Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ideas For Future Drafts
AI thought it might be fun to plan some other drafts for the future. You can post ideas here. I'd be interested to see how outside the box we can go. Here are some of my ideas:

Best Years In Film History

We can only draft films released during the 10 best film years in US history. We'd have to come up with some kind of agreed list of years, of course, but off the top of my head we got 1939, 1946, 2007, 1999, 1971, 1989. Could be fun to see what would go first, Stagecoach or Do The Right Thing.

Underrated Draft

As detailed in the Sci-Fi draft discussion thread. It'd be totally nuts but a lot of fun. The downside is that all the strategy and machinations would probably fall to the wayside, as people's lists would be a lot more personal than normal, but the discussion would be great.

Oscar Winners and Nominees

This would maybe have less outside the box picks than most, but as long as the films can have won/been nominated for anything, there can still be some surprises. Mondo Cane would be eligible!

Hybrids

Mutant films. To be eligible, it's got to be a melding of two genres. Lot of fun arguments and creative interpretations to be had here. I think comedy/dramas would have to be disqualified, unless a particularly compelling argument can be made.

Road Movies.  Have we done a road movies draft?

Musicals.

Have we ever done a COMEDY draft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

Have we ever done a COMEDY draft?

I don't think so.  I'd totally be down for that.

I will still beat the drum for a one-hour television drama draft, too.  That would be like Wal-Mart on Black Friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post

I will still beat the drum for a one-hour television drama draft, too.  That would be like Wal-Mart on Black Friday.

Oh, I like that.

Bildungsromans?

AMaybe a draft for individual episodes of television. But a one hour television drama draft could barely sustain two rounds of picks.

Has there ever been a Movie Villains draft?  That could be a blast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Ripoll View Post

Maybe a draft for individual episodes of television. But a one hour television drama draft could barely sustain two rounds of picks.

If it got the same turnout as the sci-fi draft, but that might be expecting too much.  But how about doing individual seasons, rather than episodes?

Villains is great too.

Quote:

Maybe a draft for individual episodes of television. But a one hour television drama draft could barely sustain two rounds of picks.

Totally disagree.  There is 60+ years of one-hour television to choose from.  Not everything is as vital as THE WIRE or MAD MEN, but plenty of quality television.

Quote:

Underrated Draft

As detailed in the Sci-Fi draft discussion thread. It'd be totally nuts but a lot of fun. The downside is that all the strategy and machinations would probably fall to the wayside, as people's lists would be a lot more personal than normal, but the discussion would be great.

Never done a draft but this one would probably get me to join in.

I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
A[quote name="Ratty" url="/community/t/147438/ideas-for-future-drafts#post_3490332"]
Totally disagree.  There is 60+ years of one-hour television to choose from.  Not everything is as vital as THE WIRE or MAD MEN, but plenty of quality television.
[/quote]

I don't think I'm being unfair when I say that television does not have the legacy of quality that film does. But maybe that's just me.
ATv shows
Comic Books
Cartoons
Music
Video games

We already did a video game draft.

Expanding on my earlier suggestion, there's all kinds of ideas to be had by isolating individual elements of movies (like the AFI does):  Best Movie Villains; Best Movie Heroes;  Best Movie Quotes; Best Movie Monsters; etc.

Quote:

I don't think I'm being unfair when I say that television does not have the legacy of quality that film does. But maybe that's just me.

It's fair.  But if you break if we were to seasons rather than series, it gets to a range that is comparable to say, the 90's in film.

I would like to beat the drum for a Casting Draft.

Pick an older, but seminal film that most people have seen. Then, draft the actors as though it were to be filmed this week (i.e. modern actors). Most of the classics have at least 5 major roles. It would be interesting to see if you go for the leading man slot in the first round, or nab that character actor before someone else can, but take a weaker leading man.  Winner is the person with the best collection of actors to pull off the film.

Example:  Gone with the Wind Draft.

Rhett: Paul Walker

Scarlett: Jennifer Connelly

Ashley: Tobey McGuire

Melanie: Scarlett Johansson

Mammy: Octavia Spencer

I decide to skip the Rhett Butler role and nab a Oscar winner Octavia Spencer. But by the time I get back to Rhett, I, for some reason, only have Paul Walker. I have failed and my shame lingers on the board for years.

ETA: It works a lot like a football draft. I may have great receivers, defence, and running backs, but lead by Rex Grossman. Its a team... but... Big Grin

Also, how about Adaptations?

We might want to exclude remakes of older movies that aren't themselves based on source material.  So all versions of The Thing are eligible as an adaptation of Who Goes There?, but Texas Chainsaw 3D is not eligible as an adaptation of Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Edit:  Actually, it's probably as easy as limiting it to films that include a "based on" credit.

AWe did a Comedy Knockout. I forget the rules of that (I think Chewers assign points and top 5 comedies of each decade survive for an all out brawl across decades), but I'm not sure we did a draft. There was a Horror and Action draft already, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post

Also, how about Adaptations?

We might want to exclude remakes of older movies that aren't themselves based on source material.  So all versions of The Thing are eligible as an adaptation of Who Goes There?, but Texas Chainsaw 3D is not eligible as an adaptation of Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Edit:  Actually, it's probably as easy as limiting it to films that include a "based on" credit.

Another good one.

Ripoll's idea of "Underrated" is an interesting one.

It will be similar to the FAIL draft we did in that most of the choices will be completely subjective.

I think a Comedy draft could be interesting because it's a wide field as far as what could honestly be considered a comedy.

I like the idea of a one-hour TV drama draft. But we might have to be very strict with what qualifies. Because some "action" or "sci-fi" shows are technically dramas also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTyres View Post

I would like to beat the drum for a Casting Draft.

Pick an older, but seminal film that most people have seen. Then, draft the actors as though it were to be filmed this week (i.e. modern actors). Most of the classics have at least 5 major roles. It would be interesting to see if you go for the leading man slot in the first round, or nab that character actor before someone else can, but take a weaker leading man.  Winner is the person with the best collection of actors to pull off the film.

Example:  Gone with the Wind Draft.

Rhett: Paul Walker

Scarlett: Jennifer Connelly

Ashley: Tobey McGuire

Melanie: Scarlett Johansson

Mammy: Octavia Spencer

I decide to skip the Rhett Butler role and nab a Oscar winner Octavia Spencer. But by the time I get back to Rhett, I, for some reason, only have Paul Walker. I have failed and my shame lingers on the board for years.

ETA: It works a lot like a football draft. I may have great receivers, defence, and running backs, but lead by Rex Grossman. Its a team... but... Big Grin

2nd 3rd and 4th this

If there is enough support you can break the draft into 2.  20 drafters each

I like MrTyres idea... BUT there are a couple of things to consider. One is that we've been doing things like this on the "Recast Your Favorite Movies" thread for years now, so we have a lot of practice and it just might not seem that fun for people to restrict it to just one movie. Though I guess the idea of making it one movie and seeing who has the best cast is challenging and interesting.

But it makes it feel like more of a "contest" than these drafts usually are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erix View Post

I like the idea of a one-hour TV drama draft. But we might have to be very strict with what qualifies. Because some "action" or "sci-fi" shows are technically dramas also.

Oh, absolutely.  I use the term "drama" in a very broad sense.  It essentially means "one-hour episodic television."

Yeah, but the recasts threads are movies you choose, and you have an unlimited pool of actors and time periods from which to pull.   With a narrow field, it is a contest, but just like the drafts, you can go for theme picks. I would never want to make a mumblecore Gone with the Wind, but if that is your cake. The challenge would be the actors. Casting against type and making the argument why Patton Oswalt is really just a hard workout regime away from Rhett Butler could be amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post

I also love this idea. There has been some quality 1 hour television shows in things not called The Wire, Mad Men, or Breaking Bad. It might stretch us.

Yeah... I say let's go for that too.

Afterwards, we can draft SITCOMS!

just kidding no not really I actually think that would be cool too sorry I brought it up bye.

No offense but a 1 hour tv draft is a bad idea.  Not everybody will have seen the episode/show which will limit discussion.  You could pick an episode of Dexter and 80% of the draters may have never seen the episode/show.

Voting on the Fan-Casting draft here. I had a suggestion in the other thread that the most brutal way to go would be to start with the bit players and finish with the leads so that the remaining pool of names would be that much more competitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTyres View Post

Yeah, but the recasts threads are movies you choose, and you have an unlimited pool of actors and time periods from which to pull.   With a narrow field, it is a contest, but just like the drafts, you can go for theme picks. I would never want to make a mumblecore Gone with the Wind, but if that is your cake. The challenge would be the actors. Casting against type and making the argument why Patton Oswalt is really just a hard workout regime away from Rhett Butler could be amazing.

The problem with this is that it's even more complicated than a normal draft, which takes a good degree of organization.  But I think a fun way to do it is have everyone draft a certain number of actors and only have the movies randomly assigned afterward.

And I think the competition aspect should be cranked up.  You could even do a knockout of everyone's drafted remakes after to crown a winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyawatchin Angel View Post

No offense but a 1 hour tv draft is a bad idea.  Not everybody will have seen the episode/show which will limit discussion.  You could pick an episode of Dexter and 80% of the draters may have never seen the episode/show.

Because everyone has seen every sci-fi movie ever made?  The big issue I could see with it is that the spoiler-averse might eschew it entirely.

Quote:

Because everyone has seen every sci-fi movie ever made?

Obviously not but I bet most in the sci fi drafters have seen 85-90%+ of the scifi movies drafted.  Out of the 60 or so I've missed 5 or 6.

There is more of a commonaity among films than tv shows.  Plus there is a generation gap.  Those 30+ will have seen a hell of alot more.

I just don't think a draft where half of the people or more drafting didn't see a particular tv show is much fun.  But just about everyone has seen 2001, Total Recall, E.T, Inception...

AI'm sure it will self-select the participants along those lines. Not really seeing how it being tv makes it materially different from a 60s or western draft. If anything it would disadvantage the younger participants less due to the huge uptick in general quality of tv in the last 20 years[quote name="Anyawatchin Angel" url="/community/t/147438/ideas-for-future-drafts#post_3490465"]Obviously not but I bet most in the sci fi drafters have seen 85-90%+ of the scifi movies drafted.  Out of the 60 or so I've missed 5 or 6. 

There is more of a commonaity among films than tv shows.  Plus there is a generation gap.  Those 30+ will have seen a hell of alot more. 

I just don't think a draft where half of the people or more drafting didn't see a particular tv show is much fun.  But just about everyone has seen 2001, Total Recall, E.T, Inception...
[/quote]

I'll throw out the idea for a WTF! Movie Draft. The weird, the cult, the simply unexplainable.

Quote:

Not really seeing how it being tv makes it materially different from a 60s or western draft.

For 1 thing many have seen 100+ movies from the 60's.  Maybe not as many westerns.  How manty tv shows from the 60's have you seen, can name the titles and have the vast majority of drafters seen them.

And will anything pre 90's even be picked?  And if so how many will know it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin View Post

I'll throw out the idea for a WTF! Movie Draft. The weird, the cult, the simply unexplainable.

I love this idea.

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."

"We're not gonna make it, are we? People, I mean.

"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves."

"Yeah. Major drag, huh?."

"Mind if I do a J?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyawatchin Angel View Post

For 1 thing many have seen 100+ movies from the 60's.  Maybe not as many westerns.  How manty tv shows from the 60's have you seen, can name the titles and have the vast majority of drafters seen them.

And will anything pre 90's even be picked?  And if so how many will know it?

Answering those questions seems like the entire point of a draft.

We have a half dozen other good idea floated out here, so it's not like we need to do this one.  But I don't think "dramatic TV" is nearly as obscure a topic as you're making it out to be.