Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My paintings, sketches and other artsy nonsense....

Hi, all!  A couple of you already know I'm an artist.  A freelance illustrator, to be specific.  I began this venture in 2008.  Before that, I had only been dabbling - a sketch or final piece here and there.  It's the usual story:  worked full-time in office work (a lot of tech stuff), focused on other "hobbies" (I was competitively active in sports) and filled my need of creative output occasionally.  Never took it seriously.

Until 2005 when I enrolled in school for Animation/VFX and graduated three years later with a Associates Degree in said major.  The AA degree is because I already knew how to draw - didn't need in depth studies in that area.  Wanted to focus on new areas for illustration skills.

I decided to post some work here as I'm working on opening up my channels and see where I can create new contacts.  Plus, to share my work.  I hope it's something you all enjoy!

First of all, my blog:  Studio Smugbug

Some samples for today:

This is for an upcoming new wine label for a new vintner in the area.  I'm also designing the label - not just doing the art.

<br />

These are for a local brewery/pub and their bottle beer labels.  I just did the art:

<br />

<br />

<br />

I've done more art for this brewery - these are just a sampling!

Just artsy stuff...unless I otherwise say so, it's ALL digital.  Be it Photoshop, Painter or a combo of the two.  Occassionally, Sketchbook Pro...

Fall of the Leaf

<br />

Punkish

<br />

Cleavage (this was published in Ballistic Publishing's "Expose 10")

<br />

Space Squad!!

<br />

Thank you for allowing me to share.  I intend on updating with more work whenever time allows!  If that's okay....

Aaaand, I'm baaaaaaack.  I'll throw up a couple more.  I intend on posting up my daily sketches - would that be of interest to anyone?  I'm also working on a couple of sequential (comic) pieces.  Have script in hand...first sequentials in like, FOREVER.  So I'm rusty.

And a few commission pieces.  About nine at the moment.  BTW, I do accept commissions. And am looking for more freelance work <--thought I should mention this.

Commission piece....for a logo....

<br />

My version of Namor, the Sub-Mariner

<br />

And a pin up I hope to complete.....someday....

<br />

A[quote name="smugbug" url="/community/t/147098/my-paintings-sketches-and-other-artsy-nonsense#post_3480310"]  I intend on posting up my daily sketches - would that be of interest to anyone?  I'm also working on a couple of sequential (comic) pieces.  Have script in hand...first sequentials in like, FOREVER.  So I'm rusty.
[/quote]

Do it!

These are amazing, I would love to see how your process works when making these on the computer.

Okee dokee - and thank you.  My digital painting process is almost exactly like my traditional.  As a matter of fact, if you draw/paint traditionally, very similar digitally.

The above gif is the process for one piece:

<br />

These are great! Especially like the Saturday Evening Post-style Sub-Mariner. Smile

I've repainted Space Squad! and posted a side-by-side comparison of the original and the new on my blog.

<br />

In 2011 and 2012 I was a guest artist for a pre-college art program at OSU (Oregon State U).  Here's the quickie promo piece I put together for 2012 (and I've updated the Space Squad!! strip with the newly repainted version):

<br />

Gorgeous work, smug.