Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Thread Of Fate
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcjsavannah View Post

Yet another "thanks for this thread" taking me down memory lane. I was in college when two friends said we should come over one night and watch this new TV show that they got a VCR tape of - one of the friends' mothers taped it off cable and shipped them to him each week.

It was Lost Continent and I had never, ever laughed so hard at anything in my life. The spot where Joel gets so frustrated with the movie that he stands up and starts yelling at the screen.. and the immortal "rock climbing, Joel" that I'll still bust out every now and again to a distressingly diminishing number of people who get the reference.

That season and season 3 are still the Gold Standard for me in MST3K-dom. Mike was good in small doses but I just really loved the sleepy-eyed wry delivery of Joel. And I'm sorry, without Trace, the show was a pale shadow of its former self (I've said that many times on here too, I'm sure). Without him, it just wasn't the same.

Lost Continent, Fugitive Alien, Mitchell, Cave Dwellers and Pod People are the Top 5 for me.

I get the impression Trace got tired of playing Doctor Forrester, and the rest of the Brains got tired of writing the character.  His Crow was never better then season 7 though, certainly went out on a high note.

I still don't like Bill's Crow.  He never got a good delivery down, and just kinda spits the riffs at the screen.  Love him as Observer though.

I would have been so happy if they'd just had Dr. Bobo be the new Mad and gotten rid of Pearl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post

I would have been so happy if they'd just had Dr. Bobo be the new Mad and gotten rid of Pearl.

Deep Ape disappeared far to quickly.  I warmed to Pearl though, this scene, and the bookend at the end, I love: http://youtu.be/W0YW7b0ZHJI?t=3m47s

The Castle Forrester stuff in general, less so.

"How much Keefe is in this movie?"

Miles O'Keefe.

Thong! Fish is ready!

So let me get this straight. He skins the deer, tans the hides, builds an anodized aluminum frame.. oh, in about five minutes.

"Ator fliiiies so high, and so does my heeeaaaa-aaaaaaart"

Is it weird that based entirely on MST3K, and the writing of James Lileks, I really want to move to the upper midwest?

Also, Rutland, Vermont seems quite nice, and houses are cheap!

Obviously you never watched The Day The Earth Froze ...

"SAMPO !"

A[quote name="MrBananaGrabber" url="/community/t/144713/mystery-science-theater-3000-the-thread-of-fate/100#post_3393007"]Is it weird that based entirely on MST3K, and the writing of James Lileks, I really want to move to the upper midwest?[/quote]
Not at all! It's quite nice here, even aside from the above.

Also the Coen Brothers and Bob Dylan. Not that Lileks deserves to be in their company.

AYou best not be badmouthing James Lileks, sir.

Now, if you're badmouthing Bob Dylan I can deal with that, but I'm more than slightly biased, as I live in the City That Desperately Wishes Bob Dylan Loved It As Much As It Loves Him.

Just saw Sidehackers. It's a top ten episode for sure, nonstop brilliance all the way through. I can't believe I've gone through my whole life so far ignorant of the brilliant mesmerizing world of Sidehacking (summed up in musical form here by Joel and the bots:

There are too many incredible things about the movie to mention in one post. First, the music. WANNNNGGGG!!! I desperately need to figure out how to get that guitar tone. The guitar guy went full on industrial Metal Machine Music for the final shootout. Epic.

The villain, JC, is almost like a prototype for Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet. He's wildly charismatic, enough to attract a colorfull band of followers, yet also a tragic victim of his own compulsions. He loved Rommel like a brother, man! Better than his own flesh. He just wanted Rommel to ride with him, that's all!

Some gems from IMDB:

-The Southern accent guy's character is named Crapout. Crap. Out. Crapout.

-The lead actor, Ross Hagen, was born as Leland Lando Lilly. Holilly shit. He also voiced Landon Rickets in the game Red Dead Redemption.

-The director's followup movie, arriving a brisk 6 years later in 1975, was called...Supercock. The plot? Exactly what you'd expect. "An American cowboy in the Philippines gets mixed up in cockfighting.", also starring Logan Clarke as Cocknapper.

If I kept browsing IMDB, I'm sure there would be more gold to find. Anyways, I told my dad about the movie. He knows a lot about racing and motorsports. We discovered that Sidehacking still exists. Only now, it goes by the more respectable name of TT Sidecar racing, with redesigned sidecars that appear to be +/- 13.7% safer, except for all those times that they flip over any time they hit a pebble in the road. And it's still a racing sport where "teamwork" means making your buddy hang his ass out onto the pavement to stear.

Apparently, the Dutch are really good at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post

You best not be badmouthing James Lileks, sir.
Now, if you're badmouthing Bob Dylan I can deal with that, but I'm more than slightly biased, as I live in the City That Desperately Wishes Bob Dylan Loved It As Much As It Loves Him.

Lileks is funny, but I don't know why you'd want to live closer to him, as he's a blazing right-wing asshole.

A[quote name="The Prankster" url="/community/t/144713/mystery-science-theater-3000-the-thread-of-fate/100#post_3394179"]Lileks is funny, but I don't know why you'd want to live closer to him, as he's a blazing right-wing asshole.[/quote]
Haven't paid much attention to his political leanings, but Mike Nelson's not exactly your stereotypical Minnesota liberal, 'neither.

For some reason I never had a hard time buying Mike as a far-right type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenOrtega View Post

For some reason I never had a hard time buying Mike as a far-right type.

Really? Typically far right guys aren't funny.

It's just a vibe I picked up even before I knew for certain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenOrtega View Post

It's just a vibe I picked up even before I knew for certain.

Wow.....well good call then. You don't perhaps have any feelings about the lottery do you?

I can't believe sidehacking still exists.  "A great way to blow a weekend!  Or a knee."  Avoid the very similar MST episode "Hellcats"  Most of the writers were busy elsewhere when that episode was produced.

Wild Rebels is an essential though.  I think the only other biker movie the Brains did, and it's another great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Prankster View Post

Lileks is funny, but I don't know why you'd want to live closer to him, as he's a blazing right-wing asshole.

His writing on the Midwest makes it sound really charming.  I don't even read his political whinging.

Watched Manos lost night, haven't put it in in a couple years.  Still love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBananaGrabber View Post

I can't believe sidehacking still exists.  "A great way to blow a weekend!  Or a knee."

Side hacking lives, and can be for all ages. Like this BMX Sidehack bicycle, availble from Walmart for 220 dollars.

Only thing I can think to do with it, beside fan recreations of MST3K, is a reenactment of Ben Hur with 10 year olds.

When the environmental apocalypse comes, and the planet runs out of gasoline, the Wal Mart BMX Hackers will be king.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post

When the environmental apocalypse comes, and the planet runs out of gasoline, the Wal Mart BMX Hackers will be king.

No one was prepared for the... Robot Holocaust.

San Fransisco International has been in heavy rotation on my entertainment devices.

AI used to safeguard and worry over my VHS recordings of Saturday morning MST3K. Before the show started at 9 AM, there was always an infomercial from Carlton Sheit's 'No Money Down' real estate system. Now of course one can find nearly the entire run of the series on YouTube, comercial free. In many ways this is the best moment to be a MST3K fan since the show first debuted - even the blockbusters now get the Mystie treatment via Rifftrax. I still though treasure my early years watching the show, the sense of discovery. Truly this is one of the finest television programs ever broadcast in the history of the medium.

Indeed.  It's a deep well, even with youtube.  The Turkey Day specials, outtakes, special bumpers, tons of material.

I've got at least five sites bookmarked. Daily streaming sites, YouTube subscriptions. Club MST3K keeps a running tally of what's out there on the internet.

KEEP CIRCULATING THE FILES

Bumping because I'm halfway through Pod People right now, and "Idiot Control" is the new theme song for my life.

"WAKE UP, Kathy! And you came in a BEAT LATE, Sharon!","That's because you're always coming in early!"

ACrow's doofy voice for Trumpy has to be one of the best things Trace Beaulieu ever did.

MST3K got away from doing skits of scenes from the films they were parodying too early in the run of the show - those were some of their best bits. Joel acting as Capt. Joe in "Fugitive Alien," the whole music recording session in "Pod People," the soda jerk scene from "Giant Gila Monster.." it just added a whole new level of what they were trashing.

I think it's more that season 3-5 were the series at it's peak.

The stories about the record-breaking Skydive means I have to go home and watch Mitchell.

No wait, The Skydivers.  I meant The Skydivers.

"I STILL STAND BEHIND THE IDEA OF THE YELLOW THING!"

Runnin' down the road, tryin' to loosen my load, I got Coleman Francis on my mind.

Watched Red Zone Cuba this morning while waiting for my doctor in the appointment office. Good stuff.

"I am the Dark Specter of Food!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcjsavannah View Post

MST3K got away from doing skits of scenes from the films they were parodying too early in the run of the show - those were some of their best bits. Joel acting as Capt. Joe in "Fugitive Alien," the whole music recording session in "Pod People," the soda jerk scene from "Giant Gila Monster.." it just added a whole new level of what they were trashing.

Sketches that riff on scenes from the movie were hardly unheard of in the twilight of the show's run.  In fact, one of my favorites is from Track of the Moon Beast of the final season where they re-enact the movie's aggressively belabored and bemusing "practical joke" on the main character which ends with Crow breaking down and declaring that he hates himself.  Golden.

On the subject of the specials, one of my favorite things they ever did were the two summer blockbuster review shows during the Sci-fi era where they got to mock trailers and promotional material for then-current summer tentpoles.  Revisiting them today, the specials play as a kind of proto-Rifftrax but at the time it was a bit surreal to see Mike and the bots cracking wise over new and upcoming movies.  There's a particular highlight in the 1997 special when they reach the Batman and Robin behind-the-scenes footage featuring an uncomfortably candid moment of Joel Schumacher flirting with Alicia Silverstone.

Mike: That was the most horrifying bit of film I've ever seen.

Crow: SO LET'S ROLL IT AGAIN!!!!