Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CAMERON ON AVATAR 2 & 3: “I’M LIVING IN PANDORA RIGHT NOW.”
by Tim Kelly: link

Wondering where James Cameron's been? Pandora, duh.
AC'mon James!! Go for broke and shoot this shit at 120 fps!!!

YOU CAN'T LOSE! Never bet against James!

Na'vi are the worst thing ever created.
AWho woulda guessed that James was otherkin?

Okay, I've not seen Avatar, nor do I ever plan to, but just how immersive an experience was it?

Quote:
At the same time, you have to massage their feet with things that they know and love about the first film.

What's he going to do for the third?  Stick his tongue in the holiest of holies? (Or maybe his braid, from what I've heard of the first.)

A[quote name="Bailey" url="/community/t/147163/cameron-on-avatar-2-3-i-m-living-in-pandora-right-now#post_3482024"]Okay, I've not seen Avatar, nor do I ever plan to, but just how immersive an experience was it?[/quote]
It's some gorgeous scenery dropped onto a fairly well-paced retelling of every single "going native" story ever written right on back to Edgar Rice Burroughs.
AOh, and it does show us that Sigourney Weaver makes an excellent chain-smoking cranky older lady. I want to see her start playing characters who spend the entire movie with a flask of Wild Turkey in one hand and a pack of Marlboros in the other, with lottery-ticket stubs poking out of her breast pocket.

She's also the author of a book on the Na'avi. An actual bound and printed book...in the year 2154. I know Cameron had to make it easy for audiences, but the technological discrepancies are absurd and too numerous to tally up here. They can make 20ft tall rock 'em sock 'em robots and load a man's mind into a genetically engineered alien body, but the main motherfucker is still getting about in a wheelchair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post

She's also the author of a book on the Na'avi. An actual bound and printed book...in the year 2154. I know Cameron had to make it easy for audiences, but the technological discrepancies are absurd and too numerous to tally up here. They can make 20ft tall rock 'em sock 'em robots and load a man's mind into a genetically engineered alien body, but the main motherfucker is still getting about in a wheelchair?

Ahh shit I never thought about that. I forget, in the movie did they promise to fix his legs after the Avatar thing was over? Because if not it's hard to beleive the tech didn't exist to fix his legs. On the other hand if it does it kind of makes the Avatar experience just a little less special given that he will eventually have legs again. Although being like 8 foot tall does sound fun.

The tech was there. It was too expensive for Jake Sully. You can complain all you want about the overdone story, but that grip is made moot by the film's text.

AThat was one of the main elements of the plot, that the corporation promised to give him his legs back in exchange for his soul. Instead Jake found his destiny in the role of 'Taruk Maktor'.
A[quote name="Bailey" url="/community/t/147163/cameron-on-avatar-2-3-i-m-living-in-pandora-right-now#post_3482024"]Okay, I've not seen Avatar, nor do I ever plan to, but just how immersive an experience was it?

What's he going to do for the third?  Stick his tongue in the holiest of holies? (Or maybe his braid, from what I've heard of the first.)
[/quote]

Avatar had a level of quality and care put into to the effects that made the fantasy world seem far more real than most movies, and the 3D remains one of the best examples of the tech I've seen.

Without the dazzle of 3D wizardry you are left with one incredible piece of dogshit script that insults the viewer on an incredible level. The sad thing is that even with the set up of the first big jimmy C will still feel the need to patronize the shit out of the viewer with unneeded exposition and characters that are pale imitations of those from Aliens (and others).

Nothing good will come of this (apart from maybe the fact he will abandon his live action Battle Angel project...)...

ADamn I really wanted to see Battle Angel, and Avatar has a very competent script with solid if unexceptional characters. There are some great performances (the villain is fantastic) and Cameron has mastered action and spectacle which helps beef up the 'care worn' plot elements.

I'm kind of thinking Avatar 2 is going to surprise everyone and be really great.

A competent script? Really? I have never heard it been called that. The plot explanation and talk of unobtainium is clunky as all hell and Vasquez substitute and her dialogue is pathetic. There are many other things I disliked but my memory has replaced them with other tidbits of useless info.

On my first viewing it was about 45 minutes in before the 3D dazzle wore off and I started to notice the stupid shit that was being said. On a rewatch on the small screen the verbal clunk reared its head about 20 minutes in and was so mind numbing I did not reach the end of the film.

Incredibly long visually excellent set pieces a good film does not make.

Also I really wanted to see Battle Angel when it was announced in pre Titanic days. No longer do I wish to see the inevitable botching of Alita.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

Na'vi are the worst thing ever created.

Worse than TDKR?

Did TDKR have any Na'vi?

Avatar's biggest crime is being so damn predictable. Even Titanic, a story we all knew the ultimate ending to, was full of unexpected twists and turns. I enjoy the film overall, but it's easily Cameron's worst script.

A[quote name="Nexus-7" url="/community/t/147163/cameron-on-avatar-2-3-i-m-living-in-pandora-right-now#post_3482434"]Avatar's biggest crime is being so damn predictable. Even Titanic, a story we all knew the ultimate ending to, was full of unexpected twists and turns. I enjoy the film overall, but it's easily Cameron's worst script.
[/quote]

That's basically it. It was predictable, which made it boring as shit.

Though this is probably one of the few films where I can't find any faults whatsoever in the bad guy's logic. A few chunks of inanimate rock are going to solve Earth's energy crisis at the cost of a few hippies moving to another tree. If it comes down to clean air for my family and a bunch of tree fucking savages, you best believe I'm nuking those blue fucks from orbit.

The 3-D in Avatar was so blah. I'm sorry, but "immersion 3-D" seems so beside the point.

So, what was left after the pretentious non-3-D 3-D?

"Shut your pie hole!'

*sighs*

AHell, am I the only one around here who likes "Avatar?"

That being said, I'd rather Cameron tackle another project rather than spend the rest of his career cranking out "Avatar" sequels.
A[quote name="dude hallenbeck" url="/community/t/147163/cameron-on-avatar-2-3-i-m-living-in-pandora-right-now#post_3482446"]Though this is probably one of the few films where I can't find any faults whatsoever in the bad guy's logic. A few chunks of inanimate rock are going to solve Earth's energy crisis at the cost of a few hippies moving to another tree. If it comes down to clean air for my family and a bunch of tree fucking savages, you best believe I'm nuking those blue fucks from orbit.[/quote]
I'd like to think that their planet is their planet, but they're such smug twats to everybody that I'm pretty much on the "yeah, just nuke the fuckers" bandwagon as well. Why does Hollywood insist making its enlightened primitives be such huge dicks to everyone else? If they're so goddamn noble and enlightened, shouldn't they be, y'know, nice? Polite, at least?

[quote name="Bradito" url="/community/t/147163/cameron-on-avatar-2-3-i-m-living-in-pandora-right-now#post_3482533"]Hell, am I the only one around here who likes "Avatar?"

That being said, I'd rather Cameron tackle another project rather than spend the rest of his career cranking out "Avatar" sequels.[/quote]
Eh...I enjoy it, it's well-paced and a fun ride even if it's predictable as hell and populated by cardboard cutouts. That said, it's one of those movies that I find myself less impressed by on every subsequent rewatch.

And yeah, I'm seriously pissed about the idea that we need two more of these instead of Alita or absolutely anything else. Could we send a man back in time after True Lies to cart the good James Cameron forward to the present?

There are two truisms in Hollywood:

1. Nobody knows anything

2. Never second-guess Cameron.

Three times, the man's made the most expensive movie ever, and each has become the highest-grossing movie ever.

As for the "anticipation" cited in the article, it's fun to remember how EVERYONE was ready for Titanic to fail, right up to when we saw the first trailer. I still have the poster for the canceled July release.

Cameron knows Avatar 2 needs to succeed on an even larger scale than Avatar 1, and I think he's going to pull it off. He'll be in his natural element as the film takes place undersea. Never bet against James Cameron when he's fronting a water based blockbuster.

AI'm not saying it won't make money. It'll make more money on the opening night than I'll ever see in my lifetime, probably by an order of magnitude. But unless Cameron addresses the issues with the story he had in the first movie, it's still going to be largely empty (if engaging) spectacle.

It does gall me to admit that I have something to learn from the man who gave us "Something Picasso".

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post

I'm not saying it won't make money. It'll make more money on the opening night than I'll ever see in my lifetime, probably by an order of magnitude. But unless Cameron addresses the issues with the story he had in the first movie, it's still going to be largely empty (if engaging) spectacle.

I think it's well within his powers to improve Avatar on every level. T2 is a better film than T1 (my opinion), so he's done it before and I think he can successfully make this an amazing movie experience. I'm really eager to see what he can do under water with total freedom and unlimited budget - something he's never had on any other water based movie he's made.

Quote:

. That said, it's one of those movies that I find myself less impressed by on every subsequent rewatch.

This. AVATAR is a technical marvel but a flat story that offers diminishing returns on repeat viewings.

AMy undying love of Michelle Rodriguez knows no diminishing returns!
A[quote name="Dr Harford" url="/community/t/147163/cameron-on-avatar-2-3-i-m-living-in-pandora-right-now#post_3482573"]I think it's well within his powers to improve Avatar on every level. T2 is a better film than T1 (my opinion), so he's done it before and I think he can successfully make this an amazing movie experience. I'm really eager to see what he can do under water with total freedom and unlimited budget - something he's never had on any other water based movie he's made.[/quote]
It's possible, sure. But I'm not sure it's going to happen. The thing is that looking at Cameron's body of work, there's a pretty noticeable tendency for him to get more lost in spectacle the more budget he has to work with. The Terminator was Cameron just barely out from training under Roger "I Wipe With Old Newspaper Because It Saves Money" Corman, working on only somewhat more than a shoestring - friggin' The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai had nearly three times its budget - and it was tight and focused. By comparison, by the time he got to Terminator 2 he was getting to do megabudget Hollywood blockbuster fare, and while Terminator 2 still kicks ass, it's not quite so laser-focused or breathlessly-paced. Titanic was sprawling - it worked, because it's not an action movie and could use the room to breathe, but it definitely did spend a lot of time having people stroll around a very lovely, very expensive boat while they talked about 1900s women's-lib and art and whatever.

So then there's that twelve-year break from feature films. For all the hype and all the money that went into it, for as much of a "thing" as it was at the time, what we ultimately got was a very pretty, fairly well-paced (but not remotely as tight or focused as oldschool Cameron) spectacle blockbuster with a story that's been constantly, pithily, but not at all inaccurately summarized as "Dances with Smurfs." And it just kinda makes some of us wonder "what, that was it?" Twelve years we waited for the return to action filmmaking of the guy who defined action filmmaking for a decade, and that's what we got?

It is possible that it's just a bit of a stumble on returning to a genre he hasn't worked in since Dark Angel, and that Avatar 2 will have worked out the issues. But...then again, considering that A. we're getting two more of a movie that was only just "pretty fun but rather empty" instead of something new, and more importantly B. now he's going to have even more money to play with, and we've seen what that does to his sense of restraint, my hopes are not high.
A[quote name="Bradito" url="/community/t/147163/cameron-on-avatar-2-3-i-m-living-in-pandora-right-now#post_3482606"]My undying love of Michelle Rodriguez knows no diminishing returns![/quote]
You know what, if the entirety of Avatar 2 was just Trudy turning out to be not dead and getting to pilot a combat sub or something, I would be completely okay with that.
Quote:

You know what, if the entirety of Avatar 2 was just Trudy turning out to be not dead and getting to pilot a combat sub or something, I would be completely okay with that.

Thirded.

AFourthed-ed.

You can't fourth your own post!

ASeconded.