Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Thread Of Fate
I will drive the five hours to Houston for this. They didn't even come that close last time.

Now let's see 2001 in 70mm get closer than 400 miles.
I just got my ticket for Space Mutiny on Thursday as well as tickets for The Brain and Deathstalker in NYC. Now I just need to figure out how the hell I'm getting there.

I also just pre-ordered the MST3K Lost & Found Collection:

https://mst3kstore.com/product/mts3k-the...ct_id=6851

I already own XIV and XVII....but I gotta have it. Now I understand why my friend owns a dozen different copies of Evil Dead.
"Oh, poor old Herman. It seems like him and good luck always was strangers. Well, maybe now he'll meet up with his other hand some place."
Got tickets for both Orlando shows. Managed to get the same seat for both shows too.

And fuck Ticketmaster to death for adding a nearly $12 service charge onto the ticket cost. I fail to see how I was provided $12's worth of service during my ticket ordering experience.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
Supposedly, one of the movies for the new season just leaked. I can't remember how to add spoiler tags, so I'll just link to the fan site where I first read the news:

http://forrestcrow.proboards.com/thread/...nfo?page=4
"Oh, poor old Herman. It seems like him and good luck always was strangers. Well, maybe now he'll meet up with his other hand some place."
Oh that would be sublime.

----------

Yeah I think it's a great choice if true.
I don't want to spoil it, but there's an actor who would be perfect for a guest appearance if this movie shows up on Season 12.
If that spoiler is accurate, they would probably have to literally wrestle that particular actor offset to prevent him from showing up.
Please let that movie really happen! It's a perfect choice.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
If it does come to that, I hope it's the only celebrity cameo this season. While none of the cameos last season were bad, they didn't really add anything, either.
I disagree. Anytime NPH shows up and sings, it adds value.
I can't stand to see myself go through the motions, that bring me back into these same old sad emotions.
I'd love to see them riff Savage Weekend.
BIG MCLARGEHUGE! TONIGHT!

I watched RiffTrax Julie & Jack last night--I can't believe the actress in that movie went on to actually be some what of a "star". The guy in the movie had less acting chops than Tommy Wiseau. It was pretty funny, and it was also funny to see actors that were also in Birdemic, especially the woman that played the mom, who--wait for it--plays a mom in this movie too! And holy shit, Tippi Hedren is in this movie? What the hell? And there is a "The Birds" joke!
I also appreciated Jerry Seinfeld, because what the fuck is Jerry Seinfeld doing on MST3K? Playing a sketch character, no less.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I found his appearance on the show kind of bizarre. It immediately brought to mind Prince of Space.

Prince: Leave the children alone!
Crow: You hear that, Jerry Seinfeld?
I do agree that celebrity cameos feel kind of out of place on MST3K.  The standout by a wide margin was Mark Hamill.  He really sunk his teeth into it.
I think Jerry and Joel are buddies. Joel was on one of the early episodes of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee.
Yeah, they met while Joel was doing stand-up in the 80s. Joel actually appears at the beginning of Jerry's "Stand-Up Confidential" HBO special.
Joel posted this message on the Kickstarter page on June 1st:

Quote:Starting on June 12th, we're launching our first MST3K Revival League "Pledge Drive," where we'll be offering a bunch of neat gifts for those of you who want to get involved again, including several that backers asked us to bring back for Season 12, including chances to...
BE A PRODUCER: Get credited on the new episodes, IMDB and the poster!
ADOPT CROW & SERVO: Own one of the robots used on screen! 
BE IN THE CREDITS: We're offering a limited number of "special thanks"! 
OWN SEASON 12: Collector's Edition Box Set and Digital Downloads! 
GET SEASON 12 GIFTS: Official Poster and Official Tote Bag

I haven't been able to find anything else online about the pledge drive.
I saw the Space Mutiny show last night. Fun, but a little underwhelming. I actually thought the HG Wells short at the beginning was funnier. I guess it's hard to top the original mst3k episode. Krull looks promising, though.

Speaking of Reb Brown movies, I'm currently watching Yor, the Hunter from the Future and I think it'd make for prime mst3k fodder. Only 20 minutes in, and there's already been a cheesy theme song, a fight with cavemen, and Reb Brown drinking the blood of a fanged papier-mâché triceratops.
I think it was that they've done the movie before and it's such a beloved episode that, even with new jokes, this felt a little like a retread. It was still fun, and we got some new additions to the David Ryder roll call.

----------

Just noticed that when Joel made the Kickstarter update he said they started filming on that Monday (the 4th), then later that week on Instagram, Jonah said the following Friday(the 8th) was the last day of "shooting for season 12". Dunno if that includes theater segments, but I'd assume so.

Either way, even with just six episodes, that seems like an intense schedule.
Fist McFacePunch! Space Mutiny was very fun--as mentioned, not as good as the original MST3K, but still fun. And everyone in the theater lost it when the continuity error happened, as I guess most of the folks had never seen it before. "Hey! Really enjoyed your funeral!"
So I may have ordered these...

[Image: SM-Coasters-SideA.jpg?itok=0HpWQUsH]

----------

The Season 12 pledge drive starts today.

I was able to pre-order the season box set on DVD and got my little brother's name in the credits of one episode. For some reason my credit card wouldn't work on the site but my PayPal account linked to the same card did work. Weird.
Joel posted an update on Kickstarter. First, he mentions that Deathstalker has been replaced with Deathstalker II for the live show. This makes sense. There was way too much rape and violence against women in the first movie to ever make it suitable for the show, even in a live format.

Joel also says they need to raise another $300,000 through the pledge drive just to cover the production costs of season 12 and break even. OUCH. I'm a little concerned how this will affect the release date. I don't want to have to wait a whole other year just to see 6 episodes.

In other news, Troma is getting in the movie-riffing business. A MST3K fan decided to make a tribute video to the show called "Tromasterpiece Theatre" that riffed Lloyd Kaufman's first move, The Battle of Love's Return (with Lloyd's blessing). Lloyd liked it so much that he put the whole episode up for free on Troma's YouTube page and on Troma's streaming service. He'll also be producing the second episode, a riff on Poultrygeist.

I watched the first episode a few nights ago and thought it was really funny. As far as riffing shows inspired by MST3K go, it's not quite as good as Incognito Cinema Warriors XP. But I think Tromasterpiece Theatre has a lot of potential.
I could definitely be satisified with six episodes a year plus touring, if that's what they're aiming for. At any rate we shouldn't be waiting much longer for Season 12 if they are at the editing stage. Turkey Day release, maybe?
Steve would approve.
Wait, Netflix ain't ponying up the dough for Season 12?
Deathstalker II is way more appropriate for MST sensibilities anyway.
(08-01-2018, 12:29 PM)Amos Wrote: Wait, Netflix ain't ponying up the dough for Season 12?

Yeah what? They can commission expensive projects like Lost in Space and Altered Carbon, but MST3K is struggling for donations? The hell?
Git' in under mah belly!
RIFFTRAX LIVE: KRULL was good fun. It's easy to see why this movie was a huge flop when it came out - it's drab, gray, dull and overlong. But the sheer 80sness of it all keeps it watchable and gives the gang good fodder to work with. As expected, they get good mileage out of Liam Neeson and Robbie Coltrane in minor roles...but not one mention of the shapeshifting comic relief guy being Charlie Bucket's teacher?!

It was disappointing in the moment that they didn't do a short, but given that the movie was a full two hours it was the right choice. That's usually about the threshold for what these shows can sustain without losing steam. Here's hoping we get more than two live shows next year.
We had to leave! Our feed kept dying so I just went to the lobby and had our tickets swapped for Saturday. My wife was so disappointed--not for Rifftrax in general, but to see Krull in general.
Sorry that happened to you. We lost a few seconds at the end of the film but otherwise the signal held up. I have heard enough stories about Fathom Events losing their feed to know it will happen to me someday, but it hasn't yet.
We lost the signal a few times, also near the end, but not enough to dampen the experience. First time I've ever had technical issues with one of these events.

And yes, this was a ton of fun. Loved the sideways Tom Servo cameo, and the film was just about the perfect length for one of these.

----------