Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IRON MAN 3 Post-Release

Brian Tyler has composed the...Best Score for an Iron Man Film yet.  His score is a...STARK Contrast to RZA's Score.  Tyler's music is So...EPIC, he makes the other composers...Expendable Too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke fleed View Post

Brian Tyler has composed the...Best Score for an Iron Man Film yet.  His score is a...STARK Contrast to RZA's Score.  Tyler's music is So...EPIC, he makes the other composers...Expendable Too!

I've heard good things.  I liked the original score by Ramin Djawadi, but I didn't find much memorable about the score in IM2.  Glad to hear there's a recognizable theme in this one.  Might have to buy it.

Agood to hear I'm not the only fan of the rza scores
Quote:

Agreed. Tyler has created the most memorable superhero theme since Michael Giacchino's The Incredibles. The "Can You Dig It" track which plays over the end credit montage is stunning...and fun!

AListening to that and remembering those end titles puts such a shit-eating grin on my face, people sharing my commute are starting to back away slowly. I think a second visit to see this may be in order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhp1608 View Post

Listening to that and remembering those end titles puts such a shit-eating grin on my face, people sharing my commute are starting to back away slowly. I think a second visit to see this may be in order.

I feel the same way! I have already seen it twice and feel compelled to catch it again before it leaves theatres. I haven't felt that way about a movie in long time...

Great piece of driving music too!

I see Harry has a theory that the Mandarin reveal is a triple-bluff, based on (a) Killian referring to him as the Master, (b) an interpretation that the information on the Vice-President is a deliberate misdrection and © some visual clues given by Kingsley in his performance.

I don't see it myself. The Master could well be just the name Killian uses to the other members of the crew - who is to say anyone outside the inner circle knows the Mandarin is a fake? As for the V-P and acting cues, I can't remember them well enough, but I wasn't left with that impression at all on first viewing.

I saw that. It doesn't make a lick of sense.

I shall debunk that oaf's theory quickly and efficiently with the power of Indisputable Logic! Gather round and bear witness, poppets.

Trev cheered when Liverpool scored, not Chelsea - now if it had been the latter then sure, that would be 100% crystal clear proof that he was really a monstrous and devious supervillain cunningly Kaiser Sozeing the shit out of a baffled and clueless Tony Stark. But instead he celebrated a Liverpool goal, thus showing that he was, at heart, all right really.

Probably best not park your car near him, mind.

<br />

He's a goddam hero!

AThanks for the news Mr saxon

Just caught this, it's ridiculously good. Smart, funny, playful and most importantly bold, which is more than I can say for any Marvel movie that's come out so far.

And the Mandarin reveal? GREAT. The entire scene feels like something ripped out of KKBB.

I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
ACary Hiroyuki Tagawa would be perfect casting

<br />

Nick, Josh, and I go at it in the first Tag-Team Review in a while...

http://www.chud.com/134594/tag-team-review-iron-man-3/

Is it just me, or are 20% of the critics out there extraordinarily, nay, ridiculously sourpussed about this film?  The arguments against it sound like snobbery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlenomad View Post

Is it just me, or are 20% of the critics out there extraordinarily, nay, ridiculously sourpussed about this film?  The arguments against it sound like snobbery.

(I don't mean that in reference to the reviewers on this site.  I'm referring to some of the bizarre critical synopses I've read on Rotten Tomatoes.)

Quote:

Mike's Pants, Maybe Guy Pierce will be revealed to be...Fin Fang Foom!

Please tell me that the fire breathing and dragon tats really were an in-joke by the filmakers about Fing Fang Foom. Don't break my heart. Although I was also praying for a Modok reference after Pierce first revealed his organization's name. Maybe one day.

Anyone that complains about a lack of Hulk, Thor, and Cap in this is a moron.  Given that the events of Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk, and Thor all roughly occur simultaneously, why would you think that the events of Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World, and Captain America: The Winter Soldier be any different?  Thor is off battling Dark Elves in Asgard and Cap & SHIELD are off dealing with another threat.  THAT is how Marvel justifies the lack of massive superhero team-up for every problem both in comics AND in the films.

And while I would absolutely welcome Harry's "Trevor really is the true Mandarin after all" theory to become fact in a future sequel, how about we continue AIM as a threat and bring on MODOK for Iron Man 4 instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D. Bob Plissken View Post

Anyone that complains about a lack of Hulk, Thor, and Cap in this is a moron.  Given that the events of Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk, and Thor all roughly occur simultaneously, why would you think that the events of Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World, and Captain America: The Winter Soldier be any different?  Thor is off battling Dark Elves in Asgard and Cap & SHIELD are off dealing with another threat.  THAT is how Marvel justifies the lack of massive superhero team-up for every problem both in comics AND in the films.

This is one of the dafter criticisms of the film. I love me some crossovers but the last thing this film needed was Chris Evans popping in right at the end.

But you're right they seemingly have it covered. Drew McWeeney asked Feige were SHIELD were and he did his PT Barnum thing and just said "Wait for Winter Soldier".

I think one of the criticisms of the film that bugs me most is "why did the Extremis soldiers get into his suit so easily when no-one else could?"

It's stuff like that that makes me think "did you pay attention, or are you just being wilfully obtuse"

Jarvis states "It's a prototype" and that it's nowhere near battle ready,  The fucking thing LEAKS.  And then when Killian has to get into Iron Patriot he can't he has to heat him out.  As an aside that's how I think he breathed fire, heated up for so long and needed an outlet.

Anyway, I really came here to say:

anyone else seen Trevor Slattery is in the Ender's Game movie?

The End Credit montage is better than Iron Man 2.

Lots of fun.  Mandarin reveal was a hoot, I loved how much Stark was out of the suit... just loved how ridiculously comic-booky it got without losing character and a sense of desperation.

Loved the quick appearance of Yinsen at the beginning.

And finally, a bombastic score for an Iron Man movie with a personality!

AThe Yinsen cameo was so perfectly judged. It actually made me sad seeing him.
"Some other time?" was a little on the nose but it was a really nice moment.

This might also be the first time a villain in an Iron Man movie has actually felt like a serious threat.

Finally, a GUY who can... PEARCE Tony's armor.

A lot of people are talking about either Kingsley or Pearce but I think my favorite bad guy performance in the movie comes from James Badge Dale as the forever smirking henchman who continually fucks up Stark's day. He doesn't really have a lot of dialogue but he more than makes up for that with his choice of body language.  

This isn't better than the first movie.

It had a lot of laughs, which were to be expected the moment Shane got on board, but it felt more like The Adventures of Tony Stark instead of Iron Man. It seemed like every time he got in the suit it immediately came off. It had a good deal of fun ideas (ex: getting around the Mandarin's use of magic) but ultimately it left me underwhelmed in the actual Iron Man department, which I wasn't quite expecting.

Still, better than that wretched second one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evi View Post

This might also be the first time a villain in an Iron Man movie has actually felt like a serious threat.

Finally, a GUY who can... PEARCE Tony's armor.

Ohhh fleed......what Evi?!!

Shaun H, Iron Man 2 is...Better than Iron Man 1, because Don Cheadle is far better as Rhodey, than the...Rhodes less travelled that was played by Terrence Howard!

Evi, Cool Pun!  You must have alot of...Iron in your blood to think of that!

I've yet to see anyone mention yet another golden Stan Lee cameo! It tends to be a given at this point but it's still worth mentioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhp1608 View Post

I see Harry has a theory that the Mandarin reveal is a triple-bluff, based on (a) Killian referring to him as the Master, (b) an interpretation that the information on the Vice-President is a deliberate misdrection and © some visual clues given by Kingsley in his performance.

I don't see it myself. The Master could well be just the name Killian uses to the other members of the crew - who is to say anyone outside the inner circle knows the Mandarin is a fake? As for the V-P and acting cues, I can't remember them well enough, but I wasn't left with that impression at all on first viewing.

Sounds like the fat guy is just reaching for anything to convince himself that the rug-pull wasn't real.

Quote:

Shaun H, Iron Man 2 is...Better than Iron Man 1, because Don Cheadle is far better as Rhodey, than the...Rhodes less travelled that was played by Terrence Howard!

Iron Man 2 makes me want to...Killian myself. I would rather....Iron my hands than be....Peppered by that movie again!

IRON MAN 2 is the CARESS OF STEEL of the Marvel Universe films (so far).

- It's terrible, but you need to have it to complete your collection.

- It has a cult of fans who think it's the best of the bunch.

Saw this last night. As someone who wasn't really a fan of the Phase 1 Marvel movies (save Avengers), I really dug it. Shane Black's voice is definitely here (definitely in some parts more than others). In a lot of ways, this is a movie that feels small, and I think that works in its favor. I do think that the criticism that he doesn't spend enough time in the armor is a bit unfounded, as when the armor does show up it's usually as a punchline to how wily a motherfucker Stark is, which ends up being a much cooler/more fun moment than "Stark gets in armor, blows shit up." The armor hopping finale is pretty fun.

If I have a main criticism, I think the Mandarin misdirection ends up making the movie suffer because it takes the focus off of the movie's main villain. I really liked Pearce in this, but the slight of hand that the movie pulls ends up making him feel a little bit underdeveloped from a character standpoint. I almost feel like a Columbo approach would have worked here: put all of the cards on the table for the audience, but not for Stark. Still, it's not enough to really hurt the movie.

I don't really get the defenders of him not being in the armor enough. Would you be okay with Man of Steel if he's dressed as Clark Kent during most of the action bits? It could present some interesting ideas here and there but ultimately we wanna see him as we expected to see him. Some could counter this argument with saying that Jackman works just fine as Wolverine with no suit, but I'd actually say it's sorely been missing, especially since studios got over their comic costume jitters (and that, even then, Logan was in street clothes in comics much of the time anyway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun H View Post

I don't really get the defenders of him not being in the armor enough. Would you be okay with Man of Steel if he's dressed as Clark Kent during most of the action bits? It could present some interesting ideas here and there but ultimately we wanna see him as we expected to see him. Some could counter this argument with saying that Jackman works just fine as Wolverine with no suit, but I'd actually say it's sorely been missing, especially since studios got over their comic costume jitters (and that, even then, Logan was in street clothes in comics much of the time anyway).

And I don't get the people who have an issue with it. It's a exciting, well-written story and as far as I'm concerned being overly pedantic about the requisite amount of time Tony spends in costume screams of old-school thinking. Do people read a comic book and then complain that the hero wasn't in costume for enough panels?

Saw it last night and loved it. This is the superhero movie I've always wanted but never could put into words. Can't really add much that anyone else hasn't said but I'll echo the love for the reveal which was pure Shane Black genius.