Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Official "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" Remake Discussion Thread
Quote:

Adam_72:

Which brings me to another point- the HYSTERIA level that Hooper reached in the original, with the family throwing fits of anger one minute, and laughing their heads off the next... it's just not there in the remake.

That is an interesting point. I don't entirely agree, but still a valid point.

I recall something Joe Bob Briggs said about what makes an effective horror director. To paraphrase, "The director needs to make you think he's as crazy as his subject," watching the original Chainsaw, Hooper is a madman.

I liked the original for most part, but the sheer insanity the last act of the original was not present. Beil was decent, but she was in no way Marilyn Burns screaming like Banchee.
The redo was technicaly savy, but lacked the gritty look that made the original feel like a snuff film. As gross as that sounds it makes for a good ole' fashion creepshow.
Quote:

Floydian Trip:
Addix if a DVD came out entitled 'Running with Jessica Biel' and was just her going for a morning run for a couple hours. I'd be all over it.

No, she didn't have too many scenes running. As far as her performance, man she looked great, I mean she did a great job with the character. The only thing I thought was funny was her first scream in the van which I thought was a little overracted. Everything else was fantastic and she did a better job in this than most recent female leads in horror movies cept for Bettis who rocked!

Notice that I posted an amended version of the "too much running" bit. wink

Quote:

D. B. Cooper:
I've read that Heather Kafka's character Henrietta is supposed to be Leatherface's sister. The sequence with her and the Tea Lady in the motor home was fantastic. "You look tense. You need to relax." Such a creepy atmosphere thick in the air of that scene.

Really? I must have missed it then. I thought that scene was "roll-your-eyes" bad. I kept looking at my watch, waiting for that scene to end.

- Fixxxer
The hitchkier was she Leatehrface's sister. That was there kid or something
So... let me see if I have this right.

The family aren't cannibals, and Leatherface wears people's faces because he has a skin disease...

The words 'what the fuck?' come to mind...
I thought they were cannibles. Some of that meat did look human
Quote:

Ashxking2001:
The hitchkier was she Leatehrface's sister. That was there kid or something

HAHAHA...no. The hitchhiker was a victim. Her family (including the baby) had been captured and killed by Leatherface & the family. The girl in the trailer with the Tea Lady was Leatherface's sister.
Then Why didnt R Lee just get in the car adn run her down
Quote:

mrstiffie:
No one here has mentioned the salt scene. F-me.

I mentioned it...kind of...in passing (during the "hook scene" part).
I was listening to the radio on the way to work this morning and the hosts started talking about the remake. They both raved about it, thought it was excellent then opened the phone lines so callers could have their say. Person after person called in saying how much they loved it. One chick has seen it 4 times already and thinks it was fantastic.(I gotta track her down)

It was pretty cool hearing all these people say how much they enjoyed it. Made my morning.
Quote:

mrstiffie:
That was cruel. After awhile I thought that and the chick being saran-wrapped was going to lead to cannibalism, but alas. One should always saran-wrap their chick corpses to seal in freshness!

I thought the same thing too and then they just didn't do anything with it. My first thought during the "salt" scene was that he was curing the "meat". I take that back, my first thought was "Holy shit, that's gotta hurt. OUCH!!". Followed closely by thoughts of man-thigh jerky.
Haha the "salt scene" ... ouch! BUT I still think Mike Voguel could've expressed more pain perhaps?

I was hoping to get something out of the TCM contest (that trucker hat & shirt have to be mine) but I didn't so I'm down on that. On a good note, I'm ordering the shirt on New Line

So who was everyone's favorite character?

Personally Erin just kicks ass in so many ways and is hot as one can be ... but I liked Morgan a lot too. He just seemed really smart and brought some dark humor into the film. Old Monty is also up there ... the guy was awsome! Not to mention the hitch hiker. But I'm going with Erin.

- Mike.
No way I can give this more than 3 out of 5. For every cool scene and truly scary moment there was a hokey scene and incredibly telegraphed jump scares. I will say that the imagery and photography were excellent.

Leatherface - not quite Gunnar Hansen's version but what is? Still a badass, relentless, Nemesis-esque monster.

I thought the film really fell apart at the end. What was a nicely paced movie turned into a dizzying, MTV-edited mess. Audience I saw it with was pretty unamused and I can't blame 'em.

Not a bad movie (it's no House of the Dead, that's for sure) but I couldn't help but ask, "Why?". Just call it TCM part 5 and be the best sequel so far.
Quote:

mrstiffie:
Alright now folks, you have all avoided my question, and that is this (dammit!):

Did anyone catch who was handling the evidence at the begining of the movie?

The only reason I caught who is because I knew the characters going into it.

Anyone? Anyone?
Bueller? Bueller?

I honestly didn't notice. I don't suppose you would want to just tell me instead of making me go through the entire cast list guessing.
My two cents...

I just saw the remake and would say that it was on par with Hooper's original in terms of quality, intensity, and overall entertainment. Some of the acting was better, some not as good. The cinematography, while obviously different from the original, was just as effective in my opinion. I actually found this movie superior to Hooper's in a couple of ways (though it was also inferior in some ways). For instance, I thought the chainsaw scenes were better done in the remake, while the protagonist's decent into madness was better done in the original.

I heard from several that the plot was completely different from the first one, but I found that it was, in fact, very similar -- with just enough differences to keep you from feeling like you've already seen it before. There were some obvious nods to moments from the first film.

Having seen the first one at the drive-in many, many years ago, and having become quite attached to it, I had expected to be very disappointed with the remake. Instead, I personally found it to be very well done and an effective re-telling of a great story.

dmeister
Quote:

Hivesenated:
So who was everyone's favorite character?

Personally Erin just kicks ass in so many ways and is hot as one can be ... but I liked Morgan a lot too. He just seemed really smart and brought some dark humor into the film. Old Monty is also up there ... the guy was awsome! Not to mention the hitch hiker. But I'm going with Erin.

- Mike.

Just a question though, how old are you?

- Fixxxer
Quote:

Personally Erin just kicks ass in so many ways and is hot as one can be

I, personally, found her to be too distracting. She was too hot, and I often found myself staring at her intently instead of following the plot. I had the same problem with Kate Beckinsale in Underworld.

dmeister
Quote:

JD is Agent FIXXXERJust a question though, how old are you?

- Fixxxer

Why does it matter?
I'm guessing you are ready to attack me just because I found Erin to be damn fine. I'm 17 no shame in that.

mrstiffle - Whatever you do, don't say! I'm going to watch this again and now I have something to look for wink although I could always go to the official site and play the vid.

dmeister - eventhough I found Jessica to be hot as one can be ... I didn't really notice her too much since I was in-to the movie.

- Mike.
Quote:

mrstiffie:
Quote:

D. B. Cooper
[qb]
And speaking of the "special boy"...

Butterfinger was a great Leatherface, I thought. Closer to Ed Gein in spirit than in any of the other films.

WTF? Are you serious? Do you even know who Ed Gein was? He wore women's skin because he wanted to be a woman. He was off obviously, but he didn't kill for the sake of killing. Well he did but not with that sort of viciousness. He wanted to be a woman, something they removed from this one.

QB]

Yeah, I know. Gein wanted to be a woman. And Leatherface wanted to be pretty. They were both ashamed of what they were and wore human flesh to be something else.

And the rest? Guess what? It's a movie. There's bound to be some embelleshment.

You didn't bitch like this about the way Leatherface killed in the original.
Quote:

mrstiffie:
Addix: I'll email it to you, for Hivenseed's sake.

PM it to me. My e-mail isn't working right.
We saw it Friday night before the Marathon in Columbus.

As far as the movie goes, it's good, and I'll back what's been said. TCM part 5 would be a fair way to describe it.

It's nowhere near the original, and I feel that the mere fact that it relied more on gore than the original did, shows just how short this film falls from being great.

Plus... no hint of cannibalism WHATSOEVER?!?
Lame, a completely and utterly lame cop out.

Leatherface is different, and the "reason" he wears his masks completely takes away from the character that I've grown accustomed to.

However I'm glad that even with these cop outs, the film was brutal. It lapses into standard slasher mode which takes even more away from it, but still… it’s a pretty fucked up flick. Ermey’s affection for corpses elevated the film for me.
Quote:

mrstiffie
And you also have to give it to them for the face-of-the-boyfriend scene. F-me. While I have seen scarier, I was thinking more along the lines of what she must be thinking. Can you imagine that happening to you? Did she even catch that was her man? She seemed to be freaked in general, I didn't catch that she got that.

Yeah, when I read about that spoiler I was expecting a very dramatic face to face confrontation and instead I got a laugh and dead scene. That is my 2nd complain about Biel in the film, that scene could've been done much better but instead it just went in and out of her eyes. Dissapointing and pointless.

- Mike.
Quote:

That is my 2nd complain about Biel in the film, that scene could've been done much better but instead it just went in and out of her eyes. Dissapointing and pointless.

I saw this for a second time yesterday (yeah, my review was sincere...) and I've got to disagree with you. Biel sees it and gets it and it's played perfectly. There's a full on moment where Leatherface looks straight at her and she stares right back and it's played for subtlety. Does it need to be some grandiose, operatic, overdone moment?

Does it have more to do with your expectations? The friend I saw it with identified it as one of the most disturbing moments in the film for him and I myself thought it was a surprising and nastily effective moment when I first saw it. Maybe if you hadn't been waiting for it, you might've seen that it's a great freak-out and Biel's reaction (who's performance in that sequence is a series of edits, by the way, it's unfair to blame her for which takes of which reaction shots were chosen by the powers-that-be) is one of deep core-shaking rather than blathering.

I think that entire scene works great and dismissing it as "disappointing and pointless" is unfounded in my opinion.

You know Inspector ... you are right. Maybe that scene just didn't do much for me cause I was expecting a full out dramatic scene and longer. Or maybe it was just the fact that some stupid idiots were laughing in the front at the exact time.

- Mike.
Saw it again today and it holds up very well. I had my hand on the chicks leg that I went with and she was shaking like a leaf through the whole thing. Also 'bought ripped my arm off a dozen times. It's great to see reactions like that from other people since I don't. Makes me remember when I did as a kid. There were many screams and after one part some girl must have grabbed another she was with up front because she got yelled at very colorfully for almost breaking her arm. It was fairly packed for the first showing on a Sunday afternoon. (Watching The Bears play would have been even more horrifying)

Excellent movie and one of my favorites on the year without a doubt.

I don't get the complaints about the dude that got his leg cut off. I paid close attention to those scenes and it all seemed to be done very well to me, including the acting.

Who will left in the end who believes in having no hazards coming from chainsaw?