Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ideas For Future Drafts
Yes, if it's within all within a single framework, then sure it could work. Sort of how we did the Leone double.
(06-10-2018, 12:54 PM)Dent6084 Wrote:
(06-10-2018, 12:01 PM)boone daniels Wrote: I've long thought it would be a fun parameter for the casting drafts to say you can't cast anyone who was cast in the immediately preceding draft. One of the problems, I think, with the casting drafts, is that you can kind of predict the same 10-12 actors are going to go at some point  - there's a reason why Walton Goggins and Peter Dinklage and Tilda Swinton are running jokes.

Yeah, that sounds like a really fun rule. I also think the next draft may be time for the first retro draft - 40s or 50s actors in something more modern, like a retro Blade Runner or Fury Road or something.

While I like the idea of trying to cut down on repetition, I don't know how I'd feel about going into a draft with, say, 200 choices immediately off-limits.

I'm still very much in favor of the retro idea. If we did do, for example, a 60s Avengers, would we be pulling broadly from the whole decade, or would we narrow it down to a specific year?
when I've spitballed that idea before, I've suggested saying that you're drawing from all of the actors who were active in the particular decade in use. Essentially, the actor had to release at least one film during that decade to be considered a viable candidate. We could perhaps add in the parameter that the actor had to be alive at the end of the decade.
I was also thinking, since we're throwing ideas around, maybe coming up with a collective list of our 10-15 most used actors and taking them off the table for the next cassting draft, if we do do casting draft. That might split the difference.
home taping is killing music
if we do a recasting draft using a prior decade, we'd be eliminating the issue of seeing Dinklage/Swinton/Fassbender et al.
And if we did a bunch of 60's-70's recasts eventually people would get tired of seeing Warren Oates. There are just certain actors who are always going to be thought of for certain parts. To recycle the analogy I used earlier, it's like playing a card in a deck. Sure, we can mix it up. Use a different deck, so to speak. But taking cards out of the deck just because it's always a good play to use your wizard who has the bonus fire damage (or whatever, I don't play those kind of card games) seems pointless. Again, if the goal is to try to compete for picks and one up each other, then we should be striving to use the same pool as much as possible, whether that's modern, retro, or what have you. If it's more about being creative and obscure, then we might as well just be posting in the "recast your favorite movies" thread.
Yeah, I feel like introducing rules to limit who's cast is just going to make the process more convoluted and just seems kinda arbitrary. We all got tired of seeing Tilda Swinton, so people stopped drafting her. I think any of us would still use her, but it had better be a hell of a pick. So, it worked itself out. I think the solution to mixing things up is to do stuff like period drafts and for the modern stuff making sure we pick films that allow for some creativity/diversity in casting. GGR just feels like casting a bunch of middle aged men, but stuff like Alien or SotL were really fun casts to build.

Also wouldn't mind trying out more offbeat draft ideas for shorter drafts. Something like re-cast an animated movie or cast a live-action version of an animated movie. I think a voice actor draft would actually be a lot of fun.
(06-12-2018, 03:50 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: when I've spitballed that idea before, I've suggested saying that you're drawing from all of the actors who were active in the particular decade in use. Essentially, the actor had to release at least one film during that decade to be considered a viable candidate. We could perhaps add in the parameter that the actor had to be alive at the end of the decade.

I do think there should be some kind of provision like that, that ensures there's some career overlap between the actors. But, at the same time, it would be unfortunate to remove Bogart from consideration for a 50s cast, or Bruce Lee for the 70s, etc.

(06-12-2018, 06:39 PM)hypnotoad Wrote: Also wouldn't mind trying out more offbeat draft ideas for shorter drafts. Something like re-cast an animated movie or cast a live-action version of an animated movie. I think a voice actor draft would actually be a lot of fun.
Those are cool ideas.

I'm not looking to do another draft anytime too soon, but I think we've got some stuff worth considering here.
I'd love to do a cast of BLADE RUNNER using actors from the 50s or maybe the 60s. Hell, even earlier.
Couple ideas I thought could be a hoot:

-SNL sketch draft: Pretty self-explanatory

-SNL Cast Draft: Basically draft your own cast using any current or previous cast members from the show
SNL Cast Draft is a great idea!
Thanks! The one issue is you're dealing with a thin pool of total cast members, around 160 or so. But that could be helped a bit by having two "wild card" slots where you cast anybody you want for your draft. Maybe even have a slot devoted to a host or a musical guest. Just brainstorming.
I think I mentioned it before, but what about drafting actors for a Shakespeare repertory company? The list at the end would be using the same actors to cast multiple plays.
Yeah, we talked about the Shakespeare idea. I like it - with the framing being that you're casting two plays - one comedy and then either one history or one tragedy.
We did a rep company draft years ago.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
The rep company draft was a highlight of the old drafts, but I think an issue with it was we had to come up with the films ourselves. A Shakespeare rep draft - or something similar - would give it a bit more shape.
I like the rep idea a lot.
Yeah, I think the best, most creative drafts - in particular, the Batman one and the Universal Monsters one - have had that "rep company" feeling already.

One thing that springs to mind when thinking about the old rep draft and how to build on that one, you could do a list of "properties" that you're casting for, with each person choosing three from a list:

--a (non-comic book) remake
--a book adaptation
--a Shakespeare play
--one original idea
--a biopic
--a historical epic
--a comic book adaptation
--a musical adaptation

Just to open it up, as I don't know if everyone will be as excited to do Shakespeare as some of us nerds.

Here's the discussion thread for the Rep Draft:

http://citizens.trouble.city/showthread....99&page=36

That one, we had to say why we chose certain actors:

http://citizens.trouble.city/showthread.php?tid=109220

Chosen:

http://citizens.trouble.city/showthread.php?tid=109200

We also had separate threads for each of the projects, which were given a title and genre by Nick. Here's the drama - some fun ideas in here!

http://citizens.trouble.city/showthread.php?tid=109380
I never did finish all the projects for that rep draft, but I was pretty proud of my Coen Brothers "Romeo & Juliet at a carnival" take.

----------

Yeah, I don't think anyone completed all of theirs. That one - spread across two weeks* - kind of petered out.

*God, moving drafts to a week was one of the smartest things we ever did.
Drafts lose all momentum when they go into week 2. Draft fatigue sets in pretty quickly and it starts to feel like a chore rather than something fun to do.
The Bond draft is the only one I can recall maintaining some kind of momentum into Week 2. That was a fun one.
I always maintained that the problem with the two-week drafts is that stopping on the weekend absolutely killed the momentum. Yeah, people have lives and do things on the weekends, but you're in the swing of things and then there's a screeching halt.

----------