Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IRON MAN 3 Post-Release
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucho View Post

I can vividly remember the voice in my head sparking up about halfway through with, "Why am I bored while watching an RDJ film made by my boy Shane Black?" You nailed it.

I looked over at my friend and said "...is this bad, or am I really missing something?"

She shook her head and said it was just bad.

AMadness!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

Ugh! You're so wrong though. Killian rocks it.

"You look like a little turtle. In your little turtle suit."

Killian wasn't really good until the final fight with Tony. On the whole, I prefer his main henchman as a villain.

I still think that the main reason this is so highly regarded (aside from RDJ's performance and the general Marvel brand) is that it's a Shane Black joint.

James Badge Dale!  Loved him!

But I also dug Killian more when he was a gangly geek and a slick suit!

JMD was a better villain than Pearce, but that wasn't Pearce's fault.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

James Badge Dale!  Loved him!

But I also dug Killian more when he was a gangly geek and a slick suit!

I would have loved if Black and Marvel had actually gone full insane and had Killian's Extremis powers go haywire, he starts bulging and absorbing stuff and then he turns into Fing Fang Foom. (I still say Adi Granov's version would work onscreen, despite the lack of purple pants)

Seriously.

A giant mecha dragon voiced by Guy Pearce? yes please.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post

Also, don't know if it's the writing, the lack of chemistry between RDJ and Cheadle, or something else, but I've never liked Cheadle in the role. I can't figure that out because I like him and the dude's a gifted actor. I just never buy him as Stark's bestie.

I'm a fan of Cheadle's but his energy just does not jibe with this character/these movies.

AI still love this movie. The commentary track is great too. Although if marvel fanboys listen to it I'm sure it'll piss them off even more. Love Black calling the cgi "cartoons,a really good cartoon."
ARevisited on blu. Still a lot to love about this.

The Agent Carter short was GREAT. Is the series that cool?

In the BTS materials, I was shocked to see much of the climax was at an actual location.

I appreciate the Pepper "from damsel to badass" turn, the suit falling apart gags, the lovely Rebecca Hall, the Iron Patriot rebrand and backlash, the action set pieces, the bonding with the kid, Happy's 90s hair, Dora watch, Tony-uber-fan's tattoo, Trevor, etc.

Not sure how the events here inform AoU (seeing it tomorrow), bu I'm interested to see if removing the arc reactor or tampering with Extremis leads to anything.

Edit: FYI couldnt find this thread via search function. Google helped.
AAgent Carter really is fantastic. If you liked the short you'll love the series. Atwell is just incredible in it.
AI lurv her so much. I'll blind buy it in home vid then for sure.

The "hey look! Thor!" deleted scene should have stayed in.

And totally forgot the Bruce Banner therapy stinger!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKMITE8 View Post

Revisited on blu. Still a lot to love about this.

The Agent Carter short was GREAT. Is the series that cool?

In the BTS materials, I was shocked to see much of the climax was at an actual location.

I appreciate the Pepper "from damsel to badass" turn, the suit falling apart gags, the lovely Rebecca Hall, the Iron Patriot rebrand and backlash, the action set pieces, the bonding with the kid, Happy's 90s hair, Dora watch, Tony-uber-fan's tattoo, Trevor, etc.

Not sure how the events here inform AoU (seeing it tomorrow), bu I'm interested to see if removing the arc reactor or tampering with Extremis leads to anything.

Edit: FYI couldnt find this thread via search function. Google helped.

Protip: It doesn't. You may as well have not even bothered to see Iron Man 3 since AoU completely ignores it and the conflict yet again hinges on Stark's paranoia over not being able to deal with any alien threats. 

Basically Tony Stark does what Tony Stark does.

No, AoU ignores some of the developments in the individual films, but it's not like the continuity in the comics is airtight, so I won't hold that against them.

I love Iron Man 3 - the action is very clever I think. My favorite is Tony out of the suit holding off super-powered opponents with what he find lying around a kitchen.

I think the Mandarin twist is hilarious, but then, I was never into that character. I can see how a fan would be bothered. God help them if they ever treated Doom that way.

Yeah, it largely ignores what happens in the non-Winter Soldier movies, but it doesn't contradict them or anything.  I guess if you're a huge continuity wonk, then...well, let's be honest.  You're never going to be happy and will die alone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post

I guess if you're a huge continuity wonk, then...well, let's be honest.  You're never going to be happy and will die alone.

Yeah I figured that was going to happen anyway but I guess this just solidifies that.

AI remember Whedon saying after first seeing what Shane Black did with IM3: "What am I supposed to do now? What am I going to do in Avengers 2?"

Back then, it appeared that was Whedon's self-deprecating wit. Now? Funny. It's almost as if he had his own vision for Stark and honestly wasn't sure how to reconcile his vision with Black's. Wanda messing with Stark's head kind of gives the new film some wiggle room, but ultimately it is still weird to see Stark back in the armor and building crazy suits.

Well...then what is the point of the MCU if one can't expect some consistency with its characters? Then it really proves my point that the "cinematic universe" is nothing more than an excuse to overload these movies with a shit ton of fanservice to justify a bunch of sequels. It really does cheapen Iron Man 3; and yeah, I'm a little annoyed by it because I do like Iron Man 3 and thought it finally progressed the Tony Stark character.

I am not seeing the cheapening at all.  PTSD doesn't magically go away once you have a nice talk about it.  Things (like telepathic Eastern European girls) can make you regress.  Slide back into destructive tendencies.  The shit doesn't go away, you just learn to live with it.

And Tony builds crazy robots and suits because that's pretty much all he knows.  He builds weapons, even when he doesn't plan it (see The Arc Reactor).  The only difference being, in AOU he focusses those abilities on specific goals, crowd control with the Iron Legion, one normal Iron Man suit and one highly specialized one and even Ultron and later Vision are planned and built with a specific goal in mind.  This is nowhere near the same as him obsessively building more and more suits to deal with things he can't vocalize.

I'm not that crazy about IM3 and even I don't think AOU somehow negates it.  If anything, it helps Whedon because it means Tony doesn't have a a few dozen drone suits to call and help out (they could have made a HUGE difference in the last fight against Ultron).

But Tony's not a different person at the end of IM3. He's just given up trying to build and automate suits for every possible contingency. He's found a peace of sorts that HE is Iron Man.

What Wanda does, as pointed out above, is exploit a weakness and fear in Tony. Our own Bartelby has pointed out that one of the interesting things about Stark in the MCU is that he essentially keeps making the same mistakes, with slight variations. Tony's an engineer and an inventor, not an ideologue.

AMichael, don't you know that once a person has learned from a mistake they never make the same mistake again?

:Looks hard at the United States Congress:
A[quote name="Ska Oreo" url="/community/t/147651/iron-man-3-post-release/1300_50#post_3881574"]Well...then what is the point of the MCU if one can't expect some consistency with its characters? Then it really proves my point that the "cinematic universe" is nothing more than an excuse to overload these movies with a shit ton of fanservice to justify a bunch of sequels. It really does cheapen Iron Man 3; and yeah, I'm a little annoyed by it because I do like Iron Man 3 and thought it finally progressed the Tony Stark character. 
[/quote]
If they can handwave away Extremis with a bit if narration at the end of IM3, they can handwave a relapse back into obsessive behavior with "magic".

I wrote on the AOU post release that Tony over reacts to the lesson of Iron Man 3. Instead of creating multiple suits, he tries to create a world that doesn't need Iron Man or the Avengers and that back fires on him.

I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
Quote:

Originally Posted by DARKMITE8 View Post

If they can handwave away Extremis with a bit if narration at the end of IM3

Did they?

Pretty much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaz View Post

I wrote on the AOU post release that Tony over reacts to the lesson of Iron Man 3. Instead of creating multiple suits, he tries to create a world that doesn't need Iron Man or the Avengers and that back fires on him.

I like this interpretation.

I also like the IM3 takeaway that he overcomes his MASSIVE insecurity in that film that stemmed largely from what Cap said in Avengers, the whole "Take away your toys and what are you?"  In Avengers Tony had a snarky comeback, but to me, at least, it seemed like IM3 showed that that really got to him and he didn't quite know how he stacked up against supermen and gods and Hulks.   (Made me really wonder if he just thought Hawkeye and Widow were batshit insane - at least HE had a flying suit of armor!)

When I saw IM3 the first time my take-home impression of his arc was that in the end, he realizes that Iron Man (i.e the Suit) isn't the hero, Tony Stark is.  Meaning it's not JUST the suits, it's the whole package - his brains, his ingenuity, etc.  and that he's now confident that he does stack up as a legit member of this group regardless of if he's wearing metal or not.  The problem is, this doesn't mollify his ego, it throws GASOLINE on it, which to me is exactly what AOU showed.   So to my reading it was a pretty organic progression.

AYou may disagree here, but I always found Tony's Clean Slate Program and final 'I am Iron Man' pretty vague and it doesn't surprise me that people interpret it differently[quote name="Analog Olmos" url="/community/t/147651/iron-man-3-post-release/1300#post_3882449"]I like this interpretation.

I also like the IM3 takeaway that he overcomes his MASSIVE insecurity in that film that stemmed largely from what Cap said in Avengers, the whole "Take away your toys and what are you?"  In Avengers Tony had a snarky comeback, but to me, at least, it seemed like IM3 showed that that really got to him and he didn't quite know how he stacked up against supermen and gods and Hulks.   (Made me really wonder if he just thought Hawkeye and Widow were batshit insane - at least HE had a flying suit of armor!)

When I saw IM3 the first time my take-home impression of his arc was that in the end, he realizes that Iron Man (i.e the Suit) isn't the hero, Tony Stark is.  Meaning it's not JUST the suits, it's the whole package - his brains, his ingenuity, etc.  and that he's now confident that he does stack up as a legit member of this group regardless of if he's wearing metal or not.  The problem is, this doesn't mollify his ego, it throws GASOLINE on it, which to me is exactly what AOU showed.   So to my reading it was a pretty organic progression.
[/quote]

Love this
AEven if he tosses his arc reactor off the cliff in a gesture (discarding his slavish reliance on tech)... he still cant help hinself from picking up a screwdriver and driving off with a pile of workshop salvage, including one of his robot helpers. His plan to create more powerful tech and stop arms-dealing, backfires again and again. He actually exacerbates and escalates the fight. The road to Scarlet Witch's nightmarish vision is paved with good intentions, and the bodies of your conrades.

Tony is a paradoxical contradiction.