Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Django Unchained - Post-Release
(05-01-2019, 04:47 PM)Champion of Fun Wrote: From my understanding of talking with people who worked on the production, both Cohen & Russell’s scenes kept on getting pushed to due to the production being massively behind.  They spent a lot of money on the slave auction set where Cohen’s character’s parents were going to purchase Broomhilda to be his bride.  I actually got to take a tour of the set in New Orleans & saw this myself.  Also poster mock ups featuring the missing cast members.  IIRCC, Kurt was chilling & playing golf all the time & once the clock ran out on his availability, he bounced.  Don’t think Cohen or JGL ever showed up in Louisiana, but I could be wrong.  Friend of mine worked several positions on the film & I was lucky enough to be their plus one for the wrap party, it was wild as hell.  The blooper reel was priceless and I got to walk through the plantation house set after they finished the big shoot out earlier that morning (wrapped at 6am, party started 12 hours later).  So much practical gore, gallons of that shit strewn everywhere.  I was warned to watch my step, didn’t help much, damn place was saturated.

Fantastic stuff.  Thanks for sharing.
Very cool. Thanks!
What's interesting about Tarantino dropping scenes during filming - which is apparently also what happened with whatever was planned for the Zoe Bell character - is that DJANGO UNCHAINED was a particularly long shoot (130 filming days over an eight month period) and with a $100 million production budget his most expensive film up to his current one.  And while I would say the money is more or less on the screen, it's noteworthy that INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS is every bit as epic while having a significantly smaller budget.

The impression I'm left with is that Tarantino went ahead and shot DJANGO as a four-hour movie, and just decided to defer the decision of which 165 minutes to carve out of it in the editing.  Perhaps it was exactly this "oversampling" strategy that allowed him to drop certain sequences when things were getting tight, because he could be confident they wouldn't make the theatrical cut anyway.  It's not a very frugal way to make a movie though, and I have to imagine it posed a massive challenge during post-production, which was by all accounts a major crunch in order to make Christmas 2012.  The movie released five months after it had wrapped.  That this was his first movie without his longtime editor couldn't have made the process any easier.