Megacheese is so great.  His review of Batman and Robin starts off something like, "Many people say Batman and Robin is the worst movie ever made.  They're wrong.  It is the worst THING ever made by man."  Mind Over Matters is really good, too, and I had a lot of fun with Death Rat.  I also finally managed to get my hands on Kevin Murphy's book recently, and I can't wait to dive into that one.

Also, anyone ever read this?  It was a comic book written by Trace Beaulieu and published by Joe Quesada's and Jimmy Palmiotti's Event comics imprint.  It was pretty funny if I remember correctly, but I unloaded it with the rest of my floppies a while back, and haven't read it in a number if years.  I also need to check out Beaulieu's new book about fairy tales for belligerent kids or whatever it is.

Also, as a side note, I just followed up a viewing of The Room with the Werewolf episode of MST3K.  They go together surprisingly well, thanks to the weird accents of the leads.

I've watched The Room only once, the Rifftrax version. It was funny, as per usual, but the next three nights Tommy Wiseau was a constant presence in my dreams. It was a banal but talkative presence, but because of all his talking I think of those dreams as nightmares. That was a few years ago and to this day I'm gun-shy about rewatching it out of fear the dreams will return.  Alas, I've shared too much...

Quote:

Just checked Jack Frost off the list. It lived up to the hype, and beyond.

The movie itself is one of the most watchable experiments in the MST3K filmography. The convoluted mashup of Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, woodland mushroom Yodas, spinning witch houses, midget Ents, Russian winter gods, and transbearformation made delightfull fun for the whole family. It'll make a great double feature with Pixar's Brave.

The actual dialogue was as funny as the riffs. "Waiiiiit! Let me do a good deed for you!"

Jack Frost is probably my personal favorite episode at this point. The evil sister remains my favorite character to appear in any of the episodes, she's absolutely delightful!

Actually any of the Russian movies they did are probably my favorites.

This gets a mention in the Amazing Colossal Episode Guide, but it still gets me how lavishly the Russo-Finnish movies are produced.  The original troika of The Day the Earth Froze, Magic Voyage of Sinbad, and Sword and the Dragon all look incredible, Jack Frost a little less so, but still.  I'd love to see cleaned up prints of all four.

All hilarious too.  Sword and the Dragon doesn't get much mention, but it's worth it for the Wind Demon sequence alone.

Been a big fan since childhood, probably around 5 or 6. Regarding the Joel or Mike question, I find Mike to be a livelier, more enjoyable presence. But Joel is quite funny in his own way as well, especially when he consoles the bots after a particularly trying experience (Manos comes to mind).

Many of my favorites have already been listed ("ROWSDOWER!"), but no mention of Hobgoblins? For shame! It has the infamous rake fight, the film canister being unveiled like the Ark of the Covenant, and the ruthless mockery of the shitty puppets.

"It's the 80s!  Do a lot of coke and vote for Ronald Reagan!"  That riff from the Hobgoblins episode is one of my most oft-quoted lines when watching movies from that decade.

"Ugh, everybody throw up tonight" is another good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Spider View Post

Been a big fan since childhood, probably around 5 or 6. Regarding the Joel or Mike question, I find Mike to be a livelier, more enjoyable presence. But Joel is quite funny in his own way as well, especially when he consoles the bots after a particularly trying experience (Manos comes to mind).

Many of my favorites have already been listed ("ROWSDOWER!"), but no mention of Hobgoblins? For shame! It has the infamous rake fight, the film canister being unveiled like the Ark of the Covenant, and the ruthless mockery of the shitty puppets.

"Why are we watching an insane woman?"

That's referring to the weird-ass subplot with the whiny hero's girlfriend wanting to become slutty, right? Hurray for 80s misogyny!

Checked out Warrior of the Lost World on Netflix last night.  I love when the guys just absolutely hate on someone like they do with "the Paper Chase guy" here.   And it really is probably the worst lead performance I ever saw; somehow utterly bland but still managing to be irritating.

MEGAWEAPON!

I like to go on Youtube and watch the shorts. A favorite is A Date With Your Family,

Have they collected the shorts on dvd?

I'm also one of those that doesn't like any of the stuff outside the theater and fast forwards until they get to the movie.

The shorts are BEAUTIFUL. Some of my personal favorites:

Circus on Ice: "Shut up and watch the deer get slaughtered, it's fun!"

Gumby's Robot Rumpus: "Pokey left a big surprise in your begonias!"

Both parts of the hilariously misguided Hired!: "You, swat at imaginary elves on the porch!"

And of course, Mr. B Natural: "Joel, I'm scared!"

Quote:
is gets a mention in the Amazing Colossal Episode Guide, but it still gets me how lavishly the Russo-Finnish movies are produced.  The original troika of The Day the Earth Froze, Magic Voyage of Sinbad, and Sword and the Dragon all look incredible, Jack Frost a little less so, but still.  I'd love to see cleaned up prints of all four.

I own a pretty wonderful Russian DVD of Ilya Muromets which is just the full cut of Sword of the Dragon.

It's actually a pretty wonderful film divorced of the MST3K treatment, lots of beautiful imagery that looks like an Ivan Bilibin painting come to life.

That sounds wonderful Lauren!  I'll have to track it down.

Hobgoblins.  Such a riseable film. "I don't trust a hero named Kevin who drives a prune-colored musclecar."  The director is still butthurt they made fun of him at the end.

The dearth of Shorts is my only big gripe about the Sci Fi years.  Be sure to watfch Assignment Venezuela.  It was intended for the never-produced MST3K CD-ROM (remember when those were a thing?) and made it out at a con, and one of the Rhino DVD's:

My favorite though, I didn't even see until a couple years back: A Young Man's Fancy. Slays me every time.  The entire episode.  Jam Handy was a genius, then it leads into one of Ed Wood's oddest fantasy's.

i LOVED that Gumby short as a kid. I probably rented that Gumby compilation tape from Blockbuster several times. It was pretty damn weird seeing it MSTied up, since I knew every beat and sound effect of it by heart. In fact, I'd say it's beyond riffing.

The episode it's attached to, Screaming Skull, is a pretty solid flick by MST standards. I should consider a career change to Weird Gardener Guy That Won't Go Away, So You Might As Well Just Let Him Do Whatever In His Mystery Shed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Hughes View Post

I like to go on Youtube and watch the shorts. A favorite is A Date With Your Family,

Have they collected the shorts on dvd?

I'm also one of those that doesn't like any of the stuff outside the theater and fast forwards until they get to the movie.

Rhino put out two or three shorts collections, mainly from episodes that were too expensive to license. Don't think Shout has done the same. (The county library system has a shitload of the older Rhino DVDs. They've been a godsend. Too bad my laptop is on its last legs, and I can't rip them.)

Honestly, Last Clear Chance isn't nearly as funny without the skit immediately following it.

Quote:
Hobgoblins.  Such a riseable film. "I don't trust a hero named Kevin who drives a prune-colored musclecar."  The director is still butthurt they made fun of him at the end.

I think he also suggested the movie to them as well totally unprepared for how much they'd actually hate it.

Hobgoblins is basically the Mike-era version of Manos, though I find it a lot more easier to sit through.

A[quote name="MrBananaGrabber" url="/community/t/144713/mystery-science-theater-3000-the-thread-of-fate/50#post_3385934"]My favorite though, I didn't even see until a couple years back: A Young Man's Fancy. Slays me every time. The entire episode. Jam Handy was a genius, then it leads into one of Ed Wood's oddest fantasy's.[/quote]
My God, that was gold. "So she's squishy and she's got 'the reds;' what the heck's goin' on around here!?"
AFutureWar was another good one (also featuring Robert Z'Dar). Although I cant watch Matrix Reloaded without focusing on Jean Claude Gosh Darn as an Agent.

My favorite bit in Future War is when the hero screams, and his shirt just disappears.  Kills me every time.  And yeah, when I realized that was him in Matrix Reloaded, I had a hard time concentrating on the film from that point on.

We can't overlook Overdrawn at the Memory Bank.   Another sci-fi era gem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenOrtega View Post

I think he also suggested the movie to them as well totally unprepared for how much they'd actually hate it.

Hobgoblins is basically the Mike-era version of Manos, though I find it a lot more easier to sit through.

Hobgoblins is gross, but it's not horribly depressing.  The Club Scum MC, Road Rash, and Fantastia all have solid careers to this day.  IMDB just told me that hobgoblins was released with an R rating!  What the hell for?  Stupidity?

The brains treatment of Manos makes me forget how dismal and depressing the movie is.

The only epoisode I have a hard time getting through is Atomic Brain.  I own it, and barely watch it.  Great short, and fun host segments, but that movie makes me feel so icky, it's just dismal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post

My God, that was gold. "So she's squishy and she's got 'the reds;' what the heck's goin' on around here!?"

The squishy jokes continue into the movie proper.  I love the nerd brother, and the "wow, she needs to meet a musician" line while Alexander Phipps is beguiling Squishy Judy with his knowledge of kitchen appliances.

Hobgoblins did give us this little slice of genius:

And then they used that song for the trailer for Hobgoblins 2.

No, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Olson View Post

My favorite bit in Future War is when the hero screams, and his shirt just disappears.  Kills me every time.  And yeah, when I realized that was him in Matrix Reloaded, I had a hard time concentrating on the film from that point on.

YES! I got the matrix box set cheap and then I saw him fighting Morpheus on a fucking truck! I guess he was one of those kung fu guys that were trying to make it Van Damme style and then he found himself on the set of a huge franchise being a bad guy.

I'm still baffled at the fact that Kalgan is Diabolik is the angel dude from Barbarella.  Not to mention Sinbad.

"Come on skull..."

That's John Phillip Law you pleb!!

You guys, Godzilla vs. Megalon had me in stitches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenOrtega View Post

That's John Phillip Law you pleb!!

Kal....gan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmurdoch View Post

FutureWar was another good one (also featuring Robert Z'Dar). Although I cant watch Matrix Reloaded without focusing on Jean Claude Gosh Darn as an Agent.

I had no idea that was him till I read that, now I'm wondering how much better the Matrix sequels would have been with Neo fighting dinosaurs as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweit View Post

I'm still baffled at the fact that Kalgan is Diabolik is the angel dude from Barbarella.  Not to mention Sinbad.

"Come on skull..."

And also no longer with us.

Cajun pan-blackened Kalgan.

De dinosaurs, dey do not haff good hands! So we humans, de Tools, must beeld for dem.

Watched Moon Zero Two to try and put myself to sleep, but was to entertained by the movie itself.  Catherine Schell is beguiling, and I've always liked James Olson.  The production design is wonderful and surreal.  It's the only Hammer film the MST crew ever did, and it's almost to good for the show, especially the earlier seasons.

Yet another "thanks for this thread" taking me down memory lane. I was in college when two friends said we should come over one night and watch this new TV show that they got a VCR tape of - one of the friends' mothers taped it off cable and shipped them to him each week.

It was Lost Continent and I had never, ever laughed so hard at anything in my life. The spot where Joel gets so frustrated with the movie that he stands up and starts yelling at the screen.. and the immortal "rock climbing, Joel" that I'll still bust out every now and again to a distressingly diminishing number of people who get the reference.

That season and season 3 are still the Gold Standard for me in MST3K-dom. Mike was good in small doses but I just really loved the sleepy-eyed wry delivery of Joel. And I'm sorry, without Trace, the show was a pale shadow of its former self (I've said that many times on here too, I'm sure). Without him, it just wasn't the same.

Lost Continent, Fugitive Alien, Mitchell, Cave Dwellers and Pod People are the Top 5 for me.