Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS Post-Release Thread
AI just hope it's bad enough that it kills JJ-Trek altogether...
Quote:

Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post

I just hope it's bad enough that it kills JJ-Trek altogether...

But here is why I hope it doesn't:  When the new Star Wars makes metric tonnes of money and Star Trek falls, it only gives more ammunition to the SW vs ST: Wars Rules! fanatics. They will be all "Well, both franchises had Abrams and ours won while yours fell! nanahnanah!" and then they rip my communicator badge off my shirt and steal the cardboard tricorder I made and urinate on it and then I spend my adult life alone forever....

Or something like that.

AWe could still laugh at them, since their franchise will be the one still in the thrall of Jar Jar Abrams...
ADon't worry Tyres, if anybody tries that shit ill straight up Vulcan nerve pinch their junk.

Star Trek Into Darkness: One Year Later

Quote:

It’s a nice moment—but also a disingenuous one, given that Star Trek Into Darkness is one of the bleaker, more cynical blockbusters in recent years. It’s hard to buy into a hopeful vision for the future when it’s delivered in the final 90 seconds of a two-hour spectacle of death, violence, and destruction on a massive city-wide scale. The whole thing rings hollow, like a speech on the importance of fire safety from a convicted arsonist.

From that article:

Into Darkness is a sleek, thrilling epic that’s also a triumphantly witty popcorn morality play. It’s everything you could want in a Star Trek movie.” —Owen Gleiberman, Entertainment Weekly

Jesus Wept!

Owen Gleiberman obviously never met Mr Stockslivevan.

AWent to see the Houston Symphony perform with the movie last night, and none other than Michael Giacchino was there to introduce and talk about about how he writes. Friday night they'd done the same for 2009 Star Trek, and I wish I'd gotten to see both.

Having some distance from the film (and having the symphony playing it live) made STID go down WAY better than the first time, to the degree that I'm reasonably positive if every other lazy plot device stayed the same (I.e. Keep Kurtz and orci's superblood fetish) and they'd just had it be one of the other supermen woken up this time instead of Khan, the movie AGAIN would have skated by on the likability of these actors.

Pine, in particular, was REALLY trying in this one, and it's a shame he got stuck with such a shitty script.

But if you've got a chance to see either of these with the symphony accompaniment, get out there and support your symphony and enjoy some of Giacchino's best work. I'm looking forward to listening to his scores for decades to come.

Lindelof cops to the Khan denial and reveal being rather large fuck-ups:

Quote:

When we did “Star Trek Into Darkness” for example, we decided that we weren’t going to tell people that Benedict Cumberbatch was playing Khan. And that was a mistake, because the audience was like, “We know he’s playing Khan.” That was why it was a mistake.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/features/left...201649433/

(If you're one of the four people watching The Leftovers, beware: some very large spoilers in that article.)

It was a mistake.  Because that was a mistake.  Because audiences were all like "that was why it was a mistake."

Yeah, it's a weirdly worded acknowledgment of fucking it up. My guess is he's not wanting to fully throw Abrams under the bus.