Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IRON MAN 3 Post-Release
AHope I'm not jumping the gun on this thread, but wanted a safe place for the spoilers to play.
AIts not for another two weeks in the U.S.!

Not that I can blame anyone for being enthusiastic.

I saw this last Friday morning in Ireland. I'll repost what I said in the pre-release thread (don't worry - no spoilers).

I'll happily answer any questions (using spoiler tags, of course) but I will say this - try to see this movie as unspoiled as you can. I avoided all trailers and TV spots and was very glad I did -

"I saw this at a press screening in Dublin, Ireland yesterday. I won't be posting spoilers below, so don't worry. And no, I'm not a plant. I review movies for a couple of Irish websites and my own Twitter account. I saw in in Ireland's only IMAX theatre. Also, I deliberately avoided all trailers and TV spots so I went in totally unspoiled.

In terms of where I'm coming from I liked the first two Iron Man movies but didn't love them. I thought they were just above average but were elevated by Robert Downey Jr.'s performance. But I loved The Avengers.

I genuinely loved it and thought it was much, MUCH better than the first two. It's funny, witty and a great spectacle visually. The 3D was some of the best I have seen on the big screen too (I'm not sure if it was a post-conversion or not).

It deserves to be a huge hit. The summer movie season has truly kicked off in style and the bar has been raised - high. Shane Black knockesit out of the park and proves that he can direct action just as well as he can write.

It's about on a par with The Avengers in terms of humour and wit. It has about ten 10 genuine laugh-out-loud moments and and about five total geek-out ones. Downey has never been better as Stark and all the characters are very well written. Even the villains are well fleshed-out and their motivations are clear.

Sure, I had a few minor quibbles here and there but the movie gave me no time to dwell on them. Maybe they'll bug me more the second time around. Who knows?

I can't wait to see it again when it opens."

Embargos suck ass.

Was there a Post Credits scene?

AYes.
A[quote name="felix" url="/community/t/147651/iron-man-3-post-release#post_3499597"]Was there a Post Credits scene?
[/quote]

Yes.

(Apologies for the double post. I was browsing on my phone)

Interesting enough to stay behind for? It gets released here later this weeek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post

Interesting enough to stay behind for? It gets released here later this weeek.

It's more of a punchline than a scene that will have any significance for later Iron Man movies or an Avengers sequel. It's a bit of fun, but worth staying for, yes.

Read a review from someone else at the premier - they were incredibly positive, especially about Ben Kingsley, who it would seem steals the show and then some. The only quibbles were that it was a bit too long and that when they thought about it afterwards, the Mandarin's endgame didn't really hold up.

To get an idea of where they're coming from generally, they greatly disliked Iron Man 2 (especially thematically) and found The Avengers passably enjoyable but entirely forgettable fluff but really liked how the aftermath of the latter was strongly referenced in this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel Red View Post

To get an idea of where they're coming from generally, they greatly disliked Iron Man 2 (especially thematically) and found The Avengers passably enjoyable but entirely forgettable fluff but really liked how the aftermath of the latter was strongly referenced in this one.

So..so you mean I might finally, actually, genuinely like a Marvel film this time?

Well huzzah....I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel Red View Post

Read a review from someone else at the premier - they were incredibly positive, especially about Ben Kingsley, who it would seem steals the show and then some. The only quibbles were that it was a bit too long and that when they thought about it afterwards, the Mandarin's endgame didn't really hold up.

Any chance of a link to said review?

Okay, since this is post release, I want to ask about the only thing that worries me:

The army of Iron Men at the end -- are they all controlled by Stark, or are they they people who are forced into Extremis enhancements? From the trailers, it looked to me that a bunch of solders -- and Pepper -- are all captured and made to wear suits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post

Okay, since this is post release, I want to ask about the only thing that worries me:

The army of Iron Men at the end -- are they all controlled by Stark, or are they they people who are forced into Extremis enhancements? From the trailers, it looked to me that a bunch of solders -- and Pepper -- are all captured and made to wear suits.

Okay, I can answer it but I really, REALLY recommend seeing this as unspoiled as possible...

They are all controlled remotely by Stark (well, Jarvis). The suits are not occupied by anyone. This is a new technology that we see Stark working on near the start of the film. Stark can call on any of them as he pleases and "wear" the suit if needs be. The army of "Iron Men" is used to fight an army of people with Extremis enhancements. And it's an awesome action scene.

I appreciate the info.

The early rumors that Star was going to be "telepathically" controlling a whole army of suits was just way too comic-booky for my tastes. The notion that Jarvis is able to control them makes a whole lot more sense though, and I'm not worried about being totally throw off by the film like I was with Iron Man 2. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post

I appreciate the info.

The early rumors that Star was going to be "telepathically" controlling a whole army of suits was just way too comic-booky for my tastes. The notion that Jarvis is able to control them makes a whole lot more sense though, and I'm not worried about being totally throw off by the film like I was with Iron Man 2. Thanks!

If you like the first two, The Avengers and are a fan of Shane Black's style then you have nothing to worry about. Honestly, I thought it was a blast. Easily the best of the three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown1138 View Post

Honestly, I thought it was a blast. Easily the best of the three.

You said it for me.

Seeing this opening night here tomorrow and CAN.  NOT.  WAIT.

AThat's it. I'm moving to New Zealand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The NZ Natural View Post

Seeing this opening night here tomorrow and CAN.  NOT.  WAIT.

tomorrow?  Dude, have my tickets for midnight tonight.  Just a  couple of hours away.  Need to load up on caffeine though as I'm broken.

Also are we SPOILER SPACING this sucker?  Seems only polite I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELCTM View Post

I've read all about the "twist" and I'm glad that Black didn't turn Mandarin into some generic terrorist supervillain. Now, for those of you who don't know, fuck right off because I'm going to spoil the shit out of this like I would Chloe Moretz's sweet little pink taco the day she turns legal.

You aren't going to last long here im afraid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELCTM View Post

...Now, for those of you who don't know, fuck right off because I'm going to spoil the shit out of this like I would Chloe Moretz's sweet little pink taco the day she turns legal.

...but what these stupid cocksuckers...

Something to think about.

Yep, something to think about. Chud community is pretty mature. Think before typing.

Of course that's Creepy Thin Man.

People who have seen it: how much of a Shane Black movie is this? I don't really care about Iron Man (kinda hate the first 2 movies, actually), but I love Black when he's on. Is his voice present here, or does this just feel like a better done Iron Man movie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown1138 View Post

Yes.

Can you spoiler text what it was.  It was 2am, and when it didn;t appear after the (great) 80s ending I couldn;t be arsed waiting.  Also was Gary (the new truck guy with the tattoo) Shane Black?

Really, really liked this movie.  The attack on his mansion had my jaw on the floor and, I think, for the first time people felt at risk in an Iron Man movie.  He spends so much time out of his suit, or getting it totally rooted that he never feels "safe"

And funny.  QUite a few laugh out moments, which is just as well because other than that it was pretty damn dark.  Even some of the comedy were pretty black. "Yeah, Dad's leave, don;t be a pussy about it".

Lots of Avengers call backs and TBH the whole thing is essentially answering Captain America's "take away the suit and what are you?" question.

I really liked the jumping in and out of suits.  I was stunned at quite how violent it was.  Some of the extremis stuff (especially the bird in the small town) was really full on.

But Ben Kingsley.  Fucking gold.

"'ello, my name's Trevor.  Trevor Slattery".  Amazing.

What a blast Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.S. Randlett View Post

People who have seen it: how much of a Shane Black movie is this? I don't really care about Iron Man (kinda hate the first 2 movies, actually), but I love Black when he's on. Is his voice present here, or does this just feel like a better done Iron Man movie?

Haven't seen too many of his films, but I think it's definately his Iron Man, rather than him just writing/ directing an Iron Man (if that makes sense).  It's easily, EASILY the best Iron Man movie IMO.  And that could be because it's more of a Shane Black movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.S. Randlett View Post

Absolutely do not like the first two (outside of RDJ's performance and seeing War Machine kick ass.)

Hm.

Where they ultimately go with the character of The Mandarin is going to be deeply polarizing, more with fans of the source material than general audiences.  Some will think it's clever and very Shane Black, while others will see it as a waste of a potentially interesting nemesis.  Very curious to read what you guys think once this has been released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bain View Post

Can you spoiler text what it was.  It was 2am, and when it didn;t appear after the (great) 80s ending I couldn;t be arsed waiting.  Also was Gary (the new truck guy with the tattoo) Shane Black?

Really, really liked this movie.  The attack on his mansion had my jaw on the floor and, I think, for the first time people felt at risk in an Iron Man movie.  He spends so much time out of his suit, or getting it totally rooted that he never feels "safe"

And funny.  QUite a few laugh out moments, which is just as well because other than that it was pretty damn dark.  Even some of the comedy were pretty black. "Yeah, Dad's leave, don;t be a pussy about it".

Lots of Avengers call backs and TBH the whole thing is essentially answering Captain America's "take away the suit and what are you?" question.

I really liked the jumping in and out of suits.  I was stunned at quite how violent it was.  Some of the extremis stuff (especially the bird in the small town) was really full on.

But Ben Kingsley.  Fucking gold.

"'ello, my name's Trevor.  Trevor Slattery".  Amazing.

What a blast Smile

Sure,

The post-credits scene shows Stark lying on a couch telling the whole story of the movie to Mark Ruffalo's Bruce Banner (which explains the voice over device). It turns out that Banner had nodded off near the beginning of the whole tale and has missed pretty much everything Stark said.. Funny scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBar View Post

Absolutely do not like the first two (outside of RDJ's performance and seeing War Machine kick ass.)

I wasn't a huge fan of the first two either (although I DID like The Avengers) but this has Shane Black written all over it...

For example - Downey Jr.'s wisecracking voice over, a Christmas setting and a few digs at Hollywood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco Senior View Post

Hm.

Where they ultimately go with the character of The Mandarin is going to be deeply polarizing, more with fans of the source material than general audiences.  Some will think it's clever and very Shane Black, while others will see it as a waste of a potentially interesting nemesis.  Very curious to read what you guys think once this has been released.

Well I knew nothing about the Madarin from the comics so it was actually a relief when it wasn't just some Bin Laden rip off.  Plus Ben Kingsley has some of the best lines and the best delivery of them when he's revealed as Trevor.
"you might want to give that 20 minutes" when he comes out of the khazi, then the girls "eeeewwwwwwww" when they are told to go hide in there is gold.

also, it'll be interesting to know what people thought of

Pepper Potts, bad ass extremis person

personally, I liked it.

Keep thinking about some of the funnier lines in this movie.  Good sign.

Well that was pretty great.  As I just posted on the Facebooks, Marvel fanboys chant "In Whedon We Trust", while the DC nerds counter with "In Nolan We Trust".  But anyone who knows the first thing about action movies knows . . . you always bet on Black.  Thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish.

Some people who stayed back for the post-credits stinger seemed a bit gypped that it wasn't something "grander", but I thought it was fantastic and definitely tied in with the film's - nay, Black's - sense of humour.

"Seriously, I hate it here.  It sucks, and the people are weird!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.smeg View Post

Yep, something to think about. Chud community is pretty mature. Think before typing.

Says a man named Mr. Smeg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The NZ Natural View Post

The DC nerds counter with "In Nolan We Trust".

That's Batman fans. As a DC nerd, I can assure you that my maxim is "Trust No One."

EDIT: Except maybe Bruce Timm. And Dwayne McDuffie, and of course the universe saw fit to take him away.