Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Gun Control thread
I saw someone make the argument "Countries with stricter gun laws have fewer guns than we do, so you can't really compare statistics."

THEY HAVE FEWER GUNS BECAUSE THEY HAVE STRICTER GUN LAWS.

Christ.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
Point:

MISSED
(11-08-2018, 10:01 AM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: I just don't understand.

Let's just go with the conceit that "stricter gun control isn't the answer to mass shootings" for a second. Let's also acknowledge that Republicans, the ones who push that narrative, control the majority of the government.

If it's not stricter gun control, and Republicans have the power, WHY DON'T THEY DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS??????

The fact that this keeps happening, logically, means Trump and his administration have failed to protect the American people. And yet his supporters act like mass shootings are now just akin to natural disasters, things that just "happen" and we're meant to stand by and witness and endure them.

Because money.  Because they get a shit ton of money from the NRA to keep their mouths shuts.  So that's where we are now. Little by little, we're being trained to just accept this as normal.

It's normal to now accept that if you go to a nightclub or any public setting, you can get your ticket punched in--because it's now "a part of the plan."
All so a politician can get his monthly check and some douchebag "Patriot" can feel like a man with his assault rifles.
 I think all Marvel films are okay. This is my design.

Except for Thor 2: the literal worst.
The suspect has been identified as Ian David Long, a 28-year old former Marine who'd had previous "minor interactions" with local police .  Doesn't sound like he'd be "Middle Eastern-looking" to me.

EDIT:  Although judging by this photo, in the panic and chaos, I can see someone getting that impression:

----------

Can we not have our knee-jerk reaction to a mass shooting be to cry "false flag"?   That's the alt-right's territory, and I'd rather they didn't infect us with that particular dementia.

Someone willing to commit the mass murder of strangers and almost-certainly kill themselves in the process is not doing it in the hopes that it will make some other group look bad (which in turn requires no one ever knowing why they really did it).  They do it because they, in whatever twisted way, mean it.  At least that should be our assumption until any information to the contrary turns up.  Otherwise we're just fancasting the villain of an actual tragedy to confirm our existing political biases, and I really hate when we do that.
It's generally not my knee-jerk reaction, as I pointed out in my post.

----------

That is so fucking irresponsible to suggest it was someone of Middle Eastern descent before ascertaining if it actually was. Jesus Christ..
(11-08-2018, 11:46 AM)fraid uh noman Wrote: That is so fucking irresponsible to suggest it was someone of Middle Eastern descent before ascertaining if it actually was. Jesus Christ..

Even more ironic...Jesus Christ was of Middle Eastern decent. Smile
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grandpa Simpson
And Jesus would probably be called a dirty foreigner and deported...if not shot out of fear..
Modern day crucifixion.
Trump would accuse Jesus of being very unfair to him.
His follower cut the ear off a cop!!! These are very nasty people. Very nasty.
He'd be ok with Jesus as long as he didn't get more likes on Twitter or press coverage.

"He's just a former carpenter. I'm a billionaire president. And my wife is much more attractive. And any woman would tell you that I'm better in bed than Jesus.."
I keep coming back into this thread, thinking there's news. My mistake.
Jesus is the Good News.
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
(11-08-2018, 02:58 PM)bradito Wrote: I keep coming back into this thread, thinking there's news. My mistake.

You-you get your news here? Or can you just not help being a smart ass?
I can't help it.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/poli...928201002/

Quote:The sale of the high-capacity magazine used by a gunman who killed at least 12 people at a bar in Thousand Oaks, California, late Wednesday is prohibited under California law and possessing it would have been illegal, too, by a state law currently blocked by a federal court.

Before the new law could take effect, it was blocked by a federal judge after a lawsuit by the California Rifle & Pistol Association, the state National Rifle Association affiliate, argued the law was unconstitutional. The U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the injunction pending the resolution of the lawsuit.

The NRA. Again. 

Blood on their hands.
Gamertag: Tweakee
I'm no lawyer, but can victims file a wrongful death class action lawsuit against the NRA for shit like this? Yeah, it probably won't win. Even so, forcing them to spend money on their defense will mean that they have less money to buy judges and politicians.
I don't think there's any amount of lawsuits in the world that could put a dent in them. At least from a financial standpoint. Not that I'd be against overwhelming them with lawsuits. But then...I'm growing exhaustingly cynical. The NRA could probably initiate a Kickstarter to help with their financial "woes" in such an event and actually come out ahead..
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/poli...902918002/

Quote:The National Rifle Association claims it's facing deep financial problems and it might go broke

I'm sure they're exaggerating, but efforts to starve them have an impact.
In August, it was reported that they were in financial trouble. Have a pro-2A stooge in the White House peels away at their donations.

ETA: Farsight found the link.
If Trump's presidency leads to either the end of the NRA or Facebook, it may have been worth it.
They say blessings come in disguise..
How insane: gun shooting survivors who have to do it all over again:

https://apnews.com/511d87c2d847453d9a143dfbe991d5bb

Not the first time this year I've read a story like this either.
The NRA is really tired of doctors, the people who have to treat victims of AR-15 wounds, giving their opinions on mass shootings:

https://twitter.com/NRA/status/1060256567914909702

Quote:Someone should tell self-important  anti-gun doctors to stay in their lane. Half of the articles in Annals of Internal Medicine are pushing for gun control. Most upsetting, however, the medical community seems to have consulted NO ONE but themselves.
The Borderline shooting has kind of fucked me up all day today. I grew up in Thousand Oaks, and I still go up there pretty frequently because it's got a couple of my favourite restaurants and some great hiking trails. It's not a big city and people tend to stay there, so this is the first mass shooting where there's been a significant chance that I might know some of the victims or even the shooter. Thankfully I don't know the shooter and so far as I have been able to tell I don't know any of the victims, but reading accounts from the survivors and reactions from residents I get the shock that everybody must be feeling. I actually did break down crying this morning when I first read the details.

T.O. is the very definition of a 'that could never happen here' town, but it's also kind of inevitable that it would.
(11-09-2018, 12:52 AM)Iron Maiden Wrote: The NRA is really tired of doctors, the people who have to treat victims of AR-15 wounds, giving their opinions on mass shootings:

Quote:Someone should tell self-important  anti-gun doctors to stay in their lane. Half of the articles in Annals of Internal Medicine are pushing for gun control. Most upsetting, however, the medical community seems to have consulted NO ONE but themselves.

Who else is the medical community supposed to consult with in matters related to medicine? Witch doctors?
(11-09-2018, 12:52 AM)Iron Maiden Wrote: The NRA is really tired of doctors, the people who have to treat victims of AR-15 wounds, giving their opinions on mass shootings:

Lots of doctors have been responding to the NRA's tweet.  I liked this one:

https://twitter.com/drjudymelinek/status...8532629504

Quote:Do you have any idea how many bullets I pull out of corpses weekly? This isn’t just my lane. It’s my fucking highway.
Jesus fucking christ.

Quote:Documents obtained by ABC News show Long posted on social media at 11:24 p.m. saying, "It's too bad I won't get to see all the illogical and pathetic reasons people will put in my mouth as to why I did it. Fact is I had no reason to do it, and I just thought... f***it, life is boring so why not?"

Then, at 11:27 p.m., he posted, "I hope people call me insane (2 smiley face emojis)...wouldn't that just be a big ball of irony? Yeah... I'm insane, but the only thing you people do after these shootings is 'hopes and prayers'... or 'keep you in my thoughts'... every time... and wonder why these keep happening... (2 more smiley face emojis).
I'm trying to think of a way we can counsel most people to seek help for suicidal thoughts, but also counsel guys like this to commit suicide rather than kill a bunch of innocent people.

If we picked an uninhabited island, declared it a law-free zone, and offered to transport anyone who wanted to go there with food and weapons, I wonder how many would accept? I know it sounds like a movie plot, but what we're doing now isn't working.
California does have a law where a gun violence restraining order could be used to disarm someone.  How prevalent is that to this particular case?  I don't know, but not many Californians seem to know the 2016 law exists:

https://twitter.com/loisbeckett/status/1...6173078528

Quote:From what we know so far, the Thousand Oaks shooting is a *textbook case* where a gun violence restraining order law could have been used to disarm the shooter. California has had this law since 2016, but many family members/law enforcement still don't know the law exists.

Florida used its new gun violence restraining law more often in the first *five months* after the law was signed than California did in the first *two years,* @misstessowen reported yesterday. 
(11-10-2018, 12:05 AM)farsight Wrote: I'm trying to think of a way we can counsel most people to seek help for suicidal thoughts, but also counsel guys like this to commit suicide rather than kill a bunch of innocent people.

If we picked an uninhabited island, declared it a law-free zone, and offered to transport anyone who wanted to go there with food and weapons, I wonder how many would accept?  I know it sounds like a movie plot, but what we're doing now isn't working.

Well, I mean, they won't. At the end of the day, people like that are cowards.

That's why they kill themselves before they get apprehended by the cops--they don't have to accept responsibility for their own shit lives.
 I think all Marvel films are okay. This is my design.

Except for Thor 2: the literal worst.
DC police arrested an armed man who communicated with the Pittsburgh synagogue shooter on Gab and said the shooting was a “dry run."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/pub...c61bab5264

Quote:A D.C. man who described himself as a white nationalist to law enforcement officers and became a social-media follower of the suspect in the Pittsburgh synagogue shooting has been arrested on a gun charge after his worried relatives contacted the authorities, according to federal court filings.

Jeffrey R. Clark Jr., 30, is charged with illegally possessing a firearm and a high-capacity magazine and made his initial court appearance Tuesday afternoon in U.S. District Court in Washington. He was ordered held until Friday.

Clark, who lives in the Bloomingdale neighborhood, was arrested Nov. 9, court filings show, after two family members alerted police to his increasingly agitated outbursts, including that the 11 victims of the Pittsburgh shooting “deserved it.” The outbursts occurred in the wake of Clark’s brother’s suicide.

Edward Clark, 23, fatally shot himself on Roosevelt Island near Washington within hours of the Oct. 27 Pittsburgh shooting at Tree of Life synagogue, the court filings for Jeffrey Clark said.

Relatives told police both brothers had been involved in alt-right movements, the court records said. Jeffrey Clark told FBI agents he and his brother became interested in guns in 2016 “because they believed there was going to be a civil war,” according to an account of his statement filed in court.

Police said in court documents that he used the social networking site Gab to share his views with others, including Robert Bowers, the suburban Pittsburgh man charged with federal hates crimes in the synagogue attack. Jeffrey Clark was “DC Bowl Gang” on the site, court files said, and Edward Clark went by “DC_Stormer.”
Here's more on Jeffery Clark's Nazism. He worshipped Dylan Roof and had direct ties to Richard Spencer, Jack Posobiec and the Synagogue shooter:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jef...mg00000004