Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CD Projekt RED's Cyberpunk 2077
is it finally actually about ethics in gaming journalism???
Game journalism is mostly a joke, but not exactly for the reasons said there.

There were no early review copies of the console version sent out, so there was no console footage to suppress (*except for a handfull of people that got PS4 copies that fell off a truck, and accidentally sold Best Buy copies). The reviews that dropped when the embargo lifted a few days before release were all the PC version.

As for the no-footage agreements, it is what it is. Reviewers want future access and invitations to CDPR events, so they will kiss ass and play nice. It's standard practice in all fields of "entertainment journalism". We're not talking about Reuters getting paid off to not report on a genocide here.
All the reviews I read pre-release were quite clear that they were reviewing the PC version, and they hadn't made the console versions available, and isn't that strange. Even IGN was saying this.

And then I bought the game and it works fine for me. I'd like to talk about this very interesting game I'm playing, but everyone's much more interested in joyously shitting on it. I suppose most people don't have access to a good version, so I can't even get too annoyed.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
the twitter thread reacting to that article calls a lot of its bad faith arguments out
(12-20-2020, 03:47 PM)arjen rudd Wrote: And then I bought the game and it works fine for me. 

That's great and everything, but there are legitimate complaints about this game because it is virtually unplayable on a massive number of consoles, which is why it was pulled by Sony.  If you wanna talk about the game, go for it, nobody's stopping you.  And if others feel like chiming in, I'm sure they will.  I don't think people have been shitting on the game here as much as just dropping what is obviously relevant info.  For instance I wouldn't consider talking about the sound mix problems in Tenet to be joyously shitting on the movie.  Just talking about the elephant in the room.

And now CDPR is about to get sued into oblivion over this fiasco.
https://www.pcgamer.com/cd-projekt-may-f...punk-2077/
In 1916 a U.S. court ruling, following the example of company law in Britain, effectively made it illegal for a corporation to be motivated by anything but the maximization of profit.  Corporate social-responsibility, therefore, became illegal. 
I would probably shit on the game more if I had it myself. I can only shit on it vicariously through other people's experiences. There are people uploading game footage from their high end PCs, and while it looks and runs miles better than the console versions, it's still a glicthapalooza with non-existant a.i., even with the latest patches.
Git' in under mah belly!
I don't get why they didn't just delay it for another year and just release the game for pc and next gen consoles. Did they not learn anything from all of the other shit games that were released before they were ready?
I think these screen captures and giant (Dildi? Is there a plural?) are just the next step in the JJ Abrams online adventure series. Very slyly played, Bitches Leave.-Tom Fuchs
(12-20-2020, 08:42 PM)boristhecheese Wrote: I don't get why they didn't just delay it for another year and just release the game for pc and next gen consoles.  Did they not learn anything from all of the other shit games that were released before they were ready?

To answer your first question, $$$.

To answer your second question, "no."  Hell, they didn't even learn from their OWN last high profile release, Witcher 3.

(12-20-2020, 09:38 PM)Overlord Wrote: To answer your first question, $$$.

To answer your second question, "no."  Hell, they didn't even learn from their OWN last high profile release, Witcher 3.

I get the $$$ part but it seems quite obvious that releasing a broken/unfinished game would be much more detrimental to the bottom line then another delay.  Stock value plummeting and their reputation going down the drain.  

I've heard of Witcher 3 but I didn't know that it was released with major issues.  

And I'll parrot a bunch of other comments in this thread, I'm damn glad that I didn't pre-order this when I was really jouncing for it.
I think these screen captures and giant (Dildi? Is there a plural?) are just the next step in the JJ Abrams online adventure series. Very slyly played, Bitches Leave.-Tom Fuchs
(12-20-2020, 11:24 PM)boristhecheese Wrote:
(12-20-2020, 09:38 PM)Overlord Wrote: To answer your first question, $$$.

I get the $$$ part but it seems quite obvious that releasing a broken/unfinished game would be much more detrimental to the bottom line then another delay.  Stock value plummeting and their reputation going down the drain.  

I've heard of Witcher 3 but I didn't know that it was released with major issues.  

And I'll parrot a bunch of other comments in this thread, I'm damn glad that I didn't pre-order this when I was really jouncing for it.
I think the reason why The Witcher 3's problems didn't get that much attention is that it was released during a time where jank like that was kind accepted for those kinds of games.  The most I remember hearing is them completely changing the control scheme.

But I think people are a lot less forgiving; also at least The Witcher 3, bugs and all, was clearly finished when it was released.  Can't really say that about Cyberpunk.
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
This was the last solid holiday season with PS4/Xbone leading the pack. CDPR took too long making the thing, and the investors saw this as their last best chance to get the most sales possible.
(12-24-2020, 12:45 PM)Amos Wrote: This was the last solid holiday season with PS4/Xbone leading the pack. CDPR took too long making the thing, and the investors saw this as their last best chance to get the most sales possible.

Oh I know.  It was a purely financial decision.  The game should have been a 2021 release. They should have cancelled the Xbox/Ps4 release entirely..or at the least delayed it.
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
G4TV is a thing again, or at least their YouTube channel is for now. The latest upload is Adam Sessler's sort of review of this. He basically says that yeah, this game will probably be great in a few months when it's finally finished, and to avoid the console versions like the plague.
Git' in under mah belly!
The apology tour begins, right on schedule. All is forgiven, great ones.

Free Next Gen console updates for all!

(........*probably maybe by the end of 2021)
(12-24-2020, 09:19 PM)cd underbelly Wrote: G4TV is a thing again, or at least their YouTube channel is for now. The latest upload is Adam Sessler's sort of review of this. He basically says that yeah, this game will probably be great in a few months when it's finally finished, and to avoid the console versions like the plague.

Whoa. G4 was great. Looks like it will also be back on tv. Sweet. I wonder if they are replacing the El Rey Network since that went dark on 1/1/21.

"Will it be on TV? Comcast pays the bills, so take a guess!"
https://g4tv.com/
El Rey went under? Damn. Well, I only really watched Lucha Underground on there anyway, and that ended forever ago so...

Well I guess that frees up Robert Rodriguez to be more hands-on with he Boba Fett show since he doesn't have a tv station to run anymore.
Git' in under mah belly!